Who next?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MB86DFC
Team Supported: Darlington

Who next?

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:25 pm

Assuming there is more than 23p left in the bank account after the payoffs and lost sponsorship money, who would you want?

For me, Steve Watson.

Ghost_Of_1883

Re: Who next?

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:37 pm

Steve Watson.

Some people keep going on about Adam Lakeland based on his time at "minnows" Curzon but the reality is that they have a budget similar to ours - and according to a Curzon fan on another forum, his brand of football was tedious.

As much as I'd have Alun Armstrong back, I think that sort of decision (to bring back a manager you just literally sacked 5 minutes ago) would make the club a laughing stock and put huge pressure on Wor Alun to justify it.

I'm kind of warming to Martin Gray again, as a long time has passed since Rajgate and the bucket rattling comments.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:39 pm

Would Steve Watson want the job? Would Martin Gray? They’re more than likely going to get a relegation on their CV. It’s a complete disaster.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:41 pm

I personally would not want Martin Gray back.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:44 pm

Martin Gray is local, passionate about the club and has a proven track record of success. He has been out of management for 5 years, but not living on another planet. He is a football man, through and through and can motivate players and get an extra 5% out of average players.
It would be a massive gamble, but if anyone can pull it off it is him. Don’t think we have much to lose if he can be tempted back.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:47 pm

5%. 😲
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:00 pm

I just feel there's a malaise that's been present in all of 23. I picked up on it during the summer, with the interviews during the BTB. Regardless of players or manager we can't seem to shift it. Reminiscent of Man Utd and what's happening there. Its like it's almost deeply rooted in the club and I don't know if and when it will change, is it driven by finance?????

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:01 pm

Loved MG’s contrary interview responses…
Week 1
Ray: ‘well Martin a 3-0 win. You must be delighted?’
MG ‘no not at all.’

Week 2
Ray: ‘well Martin a defeat today. You must be disappointed..?’
MG: ‘not at all I was delighted with the performance…..but one thing is clear this club needs investment…’

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:02 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:39 pm
Would Steve Watson want the job? Would Martin Gray? They’re more than likely going to get a relegation on their CV. It’s a complete disaster.
Well...

From the rumour mill - so take it all with a pinch of salt - Watson was in for the job last time, just we preferred JG, simple as that. Gray would come back and have a go at sorting this out - though I don't know if there is any interest from the club or if he has approached the club either.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:11 pm

We need a firefighter who can get a tune out of this squad. Other managers refer to how we are good on paper etc but something is clearly rotten and the rot set in last winter. It was negativity all the way from January and this continued over the summer, spilling into this season. Beck and Lambert rescued points even when the rest of the team were playing poorly. Without our two stars we stopped scoring at one end but continued to gift goals at the other end. We were great on our day but still easy to beat throughout AA’s tenure. Interesting days ahead…

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:12 pm

I think we have a guy already on our books who could motivate the players and the players will respond to him. He's got fight , determination,and never say die attitude. If will Hatfield is willing to step into the breach till the end of the season I think he would certainly give it a good go , just my take on it ,it would save some money that we don't have.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:16 pm

Fairly sure Hatfield is not interested in management at the moment.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:41 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:16 pm
Fairly sure Hatfield is not interested in management at the moment.
They asked him when AA left and he said ‘no’ due to work commitments in Leeds - sensible fella

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:15 pm

Don't want Gray back, after the way he left us, when he was sacked by the club.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:15 pm
Don't want Gray back, after the way he left us, when he was sacked by the club.
:crazy:

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:27 pm

Managers are desperate not to have a relegation on their CV, the job wasn’t an attractive one when JG got it, it’s even less attractive now. Watson was the calibre of manager I was calling for before but can we attract him in our position? Not convinced.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:31 pm

I can't believe Q that you want Gray back, after the way he left the club. Armstrong and Gray are not the answer. I'm sure Will Hatfield could be persuaded to be an assistant to whoever is appointed, in a player coach role.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:35 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:31 pm
I can't believe Q that you want Gray back, after the way he left the club. Armstrong and Gray are not the answer. I'm sure Will Hatfield could be persuaded to be an assistant to whoever is appointed, in a player coach role.
Not a good idea to tell a new manager, who his assistant is going to be. We don’t have the time for a new manager and assistant to get to know each other. They will need to hit the ground running.
Hatfield should be made captain.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:37 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:31 pm
I was rolling my eyes at your sentence which made no sense (we didn't sack him)

As for Hatfield, not sure why people think he would be a good assistant or temporary manager, and he's not interested in that sort of role yet. We need him back to his best and on the field.

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 pm

David Hodgson (Caretaker until the end of the season) with Will Hatfield as his assistant.
We urgently need someone who will get all of Darlo FC (players & fans) rapidly motivated and supportive.

The_Natural

Post by The_Natural » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:15 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:37 pm
Steve Watson.

Some people keep going on about Adam Lakeland based on his time at "minnows" Curzon but the reality is that they have a budget similar to ours - and according to a Curzon fan on another forum, his brand of football was tedious.

As much as I'd have Alun Armstrong back, I think that sort of decision (to bring back a manager you just literally sacked 5 minutes ago) would make the club a laughing stock and put huge pressure on Wor Alun to justify it.

I'm kind of warming to Martin Gray again, as a long time has passed since Rajgate and the bucket rattling comments.
Armstrong back ?

Seriously though

9 months of shite
Wasting biggest ever btb
Claimed constantly the budget didn’t allow him to compete inferring the team was shite and demotivating players
Missed being in the dug out for a game

And people want him back ? I suppose we are still paying him so could get him back to work but safer he stays away imo

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:37 am

The_Natural wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:15 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:37 pm
Steve Watson.

Armstrong back ? What did you ask for for Xmas a fleshlight of his arsehole?

Seriously though

9 months of shite
Wasting biggest ever btb
Claimed constantly the budget didn’t allow him to compete inferring the team was shite and demotivating players
Missed being in the dug out for a game

And people want him back ? I suppose we are still paying him so could get him back to work but safer he stays away imo
He should never have been sacked after 9 mainly tough matches and as far as I'm aware he hadn't spent all of the budget.

One thing is for sure, we replaced him with worse - as I said at the time to the growing mob trying to get him out of the club - be careful what you wish for.

Just look at all of the juicy home games we've had in the last 2 months, ripe for some much needed wins to drag us back into it...Gloucester, Blyth, King's Lynn, Warrington, Rushall, Bishop Stortford...6 potential home wins in 2 months, Gowling won none of those. Armstrong absolutely would have picked up a couple or 3 wins from that who's who of crap. What a massive opportunity wasted, and soon the fixtures get harder again.

Also, it's funny (well, not really) that you homed in on my mention of AA, when I also mentioned 3 other names and said that bringing AA back would make the club a laughing stock.

I think you need help.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:07 am

Can see why gowling was let go but it also begs the question of who would take the job on, steve watsons not had a bad record but does he want a relegation on his cv? Does not seem much of a pool of managers in the region at this level. Graeme lee could be available soon if marske go and i wonder if neil aspin would be intrested, if club goes down he at least knows the level below
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:32 am

Not even Sean Dyche is capable of saving us from relegation this season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:02 am

DARLODAH wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 pm
David Hodgson (Caretaker until the end of the season) with Will Hatfield as his assistant.
We urgently need someone who will get all of Darlo FC (players & fans) rapidly motivated and supportive.
Hodgy would be great, I agree that he'd have a fantastic effect on the team and fans. But I think even though he'd have a tremendous benefit to the team, I think relegation is almost a certainty.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:02 am
DARLODAH wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 pm
Hodgy would be great, I agree that he'd have a fantastic effect on the team and fans. But I think even though he'd have a tremendous benefit to the team, I think relegation is almost a certainty.
I'm not sure about this Pete. Many fans and players won't know who he is. He's been out of managing footy for maybe 20 years and never done it at this level.

I like Hodgie but to me he should remain in the past - like an old flame. ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:44 am

I don’t have a name, but, we need someone who the majority of fans can say, great, he can do the job , well done the board.
Immediately followed by a mini BTB with a decent target to give the new manager a chance .
This I believe is the only way we will avoid relegation.
We just need to get some belief and momentum going.
Who ever takes over, we have to get behind him , the team and our club .

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:54 am

To avoid relegation we basically need to match what Buxton/Blyth/Peterborough Sports have done in the first half of the season in the next 23 games.

That should be achievable if we get the appointment right.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:55 am

I was very unimpressed with the circumstances behind Gray's departure, however if he was offered a deal until the end of the season and he managed to pull us out of this mess - then I'd go with that.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:28 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:44 am
I don’t have a name, but, we need someone who the majority of fans can say, great, he can do the job , well done the board.
Immediately followed by a mini BTB with a decent target to give the new manager a chance .
This I believe is the only way we will avoid relegation.
We just need to get some belief and momentum going.
Who ever takes over, we have to get behind him , the team and our club .
I have a name and it begins with Martin and ends in Gray. What happened in the past needs to be forgiven and we need to wake up to the increasing reality of relegation. Even if he couldn’t stop us going down, at least we would go down fighting, and I believe he could restore some pride and belief in the players and the supporters. Desperate times call for brave and radical solutions.