Local clubs released list

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Local clubs released list

Post by spen666 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:Agreed. York, Stockport, Kidderminster, Harrogate seem the obvious challengers. Not sure how Harrogate's recruitment has gone beyond Falkingham. Three out of four of those are full time.

Not expecting Southport or North Ferriby to have that much money to invest.

Spennymoor seem pretty content to stick with what worked last season but clearly they have a bit of financial clout beyond their crowds, Blyth have lost a couple of players I believe including their top scorer from last season.

Realistically, Spennymoor, North Ferriby, probably Blyth and a good few other clubs will be doing well to finish in top half of table and that will be regarded as a successful season

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:32 pm

It depends. Based on attendances Blyth are a mid table side and Spennymoor are a bottom third side but ultimately the financial means is potentially a different story.

Expect that Spennymoor will have a top half budget so would expect that sort of finish.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:It depends. Based on attendances Blyth are a mid table side and Spennymoor are a bottom third side but ultimately the financial means is potentially a different story.

Expect that Spennymoor will have a top half budget so would expect that sort of finish.

I doubt Spennymoor will have that big a budget as there are a lot of sides with far more financial clout. Also being realistic, this is the highest level a small town like spennymoor could realistically hope to be at.

North Ferriby were an exception last year, and funded by the same family that run Hull City. Even Braintree (relegated last season from National League) had a population at least double that of Spennymoor.

I think the realistic aspirations of Darlington and others is different from Blyth, Spennymoor. Darlington expect to be in promotion challenge, whereas for Spennymoor and Blyth it would be a dream come true to be challenging for a play off place.

Blyth again however is about double the population of Spennymoor and Darlington is at least double that of Blyth.

Ignoring population, financial clout etc, Darlington have got a squad that has shown it can compete at very top of division already. Neither Blyth nor Spennymoor have proven that

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 31, 2017 3:02 pm

spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:It depends. Based on attendances Blyth are a mid table side and Spennymoor are a bottom third side but ultimately the financial means is potentially a different story.

I doubt Spennymoor will have that big a budget as there are a lot of sides with far more financial clout. Also being realistic, this is the highest level a small town like spennymoor could realistically hope to be at.

North Ferriby were an exception last year, and funded by the same family that run Hull City. Even Braintree (relegated last season from National League) had a population at least double that of Spennymoor.

I think the realistic aspirations of Darlington and others is different from Blyth, Spennymoor. Darlington expect to be in promotion challenge, whereas for Spennymoor and Blyth it would be a dream come true to be challenging for a play off place.

Blyth again however is about double the population of Spennymoor and Darlington is at least double that of Blyth.

Ignoring population, financial clout etc, Darlington have got a squad that has shown it can compete at very top of division already. Neither Blyth nor Spennymoor have proven that
Spennymoor has a population over 3 times Nailsworth so I'm not sure town size is relevant if you have the financial backing (I'm not saying Brad Groves has the same wealth as Dale Vince).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 pm

Spyman wrote:....
Spennymoor has a population over 3 times Nailsworth so I'm not sure town size is relevant if you have the financial backing (I'm not saying Brad Groves has the same wealth as Dale Vince).

Don't know about wealth, but I am glad Brad is not a evangelical vegan like said Vince.

Mind you having tried the burgers at the Brewery Field... perhaps Brad does have objections to meat

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:12 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Blyth have just lost one of their main midfield men with Matty Pattison opting to sign a two-year deal with South Shields. Apparently Blyth just couldn't afford to offer a two-year deal but money doesn't seem much of a problem for South Shields in the Evo-Stik.
I am expecting Shields to march on at quite a pace for the next few years, spending money like it is going out of fashion, I think they one of the highest populated areas in the Country without a team in a National Division, though I could be wrong on that. There Chairman said they wanted to emulate Fleetwood and possibly mentioned Burton too.

Would be good if more teams took the next step like Spenny and us before them

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Spyman wrote:
spen666 wrote:

Look Hoffenheim in Germany, they are a village team from a place with a population of about 3,200 though there 30k seat stadium is in Sinsheim

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:46 pm

York City have released Oyebanjo, Fenwick and Lappin.

With us looking for a forward I can see us going for Fenwick having enquired about him in the past.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Can you? 2 goals in 27 games is hardly prolific. Before that 10 in 40 odd games for poolies.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:33 pm

That was in the league above for York and primarily from the bench I should imagine.

Beck had 0 goals in 11 games for Wrexham before signing for us over the summer and he was probably our best signing last season.

stayhigh13

Post by stayhigh13 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 pm

I saw Fenwick play in the considerable flesh last season at York. Looked overweight & uninterested.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Isn't he just a poor Beck?

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:10 am

Darlo_CR wrote:York City have released Oyebanjo, Fenwick and Lappin.

With us looking for a forward I can see us going for Fenwick having enquired about him in the past.
- Injuries have pretty much done for Oyebanjo, could well be the end of him at any kind of serious competitive level.
- Lappin is also injured long term and, from what I saw last season, a class above this division when fit.
- Fenwick can take a penalty and is a 'good lad' by all accounts, but from what I've seen of him at York that's about it. Just tends to walk about looking bored about 10 yards away from where he should be.

The others out at York that would be looking around this level are Rzonca (young winger, actually not bad), Galbraith (shite) and McDaid (shite) along with a few on the transfer list but nothing that would better the current squad.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:58 am

If players have been released at a relegated York, they're not going to cut it in our league, especially when York don't want them, leave well alone.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If players have been released at a relegated York, they're not going to cut it in our league, especially when York don't want them, leave well alone.

York City deemed Marco Gabbiadini and David Stockdale as surplus stock and they were both transferred to us !!

I think you'll agree - these two players did quite well.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:If players have been released at a relegated York, they're not going to cut it in our league, especially when York don't want them, leave well alone.

York City deemed Marco Gabbiadini and David Stockdale as surplus stock and they were both transferred to us !!

True but I don't think York were a Conference side going down to the Conference North when we got those 2 players?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

True but I don't think York were a Conference side going down to the Conference North when we got those 2 players?
Correct. And we weren't a Conference North side.

When we signed Gabbiadini, both York and us were in what is now League 2.
When we signed Stockdale I'm pretty sure York were a division below us in the Conference. If not they were at best League 2.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am

I was trying to make the point that each potential signing should be viewed on the player only, what he could give to us, and not his present position.

York for example.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Former National League striker on trial according to the Echo.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:48 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Former National League striker on trial according to the Echo.
Fenwick, surely?
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Must be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:37 pm

If it is I hope he proves his record wrong!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Darlo_H wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Former National League striker on trial according to the Echo.
Fenwick, surely?
IF it's Fenwick and as you say,he strolls around,he won't even get a pre season game unless he gets into MG's way of working.
But there again,wouldn't he be described as an ex league 2 player(Poolie),if it is him?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Why are we spending money on players that contribute nothing to our future?

DC

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Spyman wrote:Why are we spending money on players that contribute nothing to our future?

We haven't spent any money because we haven't signed anyone.You're flapping about a rumour it's Fenwick.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 am

Emdubya wrote:
Spyman wrote:Why are we spending money on players that contribute nothing to our future?

We haven't spent any money because we haven't signed anyone.You're flapping about a rumour it's Fenwick.
Who is flapping?

I don't care if it's Fenwick or Messi. There's no point in us bringing anyone else in unless they are playing for free.

DC

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:49 am

I don't think it will be Fenwick although I do think he is a player that we should be looking at. Either way roll on Shildon and I'm sure we may know a little bit more then.

Simon Grand was mentioned on here a few weeks ago, I wonder if we're in for him? Chorley based and proven experience in the National League and NLN.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:12 am

I think we can rule out Grand now that we've signed Collins.
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 am

Darlo_CR wrote:I think we can rule out Grand now that we've singed Collins.
WHAT!!!.We've just signed him and we've set him alight. :lol:

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 am

Darlo_CR wrote:I think we can rule out Grand now that we've singed Collins.
There were strong rumours earlier this week that we were looking at another CB so it wouldn't come as a surprise.