Jason Ainsley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Jason Ainsley

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Has left his role as Spennymoor manager: https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2020/12/ ... oors-boss/

Vodka_Vic

Re: Jason Ainsley

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Smacks of when Salford got rid of Johnno and Bernard. Not big enough for them any more. Hands off AA!
Intrigued what the 'Extra pressure brought by the pandemic refers to.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:34 pm

Very interesting, and poses a couple of questions.

First, who will they be sniffing about to try to replace him? Is there a really outstanding manager in the region at rhe moment who would be itching for the job?

Second, and more interesting to me, is the line about performance pressure. Why has covid increased the pressure to do well? It's not like additional financial rewards will come flooding in for being in the NL. If anything it appears to be even more expensive.

A bit of an odd one to me, wrapped up as usual in the good chap mega vibes fun spendy persona.

And before certain people arrive, let's all note the phrase "multi million pound investment" in that statement. What a great use of cash that was.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Will Spen deny it?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Seems to me that Groves feels Spendy should be further up the pyramid for the massive funding he has made and has his doubts that Ainsley can satisfy his ambitions and has taken the club as far as he can.
As mentioned there are similarities to Salford, very poor fan base, silly money being pumped into the club and unrealistic ambitions for a club that is punching way above its weight

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm

MARTIN GRAY - COME ON DOWN.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm
After his time at York, Nah.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Looks like it will be a full-time post going forward. Groves might cast his net wide.

The most bizarre part of the statement is that seemingly giving Ainsley the push "has always been in the long term plan for the club". I don't think that when he was allowed to splash the cash again in the summer, he was expecting this.

Ainsley always came across well to me and was good for a bit of banter when we played over there. He leaves with a fantastic record of success (after being fully backed with plenty of cash) and I can't imagine him sitting behind a desk as some kind of Great Annual Savings part-time Director of Sporting Excellence.

I guess there was a warning that the writing may be on the wall when Groves wrote in his update after last season: "On the pitch, I was bitterly disappointed that we only finished eighth in the league.... make no mistake, I think we all expected more".

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:11 pm

Groves has probably given Ainsley a very significant budget for this season and will be disappointed in where they are in the league.That defeat at Brackley seems to have triggered the dismissal of Jason and results lately have not been great.Seems intent on further promotions so wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he went for a full time manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 pm

Is Tommy Miller still there?

I wonder if Hignett is still North East based - his twitter suggests he might have moved back to Merseyside.

I expect them to get someone with a proven track record who will be swayed by the vibes. Would be very surprised if it was a manager from a lower level.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 pm

Can't be many managers around who've done 14 years.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:12 am

biccynana wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 pm
I think you are right Duncan Ferguson only got 3 months 😉

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:38 am

Footifanreturns wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:12 am
biccynana wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 pm
I think you are right Duncan Ferguson only got 3 months 😉
Get his name right, Duncan Disorderly. :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 am

Surely Gray ticks all the boxes here?

The route 1 style. TICK
Proven track record. Tick
Work ethic. Tick
Knowledge of this league. TICK
Lives round the corner. TICK.
Knows a lot of the squad. TICK

Can we place bets on this?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 am

Are Spennymoor that renowned for being a club who wants a route 1 style of play from their manager? I am not sure when someone says Spennymoor I instantly accustom a particular style of play to the club.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 am
Are Spennymoor that renowned for being a club who wants a route 1 style of play from their manager? I am not sure when someone says Spennymoor I instantly accustom a particular style of play to the club.
Whether they want it or not, they have been very route 1 the last couple of years on the occasions I've seen them.

Not surprised Ainsley has gone what with the amount of money being chucked in ("multi million pound investment")

Looks like a transition to full time football. Good job they've got all that sponsorship coming in.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am

Lol so the idea that it is a requirement for the new manager to prefer a direct style of play was in reference to the style of play of their outgoing manager.

Spennymoor will do what Spennymoor will do. I don't really care how they fund it beyond correcting some of their supporter base who deny it whilst simultaneously insulting how we are funded.

I am actually surprised he lasted this long. With the greatest respect to Ainsley he is a school teacher who has historically operated at the lower reaches of the National League System. It is a huge ask to then be responsible for a team of what are effectively professional footballers.

He's done a great job so far. You would think there are EvoStik and Northern League teams who would love to have him. I guess 14 years is a long time an people have different priorities and interests over that sort of timeframe.
Last edited by lo36789 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:27 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am
Lol so the idea that it is a requirement for the new manager to prefer a direct style of play was in reference to the style of play if their outgoing manager.
I never said it was a requirement

Although, as a general point, if a squad is set up to play direct football and you want someone to come in and try and get that squad promoted this season, then it may well be a requirement to pick someone who likes teams to play in a direct way. Maximise one's strengths and all that.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 am

The route 1 style. TICK
You didn't - but this was what I was remarking about.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am
Lol so the idea that it is a requirement for the new manager to prefer a direct style of play was in reference to the style of play of their outgoing manager.

Spennymoor will do what Spennymoor will do. I don't really care how they fund it beyond correcting some of their supporter base who deny it whilst simultaneously insulting how we are funded.

I am actually surprised he lasted this long. With the greatest respect to Ainsley he is a school teacher who has historically operated at the lower reaches of the National League System. It is a huge ask to then be responsible for a team of what are effectively professional footballers.

He's done a great job so far. You would think there are EvoStik and Northern League teams who would love to have him. I guess 14 years is a long time an people have different priorities and interests over that sort of timeframe.
I’d say there will be plenty of potential local suitors. Maybe he fancies a break from it all. You’re right, on all of these points. They clearly fancy a transition to professional football, and the results haven’t quite matched their heavy investment. He’s probably taken them as far as he could.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:09 am

I don't think that having assembled an expensive squad and set his sights on winning promotion Ainsley suddenly decided after a few games that he needed a break from football. Despite all the flannel in the statement it seems clear Groves decided that 15 points from 10 games was unaccetable after all the dosh he's chucked at it. He's not prepared to hang around after bankrolling the club to the tune of millions.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am

Sam Collins might fancy another crack at management

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 am

The route 1 style. TICK
You didn't - but this was what I was remarking about.

That would be me. I mean no disrespect to Gray or Spennymoor but It would be a match made in heaven.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:23 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:11 pm
Groves has probably given Ainsley a very significant budget for this season and will be disappointed in where they are in the league.That defeat at Brackley seems to have triggered the dismissal of Jason and results lately have not been great.Seems intent on further promotions so wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he went for a full time manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ainsley wasnt even at Brackley the other night, work reasons was the excuse given.
In reference to the covid issues, it could well be that Ainsleys day job will demand far more of his time over the coming months meaning that his attendance at a few games could be in question, hence the decision being made now rather than in a few weeks or months.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Never saw this comeing. Now if they are going full time then ainsley could not have committed to a full time managerial role and someone else would have been needed but surely the team are not suddenly turning pro part way through the season. A part time to full time transition normally occurs before a season start along with manager/player changes to accommodate it. The chairman aint been the type to sack managers on a whim so maybe someone else is lined up already, if not it could come back to haunt them. Also not really a good comparision between salord and spennymoor, salfords a far bigger place and the catchment areas there for bigger crowds
Last edited by shildonlad on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:46 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am
I believe Evenwood Utd will have plenty of applicants with Football league experience, a good chairman who still has cash to splash and a large squad why would you not want to get involved.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:59 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:46 pm
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am
I believe Evenwood Utd will have plenty of applicants with Football league experience, a good chairman who still has cash to splash and a large squad why would you not want to get involved.
No one really local springs to mind unless brad will cast the net outside the region. Mind unless they are going pro would
Someone travel from say the north west
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:04 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I was thinking that as well - I would not be surprised.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:09 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:04 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I was thinking that as well - I would not be surprised.
I thought he had retired from management

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:58 pm

They’ll likely get a full time manager in, go full time in the not too distant future and look to make a serious push to get out this league.

Groves will be looking at someone like Harrogate and thinking that’s the way too go. They went full time in 2017 and since then have had two promotions in 3 years and in the other year they got into the National League play offs.

And if he is committed to it and has the funds to do it why wouldn’t he?

This league is obscenely competitive and being full time gives you that bit extra across the board to get out of it. Increased fitness levels, more time on the training pitch, more time to drill your team on the intricacies of the game makes a hell of a difference.

It is possible to get out of this league part time, but it seems to be getting more difficult to do each year.