Blackwell Meadows Signage

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Blackwell Meadows Signage

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:47 am

Finally the Rugby club are adding our crest to the sign that's by the main road, sounds like the new board are keen for us to stay.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Blackwell Meadows Signage

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am

Without the football club, could they survive given how things are at the moment?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:10 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:47 am
Finally the Rugby club are adding our crest to the sign that's by the main road, sounds like the new board are keen for us to stay.
Pure speculation but wonder if the Arena contract has anything to do with the seemingly softening of attitude.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:22 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:10 am
Darlo_CR wrote:
Pure speculation but wonder if the Arena contract has anything to do with the seemingly softening of attitude.
Could well be a combination of these things. Firstly a more sympathetic board at the rugby club and secondly that if we leave they would lose an awful lot of money.

I really don't think the sign matters much anyway, I'm far more interested in improvements to the matchday experience itself at Blackwell if we are staying. While I've heavily opposed the Arena, the threat of us potentially upping sticks to there may well have strengthened our hand in negotiating over Blackwell and our future there.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:59 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:22 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Could well be a combination of these things. Firstly a more sympathetic board at the rugby club and secondly that if we leave they would lose an awful lot of money.

I really don't think the sign matters much anyway, I'm far more interested in improvements to the matchday experience itself at Blackwell if we are staying. While I've heavily opposed the Arena, the threat of us potentially upping sticks to there may well have strengthened our hand in negotiating over Blackwell and our future there.
I know a lot hate the Arena, but BM always depresses me for the simple fact I do not see how we can get it up to league standard.
Before anyone starts saying we can't afford the league I know that, BUT, surely the aim has to be to get back there or there is little point in playing league matches if the only aim ever becomes not to get relegated each year.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:59 am
H1987 wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:

I know a lot hate the Arena, but BM always depresses me for the simple fact I do not see how we can get it up to league standard.
Before anyone starts saying we can't afford the league I know that, BUT, surely the aim has to be to get back there or there is little point in playing league matches if the only aim ever becomes not to get relegated each year.

Welcome to the World of a Newcastle United fan

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
H1987 wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:

OK how the hell can Barcodes aim for promotion?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
H1987 wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:

I think it would be possible, but the issue is redeveloping the clubhouse side or basically having to tear apart the seated stand which already cost a lot of money in order to achieve that. Perhaps a more cooperative rugby club would be amenable to the former. I'd imagine it's on the minds of the board, but ultimately, we'd need a serious cash injection most likely from a private investor to get to the football league. If such a person exists, perhaps they'd also have the cash either for such a costly conversion of Blackwell, or be prepared to fund another stadium. I know as fans we certainly can't do the latter.

Either way, the Arena can strengthen our hand in the short term as a negotiating tool, but I really hope we do not end up there. I'd say Mowden Park are on limited time anyway, we could probably have the thing for nowt if we waited it out. Not that I want it under any circumstances, but us paying two rugby clubs at once is daft. I think the board know this, although I was a little concerned at first.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 pm

As others have said, any sign (no pun intended) that the relationship between the RC and the FC is improving can only be good news. Prosperous sporting teams in Darlington can only be a good thing in terms of financial income, community engagement and public health.

I'm sure the infrastructure committee within the club was working on plans to show how BM could be brought to NL and FL standard. I do think it's something that should be published as a 'working paper' for fans to have an understanding of what it would take both in terms of physical development and cost to turn BM into a National League then Football League standard ground. Personally my only issue with BM is the pipe. Remove that from the equation (which I believe you can for a cost) and I actually think it has great potential and a good location to be developed into a FL standard ground. Obviously all of that comes with money we don't currently have unfortunately. Keep playing the euromillions folks.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:02 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 pm
As others have said, any sign (no pun intended) that the relationship between the RC and the FC is improving can only be good news. Prosperous sporting teams in Darlington can only be a good thing in terms of financial income, community engagement and public health.

I'm sure the infrastructure committee within the club was working on plans to show how BM could be brought to NL and FL standard. I do think it's something that should be published as a 'working paper' for fans to have an understanding of what it would take both in terms of physical development and cost to turn BM into a National League then Football League standard ground. Personally my only issue with BM is the pipe. Remove that from the equation (which I believe you can for a cost) and I actually think it has great potential and a good location to be developed into a FL standard ground. Obviously all of that comes with money we don't currently have unfortunately. Keep playing the euromillions folks.
When we do eventually return to BM any thawing of relations is greatly appreciated , however DJ has always indicated funding of a new stadia should be possible and repayment costs within our means so BM is always a stop gap.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 pm
spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
H1987 wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:

OK how the hell can Barcodes aim for promotion?

They could aim to win the league or qualify for Europe. At all levels, there is something to aim for

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:48 pm

JE93 wrote:
Personally my only issue with BM is the pipe. Remove that from the equation (which I believe you can for a cost) and I actually think it has great potential and a good location to be developed into a FL standard ground.
I'm sure Scott Thornberry said that was an absolute non starter.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:58 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:48 pm
JE93 wrote:
Personally my only issue with BM is the pipe. Remove that from the equation (which I believe you can for a cost) and I actually think it has great potential and a good location to be developed into a FL standard ground.
I'm sure Scott Thornberry said that was an absolute non starter.
I think Scott said it would cost at least a £1m to move the pipe & Northumbria Water aren't keen in the slightest to move the pipe. So virtually a non starter.

cbh89f

Post by cbh89f » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:29 pm

Ever since the game at Walsall DJ has stated that the club needs additional revenue apart from gate receipts and that revenue from catering, functions and other off field means are the way to progress .
This is never going to happen at BM .
Darlington FC needs its own ground and full control to generate additional income if FL status is ever going to be achieved..