Darlington V Chorley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Chorley

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:20 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:47 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:37 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 pm

How about having worked as a football secretary and having had to mark refs week after week for years and having to try to remove the club bias?
Been there done that albeit at a lower level. If a ref made a horrendous decision I would mark him down but wouldn’t be daft about it either, if in general he did ok his score would reflect that.
Precisely. As a fan you can say anything. When you are in a position with responsibility you have to take the rose-tinted glasses off.
I once marked a ref who later worked in the Prem at 0. The league sec rang me and asked me to change my marking as he should get 4 points for turning up with a pen, notebook, and clean kit.
I refused and he said, "Thought so the other sec gave him a 0 as well and they won 2-0" !!!! As I say, he went on to ref in the prem !!!!
Never marked any at a zero no matter how bad they are, even the worst refs do get some things correct!
The first thing he did wrong was turn up !!!, but it says more when the other side sec' gave him the same score after they won.
One of his better ones was that he sent off my 5'4" winger for "nutting" a 6'7" defender when my guy spun around to have a throw in thrown over the defender for him to run onto. The Staffs FA made me laugh with that 1. They gave him a 68 day ban even though the defender stood in front of them and said nothing happened it was simply an accident. I appealed it to London and they cut the ban in half saying "OK that may not be right but we think something must have happened" !!!!
That was way back in the early 90's. Never believed a word the FA said since !!!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:30 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:57 am
If we go down this season, it's not because the referee/linesman got that decision wrong yesterday. It's because for the vast majority of the season we've been dogshit.

Funny how these terrible officials are only ever terrible in one direction Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
If we go down, it will be because of the decision to appoint Josh Gowling & the signing off of the Asante contract.

Good to see Adam Lakeland keep Kings Lynn up. If only he was available back in September, or even Steve Watson. What a shame neither applied to the role when Alun was dismissed.
How can you possibly say the decision to sign Asante has sent us down?

We've been useless on the pitch for most of the season. That has very little to do with the signing of Asante. We were s*** before he joined, we've been a bit less s*** since he joined (despite him playing no part in our improvement, that at least suggests that the budget he's taking up hasn't prevented us from bringing in decent players).

The decision to appoint Gowling has certainly contributed to our downfall, but we were in the s*** before him.

Point is, no single result or decision has put us where we are. We've just noticed been good enough all season (other than a recent 6 week period).

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:30 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:57 am
If we go down this season, it's not because the referee/linesman got that decision wrong yesterday. It's because for the vast majority of the season we've been dogshit.

Funny how these terrible officials are only ever terrible in one direction Image

If we go down, it will be because of the decision to appoint Josh Gowling & the signing off of the Asante contract.

Good to see Adam Lakeland keep Kings Lynn up. If only he was available back in September, or even Steve Watson. What a shame neither applied to the role when Alun was dismissed.
How can you possibly say the decision to sign Asante has sent us down?

We've been useless on the pitch for most of the season. That has very little to do with the signing of Asante. We were s*** before he joined, we've been a bit less s*** since he joined (despite him playing no part in our improvement, that at least suggests that the budget he's taking up hasn't prevented us from bringing in decent players).

The decision to appoint Gowling has certainly contributed to our downfall, but we were in the s*** before him.

Point is, no single result or decision has put us where we are. We've just noticed been good enough all season (other than a recent 6 week period).

Do you realise how much of the playing budget Asante is taking up to simply not play football?

His wages (and signing on fee) have hindered us from being able to strengthen elsewhere.

We sold Jacob Hazel to Boston to facilitate the deal, so you could argue the net cost position is not massive, but then you consider that we sold one of the best goal scorers at this level for an absolute crock, and DJ allowed Gowling to do it.

Not only was he allowed to do it, but (allegedly) Asante is on a two-year contract, yet he has only played 18% of all available minutes since he signed and he is one of our highest-paid players since becoming fan-owned.

We were poor before Gowling came in for those 8 matches, but don't forget, in Alun's opening 8 matches we had to play 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. 12th & 14th.

You cannot just say "we have not been good enough all season", and "there have been no result or decision(s)" have put us where we are. It has been a series of poor decisions at leadership level that have culminated in us staring relegation to the NPL in the face.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:12 pm

Funny how when we start loosing games again all the moaners come out the woodwork again

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:18 pm

Is this the same Jacob Hazel that looked totally bored for quite sometime with us, before not scoring many goals for Boston then being out injured for yonks? 😀
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:18 pm
Is this the same Jacob Hazel that looked totally bored for quite sometime with us, before not scoring many goals for Boston then being out injured for yonks? 😀
The same Jacob Hazel with 8 G/A in 13 appearances for Boston.

How many does Asante have? Oh yeah, that's right, 0 goals or assists in 8 appearances.

Not entirely sure how him breaking his foot is relevant at all.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:07 pm

⬆️ Merely pointing out that players get injured.

You were right about Gowling 97, but FFS - stop banging on about it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:13 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:12 pm
Funny how when we start loosing games again all the moaners come out the woodwork again
Sadly it is because some people are happier when we lose, because it suits their negative personalities. They perversely enjoy a good whinge, and are denied that pleasure when we are doing well.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:13 pm
darlo reborn wrote:
Sadly it is because some people are happier when we lose, because it suits their negative personalities. They perversely enjoy a good whinge, and are denied that pleasure when we are doing well.
That, sadly for you, is not true.

I am much happier when we win. I’m desperate for us to stay up. I don’t travel to home & away matches to want us to lose!

Sadly it appears that any criticism is met with, “you have an agenda”, “you want us to lose” etc, rather than engaging on a constructive debate on the issues at hand.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:47 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:07 pm

No - because it is entirely relevant (and probably the biggest reason why) to the situation we are in.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:15 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:47 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

No - because it is entirely relevant (and probably the biggest reason why) to the situation we are in.
We can't pretend we weren't in the situation before Gowling came in. Our record under Armstrong during 2023 when he wasn't playing the top 12 was hardly inspiring - he was quite clearly unable to address the rot.

Armstrong put us in the situation, Gowling kept us in it. Action was taken to address the error and bring in Watson.

The resentment is a bit tedious, is quite toxic and not sure what benefit it serves.

Time is only going one direction and it ain't backwards.

Hopefully we have learned and now we move on. There is no way to validate that or guarantee mistakes won't be made again so we can only hope.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:18 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

You may have missed my point?

I think most of us will agree that the main reason we haunt the relegation zone is because of Gowling, and because of the appointment of Gowling - but what good does it do to continually trawl it back up? Again and again? It's tiresome.

Anyway, that's my bit said.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:28 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:15 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

We can't pretend we weren't in the situation before Gowling came in. Our record under Armstrong during 2023 when he wasn't playing the top 12 was hardly inspiring - he was quite clearly unable to address the rot.

Armstrong put us in the situation, Gowling kept us in it. Action was taken to address the error and bring in Watson.

The resentment is a bit tedious, is quite toxic and not sure what benefit it serves.

Hopefully we have learned and now we move on. There is no way to validate that or guarantee mistakes won't be made again so we can only hope.
Armstrong didn't put us in this situation at all.

He left us with a decent squad that needed a few additions: Taylor, Griffiths, Lees, Sukar, Hedley, Platt, Hatfield, Rivers, Liddle, Hazel, Curry, Nelson, Salkeld, Felix, Barnes.

That is a core of 15, competitive, NLN players.

Gowling came in and got shot of 3 of them, tried to get rid of others and signed 13 players with an average age of 21. All of which, barring Kieran Burton, were absolutely rubbish.

He also burned through winnable home matches against Scarborough, Rushall, Warrington, Bishop Stortford, Blyth, Kings Lynn & Gloucester.

There is no resentment, or toxicity. If someone wants to highlight the reason(s) behind us facing relegation, I'm allowed to point it out.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:26 am

There seems to be a fair bit of whitewashing of Armstrong’s contribution to our malaise.

Gowling was woeful, certainly, and made a bad situation worse. But he inherited a shitshow - 2023 under Armstrong was execrable, and he really shouldn’t have been kept on for this season.

We are in this mess because of Gowling, and because of Armstrong. It’s not a binary choice.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 am

A series of increasingly poor decisions have got us to this point.

Not backing Armstrong when Beck left, keeping Armstrong after the poor end to last season, inexplicably hiring Gowling over Watson / Lakeland, letting him sign a million kids, signing assante, and allowing Gowling to stay after Chorley.

The leadership do a lot of good at this club but also make baffling decisions. Communication has been shite too. People will say it’s easy to criticise with hindsight but from minute 1 most knew that bringing Gowling in was a disaster.

We need a Director of Football to take control of the sporting decisions.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:47 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:26 am
There seems to be a fair bit of whitewashing of Armstrong’s contribution to our malaise.

Gowling was woeful, certainly, and made a bad situation worse. But he inherited a shitshow - 2023 under Armstrong was execrable, and he really shouldn’t have been kept on for this season.

We are in this mess because of Gowling, and because of Armstrong. It’s not a binary choice.
In 22/23 we finished 10th, 1 point outside of the play-offs and he had to deal with losing Mark Beck, what do you mean Alun shouldn't have been kept on?

Previous performances were also acceptable where we finished 13th (21/22) & 10th (19/20), and we enjoyed very successful cup runs on the way along with selling players on for substantial profit.

You don't chuck the baby out of the bath water for the sake of a poor 15 matches or so after losing your top goalscorer.

That said, the first 8 matches of the season were unacceptable, including the Buxton debacle, and it was evident change was needed.

To say Gowling inherited a "s***-show" is a massive over exaggeration. Ironically, quite a few of Alun's summer signings that were written off at the start of the season are performing well for us: Lees, Platt & Salkeld, even Curry has 5 goals.

That is before you consider Alun also left Gowling with a front 3 of Felix, Hazel & Barnes and he replaced them with Ngandu, Asante & Simms/Vasileiou. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:01 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 am

Not backing Armstrong when Beck left, keeping Armstrong after the poor end to last season, inexplicably hiring Gowling over Watson / Lakeland, letting him sign a million kids, signing assante, and allowing Gowling to stay after Chorley.

The leadership do a lot of good at this club but also make baffling decisions. Communication has been shite too. People will say it’s easy to criticise with hindsight but from minute 1 most knew that bringing Gowling in was a disaster.

Agreed.

The Board, and DJ in particular, have a lot to be proud of. The initial appointment of Alun in 2019, growth in commercial, sponsorship & retail revenues, ever-improving Boost the Budget campaigns, record membership numbers in DFCSG & the stabilising of club finances etc.

However, ever-increasingly, there have been a number of mistakes made on the footballing side. The appointment of Josh Gowling & being too slow to react to the dire situation (8-0 Chorley), allowing the sale of good players despite it being obvious Gowling would not last (Hazel), the huge contract handed to Asante & the strategy of paying for accommodation for players in a regional, predominately part-time, league. It has cost us £££,£££ with a potential bigger cost in relegation to come (no central funding in NPL, no NLTV & x2 less home matches).

I don't know how a DoF role looks like as we cannot pay a significant amount, but the starting point - at least - would be an advert to be publicised to gauge interest of those willing. It would then allow DJ - as CEO - to focus on what he is good at - the commercial side of the football club + stadium development.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:08 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am
Old Git wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:

I am much happier when we win. I’m desperate for us to stay up. I don’t travel to home & away matches to want us to lose!

Sadly it appears that any criticism is met with, “you have an agenda”, “you want us to lose” etc, rather than engaging on a constructive debate on the issues at hand.
Funnily enough I didn’t specifically mention you in my response to Darlo reborn, but you obviously recognised yourself as being one of those negative people who enjoy a good whinge. I think the relevant saying is “If the cap fits wear it ”. Good to see you doing just that 🤣

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:19 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:01 am
MB86DFC wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 am

Agreed.

The Board, and DJ in particular, have a lot to be proud of. The initial appointment of Alun in 2019, growth in commercial, sponsorship & retail revenues, ever-improving Boost the Budget campaigns, record membership numbers in DFCSG & the stabilising of club finances etc.

However, ever-increasingly, there have been a number of mistakes made on the footballing side. The appointment of Josh Gowling & being too slow to react to the dire situation (8-0 Chorley), allowing the sale of good players despite it being obvious Gowling would not last (Hazel), the huge contract handed to Asante & the strategy of paying for accommodation for players in a regional, predominately part-time, league. It has cost us £££,£££ with a potential bigger cost in relegation to come (no central funding in NPL, no NLTV & x2 less home matches).

I don't know how a DoF role looks like as we cannot pay a significant amount, but the starting point - at least - would be an advert to be publicised to gauge interest of those willing. It would then allow DJ - as CEO - to focus on what he is good at - the commercial side of the football club + stadium development.
Not sure we need a Director of Football at our level, if we go down can only see is cutting costs for next season as likely less commercial revenue.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:24 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:08 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am
Old Git wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:

Funnily enough I didn’t specifically mention you in my response to Darlo reborn, but you obviously recognised yourself as being one of those negative people who enjoy a good whinge. I think the relevant saying is “If the cap fits wear it ”. Good to see you doing just that 🤣
Nope. Darlo Reborn was talking about me, of which you added to it. So it was clear.

Regardless of that, it was fairly evident, as you continuously have personal digs without ever adding anything constructive or worthwhile to the discussion. Why is that, I wonder?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:28 am
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

He left us with a decent squad that needed a few additions: Taylor, Griffiths, Lees, Sukar, Hedley, Platt, Hatfield, Rivers, Liddle, Hazel, Curry, Nelson, Salkeld, Felix, Barnes.

Gowling came in and got shot of 3 of them, tried to get rid of others and signed 13 players with an average age of 21. All of which, barring Kieran Burton, were absolutely rubbish.

He also burned through winnable home matches against Scarborough, Rushall, Warrington, Bishop Stortford, Blyth, Kings Lynn & Gloucester.

There is no resentment, or toxicity. If someone wants to highlight the reason(s) behind us facing relegation, I'm allowed to point it out.
You're wasting your time.

It seems like many others were successfully brainwashed by The Natural and no matter how many facts you want to throw at them the shutters have came down.

We know the score.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:06 pm

Old Git wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
No. They aren't happy when we lose. They are burning with rage when we lose. At Clowning.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:13 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:28 am
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

You're wasting your time.

It seems like many others were successfully brainwashed by The Natural and no matter how many facts you want to throw at them the shutters have came down.

We know the score.
Definitely.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm
Not only was he allowed to do it, but (allegedly) Asante is on a two-year contract, yet he has only played 18% of all available minutes since he signed and he is one of our highest-paid players since becoming fan-owned.
I strongly disagree with the term "played".

I can hardly remember that far back to the time he was last seen on the pitch, but I'm pretty sure playing wasn't what he was doing. He just ambled about in midfield.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:34 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:06 pm
Old Git wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
No. They aren't happy when we lose. They are burning with rage when we lose. At Clowning.
Time to let it go. If not how long are you going remain so bitter ? Both you and 97 are exhibiting clear signs of obsessive behaviour. Honestly time to move on for the sake of your own sanity, and everyone else’s as well. If you can’t, perhaps you could just set up your own private WhatsApp group to vent your spleens. The rest of us are bored with you 😴😴😴

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:34 pm
The rest of us are bored with you 😴😴😴
I'm sure everybody else on this board is happy for you to speak for them on their behalf.

Clowning virtually killed this club - still might have done - I'm happy that you can just forgive and forget.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 pm
Old Git wrote:
I'm sure everybody else on this board is happy for you to speak for them on their behalf.

Clowning virtually killed this club - still might have done - I'm happy that you can just forgive and forget.
It’s not a case of forgiving and forgetting. Mistakes have been made, and lessons need to be learned. However, focusing on the past and not the present and the future is not particularly helpful. I will say no more because I am bored with this now.

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:00 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 pm
Old Git wrote:

It’s not a case of forgiving and forgetting. Mistakes have been made, and lessons need to be learned. However, focusing on the past and not the present and the future is not particularly helpful. I will say no more because I am bored with this now.
I’m bored with it too. We’ve got 4 games to go and that should everyone’s focus at the mo. We aren’t forgiving and forgetting. Leave it for a couple of weeks then you can vent all you like … is my opinion.

LMQuaker

Post by LMQuaker » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:23 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:47 am
Lawman3 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:26 am

In 22/23 we finished 10th, 1 point outside of the play-offs and he had to deal with losing Mark Beck, what do you mean Alun shouldn't have been kept on?

Previous performances were also acceptable where we finished 13th (21/22) & 10th (19/20), and we enjoyed very successful cup runs on the way along with selling players on for substantial profit.

You don't chuck the baby out of the bath water for the sake of a poor 15 matches or so after losing your top goalscorer.

That said, the first 8 matches of the season were unacceptable, including the Buxton debacle, and it was evident change was needed.

To say Gowling inherited a "s***-show" is a massive over exaggeration. Ironically, quite a few of Alun's summer signings that were written off at the start of the season are performing well for us: Lees, Platt & Salkeld, even Curry has 5 goals.

That is before you consider Alun also left Gowling with a front 3 of Felix, Hazel & Barnes and he replaced them with Ngandu, Asante & Simms/Vasileiou. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's 'with' the bath water, not 'out' of it. I stopped myself correcting you last time you said it on here but twice is plenty. I wouldn't want you making that mistake in a real life situation.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:40 pm

I sense that we're all feeling a bit agitated after the last two results and the realisation that tomorrows game is the big one. I foolishly forecast a 2-0 win against Chorley but we might have got something without the two game changers in the first half. We really needed a Russian linesman and a proper header from our defender but fate could be in a pleasant mood for us at Warrington. They're in good form but a bit far off the play-offs. We need to not lose and maybe 'win ugly' - if we can we'll all be feeling better again. ;)