Southport v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Southport v Darlo

Post by JE93 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 am

First mid-week of the season. Will be interesting to see how much the squad is rotated with the visit of fast starting Banbury to come on Saturday. There certainly some options to change things from an attacking sense with the likes of Rivers, Felix and Maddison available and fresh. Less so from a MF and Defensive stand point.

Bit of a mixed start from Southport, 5:3 win vs Boston on the opening day followed by a 3:0 home loss to Peterborough Sports where they were 1-0 down within 2 minutes. As a fan pointed out on their forum they had conceded 6 goals in 135 minutes (second half vs Boston + Peterborough Sports game).

Going to stay positive and say a 2-1 Darlo win. Would be a really positive start to have 7 points from 3 games and set us up well for what is looking like a tough game on Saturday.

Darlopartisan

Re: Southport v Darlo

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 am

JE93 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 am
First mid-week of the season. Will be interesting to see how much the squad is rotated with the visit of fast starting Banbury to come on Saturday. There certainly some options to change things from an attacking sense with the likes of Rivers, Felix and Maddison available and fresh. Less so from a MF and Defensive stand point.

Bit of a mixed start from Southport, 5:3 win vs Boston on the opening day followed by a 3:0 home loss to Peterborough Sports where they were 1-0 down within 2 minutes. As a fan pointed out on their forum they had conceded 6 goals in 135 minutes (second half vs Boston + Peterborough Sports game).

Going to stay positive and say a 2-1 Darlo win. Would be a really positive start to have 7 points from 3 games and set us up well for what is looking like a tough game on Saturday.
Would be brilliant to get a good result tonight, would like to see Felix start, and give Maddison a good 30 minutes

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:13 am

Not sure we have that many options to make many changes. Pretty sure AA will want Wheater and Lawlor in the centre of defence to nullify the likely threat of high balls into our penalty area. Wonder if Sukar could also start to bolster the height of the defence. Felix must also be pushing for a start, possibly at the expense of Mondal. Beyond that I am not sure there are likely to be many changes, unless Rose is regaining fitness,although more likely to be on the bench.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:06 pm

Southport are a classic example of how sentiment can change so quickly in football. After the opening day, Liam Watson could do no wrong and they were looking forward to a great season after demolishing Boston. But after being tonked by Peterboro Sports with a terrible performance some fans were describing their manager as a hoofball dinosaur and saying he was now past his sell-by date. I'm sure our fans would have been much more restrained and patient.... yeah, right :D

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:37 pm

Looking forward to this. Never done Southport away before.
We’ve got a car full going down.

Up the Darlo.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:44 pm

Tough place to go on a Tuesday night, particularly after such a tough game physically on Saturday. Would be delighted with a draw.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:48 pm

Hoping to make this one today as it’s one of my closer games. Seen a few trains cancelled from Manchester already today so hope I don’t get stranded in Southport! 😂

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:30 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:44 pm
Tough place to go on a Tuesday night, particularly after such a tough game physically on Saturday. Would be delighted with a draw.
Correct a draw would be a decent result, but lets not be looking for excuses before the game is even played. Sure we had a tough game on Saturday but so did Southport, so no excuses there. Looked like we finished the game strongly against Chorley so hopefully we will prove to be a fitter and more durable team than in previous seasons.
Hoping for a win, possibly 2-0 with our first clean sheet.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:23 pm

Think there may be a rebound from the shock Peterborough Sports gave them, so hope we can stay tight for 1st quarter & nick a goal but keep a clean sheet ourselves. Already better start for us than last year.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:28 pm

Poor game tonight, first half we did not deserve to be behind to what was a scrappy goal, but game was not a classic. As with the other two games, but more so in this one, we passed the ball to the yellow shirts time and again. Headley playing in right back position struggled to hit a red shirt most of the match, (he was not the only one). In fact at times i thought we must train in yellow shirts with some of the easy passes we made to them. Second half when Southport were down to 10 men we had a couple of chances, but so did they, they won nearly every 2nd ball and wanted the ball more than us and were as with other games physically stronger than us, therefore they deserved the win, ( first home win in 11 games). We really struggle with this diamond shape in mid field with the fullbacks often isolated both in defence and when attacking on the wings.

Lambert had a really good game and had the 2 good chances in the second half. Purser ran his heart out again.

Hoping the team can get to grips with the formation soon as we have in all 3 games been easy to pass through midfield where we are out numbered. AA is not one to shout advice to the team from the sidelines and today was no exception, even though we were struggling to organise against the 10 men, so do need some leaders on the pitch from somewhere.

PolamLane

Post by PolamLane » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:45 pm

Agree with 50Years in all he said......huge gaps between defence and the front 3 at times....... Best i have seen Lambert play but wasted in the left of a diamond. A traditional 442 might be a sensible try with possibly Maddison to start on the right....he makes very good runs but like tonight he never got the ball where he wanted it.... Beck tried hard but usually had to deal with a long ball out to him. The Soutport goal was poor defensively...all 11 Darlo lads in the box and the ball was allowed to travel through the box and just hit their MoM and trickle in.

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 pm

Awful goal to concede that. Basic defending would have enabled the ball to be cleared, instead the cross was allowed to hit a Southport player and roll slowly into the net.

The formation is not working so far, Felix was given the role of playing behind the front 2 and hardly did anything all match. We were overrun in midfield once again as Southport had a man extra every time and picked up most of the loose balls.

Hedley gave the ball away again and again, terrible performance from him.

Southport saw Beck as the dangerman and had 2 defenders on him every time he went up for a header.

The home side showed more energy and passion and wanted it more, even when they went down to 10 men.

Darlington's passing was awful for most of the match, misplaced passes, the wrong option with the pass and no cohesion at all.

A very poor performance from Darlo tonight.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 am

Last 2 posts ay it all. No mention of Hazel . Felix never up to speed did he come back for the ball ,hardly mentioned.should Saturday turn out another no show from the team I don't know where the team can go.
Very disappointed with that display.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 am

Got to agree with the above summaries.Not sure where this diamond fad has come from but it’s not really working imo. If we play 442 it gives us options out wide (Felix, Maddison, Lambert, Rivers) but it needs two excellent central midfielders that can both break up play and get forward. The usual criticism of this formation is that we are outnumbered through the middle. Last year he seemed to favour a 433 which beefs up the middle but takes away width. Felix didn’t look like a no 10 last night. It was a bad night at the office. I liked the look of Sukar and Lambert ran himself into the ground. Purver was busy too and occupied the defensive CM role pretty well. I thought Maddison looked intelligent and worth a slot out wide. Early days…some positives but am worried AA will be stubborn with this formation

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 am

Agree with above completely.
Like I said after first game it feels like AA has decided to play both Beck and Hazel but cannot come up with a system to get best out of them. Pre season should have been about getting a set way of playing and drilling that formation into the players. Feels like we are trying to do that in real games.
Just repeating myself, but for me he has to play one of them with two wide players and an extra man in midfield in a 433. We get outnumbered and out battled too easily in midfield and have little width as neither full back has an attacking style.
He also must have known that Rose was some weeks off full fitness yet has left us with basically 2 recognised midfielders in whole squad yet 7/8 attackers.
Not doubting the potential ability of our attacking players for one minute but sorry, he has got this bit of his recruitment wrong again. We have an unbalanced squad at moment.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:56 am

We had some really good periods last night but once again seemed to struggle with putting the ball into the box or having a shot from outside-so many sloppy passes. We hardly troubled their keeper with what should be a deadly strike force. Lambert and Purver worked their socks off and the defence looks solid, just need to sort that diamond out or maybe give up on it and can't wait to see Maddison fully fit. Early days, tenth and only just behind the leaders. Very decent turnout for a Tuesday, well done all. At least the weather was better than last time.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:17 am

In the last few minutes it summed it up for me , ball thru from Maddison to Mondal 50/50 and he jumps out way of keeper instead of coming across and forcing the penalty , then Sukar has a 50/50 ball and shys out the tackle on a smaller player, makes my blood boil and Sukar was bullied; they wanted it, we didn't and along with Hedley who I hate to say was getting on other peoples backs complaining why they never made his wayward passes is not great to see.
Thought Wheater was excellent there were a few balls over the top and I honestly thought he would not make it in a foot race but he was astounding.Lambert, Beck worked their socks off and on another day a hatful.
Agree there were large gaps in midfield especially second half when Moke left but I think we could be playing this morning and not score.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:19 am

Just watched Aluns interview. He seems quite positive but disappointed talking about bad luck etc.

Certainly different pov to what I’m reading on here from some of you who were at the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am

I wasn’t at the game last night, but having listened to AA’s post match interview it seems he was at a different game to the posters on here. He thinks we dominated possession and finds it hard to find fault with the team, and all down to lacking a bit of quality in the final third.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:42 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am
I wasn’t at the game last night, but having listened to AA’s post match interview it seems he was at a different game to the posters on here. He thinks we dominated possession and finds it hard to find fault with the team, and all down to lacking a bit of quality in the final third.
And in the middle third!

Disappointed with Felix, especially after he got his place in starting line-up. Whatever formation AA is trying, it isn't working & he has to chamge it soon

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 am

We are 4 points better off than at this time last season - give it time!

Look at the league table so far , Boston , Kiddy , Brackley all below us. Our squad is much better than last season , granted it is a little forward heavy but I’d put money on it that AA is working on that

Let’s see where we are after 7-8 games

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:08 am

Lallacab wrote:We are 4 points better off than at this time last season - give it time!

Look at the league table so far , Boston , Kiddy , Brackley all below us. Our squad is much better than last season , granted it is a little forward heavy but I’d put money on it that AA is working on that

Undoubtedly so but the pmi seems to be poles apart from fan experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:11 am

Didn't think we dominated any part of that game to be honest, we looked flat and no signs of creating much.

Southport looked more drilled, organised and wanted it more especially after going down to 10 men.

Was impressed with Maddison when he come on, looked to add a bit of life to that midfield.

Need a reaction on Saturday. We go again.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 am

It's very unusual for me to see two of the first three games and I agree it's early days but there's a number of us saying the same thing, strong at the back, great attacking options but the midfield isn't working despite the great efforts of Lambert and Purver. Have a shot, get decent crosses in but make some tweaks to strengthen the midfield. I'm all for giving time but we really shouldn't have lost last night and we hardly bothered their keeper.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 am

Lallacab wrote:We are 4 points better off than at this time last season - give it time!

I think our league could be wide open this year with some surprising results already and have a feeling we don't have a team that will dominate like Gateshead last season.Just watched the Banbury/Fylde highlights and Banbury could have had 6 at least.They are very workmanlike and give you no time on the ball so we will have to be at our best to get the 3 points.They are certainly no pushovers.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:19 am

Pleased with our start to the season and IF we can get a win on Saturday then we will be in a good poistion in the table. RE last night i thought we were outfought in midfield, Bainbridge (their MOM midfielder) bossed it IMO, while im happy with signings AA has made i do feel the team is very disjointed and that our problems lie in Midfield.

We are top heavy in terms of attackers and it will be impossible to keep all of them happy as we cant play all at once etc, personally id move Rivers and Mondal on and try and find another comabtive midfielder with the freed up wages.

hoping for a good result on Sat but i am concerned about our midfeld and formation going forward. One final thing Maddison must start soon as his passing quality in the final 3rd is very much needed!
Last edited by Heaton out on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:22 am

Moke always gives 110% I think we lost a bit when he was subbed.i like that he rarely losses in a tackle comes away with the ball more often than not.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am

I think AA's interview is pretty fair. To be honest it was a real surprise that they found themselves in front at half-time with a fluke off someone's arse after we had played well enough and had two goals chalked off. In the second half we did lack a bit of quality with the final ball in and around the box and gave the ball away too much and it meant we didn't open them up as much as we should have. Lambert should have scored with a header and hit another chance too close to the keeper. A draw would have been a fair result.

To be fair to Southport they were transformed from their terrible performance on Saturday and were back to the kind of physical, battling, scrapping kind of football that they can produce. It's still very early days and I'm not unduly worried by last night.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:00 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am
I think AA's interview is pretty fair. To be honest it was a real surprise that they found themselves in front at half-time with a fluke off someone's arse after we had played well enough and had two goals chalked off. In the second half we did lack a bit of quality with the final ball in and around the box and gave the ball away too much and it meant we didn't open them up as much as we should have. Lambert should have scored with a header and hit another chance too close to the keeper. A draw would have been a fair result.

To be fair to Southport they were transformed from their terrible performance on Saturday and were back to the kind of physical, battling, scrapping kind of football that they can produce. It's still very early days and I'm not unduly worried by last night.
I disagree with you about AA's interview. There were far more negatives than positives from last night's game and that's not what
he says in the interview. Regards your point that Southport were "typically physical" that is worrying given that pretty much man for man we had far bigger players and should have not allowed them to win the 50/50s. Beck worked really hard but often was trying to win the ball miles from their penalty area which is not his job. I think we could have sneaked draw but certainly didn't deserve a win.

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:50 am

I don't think Darlington were unlucky to lose last night.

Southport weren't very good but they battled for every single ball and more often than not came away with the ball. They seemed to be more up for the match than Darlington and played as a team and to their strengths. Even with 10 men they were the better side.

Southport's tactics negated Beck's influence and they packed the midfield playing in a 4-5-1 formation against Darlington's 3 in midfield. That meant whilst Moke, Purver and Lambert tried hard, they were outnumbered.

Against Chorley and Southport the player playing behind the front 2 for Darlington has been totally ineffective and it has meant that Darlington have more or less been playing with 10 men.