Fans Forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JasonDeVos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fans Forum

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:17 pm

Wonder if someone will ask why a fan owned community club has yet again become part of the Tory PR machine??

Was it another free shirt given out??

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:17 pm
Wonder if someone will ask why a fan owned community club has yet again become part of the Tory PR machine??

Thought the same myself. Not happy with it :wtf:

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:

Maybe as they’re the government in charge of the country, town and region council, and our MP is Tory, it is a good idea to see what we can get from them?

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:28 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:

Maybe as they’re the government in charge of the country, town and region council, and our MP is Tory, it is a good idea to see what we can get from them?
Absolutely- let’s just pimp the club out and see what we get (or don’t).

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:31 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 am
4. The unattractive nature of our level (Kettering at home on a January Saturday afternoon hardly screams glamour).
Do you think that Stevenage, Barrow or Harrogate have any more glamour attached to them?

This isn't actually aimed directly at you particukarly. Should have been positioned "Does anyone think that..."
Barrow, home or away should always be a must get to if I can for every Darlo fan since 2012. A lot of us will never forget that day and I think many have a lasting affection for the club because of the days full events Especially that banner.

Ps pretending I am someone who loves to argue with you, what the devil does particukarly mean?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:38 pm

Is this relevant ED? To the fans forum and the future outlook?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 pm
Not as we do, where the rugby club get most of the profit and we only get a % of the take.
Agree - but we also carry none of the risk. They pay all the costs of sales including staffing whether things are sold or not so they are entitled to some profit.

Seem to recall we increased prices by whatever it was to increase our cut and it lead to uproar that the rugby club would have the cheek to not provide us that service at cost.
I did not point this out to rekindle any argument over the rugby club. I was simply pointing out that other clubs have financial streams not available to us in the situation we find ourselves in, and this was an easy 1 that comes to mind.
At the Kcom everything is itemised. Neither club pays the entire costs. The stadium has a set number of staff on a daily basis,(all area's), that cost is covered by the clubs' rents. Then all extra staff needed for matchdays, food and drink used, etc are accurately billed to each club.
Likewise, both clubs gain income via the pitchside electronic boards that we do not have running all around the pitch. Go to a rugby match and you will see totally different add's on the boards compared to the football club. Each club pays a % of the upkeep of the boards and keeps the profit after that.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:28 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:

Absolutely- let’s just pimp the club out and see what we get (or don’t).
This thread has literally been about how the club can advance, improve the stadium, etc. And then as soon as the club talks to the Secretary of State for SPORT people moan about it. It probably was a PR stunt by Nadine Dorries, but how do you know the chat wasn’t about future development grants? If it was and the club had done nothing because they were scared of offending political sensibilities (in a town which has voted Tory) people would moan about that too. It seems those in charge can’t win

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:53 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:31 pm
Barrow, home or away should always be a must get to if I can for every Darlo fan since 2012.
Haha no doubt - but I am still not sure I'd call it glamorous!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:38 pm
Is this relevant ED? To the fans forum and the future outlook?
Only in so far as they reached out to a fellow club. Much of the discussion has been about reaching out into the community. After the way we were treated that day I would always buy a few extra bits when I go, and if over there I would go to see them rather than a club close to them. Thus, (my thinking), the "reaching out" can have a positive effect

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:55 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:

If DJ thinks it is an opportunity to speak to the DCMS Secretary of State and put forward the views of a community owned Club and the challenges we face then I think it's a good move on our behalf.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:58 pm

It’s one thing communicating with whoever forms the government of the day and it’s quite another handing out free shirts and posing in photo ops. I don’t think we should be doing it with the next Labour government either, by the way. It’s inappropriate, particularly as a fan owned club, because those photos very much look like taking a side, whether that is the intention or not.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:04 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:58 pm
It’s one thing communicating with whoever forms the government of the day and it’s quite another handing out free shirts and posing in photo ops. I don’t think we should be doing it with the next Labour government either, by the way. It’s inappropriate, particularly as a fan owned club, because those photos very much look like taking a side, whether that is the intention or not.
Try getting a public official anywhere without the promise of a photo op. Necessary evil in my opinion

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm

H1987 wrote:
You've got nothing to worry about there, Labour are unelectable.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bga

Post by bga » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:07 pm

H1987 wrote:
Seriously does anyone really think she would have actually come away with the shirt! As regards the photos and taking sides. Sorry I don't read it that way at all I read it as part of trying to influence the decision makers currently in power end of.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 pm

Dorries is as thick as pig s*** even the Torys don’t like her, with all that’s going on with Johnson and the lies this i feel will be a PR disaster and alienate many fans.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:38 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm
H1987 wrote:
Look at the polls and cry more :lol:

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:39 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 pm
Dorries is as thick as pig s*** even the Torys don’t like her, with all that’s going on with Johnson and the lies this i feel will be a PR disaster and alienate many fans.
For me it’s one thing doing a PR exercise with a minister (Tory or Labour - that’s not my point), it’s another doing it with one who’s views are for me against everything a community club stands for.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:41 pm

bga wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:07 pm
H1987 wrote:
Seriously does anyone really think she would have actually come away with the shirt! As regards the photos and taking sides. Sorry I don't read it that way at all I read it as part of trying to influence the decision makers currently in power end of.
I’d argue it’s even worse if she didn’t walk away with the shirt because then it’s gone in the bin?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:47 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:38 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm
H1987 wrote:
Look at the polls and cry more :lol:
I couldn't resist it ;)

On a serious note though I'm glad Comrade Corbyn got nowhere near Downing Street, if he had we'd be stuck in perpetual restrictions with no way out of them.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 pm

As a woke leftie loony, I was obviously rarther pissed off to see the latest PR escapade. Dorries is a despicable individual who has demonstrated multiple views (including xenophobic ones) that we should seek to disassociate oursevles with, not reward with a shirt and some free PR.

I like to be pragmatic and think "maybe the club is trying to build relationships with stakeholders", but if anyone connected to DFC thinks that the Conservatives give a fook about us then they are clearly deluded.

I would have (genuinely) felt the same way if we had pimped ourselves out to Chapman when Darlo was red.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 pm

Theres a few clubs in the higher reaches of non league who dont own there grounds, halifax, chester and gateshead been prime examples but they wont need to spend much (if anything) to upgrade them to football league standards. Im struggling to thonk of clubs who have poured loads of money into a ground they share with someone else in order to get into the football league or even national league
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:37 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 pm
As a woke leftie loony, I was obviously rarther pissed off to see the latest PR escapade. Dorries is a despicable individual who has demonstrated multiple views (including xenophobic ones) that we should seek to disassociate oursevles with, not reward with a shirt and some free PR.

I like to be pragmatic and think "maybe the club is trying to build relationships with stakeholders", but if anyone connected to DFC thinks that the Conservatives give a fook about us then they are clearly deluded.

I would have (genuinely) felt the same way if we had pimped ourselves out to Chapman when Darlo was red.
Dorries is the last Johnson fan standing can’t believe club thought this was a good idea.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Fans Forum

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:02 pm

Hope she swings some influence in helping us get our own ground.

Well done DJ as ever.

Darlogramps

Fans Forum

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:05 pm

What a massive overreaction from some leftie-bedwetters.

No sensible fan would see any issue with this. It’s just politically intolerant people who’ll complain about anything from someone whose politics differs to theirs.

I despise Dorries and Johnson and want them out of office. But the Secretary of State responsible for sport visiting the club isn’t a bad thing.

I’d suggest if any fan claims to be “alienated” by us speaking to the Secretary of State for sport, they’d be “alienated” by quite a lot of other things too.

And the idea that speaking to the Culture Secretary (whose remit football falls under) is somehow making us politically biased - just laughable.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Sometimes Gramps you have to make a stand IMO this will back fire until the Sue Grey & Met Police enquiry is published.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:12 pm

Not a fan of Nadine Dorries by any means but she is Secretary of State for Sport and as such it would be remiss of DJ to pass up the opportunity of a meeting with her. Like it or not the Tories are the party in Government and therefore the decision makers. If Labour were in power then it would be appropriate to meet with their minister.
Criticism of DJ for meeting her is simply stupid. It is not a political endorsement to simply have a meeting. There may be no long term benefit for the club, but it can’t do any harm to at least exchange views with her. You never know what could happen as result.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:
But we did! Please help us save our club Jenny. Please help us get back to Darlo Jenny.
I didn’t see anyone complain about her involvement as it was for the benefit of the club.
However if a Tory does it the left wing bedwetters have a fit. :roll:

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm
Geordie Quaker wrote:
But we did! Please help us save our club Jenny. Please help us get back to Darlo Jenny.
I didn’t see anyone complain about her involvement as it was for the benefit of the club.
You don’t have to be a left wing bedwetter to not agree with it

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Apparently Jenny was very helpful but she didn’t spend 24hours on Facebook and Twitter telling us what she had done that day.!!