Most Expensive Darlington Player

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Most Expensive Darlington Player

Post by spen666 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:38 am

I see Jordan Pickford is moving to Everton for Sunderland. I am guessing this one transfer fee alone make him the most expensive ex Darlington player ( even when taking into account the values of all transfers a player has had).

It is incredible to think a player now valued at £30m used to play for Darlington

Quakerz

Re: Most Expensive Darlington Player

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 am

Ex Darlo player? Surprised he hasn't gone to Spennymoor, £30 million should be within their sustainable means.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 am

I also see Stockdale has turned down a new deal at Premiership newcomers Brighton to join Birmingham City from 1 July

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:58 am

Just modern values of players really - wonder what the likes of Robbie Blake, David Speedie etc. would be worth in modern day.

Kasper Schmeichel the other ex-darlo player in the Prem next season. Almost had 3 ex-Darlo keepers if Stockdale hadn't moved.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am

lo36789 wrote:Just modern values of players really - wonder what the likes of Robbie Blake, David Speedie etc. would be worth in modern day.

Kasper Schmeichel the other ex-darlo player in the Prem next season. Almost had 3 ex-Darlo keepers if Stockdale hadn't moved.

I was just thinking is Pickford is valued at £30m and he managed to be relegated, what should Schmeichel be worth given he won the League.

Darlington over the years have had a number of very good goalkeepers. probably more than any other position

I agree re Speedie etc. Wonder how much he would be valued at in modern terms

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 am

No idea but do we get a kickback on this transfer? Something to do with aiding the development of a player. Pretty sure something like this happened before.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am

loan_star wrote:No idea but do we get a kickback on this transfer? Something to do with aiding the development of a player. Pretty sure something like this happened before.
Only applies in the case of international transfers, where 5% of fee can be claimed as compensation by clubs the player was at between the ages of 12 & 23.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:53 am

Schmeichel is considerably older though, so we'll on value and years left will bring his value down.

Pickford could feasibly play another 15 years at the top level. If he remained at Everton through that period that's £2mill a year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Pickford is younger and English, it inflates his value. (30 million is absurd though)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:11 pm

H1987 wrote:Pickford is younger and English, it inflates his value. (30 million is absurd though)
It really isn't absurd. Get 5 years of consistency from him and it's a bargain, especially if then sold on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 pm

He was on loan with us, so he was never really our player. £30m for potentially an England International goalkeeper doesn't seem excessive.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:05 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:He was on loan with us, so he was never really our player. £30m for potentially an England International goalkeeper doesn't seem excessive.
He wasn't but neither was Kyle Lafferty and we got some money for him for being part of his development.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote: £30m for potentially an England International goalkeeper doesn't seem excessive.
Really? £30m for a man who catches a ball on a bit of grass on a Saturday afternoon - and that's not excessive?

No disrespect to the player in any way, but football lost its morals long, long ago.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: £30m for potentially an England International goalkeeper doesn't seem excessive.
Really? £30m for a man who catches a ball on a bit of grass on a Saturday afternoon - and that's not excessive?

No disrespect to the player in any way, but football lost its morals long, long ago.
Every place in the Premier League is worth £2million in extra revenue to Everton (given the length of time Pickford could be their number 1 he could easily earn the points to pay back his transfer fee).

At the same time a transfer fee is actually the compensation to the selling club to terminate their contract with the player early. How much would promotion to the Premier League be worth to Sunderland?

Bull fighting is fundamentally immoral, football is just a game. It is just market forces, quite a limited supply of top end football and a high demand for it pushes the prices up. Increases the revenues and those supplying the raw materials increase their price accordingly.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 am

lo36789 wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:

Every place in the Premier League is worth £2million in extra revenue to Everton (given the length of time Pickford could be their number 1 he could easily earn the points to pay back his transfer fee).

At the same time a transfer fee is actually the compensation to the selling club to terminate their contract with the player early. How much would promotion to the Premier League be worth to Sunderland?

Bull fighting is fundamentally immoral, football is just a game. It is just market forces, quite a limited supply of top end football and a high demand for it pushes the prices up. Increases the revenues and those supplying the raw materials increase their price accordingly.
Whilst a good goalkeeper is vital for a good team, Sunderland probably don't need someone of Pickford's potential (forget ability) to achieve promotion. They could bring in someone experienced and perfectly good enough to form part of a promotion winning team for a tenth of what they've received. Building the rest of the team is probably more important and more of a challenge at this stage.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 pm

While on about Jordan Pickford, I unearthed by chance an old team sheet from the boot of my car today.

Darlington V Stockport and It’s dated 3 March 2012.

The team that day was a real mixed bag -

J. Pickford - recent huge transfer!
P. Arnison - ended up in Aus
A. Brown - non league player coach over Bristol way (maybe?)
K. Taylor - Hednesford
R. Bowman - Motherwell, Scottish Prem.
J Mcready - Whitburn Athletic non league
Drewe Broughton - not sure where he is, on Wiki it states he played in total 459 games and scored 83 goals. The last goal of his career was for Darlo.
R Ramshaw. S’moor (and playing well from what I’ve seen)
S Harrison - Hartlepool
N. wainwright - Morecombe youth coach
M Bridge Wilkinson. Huddersfield youth coach

subs Nixon/Keltie/David Ferguson/Lambert.

I don’t remember the game but we lost 1 nil to a Danny Rowe penalty. Stockport had 2 Danny Rowes playing for them that day! Danny L Rowe, and Danny M Rowe.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:While on about Jordan Pickford, I unearthed by chance an old team sheet from the boot of my car today.

K. Taylor - Hednesford
Drewe Broughton - not sure where he is, on Wiki it states he played in total 459 games and scored 83 goals. The last goal of his career was for Darlo.
S Harrison - Hartlepool

I don’t remember the game but we lost 1 nil to a Danny Rowe penalty. Stockport had 2 Danny Rowes playing for them that day! Danny L Rowe, and Danny M Rowe.
I remember that game. Was wainy's first after returning, think he nearly dispossessed their keeper on the halfway line. Broughton headed one over from about two yards. Lots of battle but not enough experience ir quality so nothing to show for it - reminiscent of a lot of those games.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:33 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:While on about Jordan Pickford, I unearthed by chance an old team sheet from the boot of my car today.

K. Taylor - Hednesford
S Harrison - Hartlepool

Danny L Rowe being the goal machine that shot Fylde to the title last season.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
loan_star wrote:No idea but do we get a kickback on this transfer? Something to do with aiding the development of a player. Pretty sure something like this happened before.
Only applies in the case of international transfers, where 5% of fee can be claimed as compensation by clubs the player was at between the ages of 12 & 23.
Maybe we should guide our ex junior players towards Welsh clubs.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
Maybe we should guide our ex junior players towards Welsh clubs.
FFS - unbelievable!!! And just how exactly do you propose we go about that then Jonno?