Blyth v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

StevieMardenboro
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth v Darlo

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Just listened to Armstrong’s interview. I don’t think a manager should call out individuals quite so harshly. Can’t see how it helps and it feels like he is trying to disown his own team.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:22 pm

While I get AA's frustration at the way we gift-wrapped them a two-goal lead, I must admit I would have been more inclined to highlight the positives of the way the players hauled us back into the game. Hopefully we will soon get to a place where we don't have to score three or four goals to win a game.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 am

just watch the goals, I wasn't at the game. Yes there was a lack of desire at attacking the ball and it all looked too easy from Blyth's point of view, but it was not as bad as I was expecting. In terms of Lexus I don't think he was in any way to blame for either of the goal, but maybe he was not defending in the right area. It's quite clear we are lacking confidence and you concede soft goals like this when confidence is low.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:56 am

I don’t mind him being honest and fairly blunt in his assessment of the team in post match interviews. He simply says what we as fans have witnessed and already worked out for ourselves in most cases.
The problem for him is if he keeps making similar comments after every game it begs the question What is he doing to sort it out ? If players are not carrying out in matches what they are doing in training it doesn’t bode well for him. These are his players and if they aren’t capable of doing what is required it really leaves him in a difficult position. Hopefully Saturday was a first step in the right direction and the players are beginning to gel into a team.
I would suggest that we have seen the last of a 5 at the back formation after the disastrous 1st half performance at Blyth and l expect he will revert to a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 in future.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 am

Having watched the highlights, again you can't be happy at the goals we conceded. The first I'm not really sure what Purver is doing or what his role is, he either has to be taking responsibility for trying to block the cross as the first man or drop back further and get infront of O'Donnell with Griffiths behind him. Neither Purver or Griffiths are really doing anything and neither are tight to O'Donnell who directs his header well, but he was under barely any pressure. For the Second one Storey actually spots the danger of the man making the late run into the box, at that point he has to be screaming at either Cooper to push out onto him, or Purver to follow him in from midfield. In the end we do neither and again their lad has a free header from 10-12 yards out.

On the brighter side, Charman scored another good goal to follow up his powerful header last weekend and I think like everyone you've got to be delighted for Andrew Nelson coming on and getting his goal, will do his confidence and mood the world of good which you can see in the interview after the game.

Onto Brackley now and agree with what those say above, I was glad we gave 5 at the back a go but it didn't work and if we looked more solid 2nd half playing 4 at the back and that gave us more weapons in attack then we should be changing to a flat back 4 again.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:07 am

JE93 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 am
Having watched the highlights, again you can't be happy at the goals we conceded. The first I'm not really sure what Purver is doing or what his role is, he either has to be taking responsibility for trying to block the cross as the first man or drop back further and get infront of O'Donnell with Griffiths behind him. Neither Purver or Griffiths are really doing anything and neither are tight to O'Donnell who directs his header well, but he was under barely any pressure. For the Second one Storey actually spots the danger of the man making the late run into the box, at that point he has to be screaming at either Cooper to push out onto him, or Purver to follow him in from midfield. In the end we do neither and again their lad has a free header from 10-12 yards out.

On the brighter side, Charman scored another good goal to follow up his powerful header last weekend and I think like everyone you've got to be delighted for Andrew Nelson coming on and getting his goal, will do his confidence and mood the world of good which you can see in the interview after the game.

Onto Brackley now and agree with what those say above, I was glad we gave 5 at the back a go but it didn't work and if we looked more solid 2nd half playing 4 at the back and that gave us more weapons in attack then we should be changing to a flat back 4 again.
Defence not great but midfield not helping Wheatley not fully up and running and Purver yet to stamp his authority when Hatfield further forward, I cannot thankfully see brandon Taylor getting back in the team ahead of Cooper or Hedley and if a more experienced CB does arrive then cut our loses and swap Taylor for an upcoming Crook or Whitby CB.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:11 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:07 am
JE93 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 am

Defence not great but midfield not helping Wheatley not fully up and running and Purver yet to stamp his authority when Hatfield further forward, I cannot thankfully see brandon Taylor getting back in the team ahead of Cooper or Hedley and if a more experienced CB does arrive then cut our loses and swap Taylor for an upcoming Crook or Whitby CB.
I think we need to ship out Taylor and Lexus out on loan to get some game time - at the minute the jury is out and we cannot risk putting them in while we are at the bottom of the league.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:18 pm
Just listened to Armstrong’s interview. I don’t think a manager should call out individuals quite so harshly. Can’t see how it helps and it feels like he is trying to disown his own team.
I find this quite funny but not a dig at you in particular. The point is our own "fans" were singing "we're f**king s***e" after the second goal went in yet we have other people saying AA shouldn't be harsh on players in his interviews. I even heard one or two saying how bad Cooper was in the first half for some reason, yet it was Beeden who was the weak link in that line up. Spent half the time he was on the pitch with his hands on his knees and looked very lethargic.
First half I thought we were ok going forward although the final ball wasnt up to scratch quite often, defensively awful as a unit though. Second half we were far the better side and could probably have won the game.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am
StevieMardenboro wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:18 pm
I find this quite funny but not a dig at you in particular. The point is our own "fans" were singing "we're f**king s***e" after the second goal went in yet we have other people saying AA shouldn't be harsh on players in his interviews. I even heard one or two saying how bad Cooper was in the first half for some reason, yet it was Beeden who was the weak link in that line up. Spent half the time he was on the pitch with his hands on his knees and looked very lethargic.
First half I thought we were ok going forward although the final ball wasnt up to scratch quite often, defensively awful as a unit though. Second half we were far the better side and could probably have won the game.
For me a manager giving players some in a PMI is healthy. Obviously there are degrees and examples where people have taken it too far (Jose on Luke Shaw being a rather perfect example). With Storey we all know how good he can be, and that he can give top MOM level performances. I think the problem is that we haven't seen him develop since he came in, he has all the skills the bit that he's really missing is the bulk and the voice that stop him being a really good CB for this level. I think AA has just pointed this out, we know the level he can play and this season he hasn't reached that level.

As for tbe points above. I think a NL loan would be good for Beeden somewhere he can get match fit and where not every mistake will be exploited which is what it feels like atm, although that 9bviously can't happen atm with our lack of numbers at the back. Taylor its hard to say so early on but is he really a CB? from the highlights v Curzon especially he just got bullied. Truth is if he's a RB we really don't need him we have Griffiths and very capable cover in Hedley. Is that money better utilised in perhaps offering a bit more and making sure we secure a big nasty CB that has so far been elusive.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:13 pm

I know some will accuse me of making judgements without giving players time to prove themselves but I have to say I really don’t think Brandon Taylor looks like a central defender. Occasionally you can get a central defender who is not really tall but reads the game very well and can be effective. Craig Liddle springs to mind as one such player but generally speaking you want a couple of big lads in there. It looks like he may have been a bit of a panic signing on the eve of the season due to how weak we looked in defence preseason.
Similarly Lexus has not had much game time and although he has the physique he seems totally out of his depth in NLN. To me he is slow and does not read the game well enough and therefore gets caught out time and again.
In summary I think AA looks like he has made 2 poor signings and this has put us in trouble. Moving them on may be difficult as they will be on decent terms and may not be willing to drop down to a lower level for less money. Loaning them out would give them some game time and might toughen them up a bit and they may eventually improve and prove me wrong.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Curious as to how you know what terms both are on given nothing has even been made public

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:11 pm

divas wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm
Curious as to how you know what terms both are on given nothing has even been made public
A reasonable assumption that we will be paying more than most teams in leagues below our level. I don’t see other NLN teams being interested in either of them on the basis of their performances for us.