Darlington V Southport FA Cup

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport FA Cup

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:45 pm

Didn't somebody say we merge regions at the next stage?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:50 pm

All about getting through to the next round today, as mentioned we didn't totally get going today but managed a 3-2 win.

Some interesting possible ties, someone not in our division please, at home if possible. Bury would be good if they can get past Lancaster, decent team but NWCFL Premier division and we should be able to get through.

Anyhow no doubt Chester away as we are away to Chester on the 8th Oct as well.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:17 pm

tdk1 wrote:Didn't somebody say we merge regions at the next stage?
I’m basing it on last season, where the regionalisation stayed the same in 3QR.

It was in the 4th qualifying round that the North and Midlands merge.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:19 pm

Do we know when the draw takes place? I am guessing with what else is happening in the world on Monday it may not be the usual time.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:32 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:04 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:53 pm
We probably started the game with too many changes in midfield and we looked disjointed and laboured. Purver sitting in front of the back four and Moke in the engine room should be a given unless they are injured or completely desperate for a break. Hard work against ten men but we took advantage as they visibly tired and the most important thing is we're in the hat. Not a smooth ride but job done in the end.
I can understand AA wanting to give a rest to Purver and Moke as they have played every game so far. Unfortunately, Rose looked off the pace, but hardly a big surprise given how little he has played. Liddle is yet to impress but again may need more game time and Barbosa I thought did OK but will need to settle in. We got away with it but expect to see Moke and Purver back next week and hopefully Wheater. On the plus side we avoided a tricky midweek away trip to Southport, while Peterborough Sports have to replay.
Probably my fading memory but I can’t recall the last hat trick for a Darlo player. When was it last done?
The last time we witnessed a hat trick at home was way back in March 2015 when Adam Mitchell scored 3 against Prescott Cables.
A long time in coming

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:42 pm

Old Git wrote:Do we know when the draw takes place? I am guessing with what else is happening in the world on Monday it may not be the usual time.
Gets published at 1pm on Tuesday.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:53 pm

It could be they do merge regions in the next round. In 19-20 Walsall season we were drawn against Leamington or Chasetown in the 3rd Qr.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:15 pm

Red card looks harsh - somebody else will know better than me but I thought you only get a red for dogso when a penalty is awarded now when it's considered intentional?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:18 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:15 pm
Red card looks harsh - somebody else will know better than me but I thought you only get a red for dogso when a penalty is awarded now when it's considered intentional?
If it's a genuine attempt to play the ball then it's a yellow card - generally speaking if it's an upper body foul then it's still a red card.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:29 pm

Hard to see in the footage, but what do you think about that one today? I assumed he'd clipped Felix's heel accidentally while running across the back of him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:45 pm

None of their players seemed to object to the red card, so I thought it must have been a fair decision. I guess AA will have given them a rocket at half-time, as we were a completely different side after the break.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 pm

One of those that's a bit harsh on the defender because Felix cuts across him and gets his ankle clipped accidentally, but that's still a foul and as no attempt was made to get the ball it has to be a red card no ifs no buts. The defender doesn't really make any effort to plead his innocence either.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:27 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:07 pm
One of those that's a bit harsh on the defender because Felix cuts across him and gets his ankle clipped accidentally, but that's still a foul and as no attempt was made to get the ball it has to be a red card no ifs no buts.
This basically.

Darlogramps

Darlington V Southport FA Cup

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:43 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:It could be they do merge regions in the next round. In 19-20 Walsall season we were drawn against Leamington or Chasetown in the 3rd Qr.
Potentially, but that’s not what happened last season. I have a feeling they changed things post-Covid to reduce travelling costs. This was the 3QR draw last season, with a fairly clear North/Midlands divide.

1 Radcliffe vs Morpeth Town
2 Atherton Collieries vs Marine
3 Pontefract Collieries vs Handsworth
4 Marske United vs Darlington OR Chester
5 City of Liverpool vs Buxton
6 Curzon Ashton vs Cleethorpes Town
7 Runcorn Linnets vs Gateshead
8 York City vs Whitby Town
9 Guiseley AFC vs Blyth Spartans OR FC United of Manchester
10 AFC Fylde OR Spennymoor vs Chorley OR Southport

11 Ware OR Hemel Hempstead Town vs Kidderminster Harriers
12 Stamford AFC vs Norwich United
13 Boston United vs East Thurrock United OR Needham Market
14 Leamington vs Spalding OR Kettering
15 Kings Langley OR Leiston vs Tamworth
16 Stratford Town vs Long Eaton United
17 AFC Sudbury OR Stowmarket vs Cheshunt
18 Hanley Town vs Brackley Town
19 AFC Dunstable vs Peterborough Sports
20 Chelmsford City vs Enfield Town OR Hadley
21 Bromsgrove Sporting vs Welwyn Garden City
22 Basford United vs Banbury United
23 Merstham vs Lymington OR Hereford

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Another good win despite another patchy performance, I agree than we aren’t playing amazingly well but we are getting the results and that creates a winning mentality etc, & mark beck what can we say👏 outstanding and sshhh

Preseason on here some were saying Cassidy was better or on a par with Beck😂

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:24 am

It was great to see a Darlo goal scored from a corner routine :clap: Something which has been missing for ages.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:22 am

Cassidy/ Beck, so Beck has 9 in 9, how many has Cassidy got so far? Anyone

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:46 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:48 pm
See Spendymore, got beat by Clithero , can’t see the terrible twins lasting much longer 😀
They can concentrate on the league now.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:44 pm

A positive to take from yesterday's game is that Darlington fc players didn't lose heart they played very poorly first half but came out and improved the second half to take control for long periods, although southport were a handful with 10 men ,thankfully we have mark beck who sealed the game for 3 points, I believe to challenge for a top spot we have to start better against other teams ,

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:06 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:44 pm
A positive to take from yesterday's game is that Darlington fc players didn't lose heart they played very poorly first half but came out and improved the second half to take control for long periods, although southport were a handful with 10 men ,thankfully we have mark beck who sealed the game for 3 points, I believe to challenge for a top spot we have to start better against other teams ,
Wow!.Through to the next round of the cup AND 3 points.Really was a good day then. :thumbup:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:06 pm

Slipped up there did i not. Where the 3 points are coming from I just don't know.ha.ha.yes it was a cup game.no points for a win in cup

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:13 pm

Never mind Beck, without Jack Lambert we lose that game. Only player who seems able to make anything happen. Think we got away with one there. For long periods it was hard to see they had 10 men. Hedley must have been delighted when their 14 went off, he had him on toast. Imagine how many goals Beck would score with their delivery into the box. Really need to improve our crossing. But another result we ground out - a good habit to get into.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm

Just watched highlights and didn’t really realise how our defence was all at sea for so much of the game. Both fullbacks were poor and would be interested to see how many of our goals conceded this season come from crosses into the box, we just can’t defend them. Same last year to be fair. Seen comments about Southports keeper but Taylor was in no man’s land too a number of times. Think he’s been great for us but given his physicality would like to see him dominate more with these crosses. Wheater certainly a miss.
Would love to see Hazel get a couple of goals as it’s obvious his confidence needs a boost. He gets into some great positions and should have scored at least 2 yesterday. If he can start scoring too we could have the equivalent of Gatesheads front two last season.
Still playing badly and winning is a really good sign and a bit unusual for Darlo!

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:07 pm

The problem for both our full backs is that they get very little support. The 2nd goal aside Hedley was decent yesterday against a very good winger.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:22 pm

Although yesterday was very different, I would say that we’ve been pretty strong defensively this season with teams creating very few chances against us.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:28 pm

Don't agree with that. I thought both fullbacks were very poor. For me Hedley was ran ragged. In my opinion it was his poorest performance for a couple of years.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:44 pm

In the highlights alone Hedley broke up play even against Southports best player on the day, so to say it was his worst game in a couple of years is a bit harsh. As I said in my earlier post, our full backs are getting little support from others on the team. When we go forward our wingers are doubled up on every time, that’s rarely the case for us.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:39 am

Watched the highlights. Certainly not a classic from a darlo point of view.

Both goals conceded weren't great. Failure to get first contact at the corner for the first. Have seen a few blaming Taylor for this, but looks too congested for him to come out for me. The second Griffiths gets caught square to his man and cant move enough to challenge the first header. Added to that a few dicey moments letting them get down our flanks too easily and not doing enough on first contacts in our box. Credit to southport they look like they worked tirelessly and it was probably quite tough on them to not get a replay.

At the right end. Ive seen plenty of southport fans questioning the penalty and red card, but if you slow the highlights it clearly shows the defenders knee hit Felix heel as he cuts across him. Its a penalty all day and unfortunately the rules say what they say re not making a genuine attempt for the ball (even though he didnt attempt to foul him either) the fact he doesnt argue tells you most in that situation. From then it was the Mark Beck show assisted by some really awful goalkeeping. Keeper surely could have caught the second and spooned Lamberts shot into danger for the 3rd. But you need someone to be on the spot to take those chances and there Beck was. Hazel was unlucky with his effort which hit the post, think hes still getting used to the slightly wider role but hes getting chances and i think it will click sooner rather than later.

Not a great performance but don't think our flow was helped by the change of all 3 midfielders. Especially Lambert. He is the something different of all our midfielders and the creative spark in our 3. Without him Purver, Liddle, Moke, Rose & Barbosa are all a bit similar. Hopefully getting Maddison fit again can give us a few more options to rest Lambert through the season.

But overall we did what we needed to do, its nice to talk about us getting results while we're not playing well for once. Through to the next round. Prize money in the bank. Ashington at home in the next round please when the draw is published on Tuesday.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:49 pm

There are some funny takes on this thread.

The performance was far from a classic, but we scored 3 goals, hit the post, Beck had a header well saved and Hazel had a couple of openings. All whilst limiting Southport chances wise. Their goals aside, I am really struggling to think of any other chances which they created across the full game? How many shots did they have on target? 3?

Hedley got done far too easily for their second, Griffiths was not much better at the back post after we recovered well to get bodies back in the box. This happens, other than that, Hedley was really solid. He pushed forward a lot in the second half to support Lambert and that left space in behind, but at this stage even by Alun's own admission we were 4-2-4 attempting to avoid the replay.

At times it was a bit flat, but Southport battled really hard. We didn't play hugely well, but still scored another 3 goals. The amount of moaning on this thread is beyond belief.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:58 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:49 pm
There are some funny takes on this thread.

The performance was far from a classic, but we scored 3 goals, hit the post, Beck had a header well saved and Hazel had a couple of openings. All whilst limiting Southport chances wise. Their goals aside, I am really struggling to think of any other chances which they created across the full game? How many shots did they have on target? 3?

Hedley got done far too easily for their second, Griffiths was not much better at the back post after we recovered well to get bodies back in the box. This happens, other than that, Hedley was really solid. He pushed forward a lot in the second half to support Lambert and that left space in behind, but at this stage even by Alun's own admission we were 4-2-4 attempting to avoid the replay.

At times it was a bit flat, but Southport battled really hard. We didn't play hugely well, but still scored another 3 goals. The amount of moaning on this thread is beyond belief.
Says you moaning g about the moaners.
Hedley did get done far to easily for their 2nd goal and also lost his man for their 1st goal. He was the guy who scored it.. you say he pushed up forward for the 2nd half.Well who was supposed to be the four at the back when we went 4 2 4. Hedkey was caught out of position way too often..
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Hedley basher, I am just saying it as it was from my point of view.
Hedley was my player of the year last season..