Phillips New Manager at South Shields

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Phillips New Manager at South Shields

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 am

Graham Fenton has been replaced by former Sunderland star Kevin Phillips as manager of South Shields. On the face of it looks like an interesting appointment and one that reinforces the ambition of the club.

Spyman

Re: Phillips New Manager at South Shields

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm

Not sure you can say that replacing a manager who has overseen a period of unprecedented success for the club with one who has no managerial experience and seemingly little knowledge of non-league football "reinforces their ambitions", but each to their own.

On the face of it, it looks like a terrible decision to me. I suppose they might attract a couple of big name players looking for a final pay day, but nothing else about it really appeals.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:52 pm

Kevin phillips did start out in non league but that was years ago. Must be pushing 50 now and seems a bit late on to be getting his first job in management. Im sure he will pull in big crowds though due to alot of south shields so called life long fans been really Sunderland fans anyway.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:55 pm

Spyman wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm
Not sure you can say that replacing a manager who has overseen a period of unprecedented success for the club with one who has no managerial experience and seemingly little knowledge of non-league football "reinforces their ambitions", but each to their own.

On the face of it, it looks like a terrible decision to me. I suppose they might attract a couple of big name players looking for a final pay day, but nothing else about it really appeals.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Some ex premier league players have done well in non league, particularly if they start out at non league level as players and/or coaches and get a flavour of the scene before becoming managers but ive seen more failures than success
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:03 am

Spyman wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm
On the face of it, it looks like a terrible decision to me
Agreed - well it is at the very least extremely risky. Take it the owners at Shields is a Sunderland fan?