Whitby Town v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker85
Team Supported: Darlington

Whitby Town v Darlington

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:27 am

Whitby are selling tickets online for this game. Not heard anything about it being all ticket. Anyone know if it is?

Spyman

Re: Whitby Town v Darlington

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:16 pm

I see Bradley Fewster is on the bench for them, along with Jonny Burn.

Big things were expected of Fewster a few years ago were they not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:23 pm

Sounds a bit feisty at times on the commentary.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 pm

2-1 defeat not the result we were looking for. Sounds like we wasted plenty of chances again and the defence is hardly watertight at the moment. No time to panic and a win against Telford next Saturday is what it is all about.
Perhaps a winless preseason has dampened down expectations a little which is no bad thing and a win next Saturday will be all the sweeter. Certainly hope so.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:24 pm

First half we had a number of good chances, and were the better team playing some nice football at times, but again unable to take them chances, second half we were second best and overall thought Whitby deserved the win.
I thought this would be a good test for the lads, they are a big physical side who can play football a bit, and as with harrogate we could not live with it for 90mins. Unfortunately most of the teams in our league will be big, physical and can play a bit so think we will struggle and possibly be lower half of the table, certainly in the early part of the season. Will be interesting to see what AA has to say regarding the game.
Even if new players come in they wont have time to gel with the rest of the team for a few weeks, but it is a long season so things may change.
Saying all that there are some good prospects in the team for future years if we can hold onto them.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:49 pm

We seem to very undercooked this preseason and no real depth to the squad is a little bit disconcerting. I said back in June that I wasn't too sure about the recruitment tactics and whether or not those brought in were of at similar quality to those who moved on, I feel vindicated at the moment to remain concerned if our expectations were to remain a club challenging for the playoffs.

At the moment it feels a lot like this season in terms of quality are back to the days of TW. Unless AA can make some notable signings this week and bolster the starting 11, I can't see us getting anywhere near the playoffs.

Do we have to realign our expectations and is that acceptable? :think:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 pm
2-1 defeat not the result we were looking for. Sounds like we wasted plenty of chances again and the defence is hardly watertight at the moment. No time to panic and a win against Telford next Saturday is what it is all about.
Perhaps a winless preseason has dampened down expectations a little which is no bad thing and a win next Saturday will be all the sweeter. Certainly hope so.
How are we going to beat Telford? You see, you can't win matches when you don't score goals, and you can't even draw 0-0 if you concede sloppy goals all of the time.

The league is getting stronger, and we certainly look weaker on paper so far, could be bottom half struggle.

Obviously AA knows we need an experienced commanding centre half (at least), and proven goal scorer - but the failure to sign either makes me wonder if anybody else wants to sign for us.

Letting the likes of Nicky Hunt go but then not replacing with equal or better may come to bite us. Not that I'm writing Beeden off, just with his age and inexperience I think he might need an experienced partner

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:17 pm

But Lexus beedon is a teenager and has a lot to learn he's big and strong i think with a quality player alongside him he will grow .
Let's give alun the benefit of doubt for now and judge after a number of league games.
Don't write off the season before it's begun. Be optimistic for now.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:16 pm
I see Bradley Fewster is on the bench for them, along with Jonny Burn.

Big things were expected of Fewster a few years ago were they not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
think he had a bad injury that knocked him back

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Difficult to be optimistic after witnessing that insipid performance. The first half wasn’t bad and we certainly started off well getting balls into the box from wide positions but failed to take three good chances we created. Sucker punch caught out by a ball over the top. Deservedly got a goal back and all square at half time.

The second half was a different story. Whitby looked a well drilled side with a big target man the focal point of their attacks. He took both goals really well.

We had too many square pegs in round holes. Players filling in not entirely sure what their roles were. One of the locals asked me if that was our first choice keeper. He was surprised to learn he was. No communication between him and the two centre halves was his observation.

Our shortcomings are plain for all to see. I hope Alun can pull off some deals during the week because this lot will struggle on Saturday for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:55 pm

Another disappointing performance today, I know its pre season but we need to start improving quickly. Fish & chips nice though.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:05 pm

Leagues are not won and lost in preseason. Of course I would like to have seen us play better and win some games but some of you seem to want to write us off before the season has begun. No doubt we need to bolster the squad at both ends of the park but that could still happen by next Saturday.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:07 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:17 pm
But Lexus beedon is a teenager and has a lot to learn he's big and strong i think with a quality player alongside him he will grow .
Let's give alun the benefit of doubt for now and judge after a number of league games.
Don't write off the season before it's begun. Be optimistic for now.
There's nothing to be optimistic about at the moment.

As for Lexus, he's not a teenager, but he is pretty young and inexperienced, and I agree that an experienced quality player will help him (or Alex Storey if he's picked instead).

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Armstrong sounds thoroughly fed up in his post-match interview. Says he’s being knocked back at every turn for a centre half. Trying to get players from further afield but getting them to relocate here is nigh on impossible.

Already talking about changing things up if we get off to a slow start. It’s only pre-season, but anyone wanting a promotion challenge will have tone down their expectations.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:53 pm

He does sound really fed up especially about the central defenders. They are both big lads but seem to lack a bit of aggression as well as tactical nous. We are crying out for an experienced centre half but AA just does not seem to be able to find one. Not sure a loan signing is going to solve this one as only youngsters are likely to be available.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:05 pm

Not great if AA is already putting vibes out about not being able to attract the kind of players he wants and knows we need. We're in danger of having a season just like the beginning of the end of MG and 'seat-gate', I can see him moving on if things don't work out well and then we will be back at square one scratching around for a new manager who is content at working within a a fairly restricted budget and how many of those are out and about? This season does not bode well I'm afraid.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:15 pm

AA did say previously he has some budget left so let’s hope he can persuade someone to join.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:35 pm

AA has already stated that it hasn't really been about money. It seems to be more about central defenders being in huge demand, travelling and personal circumstances. I'm sure someone like Nathan Buddle would normally have been on his radar but I think he wanted to be based further North and Spenny said he told them he couldn't fully commit to all the training with them and even some of the games because of his work situation.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:55 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:05 pm
Not great if AA is already putting vibes out about not being able to attract the kind of players he wants and knows we need. We're in danger of having a season just like the beginning of the end of MG and 'seat-gate', I can see him moving on if things don't work out well and then we will be back at square one scratching around for a new manager who is content at working within a a fairly restricted budget and how many of those are out and about? This season does not bode well I'm afraid.
Moving on where to ?
Not sure lots of clubs will be knocking on his door if things don’t work out.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:55 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Moving on where to ?
His stock will already have been noted from the last couple of incomplete seasons. Consistent top half finishes and cup runs, coupled with his Blyth stint won't have gone unnoticed.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:14 pm

So, the season is written off and the manager could be on his way. And there's me thinking a ball hasn't been kicked yet!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:45 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:01 pm
Old Git wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Moving on where to ?
His stock will already have been noted from the last couple of incomplete seasons. Consistent top half finishes and cup runs, coupled with his Blyth stint won't have gone unnoticed.
We were 3rd bottom last season 😂😂😂😂

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:22 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:45 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:01 pm
Old Git wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Moving on where to ?
We were 3rd bottom last season 😂😂😂😂
False position with the amount of games played.
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:14 pm
So, the season is written off and the manager could be on his way. And there's me thinking a ball hasn't been kicked yet!
Problem is a ball has been kicked, but it hasn't exactly gone well so the lack of optimism is pretty justified. Yes it's preseason but we lack any real momentum and the squad is wafer thin. If this is how we start the season then we should be worried.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:27 pm

No way is AA in high demand at the moment. He needs at least one good, complete season with us to do that.

If he builds a good side from scratch and gets us challenging for playoffs then I can see it, he has got us competitive compared to what we were with Tommy but not sure anyone is looking at us thinking we've over-achieved under Armstrong.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:32 pm

What’s Gary Brown up to these days, could he do a job for us?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:41 pm

What I heard in the interview with AA is someone who is very frustrated with a series of setbacks in the transfer market which has happened for a whole variety of reasons. But also someone determined to work his way through it and make sure we will be competitive and move forward.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:27 pm
No way is AA in high demand at the moment. He needs at least one good, complete season with us to do that.

If he builds a good side from scratch and gets us challenging for playoffs then I can see it, he has got us competitive compared to what we were with Tommy but not sure anyone is looking at us thinking we've over-achieved under Armstrong.
Correct

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:05 am

Darlopartisan wrote:What’s Gary Brown up to these days, could he do a job for us?
No. Brown was out of his depth at this level four years ago. He ain’t the answer now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Had chance to watch the highlights. Two very preventable goals once again, not going to fault Purver cause the lad isn't a CB, both good finishes but in reality we just need someone bigger, stronger and more used to that role at CB. At this point I'd happily take a young loanee from a club higher up, just not some square peg in a round hole.

On a slightly brighter note I think some of the attacking play looked promising. Dos Santos looked handy and put their full back under lots of pressure. The pairing of Cassidy and Charman seemed to occupy their CBs and a couple of good attacks came from Cassidy getting involved and wining flick ons or just not allowing the CB an easy header. Really with the chances we created we should have scored I'm the first minute when Cassidy skewed his shot wide, Cassidy should have squared for Rivers in the first half with would have likely led to an own goal or a tap in and we should have scored again at the end with Mondal.

Awful to hear of a racial incident involving Beeden. Goes without saying it should be thoroughly investigated and the appropriate action taken and we all stand behind him and against racism.

All in all a poor pre-season undoubtedly but a good pre-season wouldn't have meant we were going to win the league and a poor one won't mean we're relegation fodder. We're still 2 first teamers away from a really competitive side for the league and we have budget to spend, but should we sign Nelson (if we can get him fit) and a good CB, then I think this team has plenty about it to be competitive and give us a good season.

Either way I look forward to being at BM v Telford next Saturday and showing the lads my support.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Maybe the centre half who was due to play has had his puncture fixed now and can finally link up with the squad :D