The Bizarre Stadium That BANKRUPTED A Football Club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

The Bizarre Stadium That BANKRUPTED A Football Club

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am

If you have 40 minutes to spare, an interesting take on the Reynolds era and everything that followed.

Not 100% correct in places but whoever made the video had clearly done their homework and I have no idea why but this commentary makes the whole situation feel more embarrassing than it did at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxfrZj0VA3s&t=2207s
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Vokuhila

Re: The Bizarre Stadium That BANKRUPTED A Football Club

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 pm

Henley

Post by Henley » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:42 am

It’s a long video so I scrubbed through it but as soon as I heard the section where he was saying it was mad of someone to think Darlington would get 25,000 crowds at home to Torquay I switched off. It wasn’t built for Tier 4.

The madness was that Reynolds thought he could achieve top flight football for Darlington without having to fund the team from his (non-existent) wealth of £300m.

P.S. Why does much of today’s media have an undertone of sneeriness?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Back in May 1966, we did get 16.5k in Feetham & probably 8.5k more would have liked to have been there but H&S existed even then.
Good word "sneeriness"🙌

ShakerFan
Team Supported: Bury

Post by ShakerFan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm

What was the deal with Reynolds and his apparent wealth, did he actually have any?
He sounds remarkably similar to Stewart Day who spent the best part of five years being on the verge of making a business deal worth 60 million pounds. He chucked that figure about a lot and normally it kept fans happy, most notably our utterly useless supporters trust.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:06 pm

Henley wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:42 am
It’s a long video so I scrubbed through it but as soon as I heard the section where he was saying it was mad of someone to think Darlington would get 25,000 crowds at home to Torquay I switched off. It wasn’t built for Tier 4.

The madness was that Reynolds thought he could achieve top flight football for Darlington without having to fund the team from his (non-existent) wealth of £300m.

P.S. Why does much of today’s media have an undertone of sneeriness?
Not the worst for me. That was that he thought we would take 5000 fans from each of Boro, Blunderland and Barcodes. Showed he had no idea about football fans, which is funny as he was a Blunderland fan.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:18 pm

ShakerFan wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm
What was the deal with Reynolds and his apparent wealth, did he actually have any?
Of course he did, it was in a bin-liner under his car seat. :roll:

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:23 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 pm
http://darlofc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39454

Keep up, q4l! ;)
My apologies to murtonquakerfan I should have been more thorough.
ShakerFan wrote: What was the deal with Reynolds and his apparent wealth, did he actually have any?
Yes, but how much is disputed.

The video glossed over the 2003/04 season, finishing 18th that year was nothing short of miraculous as we looked certain to follow Carlisle into the Conference and to this day I don't know how Hodgy did it and part of me still wishes he hadn't :silent: .
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Kayise

Post by Kayise » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:06 am

When it comes to bizarre stadiums, it doesn't get much stranger than the case of the now-defunct football club in the United Kingdom, which was once based at a ground that boasted a very unique feature.

The club in question was known as Rushden & Diamonds, and they enjoyed a period of success in the late 1990s and early 2000s. They even managed to reach the third tier of English football, which is no mean feat.

However, the club's financial troubles began to mount, and in 2005, they were forced to sell their ground to property developers. This left them without a home, and they were forced to ground share with other clubs.

https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/ent ... b_14793970

But the real kicker came when the developers revealed their plans for the site of the old ground. They wanted to build a shopping center on the site, which would have included a supermarket, a hotel, and other retail outlets.

The problem was that the local council said that the shopping center could only be built if the football club was relocated. This meant that the club would have to find a new home, and they didn't have long to do so.

In the end, the club was forced to move to a ground that was miles away from their old one, and the move bankrupted them.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:20 am

That was an absolutely beautiful stadium, Nene Park.

The ideal L1/L2/Nat League ground.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:58 pm

What happened to Nene Park in the end was criminal, oddly enough if I recall correctly Rushden & Diamond's final game before going under was against us in 2011.