Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:34 pm

Looking forward to the start of the season, looks like we will be able to watch most games ? Not confident with Tigers this season and would think mid table will be an achievement, but you can only hope!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:25 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:34 pm
Looking forward to the start of the season, looks like we will be able to watch most games ? Not confident with Tigers this season and would think mid table will be an achievement, but you can only hope!
Rob you couldn't have had a much harder start to the season?

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:58 pm

The last 3 games at the MKM have finished 98-4 to KR !!!!!!
Not great tonight, but the final score did not reflect the game.
FC were totally stupid discipline-wise, and while we dropped the ball too often lets put that down to the weather.
Top of the table !!!!!

Iminatilix
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:37 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: South Africa
Contact:

-

Post by Iminatilix » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:21 am

one would assume though that its the hayne money being used to get foran, reckon hell end up playing rugby in europe if he flops in the nfl

foran would be huge for parra, easily in the top 10 players in the game possibly top 5 imo

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 am

Well not a good start lads gave everything, but why wasn't the tackle by Smith given only a yellow when our lad was tipped onto his head ? Then we get a man sent off for a lesser tackle that a yellow should be the call.
Well done HKR a great display which should see them top 6 easily this season.
Long season ahead but hope for a better season than last one.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 am

robsraiders wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 am
Well not a good start lads gave everything, but why wasn't the tackle by Smith given only a yellow when our lad was tipped onto his head ? Then we get a man sent off for a lesser tackle that a yellow should be the call.
Well done HKR a great display which should see them top 6 easily this season.
Long season ahead but hope for a better season than last one.
I have enjoyed the extra games on Sky this week and I thought the ref's got the vast majority of the big calls correct. There were still the odd 1 mind you and sorry but can't answer your question Rob. Mind you, FC fans were also questioning why their guy got sent off for the swinging arm so even if explained some people will never agree.
I recorded your game and watched it later as I watched Cats live. I had not realised that they could make Jordan Abduls transfer permanent at any time and for FREE. We have no idea what went on there and I guess we never will.
As per usual, lots of dropped balls and mistakes first games, but it all adds to the fun !!!

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:41 pm

Flipping heck, Wakey nearly beat Newcastle today at Kingston Park :o :o :o :o :o :o

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:58 am

Felt sorry for Castleford that the sending off shouldn't have happened. I think RL should adopt the same stance as Rugby Union, were there is a 10 minute period, were there is a revue and the decision is confirmed or the player returns after 10mins. Still Wigan did a professional job and rather worryingly for the rest of the SL, our defence looks really strong. I was pleased that I managed to avoid Saturday's result, until I got home on Sunday.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:58 am
Felt sorry for Castleford that the sending off shouldn't have happened. I think RL should adopt the same stance as Rugby Union, were there is a 10 minute period, were there is a revue and the decision is confirmed or the player returns after 10mins. Still Wigan did a professional job and rather worryingly for the rest of the SL, our defence looks really strong. I was pleased that I managed to avoid Saturday's result, until I got home on Sunday.
Most annoying thing of the week was, yet again, the inconsistency of the review board.
Purcell got a 1 game ban for a push in the face. (Deserved. Unlike him but stupid), Farrell gets nothing for exactly the same movement of his hand.
Think we should change our shirt to Cherry and White.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:17 am

Leeds is always a hard game for us at CP and so it proved yet again.
Mid-afternoon I was wondering if it would be played at all because we had so much a hard rainfall. I know it cut up, but I think it held up quite well all things considered.
Not sure why Leed's first yellow was not red under the new rules but I think Donno's was a tad harsh. No idea why Hiku was yellowed and I spoke to Donno after the match and he said it was for holding the player down but Leeds thought it was a win for them at the time.
Pleased with the win in what I thought was a decent game. Still errors from us, but hey-ho, top of the league and an unbeaten start is not to be sniffed at.

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:50 am

Wow what a game last night, top class entertainment well done Wigan, Super League is still not upto the level of NRL but Wigan showed that we can compete

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:26 pm

Yes a great game, I think Wigan were a bit lucky with a couple of decisions, but our defence is world class and Bevan French and Jai Field are extra special. We were lucky with a couple of decisions, that could have gone the other way.

I thought Penrith were very gracious in defeat and especially Nathan Cleary who was still going round the crowd doing selfie's and autographs well after the final whistle.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:26 pm
Yes a great game, I think Wigan were a bit lucky with a couple of decisions, but our defence is world class and Bevan French and Jai Field are extra special. We were lucky with a couple of decisions, that could have gone the other way.

I thought Penrith were very gracious in defeat and especially Nathan Cleary who was still going round the crowd doing selfie's and autographs well after the final whistle.
Well done Pete.
I waited for you to comment expecting your normal. "Wigan were brilliant" type comment. In defence they actually were, but an awful lot of fans are complaining they were gifted the game.
I have to query the wisdom of a Wigan-born, Wigan-supporting ref for the biggest game in world rugby league.

As a PS, watched Salford v Cas this afternoon. After 15 minutes I thought Cas must be very happy to know London's situation makes everyone else safe but in the end they ran the Devils close and could have snatched it.
Funny thought for me, I find it a tad strange that I am seeing so many KR "cast-offs" playing for so many other SL clubs now. For a long time if they left us it was Championship or lower only, but we could put a full team out of players now playing for other SL clubs.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:33 am

As I said we were lucky with a couple of decisions that went our way, but you do make your own luck. I also agree that a different referee should have been appointed.

The gap between the top clubs and the bottom clubs has never been so big as it is now. You may get to a point were Championship clubs do not want to get promoted to the Premiership, as it will do their club more damage than good.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:33 am
As I said we were lucky with a couple of decisions that went our way, but you do make your own luck. I also agree that a different referee should have been appointed.

The gap between the top clubs and the bottom clubs has never been so big as it is now. You may get to a point were Championship clubs do not want to get promoted to the Premiership, as it will do their club more damage than good.
As we found out in 17 the biggest problem with being promoted is that all the other SL clubs have long since sorted their squads for the following year.
It has changed slightly since they got rid of the middle 8's but we knew we had won the league but had to wait 3 months to confirm promotion.
When they came up Cats were given a 3 year no relegation agreement. While I think 3 years is a bit long I do think that having at least a 1 year no relegation would help level the field somewhat.
The other point I would make is the laws need tightening up re' playing a set number of 1st team players.
People still say London only went down on points difference last time, but they forget that Saints, not once, but twice, sent a team of kids with virtually no first-team experience to London and lost both games, thus gifting them 4 points.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:15 pm

Well Wigan managed to avoid the post World Club Challenge flop that befell St.Helens after their World Club Challenge win last year in Australia. Surprised to see Leeds beating Catalan today and Salford are beating Hull KR at the moment 12-0.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:12 am

Surprise defeats for Hull KR & St.Helens, leaving only one side unbeaten at this early stage of the season

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 am

Below par performance last night by Wigan, but they found a way to win against an impressive Salford and that was despite having a player sent off, when they were losing.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:21 am

No surprises in the Challenge Cup games over the weekend. No doubt some of the big boys are going to be drawn together in the quarter final draw this evening.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am

Even though we made the final last year I have lost a lot of interest in the cup. A couple of nice draws and you are in the final without much effort. The nearest we had to a "shock" this weekend was the manner of Dulls thrashing at Huddersfield, who are not exactly great at the moment.
I still think the league should revert to 2 leagues of 16 and amateur sides play early rounds of the cup until there are 32 left, while the 2 pro leagues come in at the same time and all play away to a smaller club to put cash into the lower end of the game. After that round, all lower league sides drawn v a SL side should get the choice of a game at home no matter who comes out first, or taking the payday if drawn away.
It is much like football. All the SL clubs think about is themselves. Not the general health of the game.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 am

Oh dear Rob, things are looking bleak for Castleford, after yet another loss last night. The only saving grace is the London Broncos, who are possibly even worse than Castleford.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 pm

Tough loss today against St. Helens, the red card was possibly a bit harsh, but it proved the turning point in a brutal encounter.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:07 pm

Great to see that Bevan French has signed a contract extension for a further 4 years at Wigan. That was on top of Matty Peet and his assistants signing 7 year contract extensions.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:07 pm
Great to see that Bevan French has signed a contract extension for a further 4 years at Wigan. That was on top of Matty Peet and his assistants signing 7 year contract extensions.
Lots of silly talk about French and his contract. Running from no NRL side wanted him to "He is not that good"!!
Personally, I want to see KR pitting their wits against the best we can, so as long as it is done within the rules I have no problem.
Of course, it also means that Wigan get a bigger fee if he moves on, so win, win for them.
Mind you, I can say this as we seem to have Wigwams level most times we play them over the last couple of years !!! It is the Salfords and Leighs that we keep on tripping over !!!
Talking of which, looking forward to tonight's game. It should be a good 1.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:43 pm

Good performance by Wigan last night, if not startling. To pick Junior Nsemba as MOTM, when he was only a substitute and has hardly featured in any games this year, just goes to show the strength and depth of the Wigan squad. 2 of tonight's games should be fairly predictable, but the Leeds v Warrington should be pretty close and hard to predict.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:54 pm

Posting this at half time.
Tonight's game at CP is NOT Superleague.
When we won the Championship in 16 we 50'd a few sides. If we keep the intensity up this could hit 100.
Don't want to see it and genuinely hoping they can put up a bit more of a fight in the second half.
We even gave them a try and man start with Sam Luckley being binned within 90 seconds.
NOT a good watch.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Rugby League

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:09 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:54 pm
Posting this at half time.
Tonight's game at CP is NOT Superleague.
When we won the Championship in 16 we 50'd a few sides. If we keep the intensity up this could hit 100.
Don't want to see it and genuinely hoping they can put up a bit more of a fight in the second half.
We even gave them a try and man start with Sam Luckley being binned within 90 seconds.
NOT a good watch.
I hate one sided sport of any kind, I just don’t get the attraction; even if it’s my team doing the thrashing!

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:33 am

comeondarlo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:09 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:54 pm
Posting this at half time.
Tonight's game at CP is NOT Superleague.
When we won the Championship in 16 we 50'd a few sides. If we keep the intensity up this could hit 100.
Don't want to see it and genuinely hoping they can put up a bit more of a fight in the second half.
We even gave them a try and man start with Sam Luckley being binned within 90 seconds.
NOT a good watch.
I hate one sided sport of any kind, I just don’t get the attraction; even if it’s my team doing the thrashing!
We took off 2 of our main playmakers at halftime, (Minchella and May), and only won the second half 10-6. Fans were going nuts saying we were a "disgrace", "couldn't keep it up" and "are miles behind the top sides".
Me? I much preferred it to the first half. OK the game was over and done with, but at least they were not embarrassed at the end.
PS, nice to see Cas finally win.

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:07 pm

Yes a win at last for Tigers, and well deserved too, table looks slightly better this weekend!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14124
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 pm

Yep good to see you managed a first win. Rob you'll be hoping for a similar result in the challenge cup next weekend?

Post Reply