Spennymoor V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor V Darlington

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:12 pm
Tin pot club that aren’t even our local rivals , bless em!

Let’s not lose sight, winnable games coming up, let’s get behind the lads for the run in
Sorry but by any definition they are local rivals, because they are in the same league as us and are 15 miles up the road. That makes them local and rivals. Please explain how you don’t think that is the case.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:58 pm

And they have been our rivals since we were competing with them for the Northern League title.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 pm

They are not our local rivals. They never have been and never will be. A local rivalry is deep-rooted, historic, cultural, religious, political etc. We share none of that with them despite their desperate efforts to create something. Please don’t pander to them.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:44 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 pm
They are not our local rivals. They never have been and never will be. A local rivalry is deep-rooted, historic, cultural, religious, political etc. We share none of that with them despite their desperate efforts to create something. Please don’t pander to them.
That is a ridiculous statement. You need to reset to 2024, because the reality is we are a NLN team, and our nearest rivals are Spennymoor. These are the facts, you may wish it was different, but it is what it is. In fact they are guaranteed to be in this league next season, we have an almighty scrap on our hands to ensure we can say the same.
I dislike their small time pit village mentality as much as most other fans, but we have to accept where we are in the pecking order, and that is a struggling 6th tier team.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:47 pm

I’d like to think we wouldn’t be as embarrassing as that under the circumstances you’ve just presented. At no point would I think we had a rivalry with either of those clubs and yet Spenny treat our fixture like it’s a derby rooted in decades of history.

On an unrelated note, the song involving the IRA and us has to be one of the most embarrassing things I’ve heard in a good while following the club. Just a strange place to go every time.
What song is this?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:10 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:44 pm
grimsbyquaker wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 pm
That is a ridiculous statement. You need to reset to 2024, because the reality is we are a NLN team, and our nearest rivals are Spennymoor. These are the facts, you may wish it was different, but it is what it is. In fact they are guaranteed to be in this league next season, we have an almighty scrap on our hands to ensure we can say the same.
I dislike their small time pit village mentality as much as most other fans, but we have to accept where we are in the pecking order, and that is a struggling 6th tier team.
I know what league/situation we’re in. That doesn’t mean there is a need to manufacture a new fierce rivalry with a team that is close to us geographically. Our rivalry is with HUFC. SAFC are now in The Championship but NUFC are their rivals and vice versa, not MFC who are in the same league as them. That’s how it is with us and HUFC. STFC are desperate to create something but it’s a one-sided relationship

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 am

This “rivalry” talk is embarrassing. There are adult Darlington fans who have never seen a meaningful competitive game against Hartlepool, but have seen many against Spennymoor.

It’s all relative. You can choose to live in the past, or the present. Whilst historically Hartlepool were our rivals, our last league game against was in 2007. I get that people want them to still live rent free in their heads, but supporting a team shouldn’t be defined by who you hate. I wince every time I hear the songs about hating Hartlepool.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:08 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:44 pm
I see the club have put out something on the official website regarding the throwing of pyrotechnics on to the pitch. Obviously, it is serious if it leads to a fine or other punishments, but I am at a loss to know how the culprit managed to get one into the ground, as everyone was being searched before they entered.
We really need to get on top of this idiot, or idiots. Someone on here must know who he/they are and should report it.
This is costing the club money that we don't have.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:29 am

If we had been in the same league for longer than 11 years then Spenny would have thought of as a bigger match than Hartlepool, it’s closer for a start, we even share a postcode! Unfortunately for them they have been a northern league side for much of their history and we were in the football league so we’re still seen as somewhat of a scalp, I think Blyth and Shields still look at us being a scalp seeing as they were salivating at the thought of relegating us.

Some people won’t agree with this but had we met Sunderland in league 1 (Far fetched I know) then a lot of our younger fans would have been going on the same way as the Spennymoor fans did yesterday, especially as a lot of our fan base seem to also support Newcastle!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:41 am

Was there any trouble after the game, as saw various police cars and vans heading towards the town centre with lights flashing and in a hurry?

LMQuaker

Post by LMQuaker » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:46 am

Their obsession with making it a derby/rivalry is just as embarrassing as some of our fans denial that it is one.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm

It was a bit of a surprise to see left-back Reece Staunton come on as a second half sub for Spenny given that he wasn't listed as a sub in their published teamsheet before the game. Dan Myers had been getting absolutely roasted down that flank in the first half and they obviously had to stem the flow.

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:39 pm

Derby v Forest, Mansfield v Chesterfield, Newcastle v Sunderland to name a few, all in different divisions but still fierce rivals. Your rivals don’t change because you’re in a different division. So for me it will always be Pools

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:21 pm

Spratts corner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:39 pm
Derby v Forest, Mansfield v Chesterfield, Newcastle v Sunderland to name a few, all in different divisions but still fierce rivals. Your rivals don’t change because you’re in a different division. So for me it will always be Pools
If we get relegated we will have a new local rival, as almost certainly Stockton are going to be promoted to the NPL. Newton Aycliffe are also in with a good chance of making the playoffs, and could also be promoted.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:37 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm
It was a bit of a surprise to see left-back Reece Staunton come on as a second half sub for Spenny given that he wasn't listed as a sub in their published team sheet before the game. Dan Myers had been getting absolutely roasted down that flank in the first half and they obviously had to stem the flow.
Was this substitute legal, having not been named on the official team sheet. It does beg the question legally were they right to play him having not named him prior to the game.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:02 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:37 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm
It was a bit of a surprise to see left-back Reece Staunton come on as a second half sub for Spenny given that he wasn't listed as a sub in their published team sheet before the game. Dan Myers had been getting absolutely roasted down that flank in the first half and they obviously had to stem the flow.
Was this substitute legal, having not been named on the official team sheet. It does beg the question legally were they right to play him having not named him prior to the game.
It's more likely the published team sheet isn't the same as the offical one that was handed to the referee.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:14 pm

Two things might have happened.

Printed teamsheet is wrong. Seen this before the version exchanged ends up being copied over wrong by the person who types up the printed team sheet.

There is a change before KO due to injury in the warm up. As long as everyone is notified of the change it's fine.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 pm
Heaton out wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:12 pm
Tin pot club that aren’t even our local rivals , bless em!

Let’s not lose sight, winnable games coming up, let’s get behind the lads for the run in
Sorry but by any definition they are local rivals, because they are in the same league as us and are 15 miles up the road. That makes them local and rivals. Please explain how you don’t think that is the case.
See Grimsby Quakers reply old git, perfectly put, no need for me to add anything more 😊

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 pm

Spratts corner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:39 pm
This👍🏻