Shildon V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Shildon V Darlington FC

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 pm

I would say that if we are also looking to strengthen up top and bring in Heaton then there would have to be at least one player depart. Whether that would be at centre-half or somewhere else remains to be seen. But to have 4 centre halfs in Brown, Burgess, Collins & Heaton would be a luxury at this level.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:04 pm

If Collins is one of the Fylde players involved in the FA betting investigation and he gets a long suspension we will need another centre half.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 pm

dfc4me wrote:If Collins is one of the Fylde players involved in the FA betting investigation and he gets a long suspension we will need another centre half.
Need is a little excessive. We still have the same centre halves that were part of a team that finished fifth.

There's something else we actually do need though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Also, please do not forget that our defence was our weak point last season with 74 goals conceded in 45 matches (in all comps). Our 'goals against' record in the league was the joint-worst in the top-half on the table (with Tamworth).

I don't think anyone should be totally against us bringing in two new centre-halfs this summer!
As long as we off-load at the same time I've got no objection. We currently have 4 recognised central defenders with experience at this level, and Lovegreen in addition to that. As you've already pointed out we then also have Galbraith as an option.
I would say that we have 3 recognised centre-halfs at this level in Brown, Burgess & Collins. From what I have seen last season, and the one before that in the NPL, Hunter is much better at full-back as I thought he was caught out at centre-half in the NPL.

More than happy to retain Hunter as back-up to Marrs and to use as an emergency centre-back if needed. Remember we did have to use Falkingham as a right-back last season also.

Galbraith & Ferguson can fight it out for the left-back place, but Gray might fancy using Ferguson further up the pitch.

I don't think that Lovegreen will be near the first-team (this year) and may go out on loan again.

I do think, at this level, you need at least 3 recognised centre-halfs. We used full-backs or midfielders last year to fill in and do a job when Brown & Burgess were injured and I think that it showed. We have 3 now, but Gray may feel that he can improve on what he has.
How old is Lovegreen now because he seems to have been on the fringes for about three years

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 am

Spyman wrote:
dfc4me wrote:If Collins is one of the Fylde players involved in the FA betting investigation and he gets a long suspension we will need another centre half.
Need is a little excessive. We still have the same centre halves that were part of a team that finished fifth.

I did point out above that, although finishing 5th, our defence conceded the joint-most goals out of the top half of the table. So there is clearly room for improvement there.

By your last comment, I presume that you are talking about 'needing' a new stand. Yes we need a new stand, but seemingly you have an issue with MG strengthening within his allocated budget and feel as though any further signings are a waste of resource.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

I did point out above that, although finishing 5th, our defence conceded the joint-most goals out of the top half of the table. So there is clearly room for improvement there.

By your last comment, I presume that you are talking about 'needing' a new stand. Yes we need a new stand, but seemingly you have an issue with MG strengthening within his allocated budget and feel as though any further signings are a waste of resource.
If we've retained the squad we have and added Collins are are still under budget, then yes I do feel we've misallocated resource at a time when our priority should be getting the stand built.

There will always be room for improvement somewhere and I'm glad our main signing has been a defender. The main area with room for improvement though is definitely the stand.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Brodie,was woeful at best ,I personally think he is a shadow of the player he once was ,overweight and not as good as he thinks he is,not good enough for Southport so for me not good enough for Darlington fc going forward. My opinion anyway.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

onewayup wrote:Brodie,was woeful at best ,I personally think he is a shadow of the player he once was ,overweight and not as good as he thinks he is,not good enough for Southport so for me not good enough for Darlington fc going forward. My opinion anyway.
Aye,all about opinions .Personally I couldn't believe how fit he looked after what I've seen on here about him being a lard arse etc.As for him being woeful,he did no more or less than most of the others in the time he was on the pitch.I'me not suggesting for a minute that we sign him but let's see him in a couple of more games before we chase him.My opinion anyway.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Agree with Emdubya.

I'm not a Brodie fan at all and would be sceptical if he signed for us.

But it's unfair to judge on one match, particularly when it was the first of pre-season.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Agree with you both - no point writing any player off after one game. Particularly pre-season.

Aaron Brown and Adam Bartlett spring to mind in recent years.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 pm

I don't think that Lovegreen will be near the first-team (this year) and may go out on loan again.
.[/quote]
How old is Lovegreen now because he seems to have been on the fringes for about three years[/quote]
Is Lovegreen at Bishop now? Think he scored against Sunderland.