Darlington v Buxton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Buxton

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:25 am

loan_star wrote:A deal was agreed for Donowa but the player decided to go elsewhere. They are trying to get players in but it seems we aren’t an attractive option for most now.
Can understand players not wanting to commit on permanent deals, but surprised we cannot attract players on loan.Glass very much half empty if we cannot strengthen next week, surely there has to be players out there looking for game time.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:28 am

Players are going out on loan but the ones we have tried to get have chosen other clubs in better positions. Even players who want to get themselves in the shop window are choosing other options.
If only we hadn’t penny pinched last season!

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:35 pm

Robbo .. it may be tempting but don’t give Hazell motm this afternoon

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:47 pm

Team for this afternoon:

Young, Hedley, Lees, Barrow, Griffiths, Hatfield, Liddle, Rivers, Cornish, Curry, Main

Subs: Platt, Ngandu, Salkeld, Nelson, Lindley

Looks 4-4-2 ish to me. Slightly worried about us winning the ball back in midfield only really Hatfield that is a ball winner in there. But hopefully Curry and Main can get us on the front foot and score some goals.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 pm

we_8_poolie wrote:Robbo .. it may be tempting but don’t give Hazell motm this afternoon
For Buxton? Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 pm

And Nelson gets the winner. Just saying

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:29 pm

Well done Nella, particularly after Tuesday, made the equaliser and got the winner, doesn't get any better than that.Onto Tuesday, another massive game but all of a sudden we have a chance.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Pretty sure that is the first game we have won this season from a losing position. Time to break another hoodoo on Tuesday and win back to back games. It actually feels like we still have a chance of beating the drop, although it is still a big ask.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:01 pm

Huge relief. Despite the dominance of possession it did feel like we were going to let a poor Buxton side get away with a scrappy 1-0 victory with a silly own goal. You’ve got to give SW credit for the positive substitutions and Nelson even more credit for bouncing back in a really big way.

Gap is now at 5 points which is as low as it’s been for some time, plenty of winnable matches to go particularly at BM. This is 100% doable.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:02 pm

Life as a Darlo supporter, giving us some hope again! Now back it up Tuesday and ther really will be some!

Thought Griffiths was outstanding today, the clearance of the line at 0-1 effectively won us the game I reckon. Know he was involved in the mess up but overall thought the keeper gave us a lot more confidence at the back too. His distribution was excellent. Where do Sunderland get these 17 yr old keepers?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:17 pm

All players worked hard today but for bad luck in the first half we should have been a goal up before that mishap gave them the lead shows how bad this league is Buxton were very poor and wouldn't have scored by themselves, however Darlington fc came back and did win through their hard work and determination to get the win, Griffith's was a thorn in their side nelo showed whe can do he was peed of with himself after Tuesday missing so many, made it count today made a goal scored one ,
I always like Andy he will help save the season, well played all Darlington fc players fans management timely substitutions. Won onwards and uupwards come on darlo, :thumbup: 👍👍👍

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:02 pm

That was a real cannon-fire of a shot by Nelson to earn the Victory... sorry but it had to be done :D. Pleased that he made amends for Tuesday's misses and played such a key role in a crucial win. It clearly meant a lot to him. Maybe just the confidence booster he needed. We stuck at it despite the own goal sickener and deserved the win.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:07 pm

LoidLucan wrote:That was a real cannon-fire of a shot by Nelson to earn the Victory... sorry but it had to be done :D. Pleased that he made amends for Tuesday's misses and played such a key role in a crucial win. It clearly meant a lot to him. Maybe just the confidence booster he needed. We stuck at it despite the own goal sickener and deserved the win.
Terrific strike. Hopefully brings a bit of belief, not just to him but the rest of the side.

36 points to play for. We desperately need to string a few results together just to ease the pressure on individual moments.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:09 pm

A famous victory steered by Nelson - a shame useless seadogs couldn't score at Gloucester. Quakers might be holed below the bows and shipping water worse than Middlesbrough but with a fair wind and a salty dog in charge safe harbour after stormy sea and all that. Delighted for Nella.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:36 pm

For a long time looked like Buxton would benefit from a stupid mix-up of an OG but eventually with a couple of decent & timely subs, more attacking & forward passes, we were richly rewarded with 2 late goals to give us a glimmer of hope + 3 vital points.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:37 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:09 pm
A famous victory steered by Nelson - a shame useless seadogs couldn't score at Gloucester. Quakers might be holed below the bows and shipping water worse than Middlesbrough but with a fair wind and a salty dog in charge safe harbour after stormy sea and all that. Delighted for Nella.
Credit to Nelson, especially after Tuesday night’s misses. He definitely made the difference today and great for him to get on the scoreshee. I was beginning to think he would never score another goal, but delighted to be proven wrong.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:42 pm

That was a true “victory for football” 😀

Buxton shot themselves in the foot by pissing about when they could have chosen to play a bit.

There was a funny kit clash today, a little too similar for me.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:50 pm

To be fair to Craig Elliott he was very fair in his post-match interview and said he thought we played well and deserved our win. I almost felt guilty for telling him to enjoy the journey home ;)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:56 pm

As the saying goes, "it's great to come from behind"!!! Poor first half, but we played really well in the second half.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 pm

I didn't think we were that poor in the first half Pete.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm

50 years wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 pm
I didn't think we were that poor in the first half Pete.
Agreed we were the better team and they hadn’t threatened until the bizarre own goal. I thought in the second half,we were just starting to run out of ideas when out of the blue we scored. The timing was vital, as it lifted the players and the crowd, and it gave us the momentum to go on and win the game.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:00 pm

I thought Buxton were a strange and limited side. Their main (or maybe only) attacking threat seemed to be based largely around bringing their two 6ft 6in defenders forward for set-pieces. I don't recall them playing like that the day they demolished us when AA was absent to look after his son in that failed transfer trauma.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:30 pm

A great day out! Our £2 returns worth every penny. Drinks in town, food in the market, met up with lots of old faces and topped it all with a brilliant win!! Roll on Tuesday. So pleased to see Nelson do well and what's the odds of a Young in both goals?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:13 am

How often do you watch Darlo come from behind to win and we score all 3 goals?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 am

Ideally we have to follow this up with points at Curzon, we just need to keep in touch with the others above even if they have games in hand scoreboard pressure can count. SW is getting far more out of the team than at any point during the season and if only he'd been given the job as Armstrong's successor it's more than likely we wouldn't have slipped to the depths we've left ourselves in.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:58 am

We have won 4 games of the 10 we have played under Watson. That is the same number of wins as the previous incumbents managed in 24 games, so there has been a measurable improvement recently. I think we really need to be trying to tie Watson and Mitchell down to be here next season, regardless of which league we are playing in. I think they should be able to build a team that is either capable of holding their own in NLN or being promotion contenders in the league below.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:01 am

Good result yesterday. And sounded thoroughly deserved. Pleased for Nelson to get his goal and it was very well taken, but we need more from him before the end of the season. Glad to see Curry there at the back post to tap in the equaliser too. Since the turn of the year he's got some important goals and taken them well. The lad can clearly finish when give the chances.

4 points from our next 2 games could really put some pressure on those above us, on that basis a point at Curzon on Tuesday and a win v Banbury on Saturday would be a good weeks work. Rushall seem to be struggling having lost Waldron to Solihull, similarly Banbury are basically playing twice a week to the end of the season now due to the regular flooding of their pitch add any more postponements and they could be playing 3 times a week which is a massive ask for a small squad.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:58 am
I think we really need to be trying to tie Watson and Mitchell down to be here next season, regardless of which league we are playing in. I think they should be able to build a team that is either capable of holding their own in NLN or being promotion contenders in the league below.
I look at this issue the other way. I'm sure the club will do all they can to "tie him down" but does he want to stay? Will he want to stay?

Has he seen things back stage he doesn't like? Has he, or will he get a better offer?

The ball is in his court I reckon.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:49 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am
Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:58 am
I think we really need to be trying to tie Watson and Mitchell down to be here next season, regardless of which league we are playing in. I think they should be able to build a team that is either capable of holding their own in NLN or being promotion contenders in the league below.
I look at this issue the other way. I'm sure the club will do all they can to "tie him down" but does he want to stay? Will he want to stay?

Has he seen things back stage he doesn't like? Has he, or will he get a better offer?

The ball is in his court I reckon.
Maybe, but he was out of work for a while before he joined us.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:34 pm

Spyman wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:That was a real cannon-fire of a shot by Nelson to earn the Victory... sorry but it had to be done :D. Pleased that he made amends for Tuesday's misses and played such a key role in a crucial win. It clearly meant a lot to him. Maybe just the confidence booster he needed. We stuck at it despite the own goal sickener and deserved the win.
Terrific strike. Hopefully brings a bit of belief, not just to him but the rest of the side.

36 points to play for. We desperately need to string a few results together just to ease the pressure on individual moments.

Will 67 points be enough to get us into the playoffs ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk