Hecky rules again.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Hecky rules again.

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:09 pm

I see our ex-player Hecky has just got a 4 and a half year contract to manage Shef Utd, and the locals are not a happy bunch to say the least.
I reckon he could just do a decent job, but if not, and even if he does, I question ANY club giving a manager a 4.5 year contract in this day and age.
Wonder what his pay off will be !!
Can only think the length of the deal has something to do with covering his contract with the clubs younger section.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Hecky rules again.

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm

It's a long time. What quite often happens after a sacking is the manager doesn't get a payoff but just keeps on drawing his salary. I have a friend who knows a current EFL manager and he told me last year that he was getting a wage from 3 different clubs :shock:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm
It's a long time. What quite often happens after a sacking is the manager doesn't get a payoff but just keeps on drawing his salary. I have a friend who knows a current EFL manager and he told me last year that he was getting a wage from 3 different clubs :shock:
I am sure in our murky past but I can't remember the time period we once had three managers salaries on our books. The then current Manager and 3 former Managers being paid off. Anyone remember this?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:16 pm

bga wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I am sure in our murky past but I can't remember the time period we once had three managers salaries on our books. The then current Manager and 3 former Managers being paid off. Anyone remember this?
Yep, but as with you, can't remember those concerned.
As I was writing Tommy Taylor came to mind for some reason ?????

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 pm

Was a good player for darlington and seems like a canny bloke but you would think he would be given it as caretaker to see how he gets on, maybe even until the end of the season but 4.5 years, haway. Does the chairman owe him money and is looking to sell the club? Thats what happened at gateshead when deluded dave dickson got a 3 year contract despite there been no players! Anyway i really do hope paul does well, he never seems to bliddy age either
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 am

shildonlad wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 pm
Was a good player for darlington and seems like a canny bloke but you would think he would be given it as caretaker to see how he gets on, maybe even until the end of the season but 4.5 years, haway. Does the chairman owe him money and is looking to sell the club? Thats what happened at gateshead when deluded dave dickson got a 3 year contract despite there been no players! Anyway i really do hope paul does well, he never seems to bliddy age either
He was caretaker at the end of last season for a while and has coached there in I think 3 different time spans.
Apparently the club wants to bring on the youngsters to sell on. Hecky knows the kids well so should have the knowledge in that area.
The point of the length of the contract was what hit me most/ I find that very shocking when you look at how long the normal manager lasts at any club.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:16 pm
bga wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Yep, but as with you, can't remember those concerned.
As I was writing Tommy Taylor came to mind for some reason ?????
I meant "2 former managers" in my post. Ed yes I think it was around the Tommy Taylor era.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:13 am

I think Paul Futcher might have been one of the others but he can't have been at Feethams that long. Was Paul Ward involved as well ? We must have been a popular club to manage then - early 90's ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:49 pm

I would have a guess at Billy McEwan, Alan Murray and Paul Futcher all being paid after being sacked.
More recently would be Colin Todd, Steve Staunton and Mark Cooper possibly?

bga

Post by bga » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm

loan_star wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:49 pm
I would have a guess at Billy McEwan, Alan Murray and Paul Futcher all being paid after being sacked.
More recentl y would be Colin Todd, Steve Staunton and Mark Cooper possibly?
I think your first guess is correct as I recall it was while we were at Feethams.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:27 pm

bga wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm
loan_star wrote:
I think your first guess is correct as I recall it was while we were at Feethams.
Don't mention McEwan to any of the players of his era unless you like to upset people.
Smudger in particular goes bonkers any time he is mentioned.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:58 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:27 pm
bga wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm
loan_star wrote:
Don't mention McEwan to any of the players of his era unless you like to upset people.
Smudger in particular goes bonkers any time he is mentioned.
I knew lee ellsion to speak to during his time at shildon and that mcewan made lees life a missery and knocked his confidence, not a well liked bloke at all
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:09 pm
I see our ex-player Hecky has just got a 4 and a half year contract to manage Shef Utd, and the locals are not a happy bunch to say the least.
I reckon he could just do a decent job, but if not, and even if he does, I question ANY club giving a manager a 4.5 year contract in this day and age.
Wonder what his pay off will be !!
Can only think the length of the deal has something to do with covering his contract with the clubs younger section.
can depend on the content of the contract - could include all manner of clauses to cover early termination (to protect the club) - through to large compensation (to benefit the club). Could include performance related pay etc etc

won his first game like.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:37 am

Quit while you are ahead, Hecky!😅