Tonight's game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tonight's game

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote: I assume Gray is working within the budget allowed and if at the limit he needs to move one out to move one in, that's the main reason I would be interested in the trialists. I don't think we can stand still and if Gray can improve the squad then that's his job as long as he does it within budget.

I agree though a focus needs to be placed on the fund raising with probably about 65k to go before the end of the year. I do think we will make it but it needs some attention.

Would like to think a cup run could cut what we need down but to be honest our form in cup games means no point expecting this, would rather Gray prioritised a cup game over the league game prior though.
How are we standing still? We've signed two players for the areas we were lightest in the squad. And since summer 2016, we've brought in Bartlett and Ferguson, who've improved the squad. And Portas + Wearmouth returning strengthens us still further.

The only justification for any more signings is if players leave. Other than that, we don't need anyone and it would be a waste of money that can be better spent on the ground.

Darlo Rob - it's a weak, reductionist argument to say that we need to be challenging for promotion to get good gates. Last season we were in and around the top 5 for the majority of the campaign, but attendances at BM were by general consensus disappointing.

There are many more factors involved, particularly given our damaged reputation in the town over our administrations.
If Gray thinks he needs to swap players around to move forward then so be it, as long as he works within the budget set then I have no issue with people talking about trying to sign certain players.

I think in theory we are saying the same thing, I just don't mind the chat about players and Gray trying to improve the squad.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Move forward? Come on Super Les, you're more intelligent than that. We can't move forward because we're not able to be promoted.

But what's the point of improving an already sufficiently competitive squad if we're ineligible for promotion?

We know our current squad should be competitive enough to challenge for top 7. And there aren't any positions we're short in.

It's naive, almost cult-like, to say "If it's in the allocated budget, then I don't mind. Trust in Martin and the board."

Our record on budgeting correctly in the last five years has been awful. So if there is room in the playing budget, that should be diverted towards developing the ground.

I have a massive problem with us wasting money on players who aren't needed when the ground is the most important issue this season.

If people want to talk about new signings, I'm not bothered. But there has to be a recognition that it is irrelevant while we remain ineligible for promotion.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

I feel confident about the forthcoming season.

A slightly improved team, and seats in time for when they're needed - surely we can have both.

As long as Gray keeps within his playing budget he's welcome to have a look at who is available and what they might offer, it's pre season after all, and personally I think this pre season has gone well.

I say this because quite often in previous years we have had a good team, then watched powerless as it became fragmented and broken up.

So far, hardly any players have left and only a few have come in. This is good as we have a good set of players and a good team spirit - and we can now maintain this and push on.

We have time to raise money for the seats, and I feel confident that this will happen - once the season starts and the new CEO starts to find his feet.

As to Friday night, I thought Galbraith in particular looked really sharp.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I feel confident about the forthcoming season.

A slightly improved team, and seats in time for when they're needed - surely we can have both.

As long as Gray keeps within his playing budget he's welcome to have a look at who is available and what they might offer, it's pre season after all, and personally I think this pre season has gone well.

I say this because quite often in previous years we have had a good team, then watched powerless as it became fragmented and broken up.

So far, hardly any players have left and only a few have come in. This is good as we have a good set of players and a good team spirit - and we can now maintain this and push on.

We have time to raise money for the seats, and I feel confident that this will happen - once the season starts and the new CEO starts to find his feet.

The problem is, we've commited to one without any guarantee of the other, there's no reason we can't have both, but it's being done the wrong way round.

We can have a competitive playing budget and make it more competitive as the season goes on, but we should do so once the ground has been funded.

We have a good team but there's no guarantee it won't be broken up (as Gray has threatened to do previously) if we can't fund the seats (which Gray's budgetary demands are putting at risk).

I think it's foolish to give Gray a promotion challenging budget before we have a ground suitable for promotion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 am

It's interesting that "boost the budget" has enough to fulfill one of the seats funds and as some are saying what's the point if we can't go up? I've struggled with having to put amounts of £100+ into seats when a tenner here and there might be more feasible for many people. 2000 of us putting a tenner in is £20000. I can see people like my lads doing that but not £100. Maybe an additional "boost the seats" fund?!! I also understand the comments about not relying on the renewals money but I'd be interested to know what last years subscriptions was used for.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09 am

loan_star wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:This is the ex-'Artlepools Jordan Richards is it?

"Non league minnows Hartlepool", please get it correct in future ;)
Seems to me the BBC Tees seem to have embraced the non league seen now that the chimps are down. Embraced as far as the conference national that is.

As for the main point in the thread, it's strange how the club haven't really been banging the drum on the fund raising lately. If it was looking desperate to get things moving again then we would be bombarded with reminders that this needs doing. Something in the pipeline maybe?
Maybe, as has been said on here more than once, Steve McClaren is still keen to become involved and there is some substantial investment being discussed? Wishful thinking I know, but ....
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 am

Spyman wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I feel confident about the forthcoming season.

The problem is, we've commited to one without any guarantee of the other, there's no reason we can't have both, but it's being done the wrong way round.

We can have a competitive playing budget and make it more competitive as the season goes on, but we should do so once the ground has been funded.

We have a good team but there's no guarantee it won't be broken up (as Gray has threatened to do previously) if we can't fund the seats (which Gray's budgetary demands are putting at risk).

I think it's foolish to give Gray a promotion challenging budget before we have a ground suitable for promotion.

Yes we can have both. A successful team, will make it easier to raise the remaining funding for the stand.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote: Yes we can have both. A successful team, will make it easier to raise the remaining funding for the stand.
Your poor use of commas is beginning to bug me.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:59 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:It's interesting that "boost the budget" has enough to fulfill one of the seats funds and as some are saying what's the point if we can't go up? I've struggled with having to put amounts of £100+ into seats when a tenner here and there might be more feasible for many people. 2000 of us putting a tenner in is £20000. I can see people like my lads doing that but not £100. Maybe an additional "boost the seats" fund?!! I also understand the comments about not relying on the renewals money but I'd be interested to know what last years subscriptions was used for.
It's a very interesting thought. Even if it only raised 10k that's 10k less.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:It's interesting that "boost the budget" has enough to fulfill one of the seats funds and as some are saying what's the point if we can't go up? I've struggled with having to put amounts of £100+ into seats when a tenner here and there might be more feasible for many people. 2000 of us putting a tenner in is £20000. I can see people like my lads doing that but not £100. Maybe an additional "boost the seats" fund?!! I also understand the comments about not relying on the renewals money but I'd be interested to know what last years subscriptions was used for.
It's a very interesting thought. Even if it only raised 10k that's 10k less.
Something the DFCSG are looking into as well as other initiatives to give things a boost but until the season gets started it's difficult to get traction.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am

Truth is we need everyone to pull their weight here. If there is 80k outstanding. That looks like;

- Martin Gray and the playing staff winning 2 rounds in both the FA cup and FA Trophy (in prize money alone not taking into account any gate receipts) = £28k

- Our CEO bringing in new sponsorship/advertising opportunities = £10k

- Commercially selling more hospitality and merchandise = £10k

- DFCSG membership renewals = £15k

- Fans continuing to give to the existing £100+ pitches = £10k

- A new small donations DFCSG fund £5k

- fans maximising match day ticket sales by dragging their friends, kids, partners etc along with them. = £5k

That would be £83k and are all things that I fee are doable before the start of January. Since we have put the foundations of the new part of the stand in surely it would only be a matter of weeks to get the roof and seating deck up.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am

Just a thought on this. Have we paid a deposit up front for all the work to be carried out and the seats will get completed ASAP and we have the rest of the balance to pay off or are works being carried out as and when the money is raised through the pitches? If It's the latter then until pitch 2 is complete then we'll have a bit of a building site on one part of the ground with the foundations completed and exposed until we have raised money for the erection of the steel and cladding which could possibly affect attendances. Worst case scenario (which I don't think will happen) if fundraising is slow then It's left like that for months.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Just a thought on this. Have we paid a deposit up front for all the work to be carried out and the seats will get completed ASAP and we have the rest of the balance to pay off or are works being carried out as and when the money is raised through the pitches? If It's the latter then until pitch 2 is complete then we'll have a bit of a building site on one part of the ground with the foundations completed and exposed until we have raised money for the erection of the steel and cladding which could possibly affect attendances. Worst case scenario (which I don't think will happen) if fundraising is slow then It's left like that for months.
Yet another reason to prioritise the seats over the playing budget.

Attendances at BM gradually dropped as the second half of the season went on. Anecdotal evidence has suggested that this was due to poor facilities/visibility more than any concerns with the football or results.

Surely that, aside from the promotion issue, is another reason to get these extra seats in asap, and then top up the playing budget further down the line if we can/need to.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

I was looking at the Ebbsfleet story where their stand build has ground to a halt and thinking what about crowdfunding? We took 10 to the trophy final, only 3 of us had seen us before. If we could get the message out to the 11,000 who were there even a fiver each is £55,000 so if only half gave a tenner each, same outcome. Ramblings I know but if it worked.......

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 am

Keep these thoughts coming Don'tbuythesun. Some good ideas out there. Good that Divas has said that other fundraising ideas are in the pipeline.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:10 pm

I understand MG as the manager wanting every single penny available to spend on players....the higher up the league the team finish, the better it reflects on MG. good for him.

but the budgets should be set by the board no? the board's personal ambition (so to speak) - is to see the club prosper and be successful. One goal is to return to the football league. the number 1 blocker for this at this precise moment is the ground. ergo, the budget for this should be the number 1 priority.

I've not see the oft heard outcry from fans to "bring in a 25 goals a season striker"....because we score lots of goals.

similar with defenders as we didn't get hammered every other week.

I'd welcome watching MG being given the chance to display his managerial skills with a lower budget if it meant getting the ground sorted....

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 pm

I would've thought the steel cladding really needs doing before the season starts? It took a few weeks to erect the other part of the stand didn't it? Obviously the seating could be added later, but having exposed foundations uncovered is probably not the best, and would have to be fenced off?

It was maybe unrealistic to expect that money to be raised over summer, when interest is low, and peoples thought are on holidays. Hopefully our CEO pulls something out of the bag. Naming rights for the stand should be the obvious one, get around local businesses and see if anyone will pay for it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Anyone related to that poker player?!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 pm

H1987 wrote:I would've thought the steel cladding really needs doing before the season starts? It took a few weeks to erect the other part of the stand didn't it? Obviously the seating could be added later, but having exposed foundations uncovered is probably not the best, and would have to be fenced off?

It was maybe unrealistic to expect that money to be raised over summer, when interest is low, and peoples thought are on holidays. Hopefully our CEO pulls something out of the bag. Naming rights for the stand should be the obvious one, get around local businesses and see if anyone will pay for it.
Agree. There are so many opportunities for further sponsorship.

- The advertising boards in the ground need to be sold out,
- naming rights and sponsorship boards for the seated stand and the tin shed,
- back of shirts sponsors,
- training kit sponsors,
- shorts sponsors,
- official partnerships listed in match day programme eg preferred builder, taxi company, coach suppliers etc.