South Shields v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

South Shields v Darlo

Post by bga » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am

Oh dear this goes from bad to very bad. See preview mentions Sukar is on loan but no mention of Rowe or Moke! You would have thought after all the speculation regards Asante preview could confirm he is fit to be considered for selection, if he is. Only mentions a fitness test for Taylor. Like many previously this is yet another example of very poor communication from the Club.

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/south-s ... -preview-1

CrazyDarlo

Re: South Shields v Darlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:21 am

Moke still on loan, Rowe has joined Hednesford on a permanent deal. Presume at the very least their will be a goalkeeper coming in today.

LMQuaker

Post by LMQuaker » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:28 am

Surely that means Asante is fit and ready to feature? If there's no mention of him in the preview yet he is nowhere to be seen on Saturday then that's ridiculous from the club.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:29 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:21 am
Moke still on loan, Rowe has joined Hednesford on a permanent deal. Presume at the very least their will be a goalkeeper coming in today.
Yes we know about Moke but he still wasn't mentioned. Have Club anounced Rowe has gone I must have missed this?

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:18 am

I used to think that the criticism of the club's communications was a little unfair but it now seems to be sinking faster than on field success. I know it will be difficult to keep some positivity in the output when everyone can see that we are speeding in the wrong direction, but trying to spin good news and asking only questions that are calculated not to go near the elephant in the room looks painfully inadequate and annoying. Why can no one at the club understand that trying to talk up games to suggest that the outcomes may be different to all the other failures just invites ridicule. We all have to live in hope but a bit of a reality check wouldn't go amiss. And the failure to answer fan's concerns, clearly and frequently stated on this site, shows how far removed from the fan-owned ethos of the club the governance has become. It seems that the more the team fails on the field the more embattled those who oversee this situation have become. They appear to want to project a whistling in the dark philosophy that if no one talks about the problems we have then they don't exist. A rather clear example of which is the Asante situation, where they seem to hope if they don't mention his name we will forget he is as the club.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:18 am

Hate to say it but we are becoming tin pot in terms of information & communication

Back to the original thread, shields must be bankers on the accas for those who like a bet, hopefully I am wrong but I cant see anything but a SS win in these dark times at DFC

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:45 am

Seeing as Tommy Taylor needs a fitness test, whether he passes it or not, maybe a stand by keeper coming in for a couple of weeks wouldn't have been amiss? Nothing mentioned thus far and I feel that if Tommy were to be injured again we would be ripped apart if we were to have to play an outfield player in goal, unless of course we have a Gary Brown wating in the wings.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:06 pm

shields scored nine goals in in last four games, including 1-0 defeat to Alfreton, whilst our strikers including Asante have scored nine goals in the last 16 games, best we can hope for then is a 0-0 draw where we have managed five clean sheets all season.Don't expect Taylor to be fit enough to last 90 minutes so a loanee must be a priority, hoping for battling performance from everyone and not the easy pushovers that faced Alfreton.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm

I think it could be a tight game with them edging it by virtue of having someone who is scoring goals, Blackett. We do look a bit better in defence these days but still hardly ever look like scoring and going 1-0 down generally means game over. Their game against Alfreton followed the same pattern as ours. Shields had lots of the ball but struggled to break down Alfreton's agricultural, no-nonsense defending.

I'm a bit surprised their owner still has no takers several months after announcing the club as up for sale. He says he's spent £8m on the team and ground and there will be no external debt for the new owners. Anyone buying would be getting the vastly improved ground, training facilities, big crowds and thriving Academy but there doesn't seem to be a stampede to buy the club which clearly loses a lot of money as it currently operates.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:46 pm

en passant wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:18 am
I used to think that the criticism of the club's communications was a little unfair but it now seems to be sinking faster than on field success. I know it will be difficult to keep some positivity in the output when everyone can see that we are speeding in the wrong direction, but trying to spin good news and asking only questions that are calculated not to go near the elephant in the room looks painfully inadequate and annoying. Why can no one at the club understand that trying to talk up games to suggest that the outcomes may be different to all the other failures just invites ridicule. We all have to live in hope but a bit of a reality check wouldn't go amiss. And the failure to answer fan's concerns, clearly and frequently stated on this site, shows how far removed from the fan-owned ethos of the club the governance has become. It seems that the more the team fails on the field the more embattled those who oversee this situation have become. They appear to want to project a whistling in the dark philosophy that if no one talks about the problems we have then they don't exist. A rather clear example of which is the Asante situation, where they seem to hope if they don't mention his name we will forget he is as the club.
Completely agree.

Just listened to pre match interview and could have pressed repeat on any number of past ones!

Watson even said something like “ we don’t have the personnel to put high crosses into the box” . Actually we do, but even then, no follow up question about Asante. It’s like he just does not exist.

Clearly no signings again, except maybe an emergency type of keeper, but not even a question on it!

Two players left the club and again no mention of it, we find out about one from a lower tier clubs PR.

We honestly need a kind of “2 months in” type of interview conducted by the other guy, sorry cannot recall his name but is good with Watson. Totally accept we won’t get fine detail but generically, questions and info on the squad, departures, problems he is clearly encountering signing players, yes info on Asante etc etc.

It has never been more important to keep us all engaged yet it feels like the opposite currently. Please, don’t miss this opportunity because you so need us all to keep on board.

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:29 pm

Tin pot is where we are. Seems like nobody can be arsed anymore. Wouldn’t surprise me if we recall Sukar to play in goal got us tomorrow. There’s a shake up needed or we are going to disappear.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:49 pm

Quakerlad, I think he’s called Stuart.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:49 pm
Quakerlad, I think he’s called Stuart.
I think you are referring to Stuart Armstrong. He actually asks meaningful questions and doesn’t try to answer the question himself. Maybe the club prefer Ray’s banal approach.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:27 pm

To be fair, there was nothing the club could have done on the Rowe announcement, if Hednesford have announced it before the paperwork was approved.

However, there is a wider-issue that needs addressing regarding the communication.

Asante is a perfect example. He has been brought in to be our main centre-forward. The signing was heralded as a coup for the football club, so for him to not be mentioned in either the match preview or pre-match interview with SW is totally bizarre.

What is going on?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:37 pm

Rumours of 2 signings, including a keeper in time for tomorrow.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 pm

If Tommy isn’t fit, we do have another keeper on the books, Harvey Kelly I believe is still on our books.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:03 pm

loan_star wrote:Rumours of 2 signings, including a keeper in time for tomorrow.
Any more to add loan star.What position is the other possible signing?

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:45 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 pm
If Tommy isn’t fit, we do have another keeper on the books, Harvey Kelly I believe is still on our books.
Genuinely rather put myself in goal
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:52 pm

According to the Tinshed we’ve signed Sunderland under 21 keeper Matty Young and is very highly rated.

He’s only 17 so let’s hope he’s ready.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:55 pm

Had a quick google, sounds good to me. Man City have been keeping tabs on him too.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... d-27358330

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:27 pm

Could he be the next Jordan Pickford ?

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:51 pm

So in the same week that Spenny sign Brad James, Matty Dolan, Lufudu and another attacking midfielder we sign an emergency 17 yr old keeper on loan for a month. ( nothing against the lad at all, sure he is an excellent prospect)

Says it all really doesn’t it. Yes, I know they have money and we don’t but doesn’t make it any less maddening. Oh and they announce a fans forum with the new manager to talk it all through! In other words, doing things properly and engaging.

We are just in a mess in so many areas. The ground if at all looks years away so no signs of anything changing. Pretty depressing unfortunately. Yes, having a doom and gloom moment after seeing their signings again!!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:09 pm

Quakerlad wrote:So in the same week that Spenny sign Brad James, Matty Dolan, Lufudu and another attacking midfielder we sign an emergency 17 yr old keeper on loan for a month. ( nothing against the lad at all, sure he is an excellent prospect)

Says it all really doesn’t it. Yes, I know they have money and we don’t but doesn’t make it any less maddening. Oh and they announce a fans forum with the new manager to talk it all through! In other words, doing things properly and engaging.

We are just in a mess in so many areas. The ground if at all looks years away so no signs of anything changing. Pretty depressing unfortunately. Yes, having a doom and gloom moment after seeing their signings again!!
God knows how many players Lee has signed since he became their manager, must be at least 8 by my reckoning so they must have a massive squad.Groves must be splashing the cash into his vanity project again even after the demise of GAS.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:10 pm

We’re so low down the pecking order in the north east now it’s laughable.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:40 pm

I'm not sure how far £30k goes in the current climate but we did sign a striker who had scored and created goals at this level (with an extended contract), who was in demand, along with Barrow (loan but cost implications) and Cornish, who looks lively. There is also some ineffectual/not up to it players for SW to work through along with a hugely expensive unfit/ill/injured mistake inflicted by the previous manager.

And by all accounts some targets didn't fancy a losing relegation scrap or the prospect of NPL and others have been lured elsewhere by the kind of money we don't have. It's just the way things are and probably not down to lack of contacts or any kind of laxness in the tracking down and securing targets.

Yes Brad Groves has found some money down the back of the sofa that the taxman hasn't managed to get his hands on but that's just the way it is with a heavily bankrolled club that will always manage to trump what we can do.

I think Watson is doing the best he can with the dog's breakfast he has inherited quite late in the day.

LMQuaker

Post by LMQuaker » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 pm

I think the way they play will actually suit us. We do play decent football and it should be a good game. The all important thing is the first goal because as soon as we concede, the heads drop and it's curtains.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:49 pm

LMQuaker wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 pm
I think the way they play will actually suit us. We do play decent football and it should be a good game. The all important thing is the first goal because as soon as we concede, the heads drop and it's curtains.
Absolutely correct. I believe we have scored first in every game we have won this season. Concede first and this spineless bunch just lose.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:27 pm
To be fair, there was nothing the club could have done on the Rowe announcement, if Hednesford have announced it before the paperwork was approved.

However, there is a wider-issue that needs addressing regarding the communication.

Asante is a perfect example. He has been brought in to be our main centre-forward. The signing was heralded as a coup for the football club, so for him to not be mentioned in either the match preview or pre-match interview with SW is totally bizarre.

What is going on?
Maybe the club just don't want to get everyone's hopes up regarding Asante, and then him break down in the pre match warm up or catch a last minute chill or something.

Having said that, even if he is available, all he will do is amble around in midfield doing fuck all.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:57 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:51 pm
So in the same week that Spenny sign Brad James, Matty Dolan, Lufudu and another attacking midfielder we sign an emergency 17 yr old keeper on loan for a month. ( nothing against the lad at all, sure he is an excellent prospect)

All those signings won't make Graeme Lee a good manager. Signing a shed load of players doesn't necessarily mean anything unless they are all much better than what you already have.

Clowning signed FOURTEEN players, you've soon forgotten that spree.

Faverdale

Post by Faverdale » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:28 am