Darlington v Hereford Saturday 9th October 2021

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford Saturday 9th October 2021

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:05 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:41 am
Can`t see how our crowds will suffer at all it`s not as if you will be able to turn up and get in most will need a season ticket or if available ticket in advance.
You are quite correct that fans attending the games will need season tickets but in addition a successful Newcastle team will attract lots of young fans who identify themselves with the club. Even if they can’t attend games they will watch them on Sky TV and buy merchandise and claim to be supporters of the club.
Some of these youngsters may have become Darlo fans if there was less glamour in supporting the Geordies. Look this is a constant problem for smaller clubs all over the country and we will have to accept it but I want to see kids in Darlington wearing black and white hoops not stripes.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 pm
LoidLucan wrote:The Pride are claiming 1,554 today... mind they do include every season ticket holder as having attended (whether they do or not) including the many free season tickets they give away as well as any random who happens to be passing by within a 5 mile radius of the ground.
Think it’s fair to say you’ve well and truly rattled dear old Spen. Relentless posting about us Twitter with screenshots and now he’s chomping on here too. He’s like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Unhinged, psychopathic levels of obsession.

Nice of him to take such an interest in us though, given he posts more about us than the club he claims to support (but never goes to see).
He's never recovered from his seven-figure mauling :D

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Now the Saudis have done the deal, Mags can just afford Charman. We should be able to fund a new decent stadium of our own on the £100M fee!😉
Imagine how many he could score with St. Maximin alongside

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:34 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm
I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong end of the stick upthread, q4l.

I think 'Old Git' - or rather TKOA - was suggesting that four years was very much within the foreseeable future and that there was every chance the Toon could be winning trophies by that time. Given that Sheikh Mansour's wealth is pretty much pocket change to MBS, I think she or he could be right.

P.S. 'Entertainaz' made me laugh out loud :lol:
I suppose the difference now is that they also have City to compete with financially. And others. PSG weren't quids in when Man City were taken over either. City benefited by being, apart from Chelsea, the only other club to be loaded in such a way. So it may well not be as rapid or automatic.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 pm

This is true. If every club in the premier League ends up in the hands of a billionaire owner, it's not going to turn Jeff schlupp into maradona is it?

The truly Newcastle thing to do would be to become the richest club on earth, sign Messi, and still end up getting relegated to league one. If they do anything else then they have truly lost their soul.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:03 am

I mean, there are about 6-8 rich clubs now in the UK. My biggest concern is that we are basically on a path to a super league by proxy. Those 6-8 clubs are so wildly rich compared to even other Premier League sides... so how do the others compete in future?

The precedent has been set now, so what's to stop billionaires just completely warping the top flight into a super league? Not a lot, really. Glad I'm a Darlo fan, but I have a suspicion one day we won't be playing in the same pyramid as Newcastle, and maybe that will be a good thing.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:31 am

I don’t have much interest in the Premier League, our top league has changed so much over the years and now has more to do with money than English football.

At least we have choice though…
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!