Local clubs released list

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Local clubs released list

Post by JE93 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Gateshead are the first to release their retained list with the following players released:

Mitch Brundle
Toby Ajala
Nick Cassidy
Shaun McDonald
Jack Elliott

Not a very inspiring list. No one on there I would be particularly interested in bringing to DFC.

LoidLucan

Re: Local clubs released list

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Harrogate Town have had a big clear-out before going full-time with eight leaving: Chris Elliott, Danny Ellis, Luke Shiels, JP Pittman, Wayne Brooksby, Tom Platt, Andi Thanoj and Joe Colbeck.

I think Brooksby played against us while on loan at Bradford and looked very good - got a hat-trick in a game against Telford.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Joe Colbeck was decent in both games against us, played RB I think.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed May 03, 2017 9:27 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Joe Colbeck was decent in both games against us, played RB I think.
I thought so too, was decent when on loan with us back in the old days too.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Colbeck and Platt decent players

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 04, 2017 6:45 am

princes town wrote:Colbeck and Platt decent players
Why do we need a ginge & a 70+ year old goalkeeper? ;)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 am

jjljks wrote:
princes town wrote:Colbeck and Platt decent players
Why do we need a ginge & a 70+ year old goalkeeper? ;)
That's being gingist, not that I'm one, thank God. :lol:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Sefton Gonzalez has been released by Stockport County. Not clinical by all means however he has always caused significant problems against us when he has played for both Clitheroe and Stockport. Would be a replacement for Beck if he decides to move on.

Damian Reeves has also announced that he is leaving Altrincham. Not had the best of seasons but his track-record at this level is outstanding. Doncaster-based I believe.

As mentioned above, Joe Colbeck was pretty strong in both games against us. J-P Pittman would also be a good shout but unsure if he's based locally.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon May 08, 2017 10:22 am

its gona be tough competing against Blyth and Spennymoor next season for players, never thought I would ever say that, at least the extra derby games should hopefully bring a few more bumper crowds in, we need it, we need at the very least 2000 every game next season IMO, doubtful we will get it though.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:13 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Sefton Gonzalez has been released by Stockport County. Not clinical by all means however he has always caused significant problems against us when he has played for both Clitheroe and Stockport. Would be a replacement for Beck if he decides to move on.

Damian Reeves has also announced that he is leaving Altrincham. Not had the best of seasons but his track-record at this level is outstanding. Doncaster-based I believe.

As mentioned above, Joe Colbeck was pretty strong in both games against us. J-P Pittman would also be a good shout but unsure if he's based locally.
Just my opinion but not sure I'd take any of those. Gonzales just hasn't scored enough goals for me. Reeves is over the hill, its been a good couple of seasons since he scored any goals. Colbeck had a good showing against us I agree, but in reality we should be running with a slim squad next season and having more than 3 players who can play at RB (Marrs, Hunter, Brown Falkringham) would be too many. Pitman was a good player but think has had more than his fair share of injuries. We need value for money and a player who is ready to play 45 games a season

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am

I think we need a new CB anyway as Brown is at the maximum level he can play at IMO

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:37 am

If we're talking about new players.
We need to move on 1 keeper, 3 is too many.
One of Hunter, Brown or Burgess to go to be replaced by an experienced CB.
If we can get Portas and Falkringham on contracts for next seasons then move Scott on.
Hopefully get Cartman tied up to a new contract. If Beck moves on at least we'll get compensation need to replace him though. John Parkin at York or Billy Paynter from Pools might not be a bad shout.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 pm

JE93 wrote:If we're talking about new players.
If we can get Portas and Falkringham on contracts for next seasons then move Scott on.
Hopefully get Cartman tied up to a new contract. If Beck moves on at least we'll get compensation need to replace him though. John Parkin at York or Billy Paynter from Pools might not be a bad shout.
Actually agree with most of this except I'd go further and lose both spare keepers. How often do you actually need your reserve goalkeeper - basically it is the rest of the game your first teamer goes down. Surely just use a youth teamer for the purpose of sitting on the bench and worst case scenario have some players we know we can get in on short term loan if needed.

Two keepers off the wage bill on £200 per week over 40 weeks is £8k not including NI contributions.

Definitely think we'd struggle to get Parkin...Paynter I have no idea what his options look like.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Why would we get some compensation for Beck going, as he was only on a one year contract which I believe is about to run out?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 08, 2017 1:01 pm

bertbanger wrote:its gona be tough competing against Blyth and Spennymoor next season for players, never thought I would ever say that, at least the extra derby games should hopefully bring a few more bumper crowds in, we need it, we need at the very least 2000 every game next season IMO, doubtful we will get it though.
If we don't raise the amount for the budget that is being asked for, then I can see us going backwards on the field as well. So crowds will probably fall away, with the exception of a few derbies.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Actually agree with most of this except I'd go further and lose both spare keepers. How often do you actually need your reserve goalkeeper - basically it is the rest of the game your first teamer goes down. Surely just use a youth teamer for the purpose of sitting on the bench and worst case scenario have some players we know we can get in on short term loan if needed.

Two keepers off the wage bill on £200 per week over 40 weeks is £8k not including NI contributions.

Definitely think we'd struggle to get Parkin...Paynter I have no idea what his options look like.
Agreed Lo, was even contemplating the idea of moving on 2 of the CB bringing in 1 experienced CB and using Galbraith as a cover CB.

Pete, Beck was 23 or younger when he signed for Darlo meaning we have 'taken part in his development' so as long as we have offered him a contract on the same or greater terms we will be due compensation. Similar situation to Danny Ings leaving Burnley for Liverpool.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Mon May 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
bertbanger wrote:its gona be tough competing against Blyth and Spennymoor next season for players, never thought I would ever say that, at least the extra derby games should hopefully bring a few more bumper crowds in, we need it, we need at the very least 2000 every game next season IMO, doubtful we will get it though.
If we don't raise the amount for the budget that is being asked for, then I can see us going backwards on the field as well. So crowds will probably fall away, with the exception of a few derbies.
I don't get this rationale at all, it's not like we've lifted crowds hugely by vying for the play offs. The crowds of anything given our success have been disappointing

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Undercovered wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I don't get this rationale at all, it's not like we've lifted crowds hugely by vying for the play offs. The crowds of anything given our success have been disappointing
The only reason crowds have been disappointing is because we are playing in a field with a couple of sheds on it.When people can actually see what they've paid for crowds will improve but that will only come when terracing arrives.And,of course,the team are doing well again.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Mon May 08, 2017 3:27 pm

So you're agreeing then that's crowds won't dwindle away

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon May 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Parkin is committed to York, can see Paynter at Blyth over us to be honest though I'd certainly see if there's something we can do if he's interested.

As someone already mentioned, with Spendy, Blyth and York in the same league there's going to be a fair bit of competition for local players next season and we may have to reign expectations in slightly.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 am

I see James Poole has become available, wouldn't be surprised to see him join Stockport County.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

Stockport need a replacement for Danny Lloyd, who's gone to Peterborough - big loss for them

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

County fans must be sick as fook. Lloyd got 29 goals in all competitions with 19 assists and they don't get a penny for him as he was only on a year's deal. Must be a dream true for him to get a three-year deal at a League One club and it just shows that our level of football can be a great stepping stone back into the big time if players produce the goods.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue May 09, 2017 1:00 pm

JE93 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Sefton Gonzalez has been released by Stockport County. Not clinical by all means however he has always caused significant problems against us when he has played for both Clitheroe and Stockport. Would be a replacement for Beck if he decides to move on.

Just my opinion but not sure I'd take any of those. Gonzales just hasn't scored enough goals for me. Reeves is over the hill, its been a good couple of seasons since he scored any goals. Colbeck had a good showing against us I agree, but in reality we should be running with a slim squad next season and having more than 3 players who can play at RB (Marrs, Hunter, Brown Falkringham) would be too many. Pitman was a good player but think has had more than his fair share of injuries. We need value for money and a player who is ready to play 45 games a season
Whilst I was interested in the names put forward, the above description is about right for me. Gonzales doesn't score enough and I think I've read that he has attitude problems. Pitman seems to be injured a lot, but is more in the ok bracket than best in the league. Colbeck is the one I'd be most interested in but to play where exactly.

We are pretty well stacked in most positions. An improvement in 2/3 positions and we still have a team capable of the playoffs (budget dependant)

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 pm

So which players will MG release (Assumes he has not walked.

Scott
Jameson
Burgess
Hunter

Beck & Turnbull to move.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

tezza wrote:So which players will MG release (Assumes he has not walked.

Scott
Jameson
Burgess
Hunter

Beck & Turnbull to move.
No way would I release Burgess and Hunter, far too good to let go. I understand Harrogate want Beck so sadly the opportunity for FT football would be a good move for him but I cannot see Phil Turnbull leaving us, he wants to stay P/T and who would he join locally that is better than us.The only problem as I see it is our budget which is key in keeping our better players from approaches from you know who.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Turnbull ends up at South Shields, although as he's under contract we'd need to be hard nosed and get a fair price. But then again I would be surprised as he doesn't strike me as the type to drop down multiple levels for money :lol:

Probably a lot depends on what our budget looks like/are we going to be challenging for promotion or cutting back slightly.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 pm

LoidLucan wrote:County fans must be sick as fook. Lloyd got 29 goals in all competitions with 19 assists and they don't get a penny for him as he was only on a year's deal. Must be a dream true for him to get a three-year deal at a League One club and it just shows that our level of football can be a great stepping stone back into the big time if players produce the goods.
Must be. I know when marcus maddison went to Peterborough there were sell on clauses as well as a half a million transfer fee

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 pm

How about Adam Campbell? released from Notts Co, former Newcastle

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Why do people think Turnbull will go? There is no reason we have to let him go as far as I am aware.

Lose a couple of keepers, Falkingham has already gone. £80k per annum is £2k per week we need to knock off. I'd suspect those 3 will see us over half way there and that is ignoring that we've already boosted the budget by c £250 per week.

Btw all above is on assumption we only pay 40weeks a year.