RIP Martin Burleigh

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

RIP Martin Burleigh

Post by Old Git » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Sorry to see the news that our former keeper Martin Burleigh has passed away at the age of just 71. A larger than life character in all senses of the word he certainly was a big lad between the sticks. Don’t know what the nutritionists involved in today’s game would have made of him because he certainly did look like he had eaten all the pies!
Having said that he was remarkably agile and I am sure fondly remembered by our fans of the 1970s. Condolences to his family and friends and certainly remembered as a real character who was a big presence on and off the pitch.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: RIP Martin Burleigh

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Invariably known as Burly he was part of a middling team of likable lads as I remember - Lyons, Nattrass et Al who might have done better but I think he kept us in a few games and had a good rapport with the fans. Just the kind of player you want in a lower League team.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:21 pm
Invariably known as Burly he was part of a middling team of likable lads as I remember - Lyons, Nattrass et Al who might have done better but I think he kept us in a few games and had a good rapport with the fans. Just the kind of player you want in a lower League team.
That entire period was 1 of sides that had some good players who should have done better but always managed to end up nearer the bottom than the top of the league.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:27 pm

Sad to see the passing of another in our long line of characters who could be magic between the posts. We were spoiled for good keepers :clap:

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:22 am

Martin was keeper when I first got hooked in my early teens.
Always felt more confident with him in goal.

:clap: