Blyth V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TKOA
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth V Darlington

Post by TKOA » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:08 pm

Blyth haven’t won in 10 now, their commentator called it ‘worse than relegation form’. I’ve never heard it put like that before as I don’t know what could get worse than relegation but
but I’d fancy them to go down.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 pm

TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:52 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:41 pm
TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:33 pm
I think our biggest challenge will be keeping hold of Watson!
First things first. :D
Once he’s kept us up of course! 😂
I don’t think we should give anyone that opportunity, get him to sign on the dotted line.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:18 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:03 pm
IF we do stay up, would this beat Hodgy's season 03/04 in terms of where we were league-wise? Steve Watson has done wonders just to get us within touching distance of safety and makes you wonder what prevented us from employing him after AA because if we could of we may have even made the playoffs on this form!?!
https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/dar ... fc/2004/3/

http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/eng/200 ... /darli.htm

Interesting looking back on that season had to remind myself of some of the results that but a team with Liddle and the bald messiah were never going to get relegated!

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:19 pm

Six wins in his last 8 for Watson. That is how many Armstrong managed in his last 8 months. Incredible impact .

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:37 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 pm
TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:52 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:41 pm
TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:33 pm
I think our biggest challenge will be keeping hold of Watson!
First things first. :D
Once he’s kept us up of course! 😂
I don’t think we should give anyone that opportunity, get him to sign on the dotted line.
Add Cornish, Platt, Lees and Barrow to that list too, been outstanding of late.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:42 am

Brilliant performance tonight, we were way better than Blyth who looked pretty poor. The scoreline didn't do us justice. Hard to pick a MOTM as they were all superb. Great following tonight and good to see some fans had travelled long distances to come up for the game.

Piggy_

Post by Piggy_ » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:16 am

TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:08 pm
Blyth haven’t won in 10 now, their commentator called it ‘worse than relegation form’. I’ve never heard it put like that before as I don’t know what could get worse than relegation but
but I’d fancy them to go down.
Apparently Nobby Solano was sat with the Blyth directors at the game- perhaps their manager in waiting? If we do stay up I’d like Blyth to as well- least it’s a local (ish) game

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:53 am

Massive win & seemed in control most of the game, apart from last 15 minutes. Credit to Steve W & Terry, in fact the whole team & travelling support. I think we could easily get some of the nail bars in town as sponsors or at least pay for an advertising hoarding at BM.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:32 am

I don't think my heart has slowed down from the last five minutes yet, cracking atmosphere just as good as at South Shields. Blyth in first half were better than us, we gave the ball away time after time, which was more JG era; Hedley and Cornish kept getting overloaded and that save By Young from barrows header was unbelievable.
Curry had a poor game couldn't hold it up and how many times Main or Salkeld ran across the pitch to close down a Blyth player next to him(I lost count) I thought he carried a knock but then he sprinted to chase balls.
Second half much better play Platt or Salkeld MOTM but those last five minutes staring at the other end as the ball pinged around you just didn't know how close the ball was to going in. Full credit to TM for his tactics and even SW cracked a smileWe really do have a chance

LMQuaker

Post by LMQuaker » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 am

A lot saying Blyth were poor and we were the much better team, certainly didn't seem like that to me. We were very lucky to go in at half time in the lead, spent most of it chasing shadows.

Second half we were better but it was still a very poor game, although not surprising given the lack of squad depth and the effort the lads have been putting in recently.

I think it's still imperative we get a few bodies in. We need someone to ease the load on Cedric Main, he's crying out for a bit of a rest. Maybe, just maybe, we will manage to get some minutes out of Asante soon.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:50 am

Main can have a little rest next Tuesday. ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 am

A great night, fans were excellent, both goals taken well. Players are running on fumes and need the break from 2 games a week. Confidence seemed just a little down after Spenny game as we dropped deep after Cornishes goal and gave what should have been easy passes away.
We missed Nelson up front to win and hold the ball, and to be honest we were not playing to Curry's strengths in the game so he struggled up front.
Although some on here are saying Blyth are rubbish, that was not my view, they played some good football, moved the ball fast, and had runners, and created a few chances, I am hoping they stay up as I really like that club.
I am one who thought that we were down only what seemed like a few short games ago, but what an exciting end to the season now.

"UP THE QUAKERS"

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:56 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:58 pm
Also, it's looking like York are in big danger of dropping back down to this level.

I hope they don't come asking SW to go back.
That thought crossed my mind when I saw the York result - I don't think it would happen though - SW doesn't need to let anyone know what a good manager he is. Better outfits than York will be watching but at least the way things are going we're likely to have a local derby again next season.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 am

Support was fantastic last night never stopped singing the whole game the players appreciated it and spent quite a while applauding the fan at the end , great night for all DFC fans player's staff.another vital 3 points, keep it going and we can hold our position in the NLN . Hope Blyth can also stay up they aren't a bad team.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 am

LMQuaker wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 am
A lot saying Blyth were poor and we were the much better team, certainly didn't seem like that to me. We were very lucky to go in at half time in the lead, spent most of it chasing shadows.

Second half we were better but it was still a very poor game, although not surprising given the lack of squad depth and the effort the lads have been putting in recently.

I think it's still imperative we get a few bodies in. We need someone to ease the load on Cedric Main, he's crying out for a bit of a rest. Maybe, just maybe, we will manage to get some minutes out of Asante soon.
WHO ??????

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:26 am

Some very loud shouting on Merseyside last night! Fantastic effort on the pitch and in the stands but the filming wasn't a patch on the mighty Kev Luff. What a boost it would be to have Siddik, Asante, Nelson, Liddle and Moke fit and available.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:36 am

Nice to finally be out of the relegation zone! Still a way to go, but the way that we are playing now I am confident we will carry on picking up points. 7 games to go and we need - maybe about 10 points? That feels very doable, as long as we can keep key players fit. I do worry what would happen if Main in particular was to get injured though.

Great to hear in Young's interview the plan is to extend the loan - hopefully that can be confirmed soon.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am

50 years wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 am
A great night, fans were excellent, both goals taken well. Players are running on fumes and need the break from 2 games a week. Confidence seemed just a little down after Spenny game as we dropped deep after Cornishes goal and gave what should have been easy passes away.
We missed Nelson up front to win and hold the ball, and to be honest we were not playing to Curry's strengths in the game so he struggled up front.
Although some on here are saying Blyth are rubbish, that was not my view, they played some good football, moved the ball fast, and had runners, and created a few chances, I am hoping they stay up as I really like that club.
I am one who thought that we were down only what seemed like a few short games ago, but what an exciting end to the season now.

"UP THE QUAKERS"
As usual a very fair reflection of the game. Like you I thought Blyth played some decent football, especially for a team on such a poor run of form. I also hope they stay up and would be much happier if the current bottom 4 went down, as Bishop Stortford, Gloucester, Banbury and Rushall being relegated would save on some of the travelling next season.
Great vocal support from the terraces last night, and happy to report no sign of any flares on the pitch.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:24 am

Really enjoyed watching the goals again, and listening to the post match interviews with Terry Mitchell, Matty Cornish and Matty Young. Great to hear that the keeper is enjoying his stint here and is hoping to extend his stay until the end of the season.
Well done Stuart Armstrong for asking some pertinent questions, and getting some informative answers from his interviewees.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 am

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:36 am
Nice to finally be out of the relegation zone! Still a way to go, but the way that we are playing now I am confident we will carry on picking up points. 7 games to go and we need - maybe about 10 points? That feels very doable, as long as we can keep key players fit. I do worry what would happen if Main in particular was to get injured though.

Great to hear in Young's interview the plan is to extend the loan - hopefully that can be confirmed soon.
Beat Rushall, Southport and Peterborough Sports and I think we are there.

It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up on 55/56 points (Farsley plus a draw) the way things are going and we end up 5 or 6 points clear of the drop.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:06 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 am
al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:36 am

Beat Rushall, Southport and Peterborough Sports and I think we are there.

It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up on 55/56 points (Farsley plus a draw) the way things are going and we end up 5 or 6 points clear of the drop.
Settle down Lo :D This is Darlo we are talking about. As said elsewhere, if anything happens Cedric - we have a problem.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:49 am

Just watched the 3 interviews from last night, sat smiling as its fantastic to hear all the positive stuff after such a bad time, lot of hard work still to be done but the way we are playing and the sprit in the dressing room has me now feeling very optimistic.

What a job Steve and Terry have done & are doing :clap:

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 pm

I thought Rivers was outstanding when he came on last night, full of energy, pressed the ball, hassled defenders and made the them sit deeper. Excellent on the ball too.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm

MB86DFC wrote:I thought Rivers was outstanding when he came on last night, full of energy, pressed the ball, hassled defenders and made the them sit deeper. Excellent on the ball too.
Great substitution as he is a very tidy player and rarely gives the ball away which is what we were doing in the first half.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:26 pm

Delighted with the result and some aspects of the performance, we probably need something like 9/10 points from the last 7 games to make sure of survival. Fully believe we’ll do it and may actually get a lot more than that but it’s no time to get carried away.

First half performance wasn’t great, particularly after we scored but we still looked well organised without the ball and eventually Blyth lost heart because of it. Frustrating that we allowed them back into the game with a basic set piece because we were in full control at the time and looked like we might add one or two more goals.

At the moment we’re almost playing the same team every match, which you can see why but whether we can continue to do so will be crucial. Platt & Hatfield have got a really good rhythm playing together if one of those misses a couple of games that could make a big difference.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:39 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:49 am
Just watched the 3 interviews from last night, sat smiling as its fantastic to hear all the positive stuff after such a bad time, lot of hard work still to be done but the way we are playing and the sprit in the dressing room has me now feeling very optimistic.

What a job Steve and Terry have done & are doing :clap:
What struck me in the Terry Mitchell interview is that there has been a return to good, basic man management, respect, good organisation, motivation and a clear pattern of play that the squad have bought into.

You can have all the psychology degrees and laptop theory in the world but without getting the basics right you're doomed to fail.

Watson and Mitchell came in with a clear plan, instilled belief back into players who had been looking chaotic, frustrated, alienated and confused and we are now reaping the rewards.
What a transformation by these two who really get the basics of effectively managing and getting the best out of a group of players.

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:40 pm

Great strike by Cornish.

I thought the way he controlled the ball on his chest and set himself up for the shot was superb.

Hopefully SW and TM will keep the lads focussed as still a lot of games to go.