New Manager Interviews this week

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

H1987
Posts: 1305
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by H1987 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:31 am

Styche is by far and away the best striker we've had in yonks. But I assume he's under contract, and we can't afford to bring him back, so it's a non starter. The guy clearly didn't want to leave, and was sold for financial reasons. A shame, but that's what happens when managers spend far too much money on failed signings. We have to sell the successful ones to cover the cost of the mistakes.

I'd sooner we chuck some money at Omar Holness. Get him back for next year, and build the midfield around him (at least it doesn't involve a transfer fee).

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4013
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

H1987 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:31 am
But I assume he's under contract, and we can't afford to bring him back, so it's a non starter.
You're probably right but there's always a chance because strange things can happen in football and as fans we simply don't know all the intricate details re contracts and money etc. Don't forget there were a few unresolved financial things from last season that D.J. referred to; some cars, a gift from a will, that sort of thing.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

onewayup
Posts: 1713
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by onewayup » Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 am

As far as bringing new players to the club it's a question of who is appointed manager, what did/didn't go off before with Tommy re styche will have no bearing on what happens when the new man/woman manager is appointed, so we will have to wait and see who's appointed in a couple of weeks time ,hopefully we all get behind whoever has it is and we have a great start to the new season. Onwards and upwards with Darlington FC. Another season another challenge.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12133
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 10, 2019 6:23 pm

It's not a question of Styche wanting to join us, if true, as it'll be up to the new manager. Whoever gets the job, will have to balance the books and the team. There is no point bringing in Styche if we have to weaken other parts of the team.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by LoidLucan » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm

I don't suppose that when Thirlwell, Aspin, Armstrong or McGurk take the reins they'll be under any sort of pressure to sign players who have been with us in the past. I would imagine they would want a clean slate, taking into account contracted players, to put together the side they want with players they regard as a good fit and of the right character. I'm sure that's what they would insist on and what they would get, while obviously taking into account what we can afford. The club is moving on with a fresh start.

jjljks
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by jjljks » Sat May 11, 2019 5:09 am

To grab some headlines, what about Theresa May? Think she may become free shortly, although probably not good enough to get us into Europe and could insist on a change of shirt colour.

banktopp
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by banktopp » Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 am

jjljks wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:09 am
To grab some headlines, what about Theresa May? Think she may become free shortly, although probably not good enough to get us into Europe and could insist on a change of shirt colour.
There would be no unity in the team, the left side would be at odds with the right side, and some might not even turn up for training.
So no change then.

jjljks
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by jjljks » Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 am

Yes, you have a point there. Had not thought that one through properly😱

LoidLucan
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:57 am

It's gone very quiet at blyth since AA said it would be devastating to break the side up and he would be meeting with the directors and players. In the meantine their boost the budget to help keep the players there has struggled to edge to £2,000.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:05 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's gone very quiet at blyth since AA said it would be devastating to break the side up and he would be meeting with the directors and players. In the meantine their boost the budget to help keep the players there has struggled to edge to £2,000.
Have you heard any rumours about our shortlisted candidates Lucan, very quiet on this front surprisingly which is unusual for this board.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


LoidLucan
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 pm

No, but I guess it would be wrong if real candidates' names made their way into the public arena as opposed to us all speculating. Sounds like it will be all done and dusted in a matter of days anyway.

quakersfan
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by quakersfan » Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Heard tonight initial interviews were done by Chris Stockdale, John Saddington and Jon Woolnough, not sure when DJ will be involved, possibly 2nd interviews. Very clear though that the DFCSG are in full control of the recruiting process.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 12, 2019 9:50 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm
Heard tonight initial interviews were done by Chris Stockdale, John Saddington and Jon Woolnough, not sure when DJ will be involved, possibly 2nd interviews. Very clear though that the DFCSG are in full control of the recruiting process.
I don’t understand from what you have written, why you think DFCSG are in control, sounds like they have one place on the panel, which seems reasonable. Can you elaborate?

Do you think it’s good that the majority owners are involved in the recruitment process?

Darlogramps
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Presumably John Saddington is actually John Vickerman, the HR guy who's been running the process?

Either way, quakersfan is demonstrating his/her anti-DFCSG agenda again. Not sure why the need for the sly comments all the time. Much better to be open about what the issue is, or we can just write him/her off as a crank with an agenda, who's too cowardly to say what their problem is.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 13, 2019 6:05 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:03 pm
Presumably John Saddington is actually John Vickerman, the HR guy who's been running the process?

Either way, quakersfan is demonstrating his/her anti-DFCSG agenda again. Not sure why the need for the sly comments all the time. Much better to be open about what the issue is, or we can just write him/her off as a crank with an agenda, who's too cowardly to say what their problem is.
We do have a John Saddington on the DFCSG board, however Dave Johnston has clearly stated that John Vickerman is running the recruitment process.

Quakersfan most certainly has a reason that they want to undermine the DFCSG but is not willing to really say why, just trying to undermine them somehow.

Be good if they were just honest and say why really.

In the grand scheme of things I wouldn’t care if DFCSG has all the people on the interview panel, if they had the experience etc.

quakersfan
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by quakersfan » Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:03 pm
Presumably John Saddington is actually John Vickerman, the HR guy who's been running the process?

Either way, quakersfan is demonstrating his/her anti-DFCSG agenda again. Not sure why the need for the sly comments all the time. Much better to be open about what the issue is, or we can just write him/her off as a crank with an agenda, who's too cowardly to say what their problem is.
I’m not anti DFCSG at all I’m a bloody member! I’m just saying who was doing first interviews. DJ on his statement on official web site has said already Vickerman wasn’t there due to a family engagement.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 13, 2019 6:48 am

I might have missed it but where does it say he wasn’t doing the interviews?

Why do you think people believe you have an anti DFCSG agenda?
“DJ wrote:John Vickerman sadly could not make this evening due to a family commitment but John brings with him significant Board experience from FTSE top 100 companies and he has proved already in his tenure to be a superb appointment. As a Human Resources Director he is currently running the manager recruitment process with utmost professionalism

quakersfan
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by quakersfan » Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 am

I was told at the players awards by a DFCSG board member who was doing interviews so what is your problem.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 13, 2019 7:19 am

quakersfan wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:03 pm
Presumably John Saddington is actually John Vickerman, the HR guy who's been running the process?

Either way, quakersfan is demonstrating his/her anti-DFCSG agenda again. Not sure why the need for the sly comments all the time. Much better to be open about what the issue is, or we can just write him/her off as a crank with an agenda, who's too cowardly to say what their problem is.
I’m not anti DFCSG at all I’m a bloody member! I’m just saying who was doing first interviews. DJ on his statement on official web site has said already Vickerman wasn’t there due to a family engagement.
You've clearly got some sort of agenda, because of your obsessive, sly comments about the DFCSG all the time. This is the 5th time now, so no one is buying your "I'm just pointing out..." act.

You can insist all you like, but your repeated comments about the DFCSG, and then ultra-defensiveness when challenged has convinced me and others you have an agenda.

As for Vickerman, if you read DJ's speech transcript properly, you'll see he says Vickerman couldn't attend the awards evening because of a family engagement. Nothing at all mentioned about him missing the interviews.

So there's another thing you've got wrong.




If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am

quakersfan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 am
I was told at the players awards by a DFCSG board member who was doing interviews so what is your problem.
You said it was on the website, now you are saying you were told at the awards, which one is it?

Also do you think it’s good or bad that DFCSG are involved?

In regards to problems I don’t have one, just wondering why you keep making these comments but then don’t back them up with your opinion. Especially when most of the comments are unsubstantiated, you said that Dave Johnston just does as the DFCSG says and now that they are running the interview process. However you start crying every time any facts or opposite view is given, seems strange behaviour to me and clearly some others.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 am

How it comes across to me is that quakersfan is very angry that TW is not still the manager. That he feels he should have been retained for next season, that the supporters group had it in for him and that now the group has undue influence in selecting the new man. That the process is not what it should be. That's how it comes across and he needs to let it go and move on. It seems to me everything is being done as was spelled in advance and with excellent input across the board.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by loan_star » Mon May 13, 2019 11:30 am

I'm fairly certain it was in DJ's speech that Vickerman was not "at the awards night due to a family commitment", not that he wasnt doing the interviews.
Last edited by loan_star on Mon May 13, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MKDarlo
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:39 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by MKDarlo » Mon May 13, 2019 11:30 am

Personally i don't mind who is interviewing who and what the process is. I am happy to let that process play out and let the people in the room make the decision based on a face to face selection process rather than we should have X because he has a name I recognize! The successful candidate has to be the best fit for BOTH sides of the equation

quakersfan
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by quakersfan » Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am
quakersfan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 am
I was told at the players awards by a DFCSG board member who was doing interviews so what is your problem.
You said it was on the website, now you are saying you were told at the awards, which one is it?

Also do you think it’s good or bad that DFCSG are involved?

In regards to problems I don’t have one, just wondering why you keep making these comments but then don’t back them up with your opinion. Especially when most of the comments are unsubstantiated, you said that Dave Johnston just does as the DFCSG says and now that they are running the interview process. However you start crying every time any facts or opposite view is given, seems strange behaviour to me and clearly some others.
It’s great that as the main shareholder the DFCSG are involved in the recruitment process I’ve never said otherwise. However just because I don’t always agree with you on the things doesn’t make you right and me wrong.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am
quakersfan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 am
I was told at the players awards by a DFCSG board member who was doing interviews so what is your problem.
You said it was on the website, now you are saying you were told at the awards, which one is it?

Also do you think it’s good or bad that DFCSG are involved?

In regards to problems I don’t have one, just wondering why you keep making these comments but then don’t back them up with your opinion. Especially when most of the comments are unsubstantiated, you said that Dave Johnston just does as the DFCSG says and now that they are running the interview process. However you start crying every time any facts or opposite view is given, seems strange behaviour to me and clearly some others.
It’s great that as the main shareholder the DFCSG are involved in the recruitment process I’ve never said otherwise. However just because I don’t always agree with you on the things doesn’t make you right and me wrong.
So when you said the below, what did you mean by are in full control, what was your point? Did you think full control was good or bad?

Also you haven't answered why you said it was on the website that John Vickerman wasn't involved because of a personal reason, when this simply wasn't true, he didn't make the awards ceremony because of a personal engagement? Did you get this wrong or is he not involved and Johnston is lying?
quakersfan wrote:Heard tonight initial interviews were done by Chris Stockdale, John Saddington and Jon Woolnough, not sure when DJ will be involved, possibly 2nd interviews. Very clear though that the DFCSG are in full control of the recruiting process.
As for agreeing, I don't expect everyone to agree, I actually haven't picked up on any opinion of yours that I disagree with, it's more the facts you distort for some bizarre reason. It's clearly not just me who has picked up on this.

quakersfan
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by quakersfan » Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Super Les you need to chill. At the end of the day we all want DFC to be a success but we may have different views in how to achieve this.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5514
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm
Super Les you need to chill. At the end of the day we all want DFC to be a success but we may have different views in how to achieve this.
I am very chilled.

Now stop deflecting and answer the questions. Also what is your view on how DFC should be successful? Do you support the fan model or would you prefer someone who owns it out right?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 pm

First player is out the exit door at Blyth, midfielder Kieran Green joins York City. Not a word from AA about it. Meanwhile their Boost the Budget is stuck on £1,900.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm

LoidLucan wrote:First player is out the exit door at Blyth, midfielder Kieran Green joins York City. Not a word from AA about it.
Wouldn't mind Jameson,McGuire and Buddle at BM next season

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


LoidLucan
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 pm

You never know... if AA's in for our job and gets it. The Blyth fans are braced for a mass exodus. You'd never please all the fans whoever was selected here but Armstrong's probably the one who would meet with most support, given his impressive record at Blyth on limited resources. I could see Boost the Budget soaring up to its target. Didn't Hodgy sign him for us at The Arena?

Post Reply