Season 23/24

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Posts: 10973
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:34 am

Unless I am mistaken the only actual limits of the fan ownership model are basically spending what you can afford to spend.

Old Git
Posts: 3261
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:34 am
Unless I am mistaken the only actual limits of the fan ownership model are basically spending what you can afford to spend.
Correct.
Unfortunately for us the limits of what we can afford don’t seem to be enough for any further progression. We will have to accept that unless/until there is a change in our circumstances.

Nimrod
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by Nimrod » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:34 pm

Barnes signed a three year contract with York in June so unlikely he will be let go without there being a decent fee involved. He is seen as one for the future and so I think still features in plans for York

jjljks
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:35 am

What are the odds that the new manager at York will pull him back at end of his loan period leaving us back at square one?

AndyPark
Posts: 12155
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by AndyPark » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:15 am

jjljks wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:35 am
What are the odds that the new manager at York will pull him back at end of his loan period leaving us back at square one?
I think that’ll have happened regardless.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 2189
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:37 pm

I think its important that we get to the first round of the FA cup - this could save our season in terms of being able to bring in fresh legs. We need a striker with mobility to play with Nelson. I don't think it has to be someone huge, look at the striker Gloucester had, he was small in height, but was mobile. Hazel had a couple of big opportunities at the weekend and fluffed his lines. For me he is a backup striker.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Beano
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by Beano » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:24 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:37 pm
I think its important that we get to the first round of the FA cup - this could save our season in terms of being able to bring in fresh legs.
I'd love to see it but can't see how it will happen.

jjljks
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:24 am

I see that Wrexham's owners are bemoaning the cost of success with reported losses of £10million over the last 2 years. Ok we haven't been promoted but at least we remained in the black!

knoxy5000
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm

Is anyone going to actually be accountable for the decisions over the last year? I get most are volunteers, but that shouldn't hide the fact they have the power to make decisions, decisions that should be in the interests of shareholders aka fans. Which they are clearly getting wrong.

In dire form they hand AA a 2 year contract extension then dismiss him half a year later, does that mean we're still paying AA for the next 16 months or so? Money that's funded directly by fans. And now the dwindling income from lower gates down to lacklustre performances. They need to hold their hands up and admit their failures, DJ needs to take lead on that, he's the one steering the ship down the wrong route, into the rocks, ignoring the lighthouses and warning signs along the way.

JE93
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by JE93 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am

knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm
Is anyone going to actually be accountable for the decisions over the last year? I get most are volunteers, but that shouldn't hide the fact they have the power to make decisions, decisions that should be in the interests of shareholders aka fans. Which they are clearly getting wrong.

In dire form they hand AA a 2 year contract extension then dismiss him half a year later, does that mean we're still paying AA for the next 16 months or so? Money that's funded directly by fans. And now the dwindling income from lower gates down to lacklustre performances. They need to hold their hands up and admit their failures, DJ needs to take lead on that, he's the one steering the ship down the wrong route, into the rocks, ignoring the lighthouses and warning signs along the way.
What would you like their consequence to be? Genuinely?

We have the option to vote in board members and impact resolutions through the DFCSG. Who in turn vote and reflect the wishes of the clubs largest shareholder on the ultimate DFC board. There are annual elections to the DFCSG board of which you only need 2? nominations to be considered?

The board have held 2 fans forums in the last 4-6 weeks l. One with the board one with the Manager to try and be open and transparent and answer questions.

Aluns contract was signed in March? Which means it was negotiated in February. Not much time between him building and having a team perform well enough to take us top of the league. People would have been mouthing off had we got to the end of the season been in the playoffs and Alun nabbed on a free as we hadn't sorted his contract. I agree we should have parted ways at the end of last season. But in doing so this season we do not have to pay the remaining 16 months on his and Holloways contracts. This was confirmed at one of the forums. We have to pay a notice period as any other employer would.

To my memory DJ held his hands up during the forum and said he got the call on AA over the summer wrong. Anyone using hindsight to call out Gowling I don't think has ever been involved in and interview process on the employer side. Again its not to say people always get it right. But they interviewed. They picked their short list and then they picked the best candidate based on the process undertaken.

Again if you don't think they got it right, go back to para 2.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:27 am

JE93 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am
knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm
Is anyone going to actually be accountable for the decisions over the last year? I get most are volunteers, but that shouldn't hide the fact they have the power to make decisions, decisions that should be in the interests of shareholders aka fans. Which they are clearly getting wrong.


What would you like their consequence to be? Genuinely?

We have the option to vote in board members and impact resolutions through the DFCSG. Who in turn vote and reflect the wishes of the clubs largest shareholder on the ultimate DFC board. There are annual elections to the DFCSG board of which you only need 2? nominations to be considered?

They picked their short list and then they picked the best candidate based on the process undertaken.

As you brought it up

How many were "shortlisted" and how many were actually "interviewed"

JE93
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:17 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:27 am
JE93 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am
knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm
Is anyone going to actually be accountable for the decisions over the last year? I get most are volunteers, but that shouldn't hide the fact they have the power to make decisions, decisions that should be in the interests of shareholders aka fans. Which they are clearly getting wrong.


What would you like their consequence to be? Genuinely?

We have the option to vote in board members and impact resolutions through the DFCSG. Who in turn vote and reflect the wishes of the clubs largest shareholder on the ultimate DFC board. There are annual elections to the DFCSG board of which you only need 2? nominations to be considered?

They picked their short list and then they picked the best candidate based on the process undertaken.

As you brought it up

How many were "shortlisted" and how many were actually "interviewed"
If you're interested, I believe the answer is in DJs interview post appointment where he discusses the process.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:21 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:17 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:27 am
JE93 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am
knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm
Is anyone going to actually be accountable for the decisions over the last year? I get most are volunteers, but that shouldn't hide the fact they have the power to make decisions, decisions that should be in the interests of shareholders aka fans. Which they are clearly getting wrong.


What would you like their consequence to be? Genuinely?

We have the option to vote in board members and impact resolutions through the DFCSG. Who in turn vote and reflect the wishes of the clubs largest shareholder on the ultimate DFC board. There are annual elections to the DFCSG board of which you only need 2? nominations to be considered?

They picked their short list and then they picked the best candidate based on the process undertaken.

As you brought it up

How many were "shortlisted" and how many were actually "interviewed"
If you're interested, I believe the answer is in DJs interview post appointment where he discusses the process.
I must have missed it at the time and can't find it now. I can only find a throwaway "8 or 10 out of 35". Certainly does not answer my questions!!
Any chance of a link?
Last edited by EDJOHNS on Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndyPark
Posts: 12155
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by AndyPark » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:29 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:21 pm
I must have missed it at the time and can't find it now.
Any chance of a link?
https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/dj-we-w ... -impressed

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:36 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:29 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:21 pm
I must have missed it at the time and can't find it now.
Any chance of a link?
https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/dj-we-w ... -impressed
Yep, saw that 1 and no, it does not answer the questions I asked.

AndyPark
Posts: 12155
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by AndyPark » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:14 pm

Stick to the chippy Ted.

If you want something, find it yourself.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:34 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:14 pm
Stick to the chippy Ted.

If you want something, find it yourself.
That would be difficult as it does not exist.

JABWootton
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by JABWootton » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:26 pm

Julio Arca! Just been sacked at South Shields

knoxy5000
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:36 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am
knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 pm
Is anyone going to actually be accountable for the decisions over the last year? I get most are volunteers, but that shouldn't hide the fact they have the power to make decisions, decisions that should be in the interests of shareholders aka fans. Which they are clearly getting wrong.

In dire form they hand AA a 2 year contract extension then dismiss him half a year later, does that mean we're still paying AA for the next 16 months or so? Money that's funded directly by fans. And now the dwindling income from lower gates down to lacklustre performances. They need to hold their hands up and admit their failures, DJ needs to take lead on that, he's the one steering the ship down the wrong route, into the rocks, ignoring the lighthouses and warning signs along the way.
What would you like their consequence to be? Genuinely?

We have the option to vote in board members and impact resolutions through the DFCSG. Who in turn vote and reflect the wishes of the clubs largest shareholder on the ultimate DFC board. There are annual elections to the DFCSG board of which you only need 2? nominations to be considered?

The board have held 2 fans forums in the last 4-6 weeks l. One with the board one with the Manager to try and be open and transparent and answer questions.

Aluns contract was signed in March? Which means it was negotiated in February. Not much time between him building and having a team perform well enough to take us top of the league. People would have been mouthing off had we got to the end of the season been in the playoffs and Alun nabbed on a free as we hadn't sorted his contract. I agree we should have parted ways at the end of last season. But in doing so this season we do not have to pay the remaining 16 months on his and Holloways contracts. This was confirmed at one of the forums. We have to pay a notice period as any other employer would.

To my memory DJ held his hands up during the forum and said he got the call on AA over the summer wrong. Anyone using hindsight to call out Gowling I don't think has ever been involved in and interview process on the employer side. Again its not to say people always get it right. But they interviewed. They picked their short list and then they picked the best candidate based on the process undertaken.

Again if you don't think they got it right, go back to para 2.

He got the Gowling call wrong also, I have no faith that DJ is correct man for the job. That's my opinion. He's the one heading the ship, the buck ultimately stops with him. Watching his interview after Gowlings appointment shows how deluded he really is. There's isn't one indicator / kpi that I would say has improved under DJs tenure, so for me he can go, period. If you're a fan that thinks he's the best thing for DFC your delusion as him, look at where we are as a club now.

onewayup
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by onewayup » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:40 pm

Knoxky 500.
What the hell are you trying to do.you don't know s*** from clay

onewayup
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by onewayup » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 pm

Knoxy 500.
What the hell are you trying to do.you don't know s*** from clay.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 7137
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:36 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am
Anyone using hindsight to call out Gowling I don't think has ever been involved in and interview process on the employer side. Again it’s not to say people always get it right. But they interviewed. They picked their short list and then they picked the best candidate based on the process undertaken.
Except you don’t need hindsight to know that Gowling was a horrendous choice. In this day and age it’s very easy to find opinions or stuff out about a prospective candidate by using websites or social media. Using this would have said he was not rated at Hereford despite a trophy final appearance. Watson, who was an option at the time, has a far better record. How we ended up with him despite 30ish people applying is beyond belief.
We have changed managers 3 times now since Gray left and twice we have taken an option that to most was left field and didn’t work out. I’d be questioning the recruitment process.

jjljks
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:08 am

Turns out that Josh Gowling was our Liz Truss / Kwasi Kwarteng moment. Blew a load of dosh in some crazy beliefs like signing unfit players on big money which has damaged our future.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 pm
Knoxy 500.
What the hell are you trying to do.you don't know s*** from clay.
Maybe not, but he is not the only 1 starting to feel that way.
I keep reading that DJ is "Great" for the club. I simply don't see what that is based on.

Old Git
Posts: 3261
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:08 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 pm
Knoxy 500.
What the hell are you trying to do.you don't know s*** from clay.
Maybe not, but he is not the only 1 starting to feel that way.
I keep reading that DJ is "Great" for the club. I simply don't see what that is based on.
Based on the fact that he has steered the club through some difficult times in the last 6 or 7 years. He has kept us reasonably sound financially, and is trying to secure the long term future of the club, by acquiring to some land to develop our own stadium.
Of course some mistakes have been made along the way, but he and the Board are only human. If any serious outside investors come in then I am sure they will be listened to with interest. No sign of any as far as I know. Perhaps you have someone in mind Ed or is that Ted ?

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1627
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:41 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:08 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 pm
Knoxy 500.
What the hell are you trying to do.you don't know s*** from clay.
Maybe not, but he is not the only 1 starting to feel that way.
I keep reading that DJ is "Great" for the club. I simply don't see what that is based on.
Based on the fact that he has steered the club through some difficult times in the last 6 or 7 years. He has kept us reasonably sound financially, and is trying to secure the long term future of the club, by acquiring to some land to develop our own stadium.
Of course some mistakes have been made along the way, but he and the Board are only human. If any serious outside investors come in then I am sure they will be listened to with interest. No sign of any as far as I know. Perhaps you have someone in mind Ed or is that Ted ?

I don't want investors. All lower-league and non-league clubs should be fan-owned.
I was simply told a couple of things by someone who was asked to apply for the manager's post when Gowling got the job which left me disillusioned with DJ.

jjljks
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season 23/24

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:19 pm

You know things are bad when even the Lib Dems recognise DFC needs its own ground!🤫

Post Reply