Ex Darlo players -unsporting behaviour?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Ex Darlo players -unsporting behaviour?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:01 pm

The recent thread re Maradona's World Cup handball has got me thinking about if any Darlo players in history have ever misbehaved to get an advantage?

I've racked my brains over the last 25 years and can't I really remember much wayward behaviour at all - because our players are such an honest bunch and all that. ;)

Apart from the occasional random headbutt by Conlon and possibly Richie Foran kicking someone in the head once at the Arena.

Anyone ???
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Re: Ex Darlo players -unsporting behaviour?

Post by divas » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Mentioned on here not so long back but Dougie McCarrison kicking an opponent square up the arse is a personal highlight

Martin Gray used to be a master of the dark arts on the pitch too, always kicking or digging someone when the ref wasn’t looking

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Alan White's elbow in the opening minutes of a game V Brentford at the Arena. I think he broke the fella's cheekbone. It looked deliberate from where I was sitting.

Edit. I don't think this was necessarily to get an advantage. We lost the game.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Not Darlo, but ex Boro, Joe Ironside's dad, Ian, was a keeper for Scarborough who once feigned injury at Feethams. They lost 2-1 and he got some incredible stick.

lsb

Post by lsb » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm

I vaguely remember someone scoring at the Polam end after controlling a ball over the top with their arm which was really obvious to people stood on the terrace but the referee couldn’t see it. Can’t remember who it was though. Anybody remember this?

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:46 pm

What about the goal that never was against Hull city in the FA cup that resulted in a total four replays five games in total. before going down at Ayesome Park.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Jamie Chandler comes to mind....
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:25 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Playing for Spennymoor.........
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:48 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:01 pm
The recent thread re Maradona's World Cup handball has got me thinking about if any Darlo players in history have ever misbehaved to get an advantage?

I've racked my brains over the last 25 years and can't I really remember much wayward behaviour at all - because our players are such an honest bunch and all that. ;)

Apart from the occasional random headbutt by Conlon and possibly Richie Foran kicking someone in the head once at the Arena.

Anyone ???
I think you may be misremembering foran, at least if it's the game I'm thinking of. Lincoln at home - steve Foster got sent off for a very beckham-ish little flick at somebody while he was lying on tbe floor. Foran did play, and scored twice. We won 2-0.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:48 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Anyone ???
I think you may be misremembering foran, at least if it's the game I'm thinking of. Lincoln at home - steve Foster got sent off for a very beckham-ish little flick at somebody while he was lying on tbe floor. Foran did play, and scored twice. We won 2-0.
It could have been that game, but as I remember the ball had gone and Foran tangled with someone on the side of the penalty area nearest to us, in block 17. Both players stumbled but Foran “accidentally on purpose” gave the other player a right kick in the heed. I think I turned round to Gavin Ellis to confirm what I’d seen.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:01 pm

We've certainly been on the receiving end of some shockers ourselves does anybody remember Darren Moore snapping Gary himsworths leg at Torquay.Also Gary brabin with one of the worst tackles I've ever seen at feethams on Mark kilty Vs Hull city which damaged Kiltys cruciate and effectively ended his career the Hull man wasn't even booked and I'm sure Brian little and smudger were the Tigers management team at the time.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:17 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:25 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Playing for Spennymoor.........
Indeed, but he is an ex Darlo player and his behaviour could have been described as "unsporting".
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:22 pm

My dad and I were ball sponsor at Feethams in the mid-90s the night that Gary Brabin and Sean Gregan both got sent off for an old-fashioned fist fight during a Darlo/Doncaster clash.

They then ripped one another's shirts in the ongoing scrap whilst walking off and carried the ding-dong on down the tunnel.

Two brave lads - I wouldn't have fancied taking either of those two on.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:48 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Anyone ???
It could have been that game, but as I remember the ball had gone and Foran tangled with someone on the side of the penalty area nearest to us, in block 17. Both players stumbled but Foran “accidentally on purpose” gave the other player a right kick in the heed. I think I turned round to Gavin Ellis to confirm what I’d seen.
I remember seeing Foran do that. I think it was against Bradford, and the recipient was Joe Colbeck. We lost 3-1, and Conlon and Heckingbottom were playing for Bradford.

Edit. I've checked the stats - it was in the 2007-8 season, and Foran was indeed sent off in that game. I also see that Colbeck was subbed afterwards, and replaced by Ben Starosta - remember him and his 3 year contract?
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 am

Have memories of a game at Feethams from the mid/ late seventies. We were playing Wimbledon on a foggy night attacking the Polam Lane end when a cross came in and one of our players headed back across goal for someone else to score. Can’t remember who it was but the ball looked to be well out of play when it was headed back and the Wimbledon players stopped and were appealing for a goal kick. They were furious but the goal stood presumably because the linesman had not seen it go out. Whether that is cheating or just being professional and playing to the whistle is open to debate.
Memory may be fading but that could have been Wimbledon’s first season in the Football League. It was certainly in the early stages of their league history and pretty sure Dave Bassett was their manager. Can anyone else remember this or am I getting mixed up?

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:15 am

seem to remember Ron Ferguson putting the nut on someone and jogging away as the ref and linesman missed it following play, or am I dreaming that?

Wing Commander Darlo

Post by Wing Commander Darlo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:20 am

Steve Mardenborough in front of the Tin Shed grabbing an entire fistful of a defender's shirt to stop him jumping at a corner allowing someone to score a header behind him, then turning to the crowd and winking with a big smile on his face...

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:46 am

Glenn Naylor "winning" a penalty in the play-off game at Victoria Park. It's ok though if it's against Hartlepool, right?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:59 am

ralphb wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:46 pm
What about the goal that never was against Hull city in the FA cup that resulted in a total four replays five games in total. before going down at Ayesome Park.
Would that be the lob from Bobby Baxter that dropped over the bar and was pushed back under the net. I think Doug Embleton might
know something about that. Hard to tell from where I was standing at the back of the tin shed
Lance Robson who had earlier that summer signed for us, was non committal when I asked him from his dentists chair. Can't remember if he even played in that game, but all he said was to look at the score in the paper, so it must have been a legitimate goal.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:46 am
Glenn Naylor "winning" a penalty in the play-off game at Victoria Park. It's ok though if it's against Hartlepool, right?
Yes!! I was going to mention this, but thought better of it.

Glen just sort of flopped down and I remember thinking 'the Ref's never going to give this" - but he did.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm

The Alan White incident put me right off him even
thoughh he was a good defender. Dave Speedie.was a very good player but he was a dirty one. I also have it on good authority that he was a wind up merchant can't think of anything specific but he must have pushed his luck with Gary Bennett when he lifted DS by the neck. I once saw Ray Yeoman throw a corner flag at someone but he didn't seem to gain any advantage.
The only clear instance comes from my Father who remembers the wonderful Bill Tulip punching the ball in at the Polam End from close range in a crowded goalmouth of 1952. He didn't dribble like Diego though.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:40 pm

banktopp wrote:
ralphb wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:46 pm
Would that be the lob from Bobby Baxter that dropped over the bar and was pushed back under the net. I think Doug Embleton might
know something about that. Hard to tell from where I was standing at the back of the tin shed
Lance Robson who had earlier that summer signed for us, was non committal when I asked him from his dentists chair. Can't remember if he even played in that game, but all he said was to look at the score in the paper, so it must have been a legitimate goal.
I remember the Bobby Baxter "goal" as I was right behind the netting, it went over the bar and somehow found its way into the goal.Nobody including the players could believe it when the ref pointed to the centre circle.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 pm

lsb wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm
I vaguely remember someone scoring at the Polam end after controlling a ball over the top with their arm which was really obvious to people stood on the terrace but the referee couldn’t see it. Can’t remember who it was though. Anybody remember this?
I remember Garry MacDonald scoring at the Polam End about 87, pretty sure he got a good hand on it in the penalty box before smashing it home.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:17 pm

I was in the Tinshed when the Bobby Baxter "goal" happened, no doubt hanging over the barrier as I did in those days.
Too excited to notice or remember but a ricochet off the concrete edge holding one of the pillars supporting the corrugated barrier seems to be the solution, combined with a body or two leaning into the netting, stretching it up seems the logical solution. No action replays or VAR in those old black & white days.

The afore mentioned Lance Robson leaving a player sparked out cold on the deck after an alleged "accidental" brush with his elbow or fist while running back towards the centre of the pitch to receive a goal kick. Amazingly not one of crowd, players or officials saw it occur... Not even the spread eagled recipient lol.

The story that Lance offered him one of his Dental Practice business cards when he helped the hapless groggy defender to his feet is a gross exaggeration 😉

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Lance left a big impression on Peter Shilton too - League Cup 1968 - so just maybe it was playing on his mind when he went up with Marradona for that ball.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:02 pm

David Preece Vs Burnley, how much did Payton actually touch him ? :D
Think before posting