Fans forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fans forum

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 am

Robbie Painter wrote: Martin Gray basically he said he has two investors lined up. They want 51%+ of club. If this doesn't happen & his budget is cut then himself & his management team (& no doubt a lot of the players) will be off at the end of season. 7 days time.

That's not how I remember his words. I think you're wrong.

I thought he said that him and his management team would have no choice but to reconsider their positions after about 18 months, if Darlo were caught up in a downward spiral.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 am

It couldn't have been spelt out any plainer last night - stay 100% fan owned and see this level as our peak with almost definite decline to Evostick again and yearly battles to balance the books or go for a fan/investor split with the chance of something better.

On those terms it is almost a no brainer especially when MG mentions that one of the investors has the football background so missing from previous owners.

Our problem is time is not on our side as decisions have to be taken very soon on confirming the player budget and if the pitch is to be redone. If only this could've been put out for debate months previous to this as, lets be honest, we knew a day like this had to come - it was only a case of when.

DB

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:41 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote: Martin Gray basically he said he has two investors lined up. They want 51%+ of club. If this doesn't happen & his budget is cut then himself & his management team (& no doubt a lot of the players) will be off at the end of season. 7 days time.

I thought he said that him and his management team would have no choice but to reconsider their positions after about 18 months, if Darlo were caught up in a downward spiral.
My take on MG's words were that the management team would be gone at the end of the season along with players such as Beck, Ferguson, Syers & Turnbull who he named. But that is the problem - so many different interpretations of what we all heard at the same time.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am

We are where we are due to the hard and thankless work of everyone who has been involved. It's far from perfect, in fact it's a mess. But it's a mess in a place where it can nOw be fixed.

Stableising in the same division is not moving backwards. Look at Spenny. Took their time at NL and appear to be structured correctly. Provided that there is a long term plan, and it's implemented in a constructed way, a couple of seasons or so at this level may be beneficial to the next step.

A lot has been debated. My take is this...
what is in it for the investors?
If they want to invest so eagerly, why did the manager have to approach them?
If they're looking at it from footballing perspectives, then they don't need the majority stake.
Who are they? We'll find out in due course, but I'm very vary of anyone who has sole control.
And then taken from below, there must be certain conditions that can not be altered. Namely, if anyone decides to walk away, any money invested can not be returned...only profits.

A long road ahead. A lot of us we're at Barrow, we all remember Peugeot day. Handing over cOntrol, places days like that back into the realms of possibility.

As was stated last night, my investment and time has been for my own benefit, our benefit, but it's about ensuring that there is a club to support for generations to come

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am

Gray has to state definitely who these potential investors are, as McClaren and Hodgy would be a different proposition from someone else. McClaren and Hodgy in particular both know how Darlo ticks and they would both know what needs to be done to get this club moving forward, both on and off the field.

Certainly last night seems to have left a lot more questions than answers.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 am

Darlogramps wrote:This is too simplistic. Cut the budget, you cut the quality of the football. We're less competitive meaning attendances drop. Meaning less revenue and another budget loss.
Well really why are we bothering then? Basically what that is saying is we can never sustain a club. That isn't exactly an inspiring investment pitch is it?

If you spend and performances improve you still can't generate the revenue to meet it.

If you cut your cloth your performances decline and your revenue reduces.

I am not saying you ignore the £15k, but when it comes to a debate about whether we can afford to be competitive in this division then it isn't relevant. You need to balance the books in that season, and as long as you do that then happy days.

I'd be interested to know where we'd be with a full season at Blackwell Meadows. Is it a better or worse position. The headline figures sounds scary but when it is broken up I am not convinced we are a million miles away from where we are right now (which is very competitive) in this division.

At some point the division will settle, the 500 club will no longer be a gap in revenue and we can progress from it. I think the idea we'll suddenly dwindle away to being an EvoStik club is a bit over the top we'd need to be settling on average attendances which are sub 600 to be in that position.

I don't understand why we would be in that position when the likes of Chorley, Altrincham, Tamworth and Boston United are not.

boorman

Post by boorman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 am

Its not like we're in a rosy position at the moment, another year of huge operating losses despite hugely increased attendance figures is really tough to stomach.
But isn't moving to a new ground that required an outlay to bring it up to standard an exceptional year? Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not party to the accounts - but isn't it fair to assume that expenditure in Year 2 at BW will be less than this year?

If that is a fair assumption, then isn't it a bit quick to assume the whole thing's unsustainable?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 am

DarloBear wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

My take on MG's words were that the management team would be gone at the end of the season along with players such as Beck, Ferguson, Syers & Turnbull who he named. But that is the problem - so many different interpretations of what we all heard at the same time.
Obviously I could be mistaken - but - firstly (to paraphrase) I thought he said that if Darlo couldn't push on in the way that he seems fit and he was left struggling and stagnating, then he and his management team would probably split in about 18 months time. As for the players, I took it that they would probably go on a faster time scale. He also mentioned about Blyth/Spenny/H'gate etc all competing for players, and how difficult things for us are about to get.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:05 am

At the moment we have a board of ONE. If he goes we are completely scuppered because, after the past week and last night in particular, the chances of anyone else stepping forward are about zero. The cost of being in this league, both in money and time required, is higher than most of us realised. IF we let investors in it should allow the DFCSG to retain all the monies it currently hands over to the club ( membership fees, lottery money and repayment of the £100K loan ) which would give us a substantial fund to fall back on if the worst did happen.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:06 am

boorman wrote:
Its not like we're in a rosy position at the moment, another year of huge operating losses despite hugely increased attendance figures is really tough to stomach.
But isn't moving to a new ground that required an outlay to bring it up to standard an exceptional year? Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not party to the accounts - but isn't it fair to assume that expenditure in Year 2 at BW will be less than this year?

If that is a fair assumption, then isn't it a bit quick to assume the whole thing's unsustainable?
Operational losses usually exclude one off expenses and capital expenditure though.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am

Darlogramps wrote:
lo36789 wrote: The loss was made up of £30k lower revenues, £35k overspend on playing budget, £15k carried forward from previous season.

In the actual return home to Darlo year (not a full season) we lost £65k.

£35k of that was because of an overspend on budget.
This is incorrect. 30k was because of reduced income (BM gates being lower than anticipated), 35k was because of additional costs (in particular, having to have employed safety officers on matchdays), with a 15k carry over.

And you can't magic away the 15k, as you've tried to do. It still needs to be dealt with.

You stated the overspend was down to MG. This is again incorrect. There are several factors which made it up, the board stated as much.

If anything, it seems the overspend was down more to the board setting the playing budget too high.

lo36789 wrote: If we reduce that out we are instantly down to £30k in terms of where revenues were budgeted at and where they ended up.

It was stated that 500 fans would be £100k per year. 150 fans would be extra £30k.
This is too simplistic. Cut the budget, you cut the quality of the football. We're less competitive meaning attendances drop. Meaning less revenue and another budget loss.

And what about any additional costs? Every year something seems to have cropped up.

And another factor. We've got a high number of concessions, especially younger people. This is great but obviously doesn't pay as much as a full adult ticket.

That's why saying 150 extra fans = £30k is far too simplistic, and I hate it when anybody throws figures around like this.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
To me in simple terms we haven't budgeted sensibly at any point since 2012 and up until this point we have got away with it...just in many cases! Yes ambition was always to climb the pyramid but I feel at times this has been at an almost reckless cost. When you budget there is a fine line between investing to continue growth and sustainability (I.e. promotions and squad improvements) but there should always be an element of caution on uncertain factors (I.e. what if attendances don't improve, alongside the added costs of success).

This is where I feel year on year various boards have ignored actual income and almost hoped that attendances/season ticket sales/sponsorship investment, would improve to bail them out from the increased on-field spending. Yes I think we have all enjoyed the success on the field the past few seasons but this has been my worry all along, a 'promotion and progress at all cost attitude', it's all been too care-free and uncontrolled in my opinion. The yearly financial accounts are proving this to be the case.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:20 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:My worry is BM. No guarantees of it being OK for EFL.
Spot on Vic

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:21 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:This is too simplistic. Cut the budget, you cut the quality of the football. We're less competitive meaning attendances drop. Meaning less revenue and another budget loss.
Well really why are we bothering then? Basically what that is saying is we can never sustain a club. That isn't exactly an inspiring investment pitch is it?

If you spend and performances improve you still can't generate the revenue to meet it.

If you cut your cloth your performances decline and your revenue reduces.
Basically, yes.

Neither way is perfect. Cut the budget down and it you'll only have to reduce it next year because revenues decline.

But invest to be competitive and the club can overstretch itself.

If the investors are sensible, and there are safeguards + fan oversight, I don't see why changing ownership structure is necessarily negative.

But until we know who the investors are and what their plan is, no one can say either way.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am

Darlogramps wrote: If the investors are sensible, and there are safeguards + fan oversight, I don't see why changing ownership structure is necessarily negative.

But until we know who the investors are and what their plan is, no one can say either way.
This seems to be the key thing. Previously the fans had no say in the selection of dodgy charlatans who came in and held power over the club.

I feel there will be some people who will be very concerned over this new possible development, they will like our present structure and will be content to enjoy football at this level for a while yet. I can understand this, but personally will keep an open mind.

Gray needs to spill the beans now...
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

offside

Post by offside » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 am

lo36789 wrote:Yes as said at the forum we own the stands etc. we own the parts of the ground. Don't know why I am wasting time on a spennymoor fan on a permanent wind up - if there is one benefit of an investor and a return to the FL you will become completely irrelevant once again.
To be quite honest that spenny fan wants a smack

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:44 am

dfc4me wrote:At the moment we have a board of ONE. If he goes we are completely scuppered because, after the past week and last night in particular, the chances of anyone else stepping forward are about zero. The cost of being in this league, both in money and time required, is higher than most of us realised. IF we let investors in it should allow the DFCSG to retain all the monies it currently hands over to the club ( membership fees, lottery money and repayment of the £100K loan ) which would give us a substantial fund to fall back on if the worst did happen.
If the worst happened again, then we are done it's over they will be no coming back a 2nd time.

This next decision is that serious and both options have no guarantee whatever anyone says.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
dfc4me wrote:At the moment we have a board of ONE. If he goes we are completely scuppered because, after the past week and last night in particular, the chances of anyone else stepping forward are about zero. The cost of being in this league, both in money and time required, is higher than most of us realised. IF we let investors in it should allow the DFCSG to retain all the monies it currently hands over to the club ( membership fees, lottery money and repayment of the £100K loan ) which would give us a substantial fund to fall back on if the worst did happen.
If the worst happened again, then we are done it's over they will be no coming back a 2nd time.

This next decision is that serious and both options have no guarantee whatever anyone says.
I agree. Actually the DFCSG are the corporate director of the football club so if JT did step down then the DFCSG would be left holding the reins but, that aside, I was wondering if there would be any way to build in an asset lock into any agreement which allows new investors to come in.

Very simplistic, I know. I'll leave it to others who know more about this stuff to discuss whether anything like that is feasible - either from ours and from a potential investor's point of view.
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:14 am

Just listened back to MG piece again. Interesting that he says that's his bit now and he is throwing it back over the board now.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:15 am

m62exile wrote:
boorman wrote:

Operational losses usually exclude one off expenses and capital expenditure though.
It would be interesting to see the financial projections / assumptions that have been made for the coming 12 months.MG refers to his budget being cut by £85000 so they must be out there.

Did DFCSG have access and input into them? I think based on the fact directors are leaving we need to be involved in how they were put together as part of the process in deciding ownership.A starting point surely.

There are a few people on here who have had previous experience in budget setting to run the rule over these assumptions and resultant figures.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:

Unfortunately you are right.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 am

dickdarlington wrote:Look at Spenny. Took their time at NL and appear to be structured correctly. Provided that there is a long term plan, and it's implemented in a constructed way, a couple of seasons or so at this level may be beneficial to the next step.
Sorry but thats crap. Spenny rely on Groves to bail them out, he is their benefactor. They can't afford what they are doing on their crowds. FFS they can't even raise £7k to replace some seats on their own.
Next you'll be saying Salford are the same. :shock:

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:24 am

It is going to be an interesting few weeks/months in the Darlo world, so no real change there I guess.

I think it is going to be difficult for the club to get a clear feel for what the fans want, I think it is probably time for the DFCSG to do so surveys of the membership on what we want the club to be and the priorities.

It is clear that some ambitions and objectives do not sit well together, i.e. being sustainable or getting back to the Football League as fast as possible.

MG has clearly set out which of those he wants, the fans need to do the same. Everyone will have their own opinion and 'red line' about what they will/won't accept.

It may be unfortunate but what MG wants and what the majority of the fans want (not just those on here or on twitter) may not be the same, which could lead to an amicable parting of the ways sooner or later.

Personally, any external investment that we accept (not that I am keen on any really) must be transparent to show exactly what is in it for both sides. I cannot see what anyone gets from investing in a football club (probably below the Championship) other than grief and a loss of their own money.

Also we need to think longer term, how long can we expect any investors to stick around? What do we do when they eventually leave? What lessons can we learn from other clubs around the country who are in the same position as us?

As it has been stated many times on here, the fans will get the club they deserve. Our attendances are lower than we would have probably hoped for, how do we address that as a matter of priority.

Would more people attend if the ground was improved (yes I know that is a whole other can of worms) or if the team was playing better?

Is it the match day experience at BM? Cost?

The team are currently as successful as they have ever been (apart from a wobble that coincided with our move to BM), so realistically not much can be done on that side.

Again something that a decent amount of research could help with, although polls have shown themselves to be a bit unreliable.

Again is there anything innovative being tried by other clubs?

Hmmm seem to be rambling now....

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:39 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:From following tonight's events prior to MG's rousing speech it seems clear that the club is knackered. This season sees us in a false position and next year the proposed budget cut (£85k) would see us unable to compete with Blyth, Spennymoor and Harrogate let alone the bigger clubs from the north west. As MG said, it'd be mid table obscurity followed by relegation pretty soon after...a big price to pay for sticking to principles. That is not sustainability
How is mid table obscurity and relegation because we spent within our means not sustainability?

How is spending beyond our means because we have a sugar daddy sustainable?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 am

We can speculate till the cows come home but MG stated at the end that we have trusted him for the last 5 years and to just trust him again on this one.I am happy to do that, he is not stupid, he stated the fans ownership in conjunction with investors is workable so let's see what happens.Obviously there are many concerns on this message board but at the same time could be a great move for our club.The next week should be fascinating.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 am

MG has no risk attached though. There is only gain for him. You do realise if he gets us to the FL if the investor goes he will get another job. All the while an investor will pay his salary. The higher we go the bigger his pay packet gets and he continues to have his business operating in the background.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:00 am

lo36789 wrote:MG has no risk attached though. There is only gain for him. You do realise if he gets us to the FL if the investor goes he will get another job. All the while an investor will pay his salary. The higher we go the bigger his pay packet gets and he continues to have his business operating in the background.
He also has his reputation to lose too, what would people think of him if his investor did the dirty on us?

boorman

Post by boorman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
m62exile wrote:
boorman wrote:

It would be interesting to see the financial projections / assumptions that have been made for the coming 12 months.MG refers to his budget being cut by £85000 so they must be out there.

Did DFCSG have access and input into them? I think based on the fact directors are leaving we need to be involved in how they were put together as part of the process in deciding ownership.A starting point surely.

There are a few people on here who have had previous experience in budget setting to run the rule over these assumptions and resultant figures.
Yep, fair point re: the meaning of "operational". But now it just moves me onto a similar point, i.e. shouldn't we see how the team does when it costs £85,000-per year less to put together?

In Martin Gray's mind he's certain he knows the answer, but even though you'd think on the face of it he's the man most qualified to predict the outcome of that scenario, I'd argue that he's too close to it to give an unbiased view. It'd be a turkey voting for christmas for him to think we'd be fine with 85K less, but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't be.

If Gray's slashed budget is comparable with teams in mid table in the division then I'd be inclined to let him walk and fulfil his ambitions elsewhere, albeit with a heavy heart and a great deal of thanks for what he's done. His force of personality has undoubtedly been a big factor in how well we've done since we reformed, but I think it could now be damaging the long-term interests of the club.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 am

Darlogramps wrote: To say investment = inevitable implosion is patronising and wrong. Who's to say the investors won't be more like Graham Wood/the Bennetts at Gateshead, or Brad Groves at Spennymoor?
The trouble is that we've had investors three times in the last 20 years and it's always ended in tears.

Where are the rich people who just want to waste a load of their money just for the fuck of it?

At other clubs, we will never be that lucky.

Coming in to Darlo to propel us up to the league would cost millions.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:08 am

Quakerz wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: To say investment = inevitable implosion is patronising and wrong. Who's to say the investors won't be more like Graham Wood/the Bennetts at Gateshead, or Brad Groves at Spennymoor?
The trouble is that we've had investors three times in the last 20 years and it's always ended in tears.

Where are the rich people who just want to waste a load of their money just for the fuck of it?

At other clubs, we will never be that lucky.

Coming in to Darlo to propel us up to the league would cost millions.
The only time we have had an investor with money to burn was Reynolds. However he was a fruitcake and wasted the money on something that was never going to work. Houghton was only interested in the land around the arena, and as for Singh, who knows what his motivation was?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:My worry is BM. No guarantees of it being OK for EFL.
Spot on Vic
As long as it can be developed to Conf National standard then that will be good enough for the next decade.

We are not going to be near the league any time soon, even with a rich backer chucking a couple of hundred grand a season in on top.

The likes of Forest Green have serious money.