Asante Starts

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 2189
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Asante Starts

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:05 pm

April fools of course
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:April fools of course
Has to be the biggest waste of money since we went fan owned, sickening that fans have put their own money into the club to pay this guys wages.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk


MB86DFC
Posts: 797
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:45 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:April fools of course
Has to be the biggest waste of money since we went fan owned, sickening that fans have put their own money into the club to pay this guys wages.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
Agreed. He is clearly the worst signing we’ve made.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 2189
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:47 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:45 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:April fools of course
Has to be the biggest waste of money since we went fan owned, sickening that fans have put their own money into the club to pay this guys wages.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
Agreed. He is clearly the worst signing we’ve made.
Turns out we are the fools - the fans - signing injured / unfit players must be a no no from now on, weekly contracts are fine for these types of players and then if you have to cut your loses by releasing them then there is no fee to pay.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Mario
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by Mario » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:19 pm

He is apparently fit and has been for the last 2 or 3 games, but not being picked.

Maybe not impressing the manager with his effort in training, as Curry and Nelson are both being picked ahead of him in the squad.

Old Git
Posts: 3261
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:23 pm

Mario wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:19 pm
He is apparently fit and has been for the last 2 or 3 games, but not being picked.

Maybe not impressing the manager with his effort in training, as Curry and Nelson are both being picked ahead of him in the squad.
Not to mention signing Rutledge on loan.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:26 pm

Mario wrote:He is apparently fit and has been for the last 2 or 3 games, but not being picked.

Maybe not impressing the manager with his effort in training, as Curry and Nelson are both being picked ahead of him in the squad.
He will be miles short of match practice,so far too much of a gamble playing him.Why play him ahead of Main,Rutledge and Nelson anyway.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk


LMQuaker
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:15 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by LMQuaker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:45 pm

Starts what? Spending his fortunes?

en passant
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by en passant » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:42 pm

There have been rumours that there is a plan to have this guy on our books next year. On the basis of his alleged salary it would take a massive portion of any Boost the Budget to afford him. After all, if has been paid a small fortune to sit around doing nothing I dare say he will want a wage rise if we demand the unthinkable and ask him to actually play. If upwards of a third to a half of any BtB were to end up padding out his lousy groin how the heck would there be enough left over to afford any other half decent players? His presence this year, along with his mate Gowling, had already threatened to take us down. Do we really want to risk that next year as well? I think the club has already made enough mistakes over the last year without compounding the error by giving this bloke any more fans cash.

LMQuaker
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:15 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by LMQuaker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 am

en passant wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:42 pm
There have been rumours that there is a plan to have this guy on our books next year. On the basis of his alleged salary it would take a massive portion of any Boost the Budget to afford him. After all, if has been paid a small fortune to sit around doing nothing I dare say he will want a wage rise if we demand the unthinkable and ask him to actually play. If upwards of a third to a half of any BtB were to end up padding out his lousy groin how the heck would there be enough left over to afford any other half decent players? His presence this year, along with his mate Gowling, had already threatened to take us down. Do we really want to risk that next year as well? I think the club has already made enough mistakes over the last year without compounding the error by giving this bloke any more fans cash.
You'd like to think we'd be trying to do everything in our power to somehow try and shift him. Easier said than done if he's contracted for another year but it should be a priority imo. Maybe a masterclass against his old club Chester would be enough to tempt them to take a punt? One can dream.

lo36789
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:32 am

The mistake is already made if he is contracted to next season.

Who knows though. I mean at this stage he's not 'needed' for the rest of this season. I think we have the firepower that we need to get the points we need.

There is a point where you get him back properly - try and get a proper pre-season out of him and who knows - do we then end up with the player we hoped for.

Failing that - you hope he can do it at Northern Prem level and a team like Macclesfield / Bury with more money than sense could take him on loan and at least reduce the financial burden.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 7137
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:59 am

I honestly hope the bloke gets another chance and proves everyone wrong. There is no doubt that a fit Asante can be a massive asset to the club.
Getting on his back does no good whatsoever despite the fact he hasn't proven his worth yet.

User avatar
CrazyDarlo
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk

Re: Asante Starts

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:09 pm

LMQuaker wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 am
en passant wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:42 pm
There have been rumours that there is a plan to have this guy on our books next year. On the basis of his alleged salary it would take a massive portion of any Boost the Budget to afford him. After all, if has been paid a small fortune to sit around doing nothing I dare say he will want a wage rise if we demand the unthinkable and ask him to actually play. If upwards of a third to a half of any BtB were to end up padding out his lousy groin how the heck would there be enough left over to afford any other half decent players? His presence this year, along with his mate Gowling, had already threatened to take us down. Do we really want to risk that next year as well? I think the club has already made enough mistakes over the last year without compounding the error by giving this bloke any more fans cash.
You'd like to think we'd be trying to do everything in our power to somehow try and shift him. Easier said than done if he's contracted for another year but it should be a priority imo. Maybe a masterclass against his old club Chester would be enough to tempt them to take a punt? One can dream.
I wonder if Johno & Morley at Radcliffe might be a possibility. Think he was prolific for them at Chester. Clearly there’s a very good player in there but it’s not a dice we want to be rolling again if we can avoid it.

DavidCurriesMullet
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Asante Starts

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:15 pm

Agree Loan Star. Haven't seen anything to suggest the guy is "swinging the lead" or doesn't want to get fit. Blaming his presence for almost taking us down is also complete rubbish.

Post Reply