Home Kit Vote

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lawman3
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Home Kit Vote

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Magical Quakers wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 am
Enjoying the fact that your Avatar is a picture of a Darlo player not wearing a hooped shirt :lol:
It's my favourite kit - largely due to nostalgia, and the fact that I started supporting the club at that time. We also wore white shorts with that kit - a huge break from tradition.

I think that a fan's view of the kit their team should wear is often influenced by their own positive experiences of supporting a club. That Hummel shirt was just a template - Swansea had the same shirt in 1985, but with black shorts - but it was our promotion kit, and we wore it for 3 seasons, hence the attachment.

I'm not averse to non-hooped kits. I just recognise that hoops are historically a part of the Club's identity.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:17 pm

On social media there's an awful lot of crying going on about this kit. To be honest the more I see it, the more I like it and depending on how much I like the away top, I'm definitely getting one .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:24 pm

We may be lucky to have a team & league to play in if the National League & HMG don't get the finances sorted. We may not even complete this season

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:39 pm

The more that is disclosed over the funding issue,IE loans the more likely it is that we will see a premature end to the season it's difficult enough trying make ends meet without having loans thrust upon an already dry funding stream, how would the clubs repay with interest with no paying clientele of any kind.
Club's would be absolutely stupid to take out loans that they couldn't service. It turns out the league season should not have started, the club have been shafted into starting by a minimal funding of 3 months that has run it's course,now nothing there to replace it, crass stupidity from the national league for not following this up and finding a solution amenable to all 66 club's in the national league,s
Where do we go from here.,??????

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Where do we go from here.,??????
The whole situation is a mess and clubs at Step 1 &2 have been mislead / deceived by the Government in terms of funding

I have a longer term concern that will affect all clubs. If crowd capacity restrictions are not lifted before the end of this season, then I can foresee a lot of people not renewing season tickets ( at all clubs) given they have paid for one season expecting to get to games and getting nothing other than a livestream.

some fans will pay up anyway regarding it as a a donation to their club, but even if only 20% do not renew, then that will give all clubs a massive funding nightmare - especially if they are having to repay loans on top of normal operating expenses.

This is one situation where all clubs and fans irrespective of their teams need to stand together. This makes it more surprising on 12 signed that letter last week, and non from the NL or NLS

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 am
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:38 am
I've been busy selling my loft contents in eBay whilst the debate has filled five pages. I think it's quite something that the fans get to vote for the shirt design and I feel an open vote may have been abused. Citeh and Palace looked quite fetching in a sash style shirt and I'm not sure the history/identity discussion works for me. There was a period where there's only one hooped shirt in fifteen years. Next season's is a slant on 1889-90 perhaps and whilst we have almost always had hoops in the last fifteen years we've predominantly had shirts without them.
Sadly once again this threads become toxic. If people aren't happy with our board then I suggest you either contact them directly (my dealings with any of them have been friendly and helpful) and/or step up to the plate and put yourself forward. Quarters anyone?!
Have we predominantly had shirts without hoops? If you go back through our history, it is clear that Darlington wore exclusively hoops for nearly half a century up to the mid fifties. If you started supporting Darlo in that time, it is fair to say that hoops were an intrinsic part of the club's identity. The next half century then saw a variation of shirt designs - often plain white, but also several appearances of hoops (the 3 hoops in the 60s/70s spring to mind). Since the Jack Hatfield hooped shirt appeared in 1989, Darlo's shirts have had a variety of designs (some good, some bad) with hoops being a recurring theme.

Hoops are interwoven into the identity of the club. But, of course, there is a limit, design-wise, to what can be done with a hooped jersey. Most football shirt designs these days leave me cold (probably an age thing - maybe I'm not the key demographic), so this isn't the hill I want to die on.
Talk about twisting facts to suite your wishes.
Or bluntly, what a load of bollocks.
I assume you have some knowledge not available to the rest of us mere mortals to say such?

First recorded hoops was in season 1912-13. (so it was 30 years after we were started before we wore hoops).
No record for the next 7 seasons, (thus 37 years without hoops to 1 with that we know of).
20-38 Hoops. (Whoopee. now 19 years hoops compared to 37 without.)
During the war years we wore plain white as the easiest to produce, but as I have no evidence to prove that other than I was told by my uncle who set me off following Darlo in 1951). . ... Still 37-19.

You may note, we are now well over the first 50 years of our existence and your idea of what is "clear" obviously needs some revising.

You then have runs from 1954 to 66 with no sign of hoops and after 5 seasons with the thin chest hoops we again went another 17 years before we hit the Conference winning hoops, (2 seasons), before yet another gap of 4 years before 1 with hoops. Thin hoops 1 season 97-8 then another 5 years no hoops.
The only time you could say we have "virtually always been hoops" is if you take it the club only started in 2004. Up to that point to say hoops were our "heritage" was, and is, simply not true.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:59 pm

I don't give a dam which shirt is worn, as long as those wearing the shirt on the field give it 110,% ,it's the players that i go to watch playing, not the bloody shirt. All this hassle because some don't like a choice of a shirt, some people need to get a life.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:12 pm

As someone else has I think has pointed out not dissimilar to a Vasco Da Gama away shirt.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/08/ ... s.html?m=1

I didn’t vote for this one - I went for the (broken) hoops option, but I am more than happy with it and I have to say that the whole process, including the shock of option 2, has been quite an entertaining experience.

Here’s hoping that we get a full season of football to see it on the pitch.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:59 pm
I don't give a dam which shirt is worn, as long as those wearing the shirt on the field give it 110,% ,it's the players that i go to watch playing, not the bloody shirt. All this hassle because some don't like a choice of a shirt, some people need to get a life.
Very much this.
I am not at all keen on the hoops but it is what happens on the pitch I follow the club for.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:52 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:43 pm
Lawman3 wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:
I've been busy selling my loft contents in eBay whilst the debate has filled five pages. I think it's quite something that the fans get to vote for the shirt design and I feel an open vote may have been abused. Citeh and Palace looked quite fetching in a sash style shirt and I'm not sure the history/identity discussion works for me. There was a period where there's only one hooped shirt in fifteen years. Next season's is a slant on 1889-90 perhaps and whilst we have almost always had hoops in the last fifteen years we've predominantly had shirts without them.
Sadly once again this threads become toxic. If people aren't happy with our board then I suggest you either contact them directly (my dealings with any of them have been friendly and helpful) and/or step up to the plate and put yourself forward. Quarters anyone?!
Have we predominantly had shirts without hoops? If you go back through our history, it is clear that Darlington wore exclusively hoops for nearly half a century up to the mid fifties. If you started supporting Darlo in that time, it is fair to say that hoops were an intrinsic part of the club's identity. The next half century then saw a variation of shirt designs - often plain white, but also several appearances of hoops (the 3 hoops in the 60s/70s spring to mind). Since the Jack Hatfield hooped shirt appeared in 1989, Darlo's shirts have had a variety of designs (some good, some bad) with hoops being a recurring theme.

Hoops are interwoven into the identity of the club. But, of course, there is a limit, design-wise, to what can be done with a hooped jersey. Most football shirt designs these days leave me cold (probably an age thing - maybe I'm not the key demographic), so this isn't the hill I want to die on.
I assume you have some knowledge not available to the rest of us mere mortals to say such?

First recorded hoops was in season 1912-13. (so it was 30 years after we were started before we wore hoops).
No record for the next 7 seasons, (thus 37 years without hoops to 1 with that we know of).
During the war years we wore plain white as the easiest to produce, but as I have no evidence to prove that other than I was told by my uncle who set me off following Darlo in 1951). . ... Still 37-19.

You may note, we are now well over the first 50 years of our existence and your idea of what is "clear" obviously needs some revising.

You then have runs from 1954 to 66 with no sign of hoops and after 5 seasons with the thin chest hoops we again went another 17 years before we hit the Conference winning hoops, (2 seasons), before yet another gap of 4 years before 1 with hoops. Thin hoops 1 season 97-8 then another 5 years no hoops.
The only time you could say we have "virtually always been hoops" is if you take it the club only started in 2004. Up to that point to say hoops were our "heritage" was, and is, simply not true.
Christ, you’re really grasping at straws there. There is nothing I posted that is “a load of bollocks”. And, if you choose to enter a discussion, it’s probably best not to attribute false narratives to my comment. Where do I say we have “virtually always been hoops?”

The initial proposition, to which I responded, was that we had predominantly had shirts without hoops - not true, as hoops have been a recurring theme throughout our history (as demonstrated by myself, and seemingly inadvertently acknowledged insourcing own comment). If that incontrovertible fact so offends your sensibilities, so as to distort your interpretation of my comment, then that is an issue for you.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:42 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:52 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:43 pm
Lawman3 wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:

Christ, you’re really grasping at straws there. There is nothing I posted that is “a load of bollocks”. And, if you choose to enter a discussion, it’s probably best not to attribute false narratives to my comment. Where do I say we have “virtually always been hoops?”

The initial proposition, to which I responded, was that we had predominantly had shirts without hoops - not true, as hoops have been a recurring theme throughout our history (as demonstrated by myself, and seemingly inadvertently acknowledged insourcing own comment). If that incontrovertible fact so offends your sensibilities, so as to distort your interpretation of my comment, then that is an issue for you.
Will this do you?
Quote you, (but please tell me which bit I miss read).
"Have we predominantly had shirts without hoops? If you go back through our history, it is clear that Darlington wore exclusively hoops for nearly half a century up to the mid fifties."

As I said, a load of bollocks, but carry on, please explain how I am "Grasping at straws" by proving you were wrong/ I wait with baited breath. (Or did for about as long as John Gregory worried about Hodgie's complaints).

Para'2
The comment you responded to is actually totally correct. We have,(as I have proven), had far more non hooped shirts in our existence. Sorry but waffle all you wish. On this, you were clearly wrong.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm

When I said predominantly I was talking more about the number of kits rather than the length of time each incarnation was worn! I'm currently catching some of Saints v Shrews and their rather nifty sash replacing the usual stripes.