Staunton goes

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Staunton goes

Post by TFDM » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:38 am

He has gone.

Check the official site.

oldboyaughton
Team Supported: Darlington/DCC

Re: Staunton goes

Post by oldboyaughton » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:40 am

TFDM wrote:He has gone.

Check the official site.
On sky now and talk sport
"Just Who Is The 5 O'clock Hero?"

screaminscull

Post by screaminscull » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 am

Thank god for that well done raj .

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:46 am

Sacked ! His time had come for me. Hopefully the players can buck up their ideas and the new guy can jeer them up or just simply kick them out.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:50 am

I was not expecting this at all and thought RS would have at least waited until the end of the season as it would have saved him money, however I think this is the correct decision, maybe lidds in until the end of the season and see what he can do.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:51 am

Whilst recent results have been awful, I just don't see what another coach will be able to so with this bunch of clowns. J guess something had to change tho.

piggy

Post by piggy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 am

Fantastic news. We go forward from here. Well done Raj for having the courage.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:56 am

I disagree completely with your "bunch of clowns" comment. I think there is potential within the players we have got and it has shone through on occasions but for whatever reason SS was not able to bring it out on a consistent basis. SS was a poor manager, altho good at unearthing the odd gem. This was the only sensible way forward.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 am

Bollocks decision. 12 games left, no chance of staying up - what's a new manager going to achieve? Naive decision by a chairman who's probably spent to long listening to half of you c**** on here.

Funny things is, Lidds takes over, loses last 12 games but is still a hero. To be fair, Staunton couldn't win could he.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:59 am

I am disappointed. I wanted him to at least have a chance next year.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Yeah I'd agree with LoidLucan on this one. He seemed to do a lot of things right during the week, knowing what players should and shouldn't be doing and had an eye for a decent signing. Every manager brings in duff players and Staunton was no different. However he made some good signings. However he clearly couldn't handle Saturdays or take the pressure off his players.

He could make a decent assistant manager in the mould of Martin Gray. But as a manager he clearly can't do the job. He obviously gets frustrated as well at players not being good enough to do what he wants. As a lower league manager you have to expect that and work with them to get the best out of a player. Staunton seemed incapable of doing that.

Well done Raj for making a brave decision. Hopefully now we can get someone in who can sort things out over the summer. Staunton had to go.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Even though I wanted rid I must say this is a bloody daft decision.

We're down, have nothing to play for and Staunton's contract was up in the summer. Why bother paying him compensation now when we could have got rid for free after a few more meaningless games?

Madness.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:02 pm

We don't know if he has been paid off or not

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:03 pm

He was the best candidate last time round, what makes anyone think we can attract anyone better now we are in an even worse position?

And as for those saying bad timing, you asked for it.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Fortunately Raj has got more sense and he is best placed to know exactly what has been going on. This shambles really couldn't go on much longer.
The timing is also right if we can get someone in to assess things and start putting out the feelers for what's needed for next season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:06 pm

At least it'll give the new manager a chance to assess what's he got at the club already, before the end of the season.

aveda

Post by aveda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Will be interesting to see how Raj sees it. Will he appoint someone permanent straight away so that they get to see what is here or will he leave it til the end of the season ? I think Staunton had to go. You can blame Houghton or whoever for the lack of money etc but there is no excuse for the piss poor organisation on the field and lack of effort and interest. Whatever the skill level of the players they should have commitment and know their jobs.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:At least it'll give the new manager a chance to assess what's he got at the club already, before the end of the season.
I imagine Raj is thinking that this gives him some time to make a good decision on the next manager. There's certainly no rush to appoint someone given that we're relegated anyway.

It also gives the new manager a good amount of time to get the grips with the club, players etc and plan a good pre-season as well as sound out potential signings and who he wants rid of.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:29 pm

That's exactly right. What would have been completely pointless (literally) and futile was just to let SS tread water until the end of the season before sacking him then. This gives us and the new man some breathing space to get it right.

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 pm

After the game yesterday he had to go. He must rate as one of our worst managers ever. I wanted to give him a chance and backed him however yesterday was the final straw for me.

Thank you raj!
Reno Raines

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 pm

This board is not a true reflection of people's opinions. I know of many people who are not at all happy with this decision. Unfortunately its mainly people who have bad things to say that register and post so we always get that side of it.

aveda

Post by aveda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Shieldsy wrote:This board is not a true reflection of people's opinions. I know of many people who are not at all happy with this decision. Unfortunately its mainly people who have bad things to say that register and post so we always get that side of it.
I very rarely post negative stuff but in 30 odd years of watching Darlo this is the worst organised and gutless side I have seen. Even Dave Booth's team had fight, they were just crap.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Shieldsy wrote:This board is not a true reflection of people's opinions. I know of many people who are not at all happy with this decision. Unfortunately its mainly people who have bad things to say that register and post so we always get that side of it.
I know many people who don't post on this board who wanted Staunton out after yesterday's match. He's gone Shiedlsy and had to go. Get over it.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Raj has made the decision based on results, performances, SS' management skills, our future prospects and other issues behind the scenes that we are not party to. People voiced their opinions on here but the decision will have been taken on the fundamental issue of whether he was capable of taking this club forward and bring some better times ahead. Everything suggested he fell well short in that regard. I would have been delighted if SS was able to give us that spark, that fight and passion to take us forward but sadly he couldn't. We were stuck in a downward spiral and SS clearly didn't know what to do. It's sad but that's football and it's time to move on.

LC41

Post by LC41 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:40 pm

In amongst all the "Well done Raj" and "Brave decision Raj" I can't help but think that the main factor behind this decision and it's timing was the attendance yesterday.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm sure it was a factor. The public gave its verdict on SS by staying away and I'm sure selling season tickets was a factor. That's the way it should be.

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:At least it'll give the new manager a chance to assess what's he got at the club already, before the end of the season.

didnt think i would hear myself say this, but your right pete, i know i wanted staunton given till christmas, but get a new exprienced man in now asses the squad like you said pete, so basicly next season starts now, hate to say this co's were as good as down anyway, so plan now.

The Tees Mouth

Post by The Tees Mouth » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:47 pm

From international management to sacked by us -

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:04 pm

After yesterdays game something had to happem, ive only missed 1 game in over 200 games but after yesterdays performance i was going to stay away on tuesday night, no way am i shelling £36 to watch that, now i'd love to see Raj try bring someone like Mark Cooper

The Tees Mouth

Post by The Tees Mouth » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:11 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:After yesterdays game something had to happem, ive only missed 1 game in over 200 games but after yesterdays performance i was going to stay away on tuesday night, no way am i shelling £36 to watch that, now i'd love to see Raj try bring someone like Mark Cooper
I too was struggling during and after yesterday's game and was still going to be going on tuesday even though I really didn't want to. However I think Raj has done the right thing at the right time here and I appreciate that. He backed Stan all the way but he wasn't good enough and Raj hasn't sat back and allowed him to continue in the BSP. As a result I think Raj deserves a few more turning up to show they do still love the club and were just disillusioned with the shite staunton was offering up.