New signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

New signing

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:00 am

Marcus Maddison signs for Darlo, if he can find his form again he will be some player!

Piggy_

Re: New signing

Post by Piggy_ » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:11 am

If he can anywhere near his Peterboro form we will have some player on our hands.
Hopefully the break he took from the game has done him the world of good.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:13 am

He’s only 28, which is a bit mental. Exciting signing for sure, he’s either going to flop or be a huge success. I can’t imagine a middle ground.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:25 am

Potentially a great signing and shows that Alun is continuing to carefully add quality to the squad. Interesting to see that he's scored 82 goals in 321 games whilst Mark Beck has 76 in 338 and he's seen as an attacking midfielder.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:27 am

Like Marcus and AA say , gets himself match fit, and the desire back, it’s going to be some signing .
Totally left field signing love it.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:37 am

Maddison and Hazel is actually sexually

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:58 am

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:37 am
Maddison and Hazel is actually sexually
:shock: :shock:

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:10 am

Wow! Potentially an incredible signing.

If this is doesn't quieten the clowns desperate for news then nothing will.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:19 am

I'm sure that Darlolad will have something negative to say about it.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:03 am

Wow this is an unexpected signing,potentially the best since Gabbiadini. Marcus Maddison was a real star at Peterborough a few years ago and if he can regain even some of that form he will be devastating in our league. Obviously had his problems and fallen out of love with the game for a while, and it is a risk, but if it comes off will be brilliant.
It seems he approached us as he wanted to come back up north. If he settles in and starts enjoying his football again it will be great for him and great for us. Good luck Marcus we wish you well and hope you feel the love from our fans.

Darlogramps

New signing

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 am

H1987 wrote:He’s only 28, which is a bit mental. Exciting signing for sure, he’s either going to flop or be a huge success. I can’t imagine a middle ground.
I think you’ve got it spot on. If his head is in the right place and his attitude is right, he’s got the potential to rip up the league.

The danger is he has a slow start, some of the neanderthals in our fanbase get on his back and he struggles.

It’s a gamble but if it pays off, he’ll be a spectacular success.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am

The good thing is we don't need him to be a starting eleven player on day one, however being in full pre-season gives him the opportunity to slowly build up and perhaps be ready.

I agree with the brilliant or flop scenario, he has every opportunity and it is all down to the player. It's a gamble from AA and obviously not knowing Maddison's contract situation (which could be an issue if a flop), I would probably take the gamble also.

By the time the season starts we probably will have our strongest squad for some time on paper, getting them to perform on the pitch is AA's challenge.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 am
H1987 wrote:He’s only 28, which is a bit mental. Exciting signing for sure, he’s either going to flop or be a huge success. I can’t imagine a middle ground.
I think you’ve got it spot on. If his head is in the right place and his attitude is right, he’s got the potential to rip up the league.

The danger is he has a slow start, some of the neanderthals in our fanbase get on his back and he struggles.

Agreed few bad games and his morale may drop again

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:49 am

Signed after sending an Instagram message to the club asking if he could play for us, shows that he wants to settle back in the North East and start too enjoy his football again.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:18 am

Wow this is some signing, lets just hope the lads settles and feels happy etc, serious talent, hopefully AA can get the best out of him, if so we will be laughing!!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 am

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 am

Agreed few bad games and his morale may drop again
I thought I was a bit of a pessimist at times, but you really are a glass half empty guy. Of course he comes with risks attached, but I trust that AA will manage him in such a way that will bring the best out of him. I believe that our fans will embrace him and help him to succeed, and if he is struggling our management team will ease him in gently.
Lets all take a positive view, without overburdening him with unrealistic expectations, and get behind him. I am excited to have him on board.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 am

Hope the kid falls back in love with the game again, we know the ability is there, it’s just a mental thing with him now. If we can add a couple more before the season we are looking good. Alun has said there is no need to panic as now he has 15 players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:35 am

On paper, that's an absolutely insane signing. Remember watching him for Gateshead years ago in the league above & he stormed it.

As others have said, get him fully fit & the right mental attitude - Then we have a mint player on our hands.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:37 am

If he’s liking his football again this is some signing and will make us a lot of money. If he isn’t it shows we still have pull to get players of his calibre. Him signing will show we are a club for them to come to. Is this our 21st Century Marco moment?
Welcome Marcus and enjoy yourself.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:41 am

CAM sorted now like to see:
2x CBS one who can play anywhere along the back line
1x cm
1x st

Don’t think we need a winger with having lambert dos santos rivers and Mondal, but wouldn’t moan about singing another one.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am
The good thing is we don't need him to be a starting eleven player on day one, however being in full pre-season gives him the opportunity to slowly build up and perhaps be ready.
I remember Gabbiadini's first appearance in a Darlo shirt at Billingham Town in a pre-season friendly. He looked a bit saggy and someway behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness but by the start of the season he had caught up and had a phenomenal season. So it's important we have realistic expectations for Maddison during pre-season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 am

This sort of signing has got to excite people. The fact he wanted to play for us also I hope says a lot for his character and his motivation.

We know there are teams who were closer to home and could have paid him more that he could have reached out to.

Hopefully just wants to enjoy his football again in a club that is still rebuilding.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am
I remember Gabbiadini's first appearance in a Darlo shirt at Billingham Town in a pre-season friendly. He looked a bit saggy and someway behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness but by the start of the season he had caught up and had a phenomenal season. So it's important we have realistic expectations for Maddison during pre-season.
My memory differs to yours Maurice. I remember that he wasn't quite with it at the start of his first season and that (to me) he didn't look overly special.

However after the season got going properly he then started to show us all his goal scoring skills. The second half of his first season and the first half of his second season, that's when excelled.

So in a way I'm agreeing with you re Maddison, perhaps he might need a little longer than pre season to bed in.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am

Great signing.Hope to see him in action at Guiseley

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:59 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am
My memory differs to yours Maurice. I remember that he wasn't quite with it at the start of his first season and that (to me) he didn't look overly special.

However after the season got going properly he then started to show us all his goal scoring skills. The second half of his first season and the first half of his second season, that's when excelled.

So in a way I'm agreeing with you re Maddison, perhaps he might need a little longer than pre season to bed in.
I think you're right that "he wasn't quite with it at the start" in that he didn't score until his 5th match, but he did go on to score 23 league goals in his first season. But I think we agree that supporters need to be patient with Maddison if he doesn't start with a bang during preseason.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm

Was a absolute waste when marcus maddison went from league 1 to the 8th tier. Think it was more mental than physical issues. As he simply wants to get back into the game im sure hes not demanding too high of a wage
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:45 pm

Being only 28 also has the benefit that if he does rediscover his old form, he'll surely attract interest being a relatively big name, and isn't too old to attract a fee.

If we can get 2 or 3 good seasons out of him though, terrific signing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:26 pm

Anyone know details of contract length?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:38 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:26 pm