Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Heaton out
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by Heaton out » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 pm

I was one of the people saying Aluns time is up last night as emotions were raw, I’m still not convinced he is the right man to take us forward. After watching his post match interview I do feel sorry for him as I genuinely believe he cares and I’d love to see us do well under him. It’s the lack of any consistency that gets me and the lack of a plan b when we go behind, like many have said who would we get if he goes, I guess we have to give him more time but I’m resigned to mid table at the very best! Which is disappointing.

Regarding DJ, not sure why anyone would question him, I believe he is fantastic and a huge asset to our club, regardless of how long he backs the manager.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:21 pm

Back to football, as has been pointed out further back in this thread, it must be disheartening to A.A to keep on losing his most gifted players. It’s players like Charman who turn losses into draws and draws into wins and it seems that every time we unearth a gem, they (for understandable reasons) always have to wave goodbye - thus making things difficult for all concerned.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:38 pm

Firstly, yesterday wasn’t good enough. AA must take his share of the blame but so must the players who failed to give a performance worthy of the shirt.
Secondly, if AA goes where do we find a manager who can take us to the next level, whilst also respecting the restrictions managing a fan owned club brings? Someone who is prepared to put his neck on the line instead of wiping the budget out in a hope he can save his job.
Any manager within our means will either be someone untried at this level or someone else’s failure. Either way, it’s another gamble.
For me I’d rather give AA at least the rest of the season to sort it out.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:40 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:38 pm
Any manager within our means will either be someone untried at this level or someone else’s failure. Either way, it’s another gamble.
Agree sticking with Alun is quite low risk. It wasn't like Tommy Wright where there was a genuine fear that we could be relegated if he got it wrong again.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:57 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:23 am
Cool heads required in fresh light of new day.yes it was a disaster yes the players didn't do the jobs they are required to. But be realistic we are in the NLN these days happen to all clubs right through the football pyramid. Let's not lose our heads .another game next week at home to put things right. It happened get over it. SUPPORT YOUR CLUB YOU HELPED SAVE IT DON'T LET ANGRY EMOTIONS STOP YOU FROM SUPPORTING IT. IT'S YOUR CLUB.
I think the point is that whether you are at the NLN level or not, you don't lose 5-0 away to the bottom of the league team.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:40 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:38 pm
Agree sticking with Alun is quite low risk. It wasn't like Tommy Wright where there was a genuine fear that we could be relegated if he got it wrong again.
Any time a new manager is appointed it is a risk. Looking back through our history our most successful managers were new to management. The recently departed Lol Morgan was a player manager who was at the end of his playing career. Both Cyril Knowles and Brian Little had been players at the top level and had some coaching experience, but were cutting their teeth in management with us. Martin Gray had been assistant to Dave Penney with us and at Oldham but was untried as a manager. All were risky in that they lacked managerial experience.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:33 pm

It’s odd that in the main the players are picking up less criticism than Alun. When we played Fylde at home recently I knew we would get a result because we do have good players, and players that can play good football. At that game they obviously had to be on their toes otherwise they would get comprehensively beaten by the impressive Fylde. So how come they can’t get their heads right when they travel away to Telford?

Ps, constantly binning managers and thinking the grass is greener is a strategy employed by York City, and there it isn’t working.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:43 pm

Agree that it is a risk but it’s a risk both ways as also could argue a risk if AA stays and things don’t improve.
I am honestly torn as like most am dumbfounded by the lack of consistency given the last period of games has been with experienced pros. It’s deeper than yesterday surely, won 2/11 and have only won consecutive games twice all season. The players yes, but AA has to shoulder some of it for sure. A great example to me is Hatfield. Arguably one of the best central mids in the league and very very consistent over 2 yrs. Yet he is asked to play as a kind of attacking No 10 and just doesn’t influence the game like he used to. Beyond me!

Yet, AA clearly has his heart in the club, always very honest and transparent and seems to be hurting more than any of us. He understands our financial model and can get young players and sell them on which not every manager does. Maybe he needs a better tactical support as his no 2, don’t know.

Difficult one for the club and AA but for certain have complete faith in DJ in his running of the club.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:58 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:53 pm
We're going to fall back into the problems of previous seasons. Pretty tippy-tappy football in a slow, wide arc around the opponents box, but no actual penetrations and no real threat.
How silly does this comment look when we were top scorers in the league a week or two ago?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:16 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:58 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
We're going to fall back into the problems of previous seasons. Pretty tippy-tappy football in a slow, wide arc around the opponents box, but no actual penetrations and no real threat.
How silly does this comment look when we were top scorers in the league a week or two ago?
Perhaps MB8 is flagging up the departure of Charman?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:15 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:57 pm
onewayup wrote:
Cool heads required in fresh light of new day.yes it was a disaster yes the players didn't do the jobs they are required to. But be realistic we are in the NLN these days happen to all clubs right through the football pyramid. Let's not lose our heads .another game next week at home to put things right. It happened get over it. SUPPORT YOUR CLUB YOU HELPED SAVE IT DON'T LET ANGRY EMOTIONS STOP YOU FROM SUPPORTING IT. IT'S YOUR CLUB.
I think the point is that whether you are at the NLN level or not, you don't lose 5-0 away to the bottom of the league team.
Obviously you do at any level, as yesterday proved, it happens in every league from top to bottom, bottom teams fighting to stay in there respective leagues ,higher teams thinking it's a walkover foregone conclusion ,As yesterday proved. I think A A will be hurting an awful lot more than the fans today, I believe AA can turn it around he cares he doesn't waste money and he won't just bring someone in without pedigree, because he's been down that road, I really do believe he can get it right, these players have got to gel and help themselves and their manager,
They have got to standup and be accountable next weeks home game. I look forward to next Saturday.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:24 pm

Remember in our promotion season 84-85 losing 5-2 at lowly Chester.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:26 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Remember in our promotion season 84-85 losing 5-2 at lowly Chester.
I remember that day listening to Rays match reports on radio Cleveland. It was not long after the pools away victory and my first game supporting Darlo. This result was my first reality check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:33 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:58 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
“We’re going to” is the key qualification. Charman scored a significant proportion of our goals, but just as importantly is that he was such a threat he created space for others to exploit through other teams doubling up on him. Losing him loses two attacking fronts. I think kidderminster showed this, we could have played that game for a month and not scored. From the commentary and Alun’s comments yesterday was the same. Yes Farsley was good, but that’s an exceptional game and I think playing 1 up front with the lack of goals our current strikers offer means we will revert back to last seasons over playing in midfield.

Also, we were leading scorers but had played more than everyone else, so on goals per game we were not top. Not bad, but not top.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:56 pm

Yesterday sounded like a classic example of a goal at the right time changing the entire course of a game. We seemingly completely dominated in the first half but couldn't turn all that possession into a goal.

If we'd managed to get our noses in front, as we did at Farsley, you would probably have seen their fragile confidence collapse and it might have turned out be be another Farsley. The Telford manager actually said he was just pleased to stay in the game when under the cosh because they usually don't.

Then they sneaked in front and we switched off just after the break and their confidence soared for the first time in ages, boosted by several new signings. But our capitulation from the mid-way point was appalling and that kind of surrender has got to be addressed.

The importance of getting that first goal when dominating was very clearly illustrated.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:40 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:24 pm
Remember in our promotion season 84-85 losing 5-2 at lowly Chester.
I think we were 3-0 down at one point so at least there was some reaction, still, remembering that season takes us back to Telford in the cup so maybe there's something in the water down there. Having moaned about AA this season I have probably been unfair as it's been a difficult year for him with ill health and enigmatic players - just managing Joe Wheatley must take up a fair bit of his energy. Anyway, as posters we're allowed to come up with bright ideas .... so, what about letting Holloway manage with AA in some sort of consultative role ?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:43 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:15 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Obviously you do at any level, as yesterday proved, it happens in every league from top to bottom, bottom teams fighting to stay in there respective leagues ,higher teams thinking it's a walkover foregone conclusion ,As yesterday proved. I think A A will be hurting an awful lot more than the fans today, I believe AA can turn it around he cares he doesn't waste money and he won't just bring someone in without pedigree, because he's been down that road, I really do believe he can get it right, these players have got to gel and help themselves and their manager,
They have got to standup and be accountable next weeks home game. I look forward to next Saturday.
Ok, literally teams do lose 5-0 to bottom of the league sides because it happened yesterday, I'm not quite sure how often it happens and I'd be surprised if many managers have kept their job after such a result.

As for the belief that AA can turn it round, sure, I would like that too, but it's based on no more than faith/hope. The evidence suggests he simply does not know how to stop this happening.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Ok, literally teams do lose 5-0 to bottom of the league sides because it happened yesterday, I'm not quite sure how often it happens and I'd be surprised if many managers have kept their job after such a result.

As for the belief that AA can turn it round, sure, I would like that too, but it's based on no more than faith/hope. The evidence suggests he simply does not know how to stop this happening.
Except from us beating Farsley 6-0, and defeating both AFC Fylde and Brackley this season.

“The evidence” actually suggests we’re an inconsistent side who can play well and can play abysmally. Yesterday was at the extreme end of that.

Prior to yesterday, no one other than biggest gobshites on the Tin Shed group had called for AA to go. Now off the back of this result some people have switched. That to me suggests a kneejerk reaction, which is why I can’t get on board with any suggestions of a managerial change.

There’s a team in there who are capable of performing. We know that because they’ve done it. They just need to do it more regularly. That for me is the red line AA needs to achieve if he’s to carry on. Get this team performing more consistently and actually, we’re not far away at all.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 pm

Let’s get real we had a s*** result and people are unhappy. The board and DFCSG like fans are also probably unhappy. Until we have any other outside interest wanting to put money in and I doubt there’s any effort into this as the DFCSG board will never be keen on this so until then get behind the manager and let’s try and get mid table it’s probably where we deserve to be.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 pm
There’s a team in there who are capable of performing. We know that because they’ve done it. They just need to do it more regularly.
For this reason I would allow him another summer to close the gaps he identifies this season as well. One season to build a team and then another chance to develop that squad with the benefit of a season behind them.

I do feel our squad still feels a like bit cobbled together at times, some players through necessity rather than design and it could explain the inconsistencies and sometimes disjointed performances.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
onewayup wrote:

Except from us beating Farsley 6-0, and defeating both AFC Fylde and Brackley this season.

“The evidence” actually suggests we’re an inconsistent side who can play well and can play abysmally. Yesterday was at the extreme end of that.

Prior to yesterday, no one other than biggest gobshites on the Tin Shed group had called for AA to go. Now off the back of this result some people have switched. That to me suggests a kneejerk reaction, which is why I can’t get on board with any suggestions of a managerial change.

There’s a team in there who are capable of performing. We know that because they’ve done it. They just need to do it more regularly. That for me is the red line AA needs to achieve if he’s to carry on. Get this team performing more consistently and actually, we’re not far away at all.
That's the point I'm making, I'm not suggesting he doesn't know how to avoid a 5-0 defeat every week! The team can have a few good results but they still regulalrly throw up terrible performances, in fact they just don't have any consistency at all. Armstrong does not know how to stop this happening as he appeared to indicate in the post-match interview.

All you are saying is that the team can play well but needs to be consistent, yes obviously, but why do you think AA can achieve that?

Darlogramps

Telford V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 pm

He’s previously taken Blyth into the play-offs so has done it before. He had us competing in and around the play-offs in our first season under him before the pandemic hit.

He clearly has a decent eye for players given what he’s done for the likes of Charman. And I do think he can identify problems in the team and come up with solutions (he did it in his first season, plus has fixed some issues this season too - yesterday’s result aside, our defence is much better than the opening four matches). I know the counter to that is he got it wrong in the first place, but he fixed it with signing Ellis, Cooper and Lawlor.

And we’ve seen we are capable of getting results. The last step is to string it altogether. People will laugh, but I do genuinely believe we’re just a couple of pieces of the jigsaw away from being a very good team.

I can understand the reaction to yesterday’s appalling result. However I do believe the some of the comments we’ve seen are a social media-fuelled overreaction based on one very bad result. Hardly anyone was talking about a managerial change on Friday night, so to change who is running the team on the basis of one result seems like a bad way of running things.

And where is the guarantee someone else coming in mid-season, with new ideas, new staff and working with players they didn’t sign, is all of a sudden going to find the consistency we’re wanting? Particularly as we don’t have a huge budget so will be limited to who we can bring in mid-season.

AA gets the club, he gets what we’re about, he understands the limitations we have and does have a decent enough track record at this level (one play-off finish with Blyth, plus a top 10 finish and a PPG top 10 finish in his first season with us).

On that basis, right now I think AA is our best chance for achieving our aims. I didn’t realistically expect us to go up this season. Indeed I said I’d be happy with a year of consolidation, a few tweaks in the summer and a play-off push next season.

If our inconsistency becomes a prolonged negative run, then I’ll shift my position. But right now I don’t think a change of manager would benefit us.
If you can put forward one candidate who will change things up for the better, by all means, let us know. Would be good to hear as I haven’t seen any credible names put forward by those complaining loudest.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:08 am

I was fairly laid back on Saturday evening, but having watched the highlights, I am absolutely livid at some of the defending. The players have let Alun down there. That isn’t organisation, structure or tactics. It’s a bunch of players not doing the basics right and defending like a junior side, and I think that’s being harsh on junior football.

Goal 1: Griffiths done far too easily. Compounds the first mistake by upending his man.

Goal 2: Smith completely bottles going in for the ball. He may as well not be there because he isn’t effecting play cuddling Danny Ellis.

Goal 3: What an awful square ball across your own box by Lambert. Taking the easy option if I’ve ever seen one.

Goal 4: Undone by a free-kick routine that was so blatant, it was like watching a slow motion car crash. All pointing, but no-one reacts.

Goal 5: Straight down the middle. Ellis needs to bring him down, he doesn’t. Rose is playing in the middle on his own, thanks to Wheatley being unnecessarily sent off. Lambert is stood stationary watching it all, Griffiths also ineffective at preventing anything when Ellis is skipped past.

These players get the plaudits when things are going great, yet Alun takes all of the flak when they aren’t. There’s some serious ‘looking in the mirror’ to do for some of them before Kettering on Saturday.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:34 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:08 am
Goal 5: Straight down the middle. Ellis needs to bring him down, he doesn’t. Rose is playing in the middle on his own, thanks to Wheatley being unnecessarily sent off. Lambert is stood stationary watching it all, Griffiths also ineffective at preventing anything when Ellis is skipped past.
Dear me. This one was the worst.

Just run straight at us and you get through.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:21 am

Never saw this coming mind despite the scoreline on tuesday telford did give gateshead a scare early on which indicated they are improving with the new manager. Clearly loosing charman has hit the club badly
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:He’s previously taken Blyth into the play-offs so has done it before. He had us competing in and around the play-offs in our first season under him before the pandemic hit.

He clearly has a decent eye for players given what he’s done for the likes of Charman. And I do think he can identify problems in the team and come up with solutions (he did it in his first season, plus has fixed some issues this season too - yesterday’s result aside, our defence is much better than the opening four matches). I know the counter to that is he got it wrong in the first place, but he fixed it with signing Ellis, Cooper and Lawlor.

And we’ve seen we are capable of getting results. The last step is to string it altogether. People will laugh, but I do genuinely believe we’re just a couple of pieces of the jigsaw away from being a very good team.

I can understand the reaction to yesterday’s appalling result. However I do believe the some of the comments we’ve seen are a social media-fuelled overreaction based on one very bad result. Hardly anyone was talking about a managerial change on Friday night, so to change who is running the team on the basis of one result seems like a bad way of running things.

And where is the guarantee someone else coming in mid-season, with new ideas, new staff and working with players they didn’t sign, is all of a sudden going to find the consistency we’re wanting? Particularly as we don’t have a huge budget so will be limited to who we can bring in mid-season.

AA gets the club, he gets what we’re about, he understands the limitations we have and does have a decent enough track record at this level (one play-off finish with Blyth, plus a top 10 finish and a PPG top 10 finish in his first season with us).

On that basis, right now I think AA is our best chance for achieving our aims. I didn’t realistically expect us to go up this season. Indeed I said I’d be happy with a year of consolidation, a few tweaks in the summer and a play-off push next season.

If our inconsistency becomes a prolonged negative run, then I’ll shift my position. But right now I don’t think a change of manager would benefit us.
If you can put forward one candidate who will change things up for the better, by all means, let us know. Would be good to hear as I haven’t seen any credible names put forward by those complaining loudest.
This 100%, great post Gramps.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:07 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:08 am
I was fairly laid back on Saturday evening, but having watched the highlights, I am absolutely livid at some of the defending. The players have let Alun down there. That isn’t organisation, structure or tactics. It’s a bunch of players not doing the basics right and defending like a junior side, and I think that’s being harsh on junior football.

Goal 1: Griffiths done far too easily. Compounds the first mistake by upending his man.

Goal 2: Smith completely bottles going in for the ball. He may as well not be there because he isn’t effecting play cuddling Danny Ellis.

Goal 3: What an awful square ball across your own box by Lambert. Taking the easy option if I’ve ever seen one.

Goal 4: Undone by a free-kick routine that was so blatant, it was like watching a slow motion car crash. All pointing, but no-one reacts.

These players get the plaudits when things are going great, yet Alun takes all of the flak when they aren’t. There’s some serious ‘looking in the mirror’ to do for some of them before Kettering on Saturday.
I’ve just taken a look at the “highlights” and agree with the above. For some reason the players simply gave up in the second half, they look like they can’t be arsed and with each further goal that goes in their willingness to compete sinks lower. In goal 5, Ellis, normally capable and ultra competitive doesn’t seem to want to get involved.

At the risk of repeating myself it’s unfair that Armstrong is taking the flak for this, there are decent players on the pitch who have downed tools.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am

The defence has and is the issue that has held us back this season - we are one of the top goal scorers in the league.
We have not progressed from when Tommy Wright was in charge.
Storey must be looking at Saturdays game and be thinking what do I have to do to get in this team.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:27 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am
We have not progressed from when Tommy Wright was in charge.
This is definitely not true.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:28 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:37 pm
I’d like to rebuild Wheatley’s footballing brain! How many times has he been sent off whilst playing for Darlo?

Anybody ?
That's twice now. The other one we also conceded 5 at Kidderminster.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883