Paolo Mendes released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Paolo Mendes released

Post by poppyfield » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Quakers have today released striker Paolo Mendes after a month at the club. We would like to thank Paolo for his help during that time.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

AndyPark

Re: Paolo Mendes released

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Great addition to the squad and I'm grateful for all his hard work during the tough run of games we had.

You'll be missed Paolo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Sealed his place among the Darlo legends... what an impact. Gray has never lost his eye for a player.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:48 pm

2nd that Andy... What a shame the lad didn't get to show what he was all about, think we have missed a trick here[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Must making room for our marquee signing!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Sealed his place among the Darlo legends... what an impact. Gray has never lost his eye for a player.
Seriously, what the hell was Gray's thinking with this lad, what a total waste of time and money, I seriously question whether he really knows what he is doing at times, just look at the way he is ruining a York team that looked pretty good when they played us.Crazy signing by Gray.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:04 pm

We wasted this lads time, he was never given a chance. Hopefully he'll get another club and show us what we've missed. Not Gray's finest bit of business.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:We wasted this lads time, he was never given a chance. Hopefully he'll get another club and show us what we've missed
What rubbish. Considering our entire forward line right now consists of Cartman, who does not score at this level, then if Mendes had shown that he was anywhere near good enough, he would have been in the team without doubt.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We wasted this lads time, he was never given a chance. Hopefully he'll get another club and show us what we've missed
What rubbish. Considering our entire forward line right now consists of Cartman, who does not score at this level, then if Mendes had shown that he was anywhere near good enough, he would have been in the team without doubt.
This

If anything it's just made me think that Gray had already had his head turned, believed he would swan off into the sunset to York with Ferguson and Beck in toe and we would have Mendes as some cut price, 'he has great potential' replacement.

I addition read in the echo this morning that Beck has a posterior cruciate ligament injury. Which Gray seems to have been playing him on since early in the season. No wonder he hasn't looked himself this season when these are the symptoms:
- Pain with swelling that occurs steadily and quickly after the injury.
- Swelling that makes the knee stiff and may cause a limp.
- Difficulty walking.
- The knee feels unstable, like it may "give out"

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:31 pm

I would suggest, given he failed to even make the bench, that he was nowhere near good enough.

Gray moaned enough about funds, but then chucked money he did have on stuff like this. I mean, i wish the lad well, but what a bizarre signing all around.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:35 pm

I’ll ask whitey when I see him how bad he actually was....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm

He was on the pitch pre match at Curzon warming up but wasnt even on the bench when the game started.

Unstuck

Post by Unstuck » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm

What the hell am I supposed to do with all these Portuguese flags now?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Stall in Moscow, summer 2018?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 pm

I thought he was Welsh?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Can't believe we've let this fan favourite go. No doubt Chelsea or Man Utd have snapped him up...

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:38 am

Quakerz wrote:
I with Pete on "we've wasted this lads time" but with you on he probably wasn't good enough. There have been some strange signings this season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 am

No, rumour is Gray has tempted him down to York City instead of Beck. We should demand compo for the loss of our stealth striker. At least a friendly for our U7s v MGFA !;)

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks for the memories.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 am

On a serious note as well, i wonder how much of the clubs money went into his signing. A few weeks wages and probably a signing on fee. Maybe 1k? Infuriating seeing that money wasted when fans are having to build a stand. Cheers Martin :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:25 am

H1987 wrote:On a serious note as well, i wonder how much of the clubs money went into his signing. A few weeks wages and probably a signing on fee. Maybe 1k? Infuriating seeing that money wasted when fans are having to build a stand. Cheers Martin :thumbup:
This is all Gray's fault, no reflection on the club. A parting gift from Gray?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:...

This is all Gray's fault, no reflection on the club. A parting gift from Gray?

I disagree Pete.

We do not know for sure why the contract was cancelled. As a wild story, he could have been a great prospect for the future, but has since been injured or his personal circumstances are such he can no longer play football.

Assuming its nothing like I have suggested above, then

It is a reflection on the club. Either they authorised the spending of the money or the club did not have proper governance in place in relation to what Gray was doing.

Whilst it may have been a bad signing by Gray, it is not possible for the club to avoid any blame in this matter.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 am

H1987 wrote:On a serious note as well, i wonder how much of the clubs money went into his signing. A few weeks wages and probably a signing on fee. Maybe 1k? Infuriating seeing that money wasted when fans are having to build a stand. Cheers Martin :thumbup:
I doubt we've spent anything. Never made squad on match day, and why people seem to think every part-time player in the country can demand a signing on fee is beyond me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 am

Are we retiring his shirt number?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
I doubt we've spent anything. Never made squad on match day, and why people seem to think every part-time player in the country can demand a signing on fee is beyond me.
think I'm leaning more to this. didn't mendes have a few clubs on his CV despite being relatively young? I get the feeling he needed us more than us needing him so I'd imagine we might not have spent a penny. perhaps he agreed to join on a pay as you play deal for a month to see how it went.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:08 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Sealed his place among the Darlo legends... what an impact. Gray has never lost his eye for a player.
Seriously, what the hell was Gray's thinking with this lad, what a total waste of time and money, I seriously question whether he really knows what he is doing at times, just look at the way he is ruining a York team that looked pretty good when they played us.Crazy signing by Gray.
No one on this Board seems to understand this signing. However, whilst the buck stopped with MG regards making signings, surely he took the advice of a certain Mr Harry Dunn well respected ......blah......blah......blah..... etc so "Nice one 'Arry" let's hope he continues this good work at York! :thumbup:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
think I'm leaning more to this. didn't mendes have a few clubs on his CV despite being relatively young? I get the feeling he needed us more than us needing him so I'd imagine we might not have spent a penny. perhaps he agreed to join on a pay as you play deal for a month to see how it went.
I'm leaning towards the possibility we have had our eyes out.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 pm

loan_star wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
I'm leaning towards the possibility we have had our eyes out.
without knowing the facts, it's just speculation at the end of the day.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:32 pm

It will all come out in the wash soon I would think.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Paulo Mendes is released, DFC begin recruiting for a new Mr Q.

Coincidence? I think not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC