Darlington V Scunthorpe

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Scunthorpe

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:03 pm

Just seen the weather forecast, its going to be very windy tomorrow night.

Old Git

Re: Darlington V Scunthorpe

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:03 pm
Just seen the weather forecast, its going to be very windy tomorrow night.
Good it might spoil the game. That might be to our advantage 🤪

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:03 pm

Seen on the Scunny forum that some of them are going to try getting in the home end to avoid being out in the open end.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:51 am

Torrential rain tonight, I'd be very surprised if the game goes ahead. It's also forecasting winds in excess of 50mph around 9pm. I guess there will be a pitch inspection this afternoon before their fans travel. Also with the wind direction I doubt fans in the tinshed will be able to stay dry.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:51 am
Torrential rain tonight, I'd be very surprised if the game goes ahead. It's also forecasting winds in excess of 50mph around 9pm. I guess there will be a pitch inspection this afternoon before their fans travel. Also with the wind direction I doubt fans in the tinshed will be able to stay dry.
I hope it will be off, with the winds and rain forecast it won’t be entertaining that’s for sure.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 am

Darlobill wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I hope it will be off, with the winds and rain forecast it won’t be entertaining that’s for sure.
I agree, I also think if it goes ahead it will have a bad affect on the attendance, as you're only going to get the diehard fans turn up for the game.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Any reason why the game would be unplayable at the time of the pitch inspection?

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 am

No hint of a pitch inspection from the club in the reminder just posted on Facebook. Whilst the coming storm is likely to make attending the game a very uncomfortable experience this will not be a reason to call the game off. If the ground is playable now it is probably going to stay that way for most of the day, so nothing to inspect that might warrant a postponement.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:48 am

I think it quite likely the game will go ahead, because our pitch can normally take a lot of rain, and still be playable. The wind will be a problem, but whether it will be bad enough to be classed as dangerous for the safety of players and spectators I don’t know.
One thing for sure, I hope the Scunny fans are well prepared for bad weather, because it’s going to be rough in the open end 🌧🌧🌧

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:35 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 am
Darlobill wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I agree, I also think if it goes ahead it will have a bad affect on the attendance, as you're only going to get the diehard fans turn up for the game.
Were down to only the diehards anyways & even that's a struggle.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 am

If the pitch suddenly ;) developed an issue, I don't think many would mind. A postponement to another night could add possibly 300 plus to the gate.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:42 pm

What are the rules as regards the wind during a match, I seem to remember that if the ball would not stay still, say for a free kick penalty and the like, the referee could could say the conditions are unplayable and abandon it or call it off.
Mind you my memory is not what it was😀 Anyone?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:59 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:42 pm
What are the rules as regards the wind during a match, I seem to remember that if the ball would not stay still, say for a free kick penalty and the like, the referee could could say the conditions are unplayable and abandon it or call it off.
Doncaster away springs to mind and Converys wind assisted curling shot that flew in!
Also there was a home game v Gillingham back in the 80s where goal kicks were going straight back to the keeper who took it or out for a corner!
Both games finished but I think they are more strict with rules regarding playing conditions now. If its making the game a farce then it really shouldnt be played.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:12 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:59 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Doncaster away springs to mind and Converys wind assisted curling shot that flew in!
Also there was a home game v Gillingham back in the 80s where goal kicks were going straight back to the keeper who took it or out for a corner!
Both games finished but I think they are more strict with rules regarding playing conditions now. If its making the game a farce then it really shouldnt be played.
I was talking about that Doncaster match a couple of hours ago. It was ridiculous! At one point an advertising hoarding blew on the field of play in front of us and the match was temporarily stopped.

P.S. Loanstar, did you get time to do that little favour I asked of you? Thanks....
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:25 pm

There was a crazily wind affected second half against Bishop at Heritage Park in the Northern League. We couldn't keep the ball still for goalkicks which were then just blown back towards our goal. I recall their manager sticking two fingers up at the Darlo fans and shouting "wankers" when Bishop brought it back to 2-2. Those were the days :D

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:30 pm

Rain, snow, very hot, very cold - that's all okay, but high winds knacker football :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm

This might be a bit negative but a windy game could level things out and hamper the better team more than the other. That would be in our favour of course - every little helps and if Asante plays the ball might bump into him and confuse their keeper on the way in at a queer angle. I can't imagine him scoring any other way but it's time we got something from him.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:26 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
Not really any rules about it. There has got to be a legitimate or fabricated health and safety concern really.

If both clubs want it off and everyone agrees they all saw a pitch / conditions which are unplayable that is usually the best outcome. If both clubs want to play and it is safe to do so...carry on.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:33 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm
This might be a bit negative but a windy game could level things out and hamper the better team more than the other. That would be in our favour of course - every little helps and if Asante plays the ball might bump into him and confuse their keeper on the way in at a queer angle. I can't imagine him scoring any other way but it's time we got something from him.
I predict the said gentlemen may fail his fitness test!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:26 pm
loan_star wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
Not really any rules about it. There has got to be a legitimate or fabricated health and safety concern really.

If both clubs want it off and everyone agrees they all saw a pitch / conditions which are unplayable that is usually the best outcome. If both clubs want to play and it is safe to do so...carry on.

The bulbs have had their moments but I hope them floodlight pylons have passed the most rigorous of stress tests for when Jocelyn breezes into BM tonight :o

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:12 pm
loan_star wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
I was talking about that Doncaster match a couple of hours ago. It was ridiculous! At one point an advertising hoarding blew on the field of play in front of us and the match was temporarily stopped.

P.S. Loanstar, did you get time to do that little favour I asked of you? Thanks....
Yes I did, I'll chase it up if you want?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:38 pm
Yes I did, I'll chase it up if you want?
Yes please.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:15 pm

bga wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:33 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm
I predict the said gentlemen may fail his fitness test!
Very prescient. Is he on his way or something?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:24 pm

No Asante again WTF.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:No Asante again WTF.
Bloody Gowling wants shooting....what the hell was he thinking.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:28 pm

Is this game being streamed live? I've bought my pass and the game doesn't appear on the NLTV schedule?

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 pm

I believe the games been called off

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:37 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:28 pm
Is this game being streamed live? I've bought my pass and the game doesn't appear on the NLTV schedule?
It was in the schedule until we’ll after 7pm.
I too paid for a pass after I saw the team announced on social media.
I assumed that the announcement of the team meant it is definitely going ahead but, as for you, it has disappeared from the National league TV schedule

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:39 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:37 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:28 pm
It was in the schedule until we’ll after 7pm.
I too paid for a pass after I saw the team announced on social media.
I assumed that the announcement of the team meant it is definitely going ahead but, as for you, it has disappeared from the National league TV schedule
No refunds, as we pay for a pass to all games. Damn.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 pm

“Waterlogged pitch”?