Complacency

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Complacency

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:21 pm

While I’m, like everyone, blown away by our turnaround in fortunes, are we at risk of complacency here? I’ve noticed a number of people talking like it’s a done deal we are staying up over the past few days…

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Complacency

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:28 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:21 pm
While I’m, like everyone, blown away by our turnaround in fortunes, are we at risk of complacency here? I’ve noticed a number of people talking like it’s a done deal we are staying up over the past few days…
Agreed, put yourself in Rushall's shoes - they will be desperate to win, it will be like a cup final for them, win and they will be back in the mix. We have to approach the game with the right attitude.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:29 pm

I’d probably take a draw right now, if you offered me it…

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:40 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:21 pm
Completely agree, although I doubt Watson and Mitchell are allowing that to creep in with the players, which is what matters most.

Saturday is a big game but there are still games after that so regardless of the result we just need to keep on going until its mathematically certain. If we win (and that's a big if) I think we can be very confident, but anything can still happen. I'd certainly take a point now.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:44 pm

I don't think there'll be too much complacency in Steve Watson's dressing-room but I agree that a point at Rushall would be acceptable. Another 'ugly' 1-0 for us could be on the cards too but this might be Rushall's last chance so expect a battle either way. 8-)

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:00 pm

Rushall have two difficult games (playoff chasing teams) after us, defeat for them on Saturday could really be the end for them.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:56 pm

A point would be fine. If we don't lose then we are in a pretty good position to ride the storm out.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:33 pm

Job most definitely not done. It is still very much in Rushall’s hands, if they beat us they are 2 points behind us with a game in hand, and that game is against Bishop Stortford.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:25 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:33 pm
Job most definitely not done. It is still very much in Rushall’s hands, if they beat us they are 2 points behind us with a game in hand, and that game is against Bishop Stortford.
All we have to do is win 2 of our last 6 matches (3 if you want to be sure), regardless of whether Rushall is one of those wins or not.

Even if they beat us on Saturday - which will only happen with a bent referee and/or desperate bad luck - it's still in our hands and the fact they have Bishop's Stortford to play is irrelevant to the points total which we will achieve.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:29 pm

Don’t know why but had a feeling.

We can still do it but that’s an awful, awful game to lose.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:45 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:25 pm
Old Git wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:33 pm
All we have to do is win 2 of our last 6 matches (3 if you want to be sure), regardless of whether Rushall is one of those wins or not.

Even if they beat us on Saturday - which will only happen with a bent referee and/or desperate bad luck - it's still in our hands and the fact they have Bishop's Stortford to play is irrelevant to the points total which we will achieve.
Or they might just beat us fair and square 😥

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:03 am

I never saw that one coming. They wanted it desperately and we didn't turn up.

Both of our full backs got tortured and we were lucky that their number 9 couldn't hit a barn door otherwise it could have been 5, 6 or 7.

What else can you say after that?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:38 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I never saw that one coming. They wanted it desperately and we didn't turn up.

Both of our full backs got tortured and we were lucky that their number 9 couldn't hit a barn door otherwise it could have been 5, 6 or 7.

What else can you say after that?
Cannot remember Griffiths having such a poor game for us as that one, their winger had acres of space all game and Hedley pretty much the same.Lawlor back in as CB alongside Lees and Barrow to LB all day long for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:42 am

Accurate reflection of yesterday. Rushall have BS as their game in hand but they have a pretty nasty run-in. Farsley’s isn’t great either. Their game in hand is PS who they play home and away in the space of a few days. Another stat from yesterday is that Carver, Southport’s key forward, was sent off in the last minute so should miss the game at BM. I’m trying to find some positives after yesterday

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:49 am

Here’s a positive. Young will be back in goal on Friday.

I watched the live stream yesterday and my Taylor related, penalty box stress syndrome returned, big time. :thumbdown:

And it’s taken me quite sometime to get over this condition - and if I suffer from it, imagine how the Darlo defenders feel?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 am

Positive is if we can beat Southport and Farsley at home we will be fine.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:37 am

As I said earlier in this thread I think Tommy won’t be seen again in a Darlo shirt, so hopefully your stress will be abated. Sometimes in a player’s career you just get the feeling that it would be better for all concerned if they moved on, and I think that is now the case. There are some supporters who will never be happy with him in goal after this season, and he will be blamed for every goal we concede. The way forward for the club might well be to bring in a youngster from a local academy on a long term loan for next season. Doubtful we would get Young, but there may some other promising young keepers out there who could do a decent job for us, and gain valuable experience to further their own career.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:49 pm

I've always liked Tommy Taylor and think he's one of the better keepers of recent years. If we part ways at the end of the season he can hold his head high because he's pulled off many saves which have saved us points over his time here. He definitely could have done better with their 3rd yesterday though, and he will know that.

We've been spoiled having Young lately. It's like driving around in a Ford Mondeo - you like it, it's comfortable, it looks decent, it's pretty reliable, it does the job, then suddenly you have a Rolls Royce. There's just no comparison. It's a bit unfair to compare Tommy to the future England number 1.

As for next season I think we'll try and get Pete Jameson.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 pm

Ford Mondeo/Rolls Royce.
Great analogy👍

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:11 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:49 am
Here’s a positive. Young will be back in goal on Friday.

I watched the live stream yesterday and my Taylor related, penalty box stress syndrome returned, big time. :thumbdown:

And it’s taken me quite sometime to get over this condition - and if I suffer from it, imagine how the Darlo defenders feel?
It is not just your penalty box stress syndrome, our defenders have it as well. Not knowing if the keeper is coming for crosses or not
causes massive confusion as was evident yesterday. The calm assurance that Young displays spreads to the rest of the defence.
Rohan Maher on loan wing back from Walsall was a class apart and Griffiths won't have to face the likes of him again this season.
Just one of those days,