Team v BPA

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Team v BPA

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:54 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 am
Surely it is about having the maximum number of players to choose from for what many of us regard as probably our biggest match of the season. Don’t forget we have to play Gateshead and Hereford as well in the 6 days after Bristol Rovers so at some point the squad will need shuffling a bit. Might as well be now before the FA Cup tie to maximise our chances of causing another upset. It may be unlikely but it is not impossible as Rovers are not exactly flying high and we have shown at Swindon that we are good enough to take advantage if they are below par. Bet your life that Bristol Rovers will be nervous of being another giant killing victim.
Do we then have to rest the same players against Gateshead because we have prioritised Bristol Rovers?

So now we end up with two league games without a the strongest spine of our side?

I just think rest those who need a rest but otherwise play strongest team. Assume that we have in reserve what we need when those players need a rest.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:17 am

Whatever the team is tonight, it’ll look like a first choice 11 because we don’t really have any fringe players other than Hudson.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 am

Quakers83 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:54 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:21 pm
I can't believe that people are saying field a weakened team tomorrow to concentrate on the cup.

We play our best line up for both, or what's the point?

And if we *must* prioritise one match over the other, then prioritise BPA. We are W3 L4 in the league (assuming the Boston result stands, which it will), I don't want us increasing the chances of throwing 3 points away.
What’s the point in having a squad then?

It isn’t fielding a weakened side, it’s rotation.

Looking through our player list, I don’t have any question marks over them - they’re all capable of stepping up to the plate as some of them have proven against Guiseley and Alfreton.

We should not, as a minimum, be risking McMahon, Liddle, Hatfield, Holness, or Campbell - that’s just my opinion.
Liddle, Hatfield and Holness are all injured so it's all a bit of a moot point to talk about risking them tonight.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:36 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 pm

How often do you think we will be one match away from a place in the FA Cup 3rd Round ?
You're missing my point.

It's not about how often this opportunity comes around (any other season I'd be hoping and praying we make it and draw a big club away), it's simply the fact that getting into Round 3 this season, and typical of our luck really, is fools gold.

Unless we were somehow able to draw a lower league/non league team and have a realistic chance of winning, so we get more prize money. But that's actually less chance of that happening, than drawing a big club as the rounds progress.

But the attraction of a big club away is about the cut of the gate receipts which would dwarf the prize money on offer (and which we wouldn't win anyway)

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 am

The is with one eye on next Sunday, we have to give ourselves the best chance of causing an upset.
Why? The league is far more important this year. We aren't going to win the FA Cup, and the big prize for a non league club - an away tie at somewhere like Man U, has lost it's value because there won't be 70,000 people there giving us a massive income boost because of the gate split.

In fact it'd just be our luck to cause an upset, then draw Man U away and make nothing from it - whilst also getting panned 9-0. Fuck that.

Any other year, yes please. This year, no thanks.

We make 46k from round 2 even if we lose. Take the money and run, I say.
Don't think any of the players, staff or officials would agree with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:57 am

Just a reminder lads, tonight's 50/50 draw is online. Get right into it. :roll:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:54 am
Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 am
Surely it is about having the maximum number of players to choose from for what many of us regard as probably our biggest match of the season. Don’t forget we have to play Gateshead and Hereford as well in the 6 days after Bristol Rovers so at some point the squad will need shuffling a bit. Might as well be now before the FA Cup tie to maximise our chances of causing another upset. It may be unlikely but it is not impossible as Rovers are not exactly flying high and we have shown at Swindon that we are good enough to take advantage if they are below par. Bet your life that Bristol Rovers will be nervous of being another giant killing victim.
Do we then have to rest the same players against Gateshead because we have prioritised Bristol Rovers?

So now we end up with two league games without a the strongest spine of our side?

I just think rest those who need a rest but otherwise play strongest team. Assume that we have in reserve what we need when those players need a rest.
Players prefer to play. I run a sunday team and I could easily put a different team out each half but if I drop any of the ones who would usually expect to start they are never happy!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:39 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

The is with one eye on next Sunday, we have to give ourselves the best chance of causing an upset.
Why? The league is far more important this year. We aren't going to win the FA Cup, and the big prize for a non league club - an away tie at somewhere like Man U, has lost it's value because there won't be 70,000 people there giving us a massive income boost because of the gate split.

In fact it'd just be our luck to cause an upset, then draw Man U away and make nothing from it - whilst also getting panned 9-0. Fuck that.

Right. And?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:36 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 pm

How often do you think we will be one match away from a place in the FA Cup 3rd Round ?
You're missing my point.

It's not about how often this opportunity comes around (any other season I'd be hoping and praying we make it and draw a big club away), it's simply the fact that getting into Round 3 this season, and typical of our luck really, is fools gold.

Unless we were somehow able to draw a lower league/non league team and have a realistic chance of winning, so we get more prize money. But that's actually less chance of that happening, than drawing a big club as the rounds progress.

But the attraction of a big club away is about the cut of the gate receipts which would dwarf the prize money on offer (and which we wouldn't win anyway)
Bet DJ does not share your opinion. Regardless of the pleasure we have had from our cup run the money we have made has been really good financially for the club in these uncertain times. We can’t change the way things are in the world but we can make the best of it. What a Christmas present it would be for Darlo fans if we are looking forward to a 3rd Round FA Cup tie in early January.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:39 pm
QuakerPete wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Right. And?

We’ve gotta go for it full tilt in the cup don’t we? If we get to round three we’re almost guaranteed the main TV slot and fan engagement would go up meaning potentially higher crowds when we’re allowed back in. Look at Lincoln’s run when they were in the conference, crowds doubled due to their run.

Also, if we do draw a club like arsenal, Spurs, man united, Liverpool or man city the gate income may actually apply as some season tickets at that level include an obligation to pay for the cup games regardless of whether you attend of not.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Personally, I don't see why we can't go full tilt in both games and I've no doubts that Alun will have that mindset too. How many times have we seen managers trying to be too clever/preemptive in the league game before a big cup tie and end up losing both?

I think it would be counterproductive to rest fully-fit players who would otherwise definitely have started - you'd risk signaling to the players that tonight's game isn't as important as it actually is, and we need to have the same intensity tonight as in any other league game or we'll get turned over in a match we should really be winning. Often, as well, when you drop your intensity in an attempt to protect yourself from getting injured you actually end up making it more likely that you'll get hurt, ironically.

Obviously, the ideal scenario is that we've put the game to bed by early in the second half tonight and can take off the likes of Charman a fair while before the end.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:50 pm

First let's stick a few past BPA. They have scored as many as us but conceded 17 so perhaps we should unleash our talented attackers rotating the front 5 so (if recovered) Charman gets a run-out in 2nd half. Also like to see what Hudson has to offer in MF in place of Hatfield & Holness (assuming they are not 100% fit) so have him start ahead of Wheatley. Reid could do with some rest, so again perhaps not the full 90 for him either. Defence is almost picking itself from those still standing Laing & Storey, Watson plus Hedley with the GK spot given back to Saltmer so he can re-establish his confidence before the Bristol game.
Fortunately, AA is responsible for managing the team and I would defer completely to him. I shall be watching on QTV & backing us to win in style. :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:53 pm

jjljks wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:50 pm
Also like to see what Hudson has to offer in MF in place of Hatfield & Holness
Not sure he's good enough to take both of their places!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Sounds to me that there’s not a massive squad to choose from tonight so team will almost pick itself. Liddle, Holness, Hunt out. Charman and Hatfield probs won’t want to be risked. McMahon and Wheatley would ideally be rested but might not be possible to rest both

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:37 pm

It’ll be interesting to see what those wanting players rested have to say if we miss out on the playoffs by a point if we don’t beat BPA tonight.Play the strongest team you have available every time in my opinion .

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm

AA has gone strong resting just McMahon (4-2-3-1)

Saltmer

Hedley
Laing
Atkinson
Watson

Wheatley
Reid

O’Neill
Sousa
Campbell

Maguire

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:03 pm

It’s like watching the same home game every home game. Always an early goal given to them on a plate

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm

We look like a different team to the one that plays away from home. They are pressing us and we look outnumbered in midfield.

eek

Post by eek » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm
We look like a different team to the one that plays away from home. They are pressing us and we look outnumbered in midfield.
One reason for going to the Arena will be to get away from the bad vibes we have at Blackwell.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:It’s like watching the same home game every home game. Always an early goal given to them on a plate
Reid lost his man at the free kick, really missing Hatfield so far.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:37 pm
It’ll be interesting to see what those wanting players rested have to say if we miss out on the playoffs by a point if we don’t beat BPA tonight.
Well, that would only work if we dropped no other points the whole season than any points dropped against BPA tonight. Otherwise how can you attribute the failure to make the play offs to those specific dropped points as opposed to the point dropped against x, or the points dropped against y?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Maguire injured again.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm

This is groundhog day. BPA sitting deep and giving us no space, again we are having to thread the ball through the eye of a needle to make a chance.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:30 pm

Yarblockos wrote:This is groundhog day. BPA sitting deep and giving us no space, again we are having to thread the ball through the eye of a needle to make a chance.
They seem to have an extra man in midfield, looks like 424.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Far too many long balls from the back, not playing very well atm.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:37 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:30 pm
Yarblockos wrote:This is groundhog day. BPA sitting deep and giving us no space, again we are having to thread the ball through the eye of a needle to make a chance.
They seem to have an extra man in midfield, looks like 424.

Yep, only Reid and Wheatley in midfield. They've doubled up on Sousa and he can't get into it, they've done exacly what every other team has done at BM and it's working a treat. Bit unlucky having hit the bar twice. Hate to say it, but this has got 2-0 BPA written all over it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:38 pm

0-1 FT poor display, but credit to BPA they looked a far from struggling team.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 pm

Christ these home games are frustrating

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 pm

That was awful, absolutely shite.

What the hell did Reid offer? Apart from bottling every challenge that come his way.

Fair enough they sat 10 men behind the ball after they scored, but we did fuck all to impact them after that.

Awful performance. Bristol Rovers will turn us over on Sunday on that performance.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 pm

No cutting edge tonight, good football at times but too tippy tappy. Souza needs to learn to take the ball with him, he'd be playing a few leagues above if he could.