Darlington v Leamington 23/10/21

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Old Git » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Really hoping we can take 3 points tomorrow and move up the table. Not expecting many changes to the starting eleven from last week but I suppose the main selection decision for AA will be whether to start with Cooper or Storey alongside Ellis. No mention in his interview about the fitness of Smith so presumably Griffiths and Hedley will continue as the full backs. With Mondal and Lambert on the scoresheet at Newton Aycliffe they will be pushing for selection but it seems likely they will have to settle for a place on the bench.

Darlogramps

Re: Darlington v Leamington 23/10/21

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm

For me, he has to stick with Storey, and the fact he’s praising him in the Echo makes me think he will do. Dropping Storey now would damage his confidence.

Storey and Ellis are likely to be our permanent pairing for the rest of the season, so best to give them as much time to develop that understanding as possible.

Plus with three games in eight days coming up, I suspect Cooper will get his chance anyway.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am

Doesn't look like the Leamington fans are fired up for their trip to the North east. They failed to reach the minimum requirement of 8 bookings for their 11 seater Brakes Trust minibus and it has been cancelled.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:25 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am
Doesn't look like the Leamington fans are fired up for their trip to the North east. They failed to reach the minimum requirement of 8 bookings for their 11 seater Brakes Trust minibus and it has been cancelled.
Serious?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Let's just say the Tinshed End won't be 'taken' today :D

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:40 pm

No Elilis today, 1 1

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:47 pm

2 points dropped, IMO

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:04 pm

Yeh, was expecting us to win today.
They had done their homework and just like last season we do struggle to break teams down who sit back, pack defence and are aggressive in closing us down.
Didnt get why Nelson didn’t get 20 mins at least. Was crying out for someone who can change the game with a bit of magic although thought Lambert did well.
Just a flat performance overall really.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm

Thought we started well enough and it was not a surprise when we took the lead through KDS. However, once Leamington equalised they raised their game and were much more competitive. Whether their goal was offside or not I was not in a position to see but the defenders certainly seemed to be expecting a flag that never came.
The second half was pretty poor to be honest but I was surprised to see KDS taken off as he seemed one of our brightest players. On the other side of the pitch Rivers was well policed by their left back who for my money was the best player on the park. Also bit surprised not to see Nelson for last twenty minutes when we were lacking a spark up front. If he can’t get on to the pitch when we are desperate for a goal at home when will he ever get on ?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:44 pm

It was a game I would expect to win if we are going to trouble the play-offs, but as it is we look a mid-table/bottom half side, both teams did really. Thought we were the better side but we we also could have easily lost it at the end, After the first few games I though we were relegation material so at least being a mid-table team is an improvement.

Lambert looked good when he came on. Still not sure Wheatley is anywhere near last season.

Not sure what is going on with Nelson, its over 2 months into the season and he has rarely featured. I wonder if his fitness is not progressing as expected.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Thought we played well until they scored and as has happened several times this season the team lost cohesion and handed advantage to the opposition. Was a poor game overall, and the looked like they were up for it more than our players, winning most first and second balls.

Jack Lambert looked good when he came on, but I did not understand the taking off of KDS (who looked really unhappy). He was playing well , where as Rivers was having little impact in this game.

Wonder if AA does not rate KDS? as he rarely played him before he was rushed into hospital, I personally think he is one of our bright prospects and fully committed for 90 mins, and today AA took him off when he was playing well.

AA must also wondering if he is a jinx as we won the games when he was hospitalised and recovering, and not won since he came back😁

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 pm

A great save by T.T. at the of the game when one of their nippy little forwards burst through for a one on one. Taylor kept cool, kept stood up then just pounced for the ball and grabbed it.

A minor gripe but no signage, flags or anything at all to alert passing traffic on the busy main road that a game of football was due to take place. A large notice board for the Rugby club, nothing for us.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 pm

Really bizaare behaviour from some in the Tin Shed. They spent most of the second half calling the Leamington goalkeeper a "paedo" and appeared to get themselves into such a frenzy that they then started throwing bottles at him. Ridiculous. It seemed to calm down after a few people turned on them for that. Its almost like they actually convinced themselves that the goalie was a "paedo" and therefore they were justified in throwing bottles at him. Embarrassing really.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:A great save by T.T. at the of the game when one of their nippy little forwards burst through for a one on one. Taylor kept cool, kept stood up then just pounced for the ball and grabbed it.

A minor gripe but no signage, flags or anything at all to alert passing traffic on the busy main road that a game of football was due to take place. A large notice board for the Rugby club, nothing for us.
There are more effective ways of communicating the match is on than sticking a sign out for people to glimpse at as they hurtle past at 40mph.

The internet, newspapers and so on. There are much more important battles to fight than an ineffectual sign on a road. We need to move on from this type of out-dated thinking.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:59 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Really bizaare behaviour from some in the Tin Shed. They spent most of the second half calling the Leamington goalkeeper a "paedo" and appeared to get themselves into such a frenzy that they then started throwing bottles at him. Ridiculous. It seemed to calm down after a few people turned on them for that. Its almost like they actually convinced themselves that the goalie was a "paedo" and therefore they were justified in throwing bottles at him. Embarrassing really.
There’s a hardcore few in the Tin Shed who have a weird obsession with paedophilia. Most of their chants revolve around it as well. Clearly it’s very important to them.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:28 am

Might be time to mix the starting 11 up a bit , maybe giving Lambert and Nelson a start.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:51 pm

Andrew Nelson is still not match fit he is coming back from injury and when he's ready to play he will be an asset to the club ,we don't want to start Andrew for him to then pull up injured before he's ready putting him further back from a starting berth..be patient he will get his place at the right time.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:51 pm
Andrew Nelson is still not match fit he is coming back from injury and when he's ready to play he will be an asset to the club ,we don't want to start Andrew for him to then pull up injured before he's ready putting him further back from a starting berth..be patient he will get his place at the right time.
Yes agreed but what is puzzling is that a few weeks ago Nelson was coming off the subs bench and getting some game time and he even started at Chester in the FA Cup replay.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 pm
onewayup wrote:
Yes agreed but what is puzzling is that a few weeks ago Nelson was coming off the subs bench and getting some game time and he even started at Chester in the FA Cup replay.
I understand he’s not fully fit yet, he also started at Newton Aycliffe, so he can’t be far off, I thought he might get another 15 minutes or so on Saturday.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 pm
onewayup wrote:
I understand he’s not fully fit yet, he also started at Newton Aycliffe, so he can’t be far off, I thought he might get another 15 minutes or so on Saturday.
Surely he must be ready to go at this point and there also has to be a 'sink or swim' attitude at some point. This has been ongoing for what feels like a couple of months now. This has to be one of the lengthiest 'easing in' spells I ever remember. Unless he has had some kind of setback that I am not aware of?

I think we sorely need him as an option for more than ten minutes.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 am

Hasn’t he just recently had Covid too?
If that’s the case, he won’t be match fit yet.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:56 am

AndyPark wrote:Hasn’t he just recently had Covid too?
Correct.

AA and the coaching staff manage him in training and will have a far better view of him and his fitness than some uninformed posters on here and social media.

I’d prefer to trust their judgement.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:02 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Thought we started well enough and it was not a surprise when we took the lead through KDS. However, once Leamington equalised they raised their game and were much more competitive. Whether their goal was offside or not I was not in a position to see but the defenders certainly seemed to be expecting a flag that never came.
The second half was pretty poor to be honest but I was surprised to see KDS taken off as he seemed one of our brightest players. On the other side of the pitch Rivers was well policed by their left back who for my money was the best player on the park. Also bit surprised not to see Nelson for last twenty minutes when we were lacking a spark up front. If he can’t get on to the pitch when we are desperate for a goal at home when will he ever get on ?
Agree there LB was MOTM great defender and good engine going forward and even KDS struggled to catch him. Nelson was feeling his hammy after Aycliffe 90 minutes so maybe was a precaution? Wheatley had a quiet game but was okay, just need others to chip in with a goal or too as opposing teams very much focus on Charman and rightly so.
On evidence so far played 10 which gives a good idea, won 3, lost 5 we are a mid table team with most teams above us also having played less games.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:24 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:02 am
Wheatley had a quiet game but was okay.
I thought Wheatley wasnt at the races on saturday. Seems to be slow these days too, has no little burst of pace even over a short distance.
One of the best passers of the ball at the club but we could do with seeing a bit more from him.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:56 am
Correct.

AA and the coaching staff manage him in training and will have a far better view of him and his fitness than some uninformed posters on here and social media.

Of course AA and coaching staff will know more than anyone posting on this forum but why name him as a sub if he is not going to be used ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:43 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:07 pm
Of course AA and coaching staff will know more than anyone posting on this forum but why name him as a sub if he is not going to be used ?
To fill the bench? To keep other players on their toes? To stop people thinking Nelson may be injured again etc etc?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:56 am
Correct.

You are such a contentious doyle on here at times, for no reason at all. It seems like 'something I'm not aware of' would be covered by a dose of covid. You could just say that, like the poster above you, rather than being a knob about it.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Who rattled your cage? I wasn’t having a go at anyone. Just saying AA and his staff will have their reasons and I trust that over anyone on here questioning his decision. That’s all I meant.

Although by your own admission you were uninformed so not sure what your issue is with my description. Seems you’re upset because you’ve done your usual trick of spouting off to look controversial without knowing the facts.

Nelson having COVID was public knowledge. Try doing some research next time and you won’t look so silly. There’s a good lad.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:43 pm
Old Git wrote:
To fill the bench? To keep other players on their toes? To stop people thinking Nelson may be injured again etc etc?
So you think they are good enough reasons to put a player on the bench?
Silly me I thought the purpose was to nominate players who may be able to come on to the pitch and change the game or provide cover for injuries.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:15 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 pm
loan_star wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:43 pm
Old Git wrote:
So you think they are good enough reasons to put a player on the bench?
Silly me I thought the purpose was to nominate players who may be able to come on to the pitch and change the game or provide cover for injuries.
All depends who the other options are. Nelson was the only striker on the bench so that’s probably why he was in there rather than say having another defender on there.