We’ve come along way.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

uncovered
Site Admin

We’ve come along way.

Post by uncovered » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 pm

Job is not done yet, but we have got ourselves in a position nobody would have ever believed just over a month ago.

Stay up and this will be like a mini promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: We’ve come along way.

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:31 pm

Has been an unbelievable turnaround. Hopefully we can win next week and quickly get enough points to guarantee safety. We then need to secure the services of Steve and Terry for the future. If we can do that and finish the season well, we will not only be safe, but we can carry some real momentum into next season as well. That matters, you only have to look back to the negativity that we carried over into this term, to know how important a positive feeling in the squad is going into a new season.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:38 pm

If this form continues which I hope it does there is a genuine danger of another club coming in for him - I know it can happen anyway even if he is tied down. I doubt Watson would stay if we went down but surely if/when it looks like we are safe we need to know if he wants to stay.

“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:16 pm

What is equally noticeable is the slide of Blyth and Farsley in the same time.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:30 pm

It really is incredibly impressive and while the board received a lot of criticism over some of the decisions they made over the last 15 months, they equally deserve some credit for getting the appointment of Watson & Mitchell spot on, as well as the decision to ask the owners for extra funding to back the new management.

If we do stay up then we should immediately focus on securing Watson & Mitchell for the next couple of seasons and if we do that I think we can be hopeful of a much better season next year and can hopefully capitalise on the inevitable renewed enthusiasm that this would bring.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:33 pm

And Scarborough have picked up only 2 points over the same period. Image

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 pm

uncovered wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:33 pm
And Scarborough have picked up only 2 points over the same period. Image

Points totals for some of the teams in this period:

Darlington 21
Scarborough 2
Bishop's Stortford 0
Gloucester 7
Kings Lynn 14
Rushall 7
Southport 13
Banbury 0
Blyth 4
Farsley 5

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:30 pm
It really is incredibly impressive and while the board received a lot of criticism over some of the decisions they made over the last 15 months, they equally deserve some credit for getting the appointment of Watson & Mitchell spot on, as well as the decision to ask the owners for extra funding to back the new management.

If we do stay up then we should immediately focus on securing Watson & Mitchell for the next couple of seasons and if we do that I think we can be hopeful of a much better season next year and can hopefully capitalise on the inevitable renewed enthusiasm that this would bring.

Watson was overlooked for the position back in September ahead of Gowling, and Terry Mitchell was Watson's man.

If Watson was not involved in the original process back in September, then I would agree, but he was and he over overlooked.

Also, the fans did the hard part raising the money. The decision to promote another fundraising drive at the time was an easy one given the mess we were in at the time. It was up to the fan-base to back it.

Regardless, we are all unified by the two men in charge at the moment and are all working towards the goal of staying up.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:59 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm
Spyman wrote:

Watson was overlooked for the position back in September ahead of Gowling, and Terry Mitchell was Watson's man.

If Watson was not involved in the original process back in September, then I would agree, but he was and he over overlooked.

Also, the fans did the hard part raising the money. The decision to promote another fundraising drive at the time was an easy one given the mess we were in at the time. It was up to the fan-base to back it.

Regardless, we are all unified by the two men in charge at the moment and are all working towards the goal of staying up.
Wondered where you had gone 97, nice to hear you being supportive for once, still feel for you a bit as you still haven’t got over the JG appointment, final comment from me to you is, you can’t change the past.

Onwards and upwards under two very good people in SW & TM, people make mistakes but, try not to dwell on it as you can’t change it.
Last edited by Heaton out on Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:09 pm

He has been quiet because we have been winning, and he hasn’t been able to indulge himself in criticism of the club. Personally, I hope he we don’t hear anything else from him, if it means we are still doing well 😆

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:16 pm

Constructive as ever from you two.

I've been enjoying our winning run as much an anyone. :thumbup:

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:19 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:09 pm
He has been quiet because we have been winning, and he hasn’t been able to indulge himself in criticism of the club. Personally, I hope he we don’t hear anything else from him, if it means we are still doing well 😆
Exactly, well said, only interested in negativity, no sign of him after any of our recent wins (until now) which speaks volumes.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
It really is incredibly impressive and while the board received a lot of criticism over some of the decisions they made over the last 15 months, they equally deserve some credit for getting the appointment of Watson & Mitchell spot on, as well as the decision to ask the owners for extra funding to back the new management

Oh to be so perfect to never make an error.

Credit can be given for recognising mistakes and then correcting them
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
It really is incredibly impressive and while the board received a lot of criticism over some of the decisions they made over the last 15 months, they equally deserve some credit for getting the appointment of Watson & Mitchell spot on, as well as the decision to ask the owners for extra funding to back the new management

What are you talking about? :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:48 pm

I am not sure just because you made a mistake that means you can never be given credit for when you correct those errors.

To suggest otherwise is getting on for only crediting perfection.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:48 pm
I am not sure just because you made a mistake that means you can never be given credit for when you correct those errors.

To suggest otherwise is getting on for only crediting perfection.
That is simply not true I'm afraid.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:44 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Credit can be given for recognising mistakes and then correcting them
Oh god even the world's most boring man is getting in on it now.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:27 pm

uncovered wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 pm
Job is not done yet, but we have got ourselves in a position nobody would have ever believed just over a month ago.

Stay up and this will be like a mini promotion.

Just done the maths and at the PPG of Watson's 16 matches so far, that would be 78 points in a season. We're watching a play off standard team.

No wonder I've gone from utter desperation under Clowning to genuinely thinking we are going to win every week.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:27 am

To be fair 97 is correct. The appointment of JG was questioned right back when the decision to employ him was made. I was another not totally sure it would work out and when weighing up the credentials it smacked of a desperate punt on something different (JG) rather than the tried and tested (SW). Yes you can't turn back time and things could have gone a different way, but when you employ someone who was mediocre at best with Hereford, then the warning signs were blatantly obvious. At the moment the slight frustration is that if SW had been given the job right away we quite possibly would have not been leaving it this late to revive a survival bid and may have even squeezed close to a playoff spot.

However the board do get credit for realising this and rectifying the mistake, it's just one that could quite obviously have been avoided. Hopefully, we can stay up and build a team under the current management.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Yes, we all know Watson was overlooked. Credit to the Board for accepting their error and going back for him.

And yes, the owners where the ones who had to part with their cash, but the Board took a risk asking for more money - the owners could've (and some did) say "no, its your mistake, we're not fixing it or you".

Mistakes have been made, but the last couple of big decisions made seem to have been the right ones and while criticism has rightly been sent their way, we should also give credit where its due without feeling the need to caveat it.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 am

Spyman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Yes, we all know Watson was overlooked. Credit to the Board for accepting their error and going back for him.

And yes, the owners where the ones who had to part with their cash, but the Board took a risk asking for more money - the owners could've (and some did) say "no, its your mistake, we're not fixing it or you".

Mistakes have been made, but the last couple of big decisions made seem to have been the right ones and while criticism has rightly been sent their way, we should also give credit where its due without feeling the need to caveat it.
I agree

Clearly a massive error giving the job to Gowling. I hope the board have reflected on the decision making process that allowed such a bad mistake to be made. However, credit to them for correcting the mistake - and it looks like they did so just in time. I seem to remember there was a school of thougth there was no point in raising the 30k - we may as well just accept our fate and save the cash for next season (I can't even remember if I was of the same opinion, although I did think we were gone) - so credit to the boards for instigating it (and obviously credit to those who did put money in).

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:36 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:27 am
To be fair 97 is correct. The appointment of JG was questioned right back when the decision to employ him was made. I was another not totally sure it would work out and when weighing up the credentials it smacked of a desperate punt on something different (JG) rather than the tried and tested (SW). Yes you can't turn back time and things could have gone a different way, but when you employ someone who was mediocre at best with Hereford, then the warning signs were blatantly obvious. At the moment the slight frustration is that if SW had been given the job right away we quite possibly would have not been leaving it this late to revive a survival bid and may have even squeezed close to a playoff spot.

However the board do get credit for realising this and rectifying the mistake, it's just one that could quite obviously have been avoided. Hopefully, we can stay up and build a team under the current management.
I think the take out from this saga is...

Always go for the obvious choice. Always.

There is no guarantee of success (whatever success is) even with the obvious choice, but the odds will be higher.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:40 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 am
I agree

Clearly a massive error giving the job to Gowling. I hope the board have reflected on the decision making process that allowed such a bad mistake to be made. However, credit to them for correcting the mistake - and it looks like they did so just in time. I seem to remember there was a school of thougth there was no point in raising the 30k - we may as well just accept our fate and save the cash for next season (I can't even remember if I was of the same opinion, although I did think we were gone) - so credit to the boards for instigating it (and obviously credit to those who did put money in).
Certainly in hindsight it was worth raising the 30k, we ended up with 3 cracking players who made a big difference, 4 if we hang on to Young until the end of the season.

Watson certainly spent his money well despite missing out on several targets, and Quakerlad has finally stopped twisting.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:24 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:16 pm
What is equally noticeable is the slide of Blyth and Farsley in the same time.

Farsley have taken steps to try to halt the slide. They've made coaching assistant Danny Ellis available for first team selection at the age of 38 because they've been in disarray at the back. They're also bringing their "Director of Football" Pav Singh into the dugout to help boss Clayton Donaldson, who's struggling to stop their plunge down the league. Looks like panic stations.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:35 am

If only we’d brought back Martin Gray, like the Facebook cognoscenti demanded. I imagine we’d be in play off contention now.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:54 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:40 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 am
I agree

Certainly in hindsight it was worth raising the 30k, we ended up with 3 cracking players who made a big difference, 4 if we hang on to Young until the end of the season.

Watson certainly spent his money well despite missing out on several targets, and Quakerlad has finally stopped twisting.
Yep, you are right!!

4 astute signings have basically gone a long way to getting us out of the JG mess.

Dominant keeper, defender who organises, creativity in midfield, forward who can hold ball up. Not rocket science was it, why Gowling couldn’t see exactly what we needed is beyond me. Money well spent for sure if we stay up.

More than that though, if he stays then BTB this summer might just be huge again now we know it’s in good hands.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:18 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:36 pm

There is no guarantee of success (whatever success is) even with the obvious choice, but the odds will be higher.
The benefit of the obvious choice is it reduces noise from the outset.

I am not sure Luke Williams was the obvious choice for Notts County

Some times the gambles pay off.

Quakers2009

Post by Quakers2009 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:11 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:18 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:36 pm

The benefit of the obvious choice is it reduces noise from the outset.

I am not sure Luke Williams was the obvious choice for Notts County

Some times the gambles pay off.
Of course the gamble can pay off, sometimes.

But taking into account Gowling's poor NLN win-percentage, stat-padding in FA cup-competitions, poor recruitment strategy, inability to manage senior players, his cagey PMIs, location, and the fact that he had never worked with his assistant before suggests that this was one hell of a gamble.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 pm

Apparently Watson wasn't even second choice last time.
Just glad common sense prevailed and Howling got the boot before he did any more damage.