City Go Nap as Quakers Halt Slump

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

City Go Nap as Quakers Halt Slump

Post by biccynana » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 am

Stumbled across my copy of the above doing a bit of a sort out the other day. Had completely forgotten I had it. It's a nice little item, 20 or so pages of b&w photos of match day scenes at Feethams and Bootham Crescent in the mid 80s. It was published to coincide with an exhibition by the photographer, Michael Pearson, at a gallery in York.

Did anyone see the exhibition? Anyone else got this (even the British Library doesn't appear to have a copy!)?

Info about the photographer is a bit hard to come by too. All I've discovered is:
"Mike Pearson was born in Darlington in 1956 and lives in Lincoln. He is employed as a social worker in a community mental health team in the east midlands. He is also a writer and photographer whose books include 'City Go Nap As Quakers Halt Slump', 'Conversations In British Jazz' and 'Ask Me Now'."

I was living on Doncaster at the time so I have no idea how I found out about it (don't think Mission Impossible was around at that time so I can't have seen it publicised in there).

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -472677030

Darlo Since 68

Re: City Go Nap as Quakers Halt Slump

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:25 pm

I also have a copy of this.

I just had another look at it about 2 weeks ago as I was sorting out some memorabilia I have on the garage.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm

Darlo Since 68 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:25 pm
I also have a copy of this.

I just had another look at it about 2 weeks ago as I was sorting out some memorabilia I have on the garage.
It'll get wet if you keep it there ;)

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:33 am

I also have a copy but have no memory of how/where I bought it.

It’s great to have a photographic document of times gone by. Feethams seems like another world now. The memories (and smells) of playing there are fading in my aging brain.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:06 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:33 am
I also have a copy but have no memory of how/where I bought it.

It’s great to have a photographic document of times gone by. Feethams seems like another world now. The memories (and smells) of playing there are fading in my aging brain.
I think my favourite photo in the whole book is the one of the corner of the Tin Shed, where you came up from the cricket ground (having handed in the little ticket you'd been given at the turnstile). There's a copper with an old style bobby's helmet on, about two old blokes, and a fella with a pram! It couldn't be a more 1980s lower league football photo if it tried.