Darlo v York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:12 pm

The York fans I spoke to said they don't rate him and the way the team plays with him in the side. They also don't like Watson and they don't like the chairman either. It was quite an uplifting conversation really :D

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Happy to explain what we have access to and how we viewed the incident.

Firstly, we are now sat in the back row of the seats, so don’t have as good a view as we used to have. Nonetheless, I think we had a reasonable view of this incident, albeit not from very close.

Everybody has seen and heard our commentary enough now to understand that whilst we no doubt have a natural bias - let’s be honest, we all do - we are always striving to be objective too.

The Cooper tackle looked like a block from where we were, there didn’t seem to be any “brutality or excessive force” as the law requires for a red card. In truth, it looked like a foul and a possible yellow card as we said at the time. This was our view, the view of everyone around us, and the view from the York media team too who were with us. I can honestly say that it just looked a nothing incident in real time from where we were sat.

We looked at a replay from the main camera on the balcony a few seconds later and this also looked the same as we had initially seen. I don’t think we would have wanted to be as critical of the decision without this second perspective as there’s always a risk of being wrong from that far away. I haven’t yet read anyone who thinks it looks like a red card from either of these viewpoints.

We looked again at half time and showed the lads from York’s media team and again they agreed it looked a “soft” decision. You can hear them say that to Steve Watson in his PMI.

The only angle that makes the decision look even remotely justifiable is the one from the tin shed. This camera is around 75 yards away and makes Copper’s challenge look more like a stamping than it did in real time, or from the main (much closer) camera that we had access too. We did not have access to this angle on match day at all.

So there you go. That’s how we got to where we got to on commentary. After about 100 looks at the balcony replay on Saturday night I was extremely comfortable with how we covered it. Being honest, I was quite relieved as I knew we’d been quite clear on it. Having seen the additional replay from the tin shed, I can see how the referee could have seen it differently and we would have been less critical of the decision had we have seen this.

The law is clear, the challenge must include excessive force or brutality or endanger the safety of an opponent. Certainly from the initial views we had this did not appear to be the case (to anyone, not just to us)

So that’s what we could see and why we commented on it the way we did. You can rest assured that when you listen to us we’re applying as much rigour as we can to giving the correct and accurate description of all the incidents that unfold using the information and viewpoints that we have available to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm

I think that had the ref produced a yellow card no-one would have been calling it a disgraceful decision and how we got away with one (and I include both sets of fans, the media and the York management in that). I don't even think it would have been mentioned by anyone after the game. The reason it is being talked about so much is because it seemed a harsh decision and out of kilter with what you would normally expect in that kind of incident.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm

In the view from the tin shed it looks like his knee does jolt sideways as Cooper's foot comes across him, so you can certainly see the case for the red. I was very surprised on the day.

Not sure how anyone can argue with the penalty to be honest. Felt for purver, as he had only just moved to centre half and played very well there for the rest of the game, but it looked a clear foul to me.

Big, big game on Saturday now. We absolutely can't give Telford a head start as we have in every other home game this season. If we do you'd have to ask whether any lessons are actually being learned from the problems we've had so far this season.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I appreciate your full and honest explanation of the commentary but even with countless sky or bbc cameras their professional, highly experienced and full time commentators get it wrong. You're commentating on what you see and rightly hardly ever receive criticism. You're a lifeline to fans like me and much appreciated. Keep up the good work and thank you

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:49 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm
In the view from the tin shed it looks like his knee does jolt sideways as Cooper's foot comes across him, so you can certainly see the case for the red. I was very surprised on the day.

Not sure how anyone can argue with the penalty to be honest. Felt for purver, as he had only just moved to centre half and played very well there for the rest of the game, but it looked a clear foul to me.

Big, big game on Saturday now. We absolutely can't give Telford a head start as we have in every other home game this season. If we do you'd have to ask whether any lessons are actually being learned from the problems we've had so far this season.
Just been reading that both of Telford's first choice central defenders, Nathan Pond and Zak Lilly, are suspended on Saturday. Could be an interesting one defensively on both sides. I'm going for a 4-4 draw :D

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:59 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am
spen666 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am
H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am
Those highlights sort of vindicated my judgment I reckon. It's a red card for me, but the penalty is incredibly generous as Beck is doing every bit as much leaning back into the player (and he has his arms wrapped around the defender... how he continually is allowed to do this, I do not know).

The only thing with the challenge is you can maybe argue it's an honest attempt that he gets wrong, but when you're going in that high, I'd argue you probably deserve it. I do generally agree with the sentiment that on a lot of occasions, that challenge would go unpunished or receive a yellow at this level, and inconsistency is part of the problem.
Can't disagree with this, Beck clearly is going back into the defender, but the defender was a bit naïve and made it easy for the referee to give a penalty by having his right arm around Beck's chest. If it wasn't for the arm around the chest, I think the foul would have been given the other way.

the referee looking at this would see more easily the defenders arm around Beck, then any holding by Beck given the angles of the players , the ball and the referee
You'd think that, but he gave one foul against him for doing it the entire game. It really was quite shambolic as it was blatant. I also don't really see *why* Beck needs to do that, as he has a size advantage against most anyway. Part of me wonders if this is how he has ended up playing at this level again because on ability alone he should be in the football league, but I wonder if league referees are a bit savvier to this behaviour.

You ( and I) would however be delighted if it were a striker for the team we follow striker(s) were winning penalties this was and praising him winning penalties.

it happens at all football That doesn't make it right. Alan Shearer used to be a master at it

remember - opposition players "cheat" when they go down easily, but players for the side you follow are "clever" when they go down and win a penalty

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 pm

It looked like a penalty to me and seeing it on the replay doesn't change my mind much but the frustrating thing for me was that kind of physicality was going on throughout the game all over the pitch and was hardly ever given as a foul. Sods law he decides to give this one. Irritates the hell out of me that the location on the pitch seems to affect what is and isn't a foul.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm
The reason it is being talked about so much is because it seemed a harsh decision and out of kilter with what you would normally expect in that kind of incident.
Its a key match decision - that is why it is being discussed. Red card, penalties and offside judgements resulting in goals / ruling them out will always be talked about. You are right a caution is mostly forgettable.

I don't think I've ever know a case where a penalty / red card has been awarded and there isn't someone from the team it goes against saying it is incorrect.

What is quite apparent is how much angles change perspective.

yogizop

Post by yogizop » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:54 pm

That referee was absolutely shocking. Spoilt the game.