Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:35 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Would be amazed if we hadn’t tried for Lowe, Woods, Allen, Cooper, O’Donnell, Felix, Wearne etc. All good players who would have added value in positions that most of us have said we need strengthening.
Totally accept that some will have gone to full time clubs which we cannot compete with and of course it is pure conjecture as to whether we we tried for them….
Errr…..in your last post you said there were 5/6 who’d turned us down that we “know” of.

Now you admit it’s pure conjecture on your part.

I don’t mind people being concerned about transfers if that’s their honest opinion (although I think making three permanent signings already, and having a decent squad of 15 already is nothing like last summer, where it was a complete rebuild).

What isn’t on though is you making up that we’ve transfer bids, only to admit it’s conjecture when challenged. Let’s at least keep our opinions based on facts - that’s surely a reasonable request.

FWIW - in the pre-season pictures posted on social media over the weekend, I counted at least 23 players taking part. Some of those could have been youth players, but there’s also the potential a handful of triallists were among them.

Like the majority in this thread, I’m not concerned at this stage.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Re: Potential new signings

Post by onewayup » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:42 pm

There will be news this week I have no doubt about that. Speculation is just that speculation let not flap just wait and all will be revealed. An awful lot of unseen work has been going on with long hours put in by those in the club to attract players who AA mark as potential incoming .. Darlington FC won't be left at the starting gate this season all Will be ready for the off.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:12 pm

Come on Gramps your better than this!
Talk about twisting words…… “ another one which would be surprised at if he was not after” becomes me supposedly having some insider knowledge of the clubs definite transfer bids and misleading people.
Maybe my grammar wasn’t the best, give you that, but don’t pick on stupid things.
Sticking with my opinion ( thanks for not minding if people have an honest opinion) that we will have tried for a number of these players and being disappointed that he could not persuade one or two.

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:26 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Come on Gramps your better than this!
Talk about twisting words…… “ another one which would be surprised at if he was not after” becomes me supposedly having some insider knowledge of the clubs definite transfer bids and misleading people.
Maybe my grammar wasn’t the best, give you that, but don’t pick on stupid things.
I’ve done nothing of the sort.

If anything, it’s you who’s doing the twisting of words by making out I’m claiming you have insider knowledge. I’m actually doing the opposite. I’m saying you have no right to criticise AA for not persuading players to join, when you don’t know (and “know” is the key word) he was even interested in them.

You‘ve taken some names from this thread and made the leap that we’ve been rejected by 5/6 of them “that we know of”. Those are literally your words. Not just me but Emdubya and others took it that way.

All you’re basing it on is (to paraphrase your latest rant) ‘I think he’s the type of player we’d be in for’ - again you admit this yourself. Yet other than Lowe, you do not KNOW about any other bids - you conceded that in your next post after being challenged by a couple of people in this thread.

As I say, if your issue is the pace at which we’re doing deals, well that’s a more legitimate opinion (at least you can base it on something factual), albeit one the majority in this thread including myself disagree with.

But you’re saying you’re disappointed AA hasn’t persuaded any of the players to join, without actually knowing we made offers for them. It’s ridiculous and unreasonable to criticise someone based on your own assumptions, rather than actual facts.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:51 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:12 pm
Come on Gramps your better than this!
Sticking with my opinion ( thanks for not minding if people have an honest opinion) that we will have tried for a number of these players and being disappointed that he could not persuade one or two.
I think Gramps might be a troll 👀

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 pm

So pre season is often about speculation, conjecture, ifs and buts as to we may or may not be signing. Very little is based on fact because rightly so us fans have no idea really.

In my opinion, and that’s all it is, I personally would be amazed if AA had not tried for a number of those players mentioned and obviously hasn’t been successful, so feel disappointed in that respect as would have strengthened the team. Is he still in for some good players, am sure he is and hope he gets them.

If you personally only want to deal in known hard facts then I agree, he was in for Lowe and missed out which again is disappointing as he brought something to the team which we don’t have and liked the look of him.

Too early in pre season to get into a longer argument with you so signing off to train up for the start of the season😁.

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm

Quakerlad wrote:So pre season is often about speculation, conjecture, ifs and buts as to we may or may not be signing. Very little is based on fact because rightly so us fans have no idea really.
That’s not a justification to make up that we’ve been rejected by 5 players, and use that made up fact to criticise the manager.

It’s unbelievably cowardly to question AA’s ability to do his job using made-up facts from the safety of your own keyboard. You wouldn’t dare do that in person.
Quakerlad wrote: If you personally only want to deal in known hard facts then I agree, he was in for Lowe and missed out which again is disappointing as he brought something to the team which we don’t have and liked the look of him.
Lowe left for a full-time club who can pay more. Hard to compete with that.

Quakerlad wrote: Too early in pre season to get into a longer argument with you so signing off to train up for the start of the seasonImage.
Or you’ve realised you’re behaving like a prick, can’t justify yourself but lack the spine to admit you’re in the wrong.

Seriously, I don’t mind a bit of knockabout over opinions and disagreements. But it is massively out of order to make things up in order to slag off the manager.

More than happy to leave it there but I suspect people will come away from this thread with a lesser opinion of you.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:45 pm

Yeh sure it will be me and not you, and as to who is behaving like a prick, agree let’s leave it to other people to decide. Goodnight.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm
Quakerlad wrote:So pre season is often about speculation, conjecture, ifs and buts as to we may or may not be signing. Very little is based on fact because rightly so us fans have no idea really.
That’s not a justification to make up that we’ve been rejected by 5 players, and use that made up fact to criticise the manager.

It’s unbelievably cowardly to question AA’s ability to do his job using made-up facts from the safety of your own keyboard. You wouldn’t dare do that in person.
Quakerlad wrote: If you personally only want to deal in known hard facts then I agree, he was in for Lowe and missed out which again is disappointing as he brought something to the team which we don’t have and liked the look of him.
Lowe left for a full-time club who can pay more. Hard to compete with that.

Quakerlad wrote: Too early in pre season to get into a longer argument with you so signing off to train up for the start of the seasonImage.
Or you’ve realised you’re behaving like a prick, can’t justify yourself but lack the spine to admit you’re in the wrong.

Seriously, I don’t mind a bit of knockabout over opinions and disagreements. But it is massively out of order to make things up in order to slag off the manager.

More than happy to leave it there but I suspect people will come away from this thread with a lesser opinion of you.
And you call me a troll… you literally ruin this forum

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:57 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Yeh sure it will be me and not you, and as to who is behaving like a prick, agree let’s leave it to other people to decide. Goodnight.
Second time you’ve said that….

You keep making things up to slag people from behind your keyboard. Then runaway when called out. Shown your true colours there I’m afraid. Weak and cowardly.
darloed19 wrote:
Nope, thin-skinned posters like you and Quakerlad, who can’t handle people disagreeing with you, are the problem.

Perhaps if you didn’t take criticisms of your opinions so personally, you’d enjoy this forum more. I’m just adding to the debate by questioning your opinion.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:57 pm
Quakerlad wrote:Yeh sure it will be me and not you, and as to who is behaving like a prick, agree let’s leave it to other people to decide. Goodnight.
Second time you’ve said that….

You keep making things up to slag people from behind your keyboard. Then runaway when called out. Shown your true colours there I’m afraid. Weak and cowardly.
darloed19 wrote:
Nope, thin-skinned posters like you and Quakerlad, who can’t handle people disagreeing with you are the problem.

Perhaps if you didn’t take criticisms of your opinions so personally, you’d enjoy this forum more. I’m just adding to the debate by questioning your opinion.
When I Ty you call me a troll so no winning with you lad

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 pm

Mark Becks was in Newcastle I’m assuming as he was with Gillespie today (source Instagram) I feel he will go Gateshead.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 pm
Mark Becks was in Newcastle I’m assuming as he was with Gillespie today (source Instagram) I feel he will go Gateshead.
He lives in Sunderland, maybe he was having some downtime and a catch up with friends?

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:44 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 pm
darloed19 wrote:
He lives in Sunderland, maybe he was having some downtime and a catch up with friends?
I did not know that, well then you’re probably right

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 pm

darloed19 wrote:
They’ve been good mates since they were at Carlisle together. It’s between us and Shields for Beck.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:12 pm

darloed19 wrote:
I (and others) think you’re a troll because you post daft things to get a reaction like: “It’s mid-June and we’ve clearly not finished all our signings but we’re going to finish bottom half” or “I’ve been a fan for 15 years but why do people dislike Raj Singh?”. There are other examples.

You bring it all on yourself so take a bit of responsibility instead of blaming other people all the time.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
darloed19 wrote:
They’ve been good mates since they were at Carlisle together. It’s between us and Shields for Beck.
Now you’re getting my hopes up. The thought of Beck and Hazel up front together would be amazing. Just hope our previous relationship with Beck can swing it for us, over the inevitable massive wage packet Shields will be offering.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:12 pm
darloed19 wrote:
I (and others) think you’re a troll because you post daft things to get a reaction like: “It’s mid-June and we’ve clearly not finished all our signings but we’re going to finish bottom half” or “I’ve been a fan for 15 years but why do people dislike Raj Singh?”. There are other examples.

You bring it all on yourself so take a bit of responsibility instead of blaming other people all the time.
I just wanted to know more context behind Raj and the situation we were in

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 am
Darlogramps wrote:
darloed19 wrote:

Did you not say you have been a fan for 15 years? In which case you should have all the context you need about Radged.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:41 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am
darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 am
Darlogramps wrote:
darloed19 wrote:

Did you not say you have been a fan for 15 years? In which case you should have all the context you need about Radged.
Sigh

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 am

Back on track, I have had a premonition that we might sign an attacking midfielder/ winger who has scored goals at a much higher level. All a bit hazy but seems to have something to do with confectionery. The initials M M keep occurring in my mind. Can anyone enlighten me?

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 am
Back on track, I have had a premonition that we might sign an attacking midfielder/ winger who has scored goals at a much higher level. All a bit hazy but seems to have something to do with confectionery. The initials M M keep occurring in my mind. Can anyone enlighten me?
Sadly, we missed out on Mason Mount. I'm suprised Quakerlad didn't mention it.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:51 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 am
Sadly, we missed out on Mason Mount. I'm suprised Quakerlad didn't mention it.
Pity. Marcus Maddison will have to do in that case.
Could have been worse I thought it might have been Michael McIntyre 🤣

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:24 pm

Updated list of players and we've got a potential line up of:
Taylor,
Griffiths, Wheater, Lawlor, Hedley,
Moke, Rose, Purver,
Mondal, Hazel, Lambert.

Bench of:
Martin, KDS, Sukar, Rivers, Maddison.

Add in a Mark Beck (if we are in for him) or similar type of player and a decent CB as cover, then we've got a decent squad there.

Still waiting on Joey Hope extending his deal or not.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:11 pm

I recall that Andrew Nelson and Omar Sanyang were to be invited back for pre-season training "to help with their rehab". I wonder if this was just to help them out, or with the hope of adding them to the squad at some point, depending on how they progress.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Happy to admit for Gramps sake that I am now pleased we didn’t sign a couple of the attacking midfielders I thought we may have missed out on😁.
Get this guy back to fitness and could be one of the best in league.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:59 pm

With his head in the right place, and fully fit, he would be THE best in the league.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:11 pm
I recall that Andrew Nelson and Omar Sanyang were to be invited back for pre-season training "to help with their rehab". I wonder if this was just to help them out, or with the hope of adding them to the squad at some point, depending on how they progress.
Probably both.

Inviting them to pre season training is no cost to the club, and if they show they have recovered and have ability puts Darlington in pole position to sign them if the club wants them

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:06 pm

By my reckoning we now have a first team squad of 16. Listening Alan’s interview he did say that our signings this season have not come cheap and the budget had been stretched a bit. Wonder if there is a change of approach this time around we are going to operate on a smaller squad, with a few less bodies and hopefully more quality. I would hope to see another central defender and striker coming in and that might be it for now. Having said that he did talk of one or two ins and outs so maybe there will be some leaving to create more scope for new additions.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:06 pm
By my reckoning we now have a first team squad of 16. Listening Alan’s interview he did say that our signings this season have not come cheap and the budget had been stretched a bit. Wonder if there is a change of approach this time around we are going to operate on a smaller squad, with a few less bodies and hopefully more quality. I would hope to see another central defender and striker coming in and that might be it for now. Having said that he did talk of one or two ins and outs so maybe there will be some leaving to create more scope for new additions.
If that’s the case will it be Mondal and Rivers who will be leaving? Unlikely to be Dos Santos or Purver.