Guiseley v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TKOA
Team Supported: Darlington

Guiseley v Darlington

Post by TKOA » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it will be shown live on YouTube free of charge :thumbup:

https://guiseleyafc.co.uk/home-clash-wi ... -for-free/

LoidLucan

Re: Guiseley v Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 pm

So Guiseley will either be refreshed or ring rusty as it will be 3 weeks since their last game.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Let’s hope it’s the latter!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Knowing our luck it will be the former!!!!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:50 am

Will be another tough game tomorrow night. As mentioned above they've had about 3 weeks off while we're playing our 4th game in 2 weeks.

We need a quick start, can't go giving away cheap goals and letting them sit in and being tough to break down. Control the ball and make them chase, test their match fitness after that time off. We all know from what happened in Tuesday and Saturday we can't be a soft touch, we need to be willing to scrap and fight. A few players looked like they needed a rest on Saturday so I'd expect some more rotation, but hopefully that will mean the likes of Wheatley and Mcmahon coming back in.

My team would be: (Below presumes Charmans isn't fit enough to play).

-------------------------- Saltmer ---------------------
Mcmahon --- Laing --- Storey --- Watson
-------------- Wheatley --- Hatfield --------------
Sousa ------------- Holness ------- Campbell
----------------------------- Levi -------------------------

Subs: Minter, Atkinson, Hedley, Rivers, Maguire

Its pretty harsh on Hedley who did nothing wrong on Saturday, but we could do with a voice in defence and Mcmahon will give us that. Not particularly happy about keeping Laing in there after his performance on Saturday but in all honesty we don't really have another option, teams would target Atkinson or Watson if we put them in there. Think Liddle is looking a little jaded so would start Watson, he also tends to be a little less attacking so might just sit in a little more and give us some of the defensive cover we need. Wheatley has to come back in, he gives the midfield so much energy and covers the areas to let Hatfield and Holness go play. Reid looked dead on his feet at the end of the game V Telford so let Holness come in from the start. If Charman isn't fit then I'd give Levi a start. At 6'5 he'll occupy CB's physically more than Maguire and that will hopefully give Campbell and Sousa more room and time to play.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 am

Atkinson at CB if Wheatley is fit surely

bga

Post by bga » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Sorry if it is a dumb question (it's an age thing you know!) but do I need to subscribe to Guiseley's You Tube account to watch? I am happy to make a donation.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Whoever plays, we need to keep Kaine Felix quiet - I seem to remember him absolutely rinsing us at BM last season.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:21 pm
Sorry if it is a dumb question (it's an age thing you know!) but do I need to subscribe to Guiseley's You Tube account to watch? I am happy to make a donation.
No need to subscribe, just need to click the link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hzIxM ... e=youtu.be stream will be live from 7:30 tomorrow night.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 pm
Whoever plays, we need to keep Kaine Felix quiet - I seem to remember him absolutely rinsing us at BM last season.
And if I remember correctly in the early stages of the away game before we came out on top. Could be wrong but I think we had to reshuffle the defence in the game and Reid slotted into central defence and did really well.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:13 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 pm
bga wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:21 pm
No need to subscribe, just need to click the link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hzIxM ... e=youtu.be stream will be live from 7:30 tomorrow night.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 pm

I will go with this team Tuesday evening,
Saltmer ---------------------

Strong midd field Campbell, Sousa, amanchi up front. Would like to see Hudson on the bench
Though. Alun has difficult decisions to make, it's on his shoulders as to what's best team he knows better than me,and I trust the guy 110%.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:10 pm

divas wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 am
If that is the choice then the question must be asked, what is Laing's purpose? He is a specific centre back and if he is not going to play there when we have an injury to one of our regular partnership, then when is he?

I would go with Laing.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:12 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 pm
I will go with this team Tuesday evening,
Saltmer ---------------------

Strong midd field Campbell, Sousa, amanchi up front. Would like to see Hudson on the bench
Though. Alun has difficult decisions to make, it's on his shoulders as to what's best team he knows better than me,and I trust the guy 110%.
That would be a big, big decision to start with Levi up front.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:28 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
divas wrote:
If that is the choice then the question must be asked, what is Laing's purpose? He is a specific centre back and if he is not going to play there when we have an injury to one of our regular partnership, then when is he?

I would go with Laing.
If AA goes with Laing, I would think this is his last chance, anymore soft goals through weak defending will be the final straw.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:35 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:28 pm
darlo2001uk wrote:
divas wrote:

I would go with Laing.
If AA goes with Laing, I would think this is his last chance, anymore soft goals through weak defending will be the final straw.

You just watch knowing a mistake is just round the corner

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Bet Saltmer is happy Laing got a game on Saturday. The scapegoat baton quickly passed on.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Really surprised at anyone putting in the Laing/Storey partnership after Saturday. Alun was fairly scathing (for his standards) in his post-match reaction.

Saltmer

McMahon
Atkinson
Storey
Liddle

Hatfield
Wheatley
Holness

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

Minter, Watson, Reid, Rivers, Hudson

Harsh on Hedley, but we need some experience in there.

Campbell drops deep brilliantly for the ball but nobody on Saturday fancied occupying the two centre halves. Maguire might just do that.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:04 pm

I understand the argument about McMahon and his experience, but I haven’t been impressed with the games he’s played so far. It has been a bit stop start for him and before this season he hasn’t had much football and I’m sure he’ll come good, remember Hunt looked rusty in his first couple of games, but Hedley has been up there with the best performers in his starts at right back so far. So the question is do we want experience, or on current game time a better performer. You could argue McMahon needs more game, but do we have that luxury at the moment.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:15 pm
Really surprised at anyone putting in the Laing/Storey partnership after Saturday. Alun was fairly scathing (for his standards) in his post-match reaction.

Saltmer

McMahon
Atkinson
Storey
Liddle

Hatfield
Wheatley
Holness

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

Campbell drops deep brilliantly for the ball but nobody on Saturday fancied occupying the two centre halves. Maguire might just do that.
Mainly due to lack of options than anything else. Putting Atkinson in doesn't make it look anymore likely we'll win the first header of balls coming forward, same with Watson. Dont think either are massively comfortable in the centre from watching evidence of this seasons friendlies. Other option is put Reid in there and go for the Liam Hatch approach of sending him off to try and win the first header and go from there. None of them particularly inspiring. Have gone for Laing in the hope that a voice like Mcmahon next to him could help him.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Really surprised at anyone putting in the Laing/Storey partnership after Saturday. Alun was fairly scathing (for his standards) in his post-match reaction.

Saltmer

McMahon
Atkinson
Storey
Liddle

Hatfield
Wheatley
Holness

Campbell
Maguire
Sousa

It’s certainly worth pairing Atkinson with Storey at the back and I feel AA will go with this, particularly as he really rates him.If Charman is fit he will start,but failing this would like to see Maguire start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Play Reid at the back. Had a blinder down there last season when ironically Laing went off injured.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Laing was tortured by their striker at their place before going off injured. Reid stepped in and had him in his pocket, and he never had a look in after that.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm

quakerste wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:43 pm
Laing was tortured by their striker at their place before going off injured. Reid stepped in and had him in his pocket, and he never had a look in after that.
Only limited evidence of Reid playing in the centre of defence but I really think it could be his best position.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:20 am

I'd take a 0-0 draw right now!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 am

Really think this is an important game tonight even though the season has just started and another defeat will be a major concern.We just cannot field a settled side for various reasons and this is impacting on our league results.Badly missing Hunt and Charman and no idea who our CB's will be tonight.Will take a draw all day long but 3 points would be a godsend.

Quakerrunner

Post by Quakerrunner » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:53 am

Guiseley sit just above us in the table having played one less game (Boston game pending), and will be a tough game, albeit winnable. My starting 11 is:

Saltmer

Hedley (not done much wrong at right back and has looked better than McMahon)
Reid (height needed and last year he kept Felix quiet when moved back into defence) - wont be surprised if Al starts with Atkinson
Storey
Liddle

Wheatley
Hatfield
Holness (we need attacking intent and his burst of energy - thought he should have been brought on earlier on Saturday as we looked tired in the second half)

Campbell
Rivers (Maguire doesn't look fit so have to start Jaz)
Sousa

Subs: Minter, Hudson, McMahon, Atkinson, Maguire

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 am

I'm surprised this game is free to watch on youtube. I'm sure Darlo fans would have been happy to give Guiseley a fiver to watch the game.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Quakerrunner wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:53 am
Guiseley sit just above us in the table having played one less game (Boston game pending), and will be a tough game, albeit winnable. My starting 11 is:

Saltmer

Hedley (not done much wrong at right back and has looked better than McMahon)
Reid (height needed and last year he kept Felix quiet when moved back into defence) - wont be surprised if Al starts with Atkinson
Storey
Liddle

Wheatley
Hatfield
Holness (we need attacking intent and his burst of energy - thought he should have been brought on earlier on Saturday as we looked tired in the second half)

Campbell
Rivers (Maguire doesn't look fit so have to start Jaz)
Sousa

Subs: Minter, Hudson, McMahon, Atkinson, Maguire
Atkinson in for a busy night then.Middle of the back four and keeping the bench warm :roll:

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 am
I'm surprised this game is free to watch on youtube. I'm sure Darlo fans would have been happy to give Guiseley a fiver to watch the game.
The link I followed makes it clear that Guiseley are inviting donations to help towards the match costs.