Back to the Arena

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

curried Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Back to the Arena

Post by curried Quaker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:19 pm

Change in lockdown means we could have 2,000 fans at the Arena

FozzQuaker

Re: Back to the Arena

Post by FozzQuaker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Isnt it something like:-
4,000 in Tier 1 Areas
2,000 in Tier 2 Areas
Behind Closed Doors in Tier 3 Areas

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm

FozzQuaker wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:54 pm
Isnt it something like:-
4,000 in Tier 1 Areas
2,000 in Tier 2 Areas
Behind Closed Doors in Tier 3 Areas

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
It it exactly this,

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 pm

How many could we have at BM?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Depends what the council risk assessment says.... below 1000 I’d imagine if social distancing still applies....

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Doesn't really matter as we will be in tier 3 because we'll get roped in with the rest of the Tees Valley/ Teesside

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 pm

I agree Sc, unfortunately. Find out later this evening I’d hope?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Don't think so. Darlos numbers are dropping so should be below 300 next week. Maybe Tier 2 I reckon.
You should live where I live - East Lindsey in Lincolnshire. We're no 3 at the moment with only Hull and Margate in front of us and we have a rate of nearly 600. Tier 3 for sure for us. We all find out on Thursday.

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 pm

The thing I’m picking up is “regional”, it’s very vague. Is it boroughs, towns, counties? Can see it being worse than it currently is if the whole county is “regional”.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Darlospike wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:11 pm
Depends what the council risk assessment says.... below 1000 I’d imagine if social distancing still applies....
Social distancing will apply so BM is going to be around 500 capacity.

So if we are in tier 2 and can host 2,000 fans then the Arena will be the only option.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:13 pm
Darlospike wrote:

So if we are in tier 2 and can host 2,000 fans then the Arena will be the only option.
The Fat One won’t be happy about this :(

Fat josh

Post by Fat josh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:37 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlospike wrote:

Why?
I think you seriously overestimate how big crowds will be at the Arena...
It was bad with 1500in
I can't wait to be playing in a 25000 seater rust bucket
with about 6/700 fans in.

Hell I don't think the Arenas made a big enough joke of us yet
Let's put another tier on get the capacity up to 45 k

No wonder we are such a laughing stock around the country.

The last 8 years fucking wasted
Absolute clowns in charge
King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

bga

Post by bga » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Fat josh wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:53 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:37 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlospike wrote:

Why?
It was bad with 1500in

Fat Josh obviously still smarting from his recent failed audition for "Pointless."

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:38 pm

I think it's probably a 'wait and see' situation in terms of what guidance they provide and if capacity will be arbitrary numbers (as with the divisions below us) rather than individually assessed. I think anything above 1,500 would be very difficult to distance effectively... Maybe even 1,000 at Blackwell. It'd be possible if more difficult to manage, but the main issue would be the tinshed as you'd have to have people monitoring numbers of people going in and out and relying on goodwill to stop people clustering up.

I despise the place but so long as the Arena is temporary and the only viable option, then it's going to happen - assuming the numbers add up. Presumably, there will be a number where it just makes sense to stay at Blackwell though, so it really will depend on what the legislation says. If they say 1,500 in Blackwell or 2,000 in the Arena, you'd imagine the sums would favour staying put.

As long as we don't stay there, it's fine. We may only end up being there half a season anyway. We have to be hopeful that next season could be a return to normal with all this talk of vaccines available imminently.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Fat josh wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Why?
It was bad with 1500in

You're right it was bad with 1500 in.

But it's not about how bad it was, it's about how safely we can get our normal crowds into a football ground under current guidance.

We'd only be allowed around 500 in BM, and no matter how much you piss and moan about it, that's not enough.

While we're on about being a laughing stock, what do you think fans of other clubs think of us at BM, like? With it's hard standing uncovered away end? With it's overly expensive, stupid looking, fuck up of a main stand, that doesn't even fit the seats properly, bodge job which was probably designed by a toddler? With the staff all wearing rugby shirts on a football day? With there being NO mention that the football club plays there on the signage, and no realistic chance of that changing?

Hardly anyone likes going there, it doesn't feel welcoming, the players and management would rather play at a proper football ground instead of a partly converted rugby ground, and the "clowns in charge" are doing what is best for the club, not Fat Josh.

The Arena is far from ideal, far from it. But I'd take playing at the Arena over BM every day of the week, and twice on a Sunday.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 pm

We'll be lumped in with the North East & the Tees Valley into tier 3, can't see it changing till perhaps after Christmas.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:38 pm
I despise the place but so long as the Arena is temporary and the only viable option, then it's going to happen - assuming the numbers add up. Presumably, there will be a number where it just makes sense to stay at Blackwell though, so it really will depend on what the legislation says. If they say 1,500 in Blackwell or 2,000 in the Arena, you'd imagine the sums would favour staying put.
I know your just chucking numbers out but 1500? I can't see that being very safe to put it mildly because B.M. would be busy with that amount. And the other problem would be much less than that and would it pay? Because season ticket holders have already bought tickets.

Or to put it another way 1500 = normality and if we go back to crowds shortly it will not be under normal conditions. So I reckon it's The Arena or nothing.

I'm not saying I want this, I'm just saying The Arena or nothing is how I see it.

As for The Ghost's reply to Fatjosh - I agree with it all except Ghost forgets to mention the permabroken Rugby Club clock which does my head in. Furthermore I don't think Darlo are a "laughing stock around the country" - I think Darlo are well respected as being a well run fan owned club.

I reckon Fatjosh would be more suited in following a Premier League team, or maybe he does?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm

The announcement says 50% capacity up to 2,000 for a Tier 2, which would actually be about 1,650 given the certified capacity of BM.

I can't see that being allowed by the local authority though. I am sure DJ said that they had signed off on 790 or something which would allow all necessary social distancing to take place.

If we were allowed 50% capacity tbf we might as well stay at BM there is no point paying for two grounds for the sake of less than 100 people.

As I say can't see it. We won't get more than 1000 unless we are at the Arena.

curried Quaker

Post by curried Quaker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Under normal circumstances, how may do you think we would get for the Boxing Day match against Spennymoor. We got 2,200 last year. We wouldn’t be allowed half of that number at BM. We all know the issues with the Arena, but I’d rather watch the match live than stream it on Boxing Day with a house full of people complaining that I’m hogging the TV and stopping the kids watching some Disney film.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:49 am

curried Quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:45 pm
Under normal circumstances, how may do you think we would get for the Boxing Day match against Spennymoor. We got 2,200 last year. We wouldn’t be allowed half of that number at BM. We all know the issues with the Arena, but I’d rather watch the match live than stream it on Boxing Day with a house full of people complaining that I’m hogging the TV and stopping the kids watching some Disney film.
I don't think we would move for the sake of one game though. It's a lot of money to spend paying for two grounds for the sake of the boxing day match against Spennymoor.

As I say. I fully expect the council to still put a ceiling on us as it was and won't simply follow an arbitrary 50% figure. I seriously don't know how you can do that as most seats in a stadium are about 60cm in width.

1m+ is 3 person per block of 10 seats or four in block of 12 in patterns similar to below.

XOOOX XOOX
OOXOO OOOO
XOOOX XOOX

I am not sure how it works if we flip flop in/out of tier 3 either. Our exception was on safety grounds so we should be allowed to go to the arena with fans but otherwise at BM. The question is more what our financial commitment to MPRFC is once we play there.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:37 am

oxo...? i'm a Bisto boy always have been

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 am

Hopefully the North East has hit the peak and should now drop - unfortunately the drop may be slow so it could take a while to drop a Tier.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am

I believe 1650 capacity at BM is more than enough , this allows season ticket holders to return some older fans will stay home and watch quaker tv, others will not travel as they are in tier3 and can't come to BM. Some fans will be happy, some won't there is even a chance (slim I know) that if we do make third round some Darlo fans could be allowed in home or away
We are still faced with spending money at the Arena, cleaning seats, preparing hand sanitiser etc and we could be locked down again in minutes and DJ is well aware but the thought of fans watching a few games is worth it

Darlogramps

Back to the Arena

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:42 am

eddie-rowles wrote:I believe 1650 capacity at BM is more than enough , this allows season ticket holders to return some older fans will stay home and watch quaker tv, others will not travel as they are in tier3 and can't come to BM.
But it won’t necessarily be 1650 at Blackwell. The 2000 or 50% of capacity is merely the Government’s guidance.

Local authorities will sign off individual grounds, based on how many they can safely hold while adhering to social distancing etc.

1650 cannot socially distance safely at Blackwell, so the actual figure will end up being much lower. I’m sure DJ previously said it be as low as 550, which is no good at all.

At the Arena, you can get about 3,000 under our plans pre-lockdown 2.0.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
I believe 1650 capacity at BM is more than enough , this allows season ticket holders to return some older fans will stay home and watch quaker tv, others will not travel as they are in tier3 and can't come to BM. Some fans will be happy, some won't there is even a chance (slim I know) that if we do make third round some Darlo fans could be allowed in home or away
We are still faced with spending money at the Arena, cleaning seats, preparing hand sanitiser etc and we could be locked down again in minutes and DJ is well aware but the thought of fans watching a few games is worth it
We are not clear are we that Quaker TV can live stream games once fans are allowed back in? Will having fans back also affect our National Lottery funding?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:03 am

This is the thing, we just don't know what the legislation is yet, and in the levels below, it was arbitrary rather than council dictated. That might change and we should be preparing for every eventuality. If it's 50 percent then it doesn't make sense to move... and we can argue that it's a push to do that, but our regular crowds are often below 1,500 (yes, that is our average gate but that's often boosted by some bumpers crowds at Christmas or vs local teams like York & Spen). This would also depend on the practicalities of distancing.

There's a balance to be found, but to me, if it's going to be capped at 2,000, and if we get 1,000 into Blackwell safely, does it add up? (Honestly, I'm sceptical of a crowd bump until things return to normal). From a selfish perspective, I won't be coming up from London anyway, so I hope we are also still allowed to stream.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:42 am
eddie-rowles wrote:I believe 1650 capacity at BM is more than enough , this allows season ticket holders to return some older fans will stay home and watch quaker tv, others will not travel as they are in tier3 and can't come to BM.
But it won’t necessarily be 1650 at Blackwell. The 2000 or 50% of capacity is merely the Government’s guidance.

Local authorities will sign off individual grounds, based on how many they can safely hold while adhering to social distancing etc.

1650 cannot socially distance safely at Blackwell, so the actual figure will end up being much lower. I’m sure DJ previously said it be as low as 550, which is no good at all.

At the Arena, you can get about 3,000 under our plans pre-lockdown 2.0.
I agree with the above.

I too think that D.J came out with a low figure like 550 re B.M. So to me it would be fans at The Arena (safely) or no fans at B.M. and I'm not sure than any other option is open. But in any case surely the overriding concern here is fans seeing the team as safely as possible, so how can Blackwell meadows compete with the dreaded Arena.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:01 pm

For as long as there is a need for gatherings to socially distance, I very much doubt that BM could operate at a capacity that would be economically viable - hence DJ's comments.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:23 pm

I have every confidence in DJ to do the right thing about Arena v BM. Have just checked the fixtures and noted that Dec2 (end of lockdown) now coincides with our home match v Gateshead. Given that we will have dispatched Bristol Rovers by then, surely there would be a surge of interest as well as a few Heid fans wanting to see that game - probably much more than our usual home gate?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Sports Ground Safety Authority have said that the number of fans attending matches cannot exceed the socially distanced capacity of the ground.

BM is about 700, the Arena is 3,500.

Arena it is.