Leamington new ground

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Leamington new ground

Post by JE93 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

Saw this thread from Leamington FC on Twitter last night regarding their new ground. Lots to be jealous of, not least the level of support from Warwick District Council. If only DFC could get some real strong local government support behind us and build the football club into the local plan.

https://twitter.com/LeamingtonFC/status ... dAEJg&s=19

Yarblockos

Re: Leamington new ground

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Cost of £13.8m, funded through Government investment zone (I don't know how this works) to Warwick District Council, Leamington then buy the ground for 450K and then give back to WDC.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Darlington has a new community stadium already, home of Darlington Town.
I cant see any more money being available for another community stadium.
The longer it goes on, the less likely it will be that we get our own ground.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am
Saw this thread from Leamington FC on Twitter last night regarding their new ground. Lots to be jealous of, not least the level of support from Warwick District Council. If only DFC could get some real strong local government support behind us and build the football club into the local plan.

As if our Labour council will be interested in helping us out at all.

Our only chance was keeping the Tories in until spades went into the ground.

Turkeys voting for Xmas, reap what you sow, short sighted, myopic etc etc.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm
JE93 wrote:

Just like HS2 :lol:
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Darlington Council, under Labour, have always favoured the rugby teams in the area. When you see what Mowden get away with on big events, especially with parking, you can see the obvious bias. Even match day parking for them is free whereas we were told we had to charge!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

Don't forget the Council gave us the new all-weather pitch/car park built on former cattle market site! Zero potholes there. Wasted opportunity for a stadium

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am
Don't forget the Council gave us the new all-weather pitch/car park built on former cattle market site! Zero potholes there. Wasted opportunity for a stadium
The land footprint wasn’t big enough for a stadium.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:37 am

loan_star wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm
Spyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Darlington Council, under Labour, have always favoured the rugby teams in the area. When you see what Mowden get away with on big events, especially with parking, you can see the obvious bias. Even match day parking for them is free whereas we were told we had to charge!
Aye, the Tories were just about to build us a new ground imminently. Mayor Airport was poised to put spades in the ground at any moment. They just ran out of time.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:44 am

Am I right in thinking that the Leamington ground will be all seater (unclear from the plans)?

I think we would need to preserve terrracing in any future stadium (and possibly half time migration), i would imagine that would cut the cost too. One big stand, and 3 tin sheds would be sufficient for our purposes at present. Of course, the big obstacle is suitable land, and funding (which has little to do with the political hue of the council, as much as people wish to reduce the discussion to that).
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:35 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:44 am
Am I right in thinking that the Leamington ground will be all seater (unclear from the plans)?

. .
Only main stand seated the rest is covered standing I believe they tweeted during the meeting

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:49 pm

Lawman3 wrote:

I think we would need to preserve terrracing in any future stadium (and possibly half time migration), i would imagine that would cut the cost too. One big stand, and 3 tin sheds would be sufficient for our purposes at present. Of course, the big obstacle is suitable land, and funding (which has little to do with the political hue of the council, as much as people wish to reduce the discussion to that).
Ironically DJ said we would be best not getting Labour back in as it might hinder any progress on the ground. Since Labour have got back in we have heard zero more info on any progress. That’s why I think it’s now dead in the water.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:05 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:49 pm
Lawman3 wrote:

Ironically DJ said we would be best not getting Labour back in as it might hinder any progress on the ground. Since Labour have got back in we have heard zero more info on any progress. That’s why I think it’s now dead in the water.
i think Labour are dependent on the Greens to get votes through, which probably isn't going help.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:31 pm

Without a decent ground or a vision to secure one I’m not entirely sure where we are going as a club. Even at this level it arguably has the worst away end in the league. I actually stood at the open end for the first time yesterday and it’s absolutely grim.

For me this is priority 1 after this season is over and fans deserve an update, wherever negative or positive. Should loan_star’s instincts be correct it will be a huge hammer blow and ambitions to progress to a better level will be unachievable for years to come.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:19 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:31 pm
Without a decent ground or a vision to secure one I’m not entirely sure where we are going as a club. Even at this level it arguably has the worst away end in the league. I actually stood at the open end for the first time yesterday and it’s absolutely grim.

For me this is priority 1 after this season is over and fans deserve an update, wherever negative or positive. Should loan_star’s instincts be correct it will be a huge hammer blow and ambitions to progress to a better level will be unachievable for years to come.
DJ is up for election at the AGM but he will have no new update on the ground situation at the AGM. I think if he had good news he'd want to share it.

I would like the board to be honest about our alternatives to a new ground. It seems like they throw out blockers to support their view we can only progress by buidling a brand new ground, but the alternatives seem more realistic the longer it goes on. Are DRFC seriously opposed to any further building on BM for example, or is that just a good excuse? Don't throw around incorrect statements about why we can't move to the Arena, if you fell out with MPRFC then just say so. I'm not convinced that plans to build a retail park, hotel, and six-a-side pitches just to generate enough money to make the repayments on a new ground is the best option.

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:53 pm

Darlington Town have gained support from DBC, apparently spending £1.6m on a new ground at Hundens!

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:45 pm

ralphb wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:53 pm
Darlington Town have gained support from DBC, apparently spending £1.6m on a new ground at Hundens!
Given this, I cannot see any public funding for anything outside of that location.

I can't see us building a ground from scratch without a lottery winner donating seven figures.

I'm no expert in this field, but surely we'll have to look at more pragmatic alternatives that involve piggy backing on other schemes or existing facilities?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 pm

But how have Darlington Town got help from the council and not us?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 pm
Check the date of the post maybe.....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 pm

Have Darlington Town received funding?

Or is Eastbourne being developed and Darlington Town happen to play at Eastbourne?

Are we sure it isn't just this....

https://www.darlington.gov.uk/your-coun ... m/?id=1631

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:17 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 pm
Check the date of the post maybe.....
Oh yeah.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:05 pm

Darlington Town got a grant that went towards the cost of the new facility and have the right to play there but as far as I am aware, its not their ground.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:34 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:05 pm
Darlington Town got a grant that went towards the cost of the new facility and have the right to play there but as far as I am aware, its not their ground.
My understanding is that the Football Foundation grant was awarded to Darlington Borough Council (as landlord and project promoter) and this was subject to the Council having agreements with a number of community partners, which includes Darlington Town, Middleton Rangers, Darlington FC Women as well as others.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:53 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:34 pm
loan_star wrote:
My understanding is that the Football Foundation grant was awarded to Darlington Borough Council (as landlord and project promoter) and this was subject to the Council having agreements with a number of community partners, which includes Darlington Town, Middleton Rangers, Darlington FC Women as well as others.
Yes there are other partners that also got grants towards the overall cost. I mentioned the fact Town had got a grant as they had been mentioned already up the thread.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:07 am

loan_star wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:53 pm
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:34 pm
loan_star wrote:
Yes there are other partners that also got grants towards the overall cost. I mentioned the fact Town had got a grant as they had been mentioned already up the thread.
The grant from the Football Foundation for the new stadium at Eastbourne was awarded to the body responsible for the delivery of the project and for its future operation and maintenance, which is Darlington Borough Council. If you have been told otherwise from someone at Darlington Town, then you have been misled.