Grange Road Sign

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

quakersfan
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Grange Road Sign

Post by quakersfan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:08 am

Anyone know the update on this last thing I heard is that
few designs have been done but it’s all gone quiet. It should really be in place for next season.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12837
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:36 am

The rugby club probably think the temporary flags that can be removed straight after the game are more than adequate. It's embarrassing!! I was talking to a Bradford PA fan on Friday and he said where in the ground or bar does it mention that the place is home to the football club, I had to sadly admit nowhere apart from at the entrance and that evidence is removed straight after the match has finished.

quakersfan
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by quakersfan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 am

DFC should tell RC if its not up for the new season then the clubs advice is to advise fans not to use it, the loss of revenue would make a sign appear I’m sure. Just a thought but in the meantime see if we can put a marquee up at Blackwell Hotel.
Last edited by quakersfan on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 am

Pete, they removed the signs from Grange Road at 2 mins to 3 the other week before the match had even started.Could not believe it

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:09 am

Well I left 5 mins early on Friday to catch my train and as I were walking over the back field there were a gang of young (15/16 yrs) yooofs walking towards BM and one yooof said what's going on there and another said its rugby you dick ITS a RUGBY ground!!!! And that really made me chuckle and summed up the place really..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4448
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 am

I live twenty miles south of Darlo and the number one question people ask me about DFC is “where do they play now?” - people simply do not know where we are.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:34 am

Same Question I get asked too

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:43 am

The signs are removed by the car park volunteer and are removed at that time to ensure they are not left overnight as he has other duties after game

LoidLucan
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:04 am

Given that we have played at 4 venues in the past 16 years it's not surprising that fans, particularly of clubs we haven't played for some considerable time, aren't that clear on where we are now. Lots of these fans don't take any interest in us now we are lower down the pyramid. It's not because of a lack of signage.

Fans at National North level don't know where we are because often there are only about 25 (or fewer) who travel to BM for a match.

lifetime darlo fan
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:15 am

This is a total none issue. I do wonder what benefit people feel it achieved when they complain about such insignificant matters.

I stood alongside a neutral fan on Friday who only attended the match as he was visiting family locally. He spoke very highly of our little ground and on a personal level what more do people expect at this stage. If a sign outside the ground is an issue to some people then in my opinion they need to give their heads a shake

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 am

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a non-issue. It's only a sign some people say, but it's what the lack of signage represents, rather than the lack of proper signage itself, that is the issue for most.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

H1987
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by H1987 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:47 am

I’d prefer we worked on getting the ground up to standards, such as working towards a terrace at the empty end.

I was back again on a Friday for the match, and, for all its faults, I still far prefer it to anything we have had since Feethams.

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Darlospike » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Two words..."Tin" and "Pot" we are Darlington football club. We've been on some amazing journeys, some not so. One thing that gripes me, lack of respect from the rugby club. It's a fuckin sign, make us feel welcome! To be honest I hate the place.
I like exclamation marks!!!

Mister e
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Mister e » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Nuneaton town share with the rugby club and even though they have been at each others throats there are two separate plaques outside the ground welcoming you to both Nuneaton rugby and football clubs.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12837
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:27 pm

I don't like BM either, I'd prefer to be back at HP. It doesn't feel like a football ground, it feels like a rugby ground, where they play football.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6236
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:27 pm
I don't like BM either, I'd prefer to be back at HP. It doesn't feel like a football ground, it feels like a rugby ground, where they play football.
Thats because it is a rugby ground where they play football.
And we know what would happen if we went back to HP.

Beano
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I don't like BM either, I'd prefer to be back at HP. It doesn't feel like a football ground, it feels like a rugby ground, where they play football.
Thing is, on match day, it genuinely feels like our ground.

All the neutrals I’ve taken with me this season thought BM was tidy and only lacked height in the stands and banking.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Beano wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I don't like BM either, I'd prefer to be back at HP. It doesn't feel like a football ground, it feels like a rugby ground, where they play football.
Thing is, on match day, it genuinely feels like our ground.

All the neutrals I’ve taken with me this season thought BM was tidy and only lacked height in the stands and banking.
One snag it ain't and never will be and I don't want it to be..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Beano
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:40 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Beano wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I don't like BM either, I'd prefer to be back at HP. It doesn't feel like a football ground, it feels like a rugby ground, where they play football.
Thing is, on match day, it genuinely feels like our ground.

All the neutrals I’ve taken with me this season thought BM was tidy and only lacked height in the stands and banking.
One snag it ain't and never will be and I don't want it to be..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I look forward to your £20,000,000 donation to secure a brand new ground of our own in the centre of town.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Beano wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Beano wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I don't like BM either, I'd prefer to be back at HP. It doesn't feel like a football ground, it feels like a rugby ground, where they play football.
Thing is, on match day, it genuinely feels like our ground.

All the neutrals I’ve taken with me this season thought BM was tidy and only lacked height in the stands and banking.
One snag it ain't and never will be and I don't want it to be..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I look forward to your £20,000,000 donation to secure a brand new ground of our own in the centre of town.
So do I to get away from the Shi*hole..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


H1987
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am

I'm sure there's a direct correlation between those that incessantly moan about Blackwell and those who think moving back into the white elephant is a good idea.

We've worked with, and improved Blackwell since we've been there, and it's a work in progress. Yes, I think the rugby club have been petty about a few things, but then the way some of our fans go on is just as bad.

We can work as fans to make the place feel more like home as well. Paying for signs, flags, banners, working with the club & rugby club to decorate the place on a matchday etc. But... it's simply better than anything else we've had so far. Why would anyone prefer Heritage Park at this point? It had less facilities than we do now - although i take the point about the sight lines from standing which still need work. But we had no branding there at all either. But first and foremost, it wasn't in Darlington, and it was nowhere near any form of transport so you had to drive - and the parking wasn't great either.

You can walk to BM from the town, from the train station, from the pub. It's way better. I've fond memories of Heritage Park, but a lot of them are circumstantial. I dare say our crowds would have dipped significantly over the past couple of years if folks were still having to trail through there. Especially midweek, and combined with poor form. We had to move back, and this is all we could afford.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6236
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am
I'm sure there's a direct correlation between those that incessantly moan about Blackwell and those who think moving back into the white elephant is a good idea.

We've worked with, and improved Blackwell since we've been there, and it's a work in progress. Yes, I think the rugby club have been petty about a few things, but then the way some of our fans go on is just as bad.

We can work as fans to make the place feel more like home as well. Paying for signs, flags, banners, working with the club & rugby club to decorate the place on a matchday etc. But... it's simply better than anything else we've had so far. Why would anyone prefer Heritage Park at this point? It had less facilities than we do now - although i take the point about the sight lines from standing which still need work. But we had no branding there at all either. But first and foremost, it wasn't in Darlington, and it was nowhere near any form of transport so you had to drive - and the parking wasn't great either.

You can walk to BM from the town, from the train station, from the pub. It's way better. I've fond memories of Heritage Park, but a lot of them are circumstantial. I dare say our crowds would have dipped significantly over the past couple of years if folks were still having to trail through there. Especially midweek, and combined with poor form. We had to move back, and this is all we could afford.
:clap: great post

real_darlo_85
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am
I'm sure there's a direct correlation between those that incessantly moan about Blackwell and those who think moving back into the white elephant is a good idea.

We've worked with, and improved Blackwell since we've been there, and it's a work in progress. Yes, I think the rugby club have been petty about a few things, but then the way some of our fans go on is just as bad.

We can work as fans to make the place feel more like home as well. Paying for signs, flags, banners, working with the club & rugby club to decorate the place on a matchday etc. But... it's simply better than anything else we've had so far. Why would anyone prefer Heritage Park at this point? It had less facilities than we do now - although i take the point about the sight lines from standing which still need work. But we had no branding there at all either. But first and foremost, it wasn't in Darlington, and it was nowhere near any form of transport so you had to drive - and the parking wasn't great either.

You can walk to BM from the town, from the train station, from the pub. It's way better. I've fond memories of Heritage Park, but a lot of them are circumstantial. I dare say our crowds would have dipped significantly over the past couple of years if folks were still having to trail through there. Especially midweek, and combined with poor form. We had to move back, and this is all we could afford.
There is potential with Blackwell Meadows and it could theoretically be turned into a Feethams mark 2. However, I understand the frustration that some have of the rugby club's pettiness of signage and 'sharing' of facilities, for this partnership to work there has to be a level of give and take. They are taking a fair wedge of what we bring to the table in terms of rent and updating the pitch/stands, so the fact that the facilities are still rugby facilities is petty and too right we should let them know that this is far too one-sided.

If we carry on getting ripped off and a raw deal out of this then the only other option is the arena/proposed sporting hub, if it means our football club gets a better deal. Also to say Blackwell is better accessible to town/transport is folly, as it's about the same distance to the Arena and there are more shops/pubs on Neasham Road than out towards the ground at Blackwell Meadows.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Beano
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:04 pm

loan_star wrote:
H1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am
I'm sure there's a direct correlation between those that incessantly moan about Blackwell and those who think moving back into the white elephant is a good idea.

We've worked with, and improved Blackwell since we've been there, and it's a work in progress. Yes, I think the rugby club have been petty about a few things, but then the way some of our fans go on is just as bad.

We can work as fans to make the place feel more like home as well. Paying for signs, flags, banners, working with the club & rugby club to decorate the place on a matchday etc. But... it's simply better than anything else we've had so far. Why would anyone prefer Heritage Park at this point? It had less facilities than we do now - although i take the point about the sight lines from standing which still need work. But we had no branding there at all either. But first and foremost, it wasn't in Darlington, and it was nowhere near any form of transport so you had to drive - and the parking wasn't great either.

You can walk to BM from the town, from the train station, from the pub. It's way better. I've fond memories of Heritage Park, but a lot of them are circumstantial. I dare say our crowds would have dipped significantly over the past couple of years if folks were still having to trail through there. Especially midweek, and combined with poor form. We had to move back, and this is all we could afford.
:clap: great post
Seconded.

H1987
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm
H1987 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am
I'm sure there's a direct correlation between those that incessantly moan about Blackwell and those who think moving back into the white elephant is a good idea.

We've worked with, and improved Blackwell since we've been there, and it's a work in progress. Yes, I think the rugby club have been petty about a few things, but then the way some of our fans go on is just as bad.

We can work as fans to make the place feel more like home as well. Paying for signs, flags, banners, working with the club & rugby club to decorate the place on a matchday etc. But... it's simply better than anything else we've had so far. Why would anyone prefer Heritage Park at this point? It had less facilities than we do now - although i take the point about the sight lines from standing which still need work. But we had no branding there at all either. But first and foremost, it wasn't in Darlington, and it was nowhere near any form of transport so you had to drive - and the parking wasn't great either.

You can walk to BM from the town, from the train station, from the pub. It's way better. I've fond memories of Heritage Park, but a lot of them are circumstantial. I dare say our crowds would have dipped significantly over the past couple of years if folks were still having to trail through there. Especially midweek, and combined with poor form. We had to move back, and this is all we could afford.
There is potential with Blackwell Meadows and it could theoretically be turned into a Feethams mark 2. However, I understand the frustration that some have of the rugby club's pettiness of signage and 'sharing' of facilities, for this partnership to work there has to be a level of give and take. They are taking a fair wedge of what we bring to the table in terms of rent and updating the pitch/stands, so the fact that the facilities are still rugby facilities is petty and too right we should let them know that this is far too one-sided.

If we carry on getting ripped off and a raw deal out of this then the only other option is the arena/proposed sporting hub, if it means our football club gets a better deal. Also to say Blackwell is better accessible to town/transport is folly, as it's about the same distance to the Arena and there are more shops/pubs on Neasham Road than out towards the ground at Blackwell Meadows.
It's a much shorter, and also flatter walk from the town. I don't really have the time to drag up the facts from google maps, but i'm fairly certain it's geographically closer to, say, the town clock as the crow flies. I mean, the copper beach is nearby, but one day i'd hope we'll have our own clubhouse.

I totally disagree with, based on what we have been given in terms of details, that we are being ripped off. My only real issue based on the finances is that we shouldn't be giving the rugby club that percentage from sponsorship boards and the like that the football club have secured. They literally do no work for it, and it's placed on infrastructure we paid for. 20% is overly generous.

That's relatively minor though. Just like the sign is minor. I'd like to think, over time, a few more touches will be around as we leave our mark on the place. I'd sooner we work on building a positive relationship rather than snipe from the sidelines at them.

That aside, the Arena would rent wouldn't be cheaper, the sporting village idea is nonsense unless we find a few million quid. We just need to accept and work with what we have.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12837
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am

I don't know why we can't have a proper fixed sign, that doesn't have to be removed. The temporary one's that are there look a bit naff in my opinion.

spen666
Posts: 1767
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:46 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am
....

I totally disagree with, based on what we have been given in terms of details, that we are being ripped off. My only real issue based on the finances is that we shouldn't be giving the rugby club that percentage from sponsorship boards and the like that the football club have secured. They literally do no work for it, and it's placed on infrastructure we paid for. 20% is overly generous.

....
I am guessing that as DFC only hire the rugby club for the period of and around the game, if there was not a % sharing agreement, then DRFC could insist the boards are removed after every game as DFC have no rights to the facilities outside of those times.

I am guessing the % deal is easier for DFC that the alternative I suggest



PS who pays for the cost of the boards, maintenance etc

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:15 pm

A fixed sign is probably not a high priority whilst SV talks are ongoing. Somebody mentioned that fans comment on negative aspects and ignore positive improvements. They recently changed bar q system so is it working better (Darlo Pete?)

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12837
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 pm

They have changed the bar queuing system, but it hasn't made a significant difference and it is a very small step in changing peoples opinions of BM.

H1987
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Grange Road Sign

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:46 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am
....

I totally disagree with, based on what we have been given in terms of details, that we are being ripped off. My only real issue based on the finances is that we shouldn't be giving the rugby club that percentage from sponsorship boards and the like that the football club have secured. They literally do no work for it, and it's placed on infrastructure we paid for. 20% is overly generous.

....
I am guessing that as DFC only hire the rugby club for the period of and around the game, if there was not a % sharing agreement, then DRFC could insist the boards are removed after every game as DFC have no rights to the facilities outside of those times.

I am guessing the % deal is easier for DFC that the alternative I suggest



PS who pays for the cost of the boards, maintenance etc
Well yes, but there's absolutely no one there to look at them otherwise. The sponsorship is there because the football club is there, and is placed on infrastructure that we built. As to the the latter point, we pay for maintenance I believe, and the boards seem to come through a screen printing company who are associated with the football club, so i don't get the sense the Rugby club are involved in any way.

I've no real objection to a token amount, but 20% is high. Also, i can't emphasise enough how minor a gripe this is. Just like bar takes (situation better than Bishop, we actually get something here), and signage (again, better than Bishop, at least we have temporary signage here, as opposed to none)...

The positive changes seem to be constantly overlooked. The food outlets have been tidied up since opening (although imo still need work), the views have improved (club actioned feedback on dugout location, plastic on them etc), the stand has been extended, which imo makes a big difference to the feel of the place and provides adequate seating...

So yeah. I think all of it could do with some elevation. It needs a stand at the empty end. Loads of bits can be made better - but the point is that it *is* getting better, slowly.

Post Reply