Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Telford V Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:57 am

Hopefully a good performance from the lads today :thumbup:

AndyPark

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 am

Not there today, but hoping the guys who do make the trip - make a lot of noise and bring home those 3 points.

Come on Darlo.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:17 pm

Important game today at the start of a run of 5 games (Telford, Kettering, Guiseley, Chester & Gloucester) where we really need 12+ points if we are really going to potentially challenge for that final playoff position. Missed out on what would have been a good point against Kidderminster to a last ' minute goal, if you can pick up those sorts of 'bonus points' it takes some of the pressure off these games but now the lads have to show they've got what it takes.

For me I still think we're better 4-2-3-1 with the players we have. Largely because neither of our striking options give us the option of running in behind and stretching the game, so I'd rather have our better ball players on the pitch, control possession, use Rivers and Lambert to stretch the game with Dos Santos able to come off the bench and give us more pace. Get Hatfield high up the pitch carrying the ball forward and Cassidy needs to make sure he's between the posts in the box when our wide players have the ball that's where he can be most dangerous. Added to that Rose has given us great quality on set pieces and corners, with Ellis, Lawlor and Cassidy in there we need to be getting the ball swung in flat under the crossbar and put pressure on the keeper. I'd go for:

------------------ Taylor ------------------
Griffiths --- Ellis --- Lawlor ---- Smith
------------- Rose --- Purver ------------
Rivers -------- Hatfield ------ Lambert
---------------- Cassidy ------------------

Subs: Hedley, Storey, Wheatley, Dos Santos, O'Neill

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm

A Farsley type of performance would be great, especially against bottom of the league Telford. If the chances come our way then it could be a fill-your-boots opportunity and goal difference is going to be just as vital. We have proven that we can score goals without Charman, others are going to have to continue to step up until we find a replacement.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:16 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm
A Farsley type of performance would be great, especially against bottom of the league Telford. If the chances come our way then it could be a fill-your-boots opportunity and goal difference is going to be just as vital. We have proven that we can score goals without Charman, others are going to have to continue to step up until we find a replacement.
"It could be a "fill-your-boots opportunity". Why do I think these kind of stupid statements are meant to come back and bite us.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:44 pm

Games against bottom of the league teams can be tough when they are scrapping for the points. Happily take a 1-0 win today.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:04 pm

Need someone to step into Charman's scoring boots

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:16 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm
"It could be a "fill-your-boots opportunity". Why do I think these kind of stupid statements are meant to come back and bite us.
Can’t argue with that. 2.0 down .We really are dogshit at times.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:18 pm

3-0 now. Looks like Farsley was a false dawn.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:19 pm

3 down now, season over without a doubt.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:23 pm

What the hell is going on, absolutely embarrassing .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:26 pm

This is atrocious and exactly why we are just treading water, totally unacceptable.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:28 pm

4 nil down against the bottom of the league. Good job only one going down.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm

I accept Cassidy does a lot of work, but we need a central forward who can actually score. Farsley appears to have been one of those freak performances, we will not win many with him up top alone with the lack of goals throughout our midfield. Hopefully some announcements on a new forward this week.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:37 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm
I accept Cassidy does a lot of work, but we need a central forward who can actually score. Farsley appears to have been one of those freak performances, we will not win many with him up top alone with the lack of goals throughout our midfield. Hopefully some announcements on a new forward this week.
I think after this, O’Neill should be starting up front with Cassidy.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Can only put this down to the players thinking’ all we have to do is turn up’ and it’s 3 points in the bag.☹️

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 pm
Can only put this down to the players thinking’ all we have to do is turn up’ and it’s 3 points in the bag.☹️
Can put it down to more than that.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 pm

:thumbdown: :shock: Time for a Sopranos sit down in May and some big decisions - I know the received view for this season is 'transitional' but that's just a kind way of saying fair enough one week/very poor the next so we somehow end up in the middle of the table. I'd have hoped for a 1-0 away against a struggling team but I believe the management has run its course. I'd say we'll stay up but you never know, we could transition down at this rate. This is a truly shocking result.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:37 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm
I think after this, O’Neill should be starting up front with Cassidy.
Should have started with those 2today against a bang out of form team but yet again Armstrong bottled it.
It was pretty obvious after 15 minutes we needed something different up front .

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:53 pm

We're going to fall back into the problems of previous seasons. Pretty tippy-tappy football in a slow, wide arc around the opponents box, but no actual penetrations and no real threat.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:55 pm

To be honest I am not Armstrong’s biggest fan but I feel this one is more down to the players on the pitch. He has put out a team that should have been capable of winning this game and clearly the players have let him down.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:56 pm

I can't remember a worse result that this since reformation.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:56 pm

Is that 5 red cards now? Is there a fine for so many red cards in a season?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:59 pm

This is the type of result where you do get the questions of where the club is going. Bitterly disappointing and pretty much resigned to mid-table at best, it questions how long you can stomach this, how long can you keep putting money in if this is the ceiling? I know financial stability is great and the Charman deal may have been good for the club, but without ambition it doesn't take much for this to disappear if we have many more seasons like this.

The reality is we do need further outside investment beyond the fan base if we are to progress and you can't deny that at the moment that is what it seems.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:00 pm

"We looked tired Ray"

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:00 pm

Why do players let managers down ? It's up to managers to get them to play, I know that's a bit harsh but how did Telford's manager get his players to deliver ?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:00 pm
"We looked tired Ray"
"should have been 5 up at half time, Ray"

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Nothing to look forward to now. Time for a total rebuild

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:09 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:56 pm
Is that 5 red cards now? Is there a fine for so many red cards in a season?
From listening to the radio commentary it seems that Wheatley’s red card was utterly predictable and completely unnecessary.

He’s done this so many times :crazy:

I don’t normally criticise players but these repeated red cards for ott challenges are simply idiotic.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:12 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 pm
Nothing to look forward to now. Time for a total rebuild
It can only be that now. Start planning for next season...pretty sad when it's only January! :thumbdown: