Darlo v Newcastle

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo2001uk
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Newcastle

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:25 pm

JE93

Re: Darlo v Newcastle

Post by JE93 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 am

I’d ask what team people think we’ll play but I don’t think there are that many options depending on trialists available. Guess we have to go with the strongest we currently have try to get preped for day a of the season in 3 weeks or so time.

——————————— Taylor —————————
Griffiths —— Beeden — Storey —— Smith
—— Hatfield —— Wheatley —— Purver ——
Rivers —————— Charman ———— Mondal

Subs: Martin, Hedley, Hope, Dos Santos and hopefully a fair few trialists.

Ideally don’t want players playing more than 45 mins to an hour with a small squad and 5 games in 3 weeks.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 am

Just great to be talking about an actual football match again. Never has a preseason friendly against Newcastle U23s been so inviting. Hope we get a decent crowd but that will be affected by the streaming. Predicting 700 on the gate and 200 on line?

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 am

JE93 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 am
I’d ask what team people think we’ll play but I don’t think there are that many options depending on trialists available. Guess we have to go with the strongest we currently have try to get preped for day a of the season in 3 weeks or so time.

Ideally don’t want players playing more than 45 mins to an hour with a small squad and 5 games in 3 weeks.
Going by the line up in the only other friendly played so far it seems that having all those players on the field at the same time is unlikely. In the earlier game there were quite a few Academy players used to beef up the squad and it seems that there were many who did very well. I know that the earlier game was compromised by a shortage of first teamers due to the restrictions, but as you say, there has to be one eye on protecting them due to having a small squad at present, and this first preseason will be more about fitness than getting the team to gel.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:23 am

en passant wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 am
JE93 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 am

Going by the line up in the only other friendly played so far it seems that having all those players on the field at the same time is unlikely. In the earlier game there were quite a few Academy players used to beef up the squad and it seems that there were many who did very well. I know that the earlier game was compromised by a shortage of first teamers due to the restrictions, but as you say, there has to be one eye on protecting them due to having a small squad at present, and this first preseason will be more about fitness than getting the team to gel.
Very much the case listening to Physio Danny’s latest interview on the club website. Each individual player has their own fitness programme which will determine how much game time they will have. Will expect to see several trainees and trialists involved today.

Carl Airey

Post by Carl Airey » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:03 pm

Anyone driving to the match try and avoid Sainsburys roundabout as the road is blocked off due to an accident.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:05 pm

Thought we played well and some good performances from the lads. looks like we may have the old difficulty with scoring issues though, although created plenty of chances.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Watched it through Quaker TV (excellent as always).

Thought there was plenty to like about how we played. Particularly liked the midfield 3 of Purver, Wheatley and Hatfield very solid and happy with the combinations we can play of those players. Thought Hope put in a very competent performance too. Up the top of the pitch, thought Dos Santos looked good second half plenty of pace and trickery, more work to do in terms of goals scored but not surprising based on the amount of training we've been able to undertake. Not unexpectedly we ran out of steam a bit in the end and struggled with the changes that we made, but all in all thought it was a fairly promising performance for a first real preseason friendly.

Only slight disappointment for me was the lack of trialists in the match day squad. Was hoping there'd be a few more players we could be having a look at.

More physcial test to come against Harrogate on Tuesday, which will be a good test considering that has been a weakness of ours for a couple of seasons. All good minutes in the legs ready for the season.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:24 pm

50 years wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:05 pm
Thought we played well and some good performances from the lads. looks like we may have the old difficulty with scoring issues though, although created plenty of chances.
Agreed we played some good football at times and all of the new lads showed some nice touches. Both left backs Hope and Smith looked lively and I was impressed with Purver and Mondal. Pity Lexus came off with an injury because we missed his presence late on conceding 2 goals. Hope it is precautionary rather than anything serious. Overall a good workout some excellent passing and plenty of promise moving forward. Desperately need to add some more depth to the squad but a decent nucleus to build on.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:02 pm

Thought we played well today but the best bit was being back at BM with a crowd and seeing mates.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:19 pm

It was a very encouraging performance, with some great individual displays. Thought Beeden at the back looked excellent, no idea where he is from or if we've signed him. I thought the scoreline didn't reflect the balance of the game & we count ourselves very unlucky to lose.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:It was a very encouraging performance, with some great individual displays. Thought Beeden at the back looked excellent, no idea where he is from or if we've signed him. I thought the scoreline didn't reflect the balance of the game & we count ourselves very unlucky to lose.
Thought we played some nice, one touch football for large parts of the game and the scoreline was very harsh on us.Lots of positives considering this was only our 2nd competitive game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:19 pm
It was a very encouraging performance, with some great individual displays. Thought Beeden at the back looked excellent, no idea where he is from or if we've signed him. I thought the scoreline didn't reflect the balance of the game & we count ourselves very unlucky to lose.
lexus signed yes, originally from North London(arsenal fan) sharing a flat with a friend who plays for Mboro. Thought Hedley had a good game he sometimes gets caught by pacey wingers but read the ball excellent and tackles were spot on. We have two good fullbacks on both sides which is good. Believe Will can get further forward and hoping he can assist Charman more, another striker needed.
Rivers his usual self step overs and taking people on, some he beats some he loses, Mondal was a little more reserved but held onto the ball better but not as attacking. Roll on Tuesday