Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:06 pm

quakersam wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:57 pm
Nothing like writing players off so soon into a season is there...he’s 21 year old and still has things to learn, don’t remember him being weak on crosses at Swindon. Give them 10/15 games before writing them off eh
Don’t remember Swindon putting in any crosses !

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm

That’s convenient
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:17 pm

quakersam wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm
That’s convenient
But true!

IMHO there are faults that there’s are no way back from. He unfortunately for a keeper has one of these faults.
He’ll be given time, of course he will but unfortunately the writing is on the wall for me.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:24 pm

I don't think saltmer did an awful lot wrong last night ,he was not at fault for either goal ,
He's a young keeper learning his trade, give him a bloody chance and back him ,
Instead of deriding him do the opposite build his confidence he will turn into a very good signing.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:44 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:24 pm
I don't think saltmer did an awful lot wrong last night ,he was not at fault for either goal ,
He's a young keeper learning his trade, give him a bloody chance and back him ,
Instead of deriding him do the opposite build his confidence he will turn into a very good signing.
You were obviously watching a different game to me (although granted he was not at fault for either goal).
But you conveniently forget almost every corner they had and they had a lot. Especially in the first half when one went through his hands and nearly dropped in at the far post. Plus the high floated free kick they had into the box in the second half that he dropped (unchallenged). I’m sorry he ain’t going to grow or command his area, tough to hear but I’m sorry it’s a fact!

I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to play for England just like Pickford who also has these exact same faults.....

Edit I’m being kind cos I’ve not even mentioned his kicking! (But tbf that could improve).

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:24 pm

We don't half give keepers a hard time. This isn't the Premier League and last night he wasn't at fault for the goals and he made some decent saves. I felt he kept us in the game at Swindon with a couple of superb saves and I hope he's not reading some of these comments. Perhaps if there had been a better all round performance instead of them bypassing midfield and us giving so many corners he would have had less pressure. Keep up the good work Johnny!!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:35 pm

Just watched the highlights now. McMahon and Hunt are wiped out on the ground. It's over 10 seconds between the incident and the goal and around 20 seconds until the game was ultimately stopped.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:47 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:24 pm
We don't half give keepers a hard time.
True, probably because we have been spoilt by a history of great keepers, too many to mention (fill in with your own favourites). All of them learned their trade with us and Johnny Saltmer is following in their bootprints. Hope he keeps the faith and improves with coaching & experience. TBF he seems a pretty good shot-stopper already

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Yes Saltmer is a little suspect on crosses and the odd kick could def be better, but he is young and learning and has made some excellent saves, and we now have experience defenders he will learn from. If we look back Peter Jameson lost confidence because of a few mistakes and fans got on his back, (I also expect that Martin Gray may not have been easy on him when he made mistakes), and you could see he became less and less confident making some poor decisions. AA took him, built his confidence and he is arguably the best keeper in the league. We need to give the boy time and AA chance to work with him, think he will turn into a good keeper.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:35 pm
Just watched the highlights now. McMahon and Hunt are wiped out on the ground. It's over 10 seconds between the incident and the goal and around 20 seconds until the game was ultimately stopped.
I mean it was 6 seconds between Hunt standing on the guys back and the ball hitting the back of the net.

It does all look rather innocuous particularly with Hunt as he isn't actually part of a challenge. He falls backwards over the guy on the floor.

It isn't helped in that the players don't go down from the initial challenge they sort of go down after the ball has moved on, it's not like a head to head collision.

I'm not sure who it is that Hunt falls into but he is holding his leg and Hunt is just hitting the floor with his right arm there is no obvious indication there was a serious injury at that point at all.

There was barely any pace or force in their collision to think that would be the case.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:25 pm

50 years wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Yes Saltmer is a little suspect on crosses and the odd kick could def be better, but he is young and learning and has made some excellent saves, and we now have experience defenders he will learn from. If we look back Peter Jameson lost confidence because of a few mistakes and fans got on his back, (I also expect that Martin Gray may not have been easy on him when he made mistakes), and you could see he became less and less confident making some poor decisions. AA took him, built his confidence and he is arguably the best keeper in the league. We need to give the boy time and AA chance to work with him, think he will turn into a good keeper.
I know he kicked one ball last night straight out for a throw in but going back to Saturday look at his contribution to our first goal that was a massive goal kick that landed well in their half. I agree give he time to develop.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:35 pm

It was more than 6 seconds as I timed it and they were both absolutely motionless. What more do you want?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:56 pm

No they weren't. It is 6.8 seconds less from hitting the floor.

Hunt is hitting the floor with his right arm and the player is moving holding his leg. The movement is absolutely clear. As the ball hits the net in fact Hunt is lifting his legs up.

You would seriously not like the game if it were halted everytime a player went down in a heap. Especially in the absence of any sort of forceful challenge.

I don't believe anyone can honestly say watching the way the Darlington players came together that they would have ever anticipated the severity of what transpired.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am
Some good and bad stories from last night re: Boston. I live in Lincolnshire so know what was going on on the radio, even though I was watching the live stream and at work today some of my mates who listenend on the radio were talking about it. By all accounts their players were exemplary. However, their secretary was simply bothered about getting off home and moaning about that, and Craig Elliot clashed with a number of our management. You could see from the live stream that he was trying to apologise to AA after about 20 minutes but AA wanted none of it. He then tried to do the same to Melvin Minter and he was the same. I don't know what was said, but on Quaker TV the guys were saying that our management were telling some of the Boston bench to wind their necks in for their behaviour during the incident.
By all accounts their goalkeeper was being a shithouse on social media as as their bench being out of order. He has at least deleted his tweets

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 pm

God bless cyberpermanence for the fact that they're all over the web.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Firstly, I am delighted that Hunt has been given the all clear from the scans which he has had. I believe concussion rules are 7 days from the incident, but no doubt he will require additional time away to recover both physically and mentally from what must have been a distressing situation for both him and his family.

Secondly, I hope (and expect) Boston to be awarded the 2-0 win and the subsequent three points. They were the better side on the night and the petty squabbling over whether it was 6 seconds or 7 seconds means little. The referee didn't blow his whistle for a stoppage, Boston went 2-0 up with 4 minutes plus added time to play and we were facing playing with 10 men because of Hunt's injury. We weren't going to get a point from the match at this stage, let alone win, so we should take the loss and move on. That isn't defeatist, it's realistic.

Thirdly, some of the comments about Saltmer are valid. I'll try and articulate this is a constructive manner before I am accused of "getting on his back". He is a better goalkeeper than Elliott, he makes some good saves and his distribution is (on the whole) also good at this level. Some of the pitches don't help him when attempting to play the ball out, least of all Blackwell. However, there have been concerns about his aerial ability which - on another day - could have led to a goal for the opposition (i.e. getting caught under the ball). This happened against Cambridge and it happened a few times last night.

I think Minter will start on Saturday.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:06 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:35 pm
I mean it was 6 seconds between Hunt standing on the guys back and the ball hitting the back of the net.

It does all look rather innocuous particularly with Hunt as he isn't actually part of a challenge. He falls backwards over the guy on the floor.

It isn't helped in that the players don't go down from the initial challenge they sort of go down after the ball has moved on, it's not like a head to head collision.

I'm not sure who it is that Hunt falls into but he is holding his leg and Hunt is just hitting the floor with his right arm there is no obvious indication there was a serious injury at that point at all.

There was barely any pace or force in their collision to think that would be the case.
I agree.

It wasn't absolutely obvious it was a severe head injury, it wasn't a foul, it happened in an advanced position and within seconds the ball was in our net.

I usually slate referees more than anyone, but even I don't blame him for playing on in that situation.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:28 pm

I can't believe what I am reading on here.
We have a young inexperienced goalkeeper who in my opinion is showing great potential..
He is clearly a very good shot stopper as he proved in the first round of the cup saving two penalties, and again last Saturday against Swindon...
You have to remember he is only 21 and will mature into the position with age and experience as all good goalkeepers do.
It seems that some of our supporters forget where we are and what league we are in. Over recent years I recall similar comments said about Peter Jameson, Last year he was in the National North team of the year..
I also remember about 10 years ago that similar comments were said about a similarly aged keeper at Manchester United. before last season he was United's player of the year for the previous 4 years..
These were also comments by experts who know nowt.
Give the lad a chance and give your heads a shake.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am

I'm not commenting either way on whether Saltmer is good enough or not but....

Can we stop with the "he's a good shot stopper"?

They're all "good shot stoppers". You don't get anywhere as a keeper if you're not. This is the number one defence used for all rubbish goalkeepers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

turulob95

Post by turulob95 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:05 pm

TNS had a match abandoned at 2-2 after 87 minutes because of floodlight failure a few weeks ago, amd had to replay the whole thing, so it's not impossible that it could be rerun.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:00 pm

turulob95 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:05 pm
TNS had a match abandoned at 2-2 after 87 minutes because of floodlight failure a few weeks ago, amd had to replay the whole thing, so it's not impossible that it could be rerun.
This is a strange one though aren't they under the jurisdiction of a different league/football association.?

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:15 pm

I don't think you're going to get a response, Mister e.

Man, these bots are good.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 am

Having listened to our Physio Danny’s interview it brings home how serious the situation with Nicky Hunt was. A massive thank you to Danny and the Boston physios for the work they did it what was a real emergency. Perhaps the next fund raiser that we need to think about is to see what extra equipment could be provided to help in the future as he mentions the need for head blocks etc.
The other issue is the length of time it took for the ambulance to arrive to an unconscious patient with breathing problems. I know we live in difficult times but that is unacceptable.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:49 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 am
The other issue is the length of time it took for the ambulance to arrive to an unconscious patient with breathing problems. I know we live in difficult times but that is unacceptable.
Whilst we can agree that this was a long time to wait, but you've got to remember the current climate we are living in and how strained the NHS currently is.

eek

Post by eek » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:53 am

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:49 am
Old Git wrote:
Whilst we can agree that this was a long time to wait, but you've got to remember the current climate we are living in and how strained the NHS currently is.
Someone we know was taken to Darlington Memorial by ambulance last week and had to join 5 other ambulances waiting to be admitted - they were eventually admitted 3 hours later and that was with a heart attack.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:33 am

AndyPark wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Yep my friend was admitted to hospital with covid after struggling to breathe (was in for 10 days eventually on oxygen).

He was effectively told after waiting 2 hours that they were simply prioritising those who weren't breathing - and there were a lot of them.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:08 pm

It definitely sounds like AA wants the match replayed in his latest interview, like he said 4 minutes to play and 4 minutes of injury time, a lot can happen in 8 minutes.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:12 pm

If we want the match replayed then it probably will be tbh. That is often the default.

Does feel a bit strange to inadvertently benefit from such a critical situation - as I am not sure anyone really thinks we were getting back into the game.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:08 pm
It definitely sounds like AA wants the match replayed in his latest interview, like he said 4 minutes to play and 4 minutes of injury time, a lot can happen in 8 minutes.
Good on Alun. If the ruling is that it's a win for Boston then I won't be losing any sleep on that, but the fact remains the game was not over.

When David Hodgson was manager, occasionally when we'd been beaten by an impressive fair playing opposition he would shake hands and congratulate their players as they left the field at the end of the game. He didn't make a habit of it but at the time it impressed me. I don't think he would have been looking for any Boston players or management team on Tuesday night.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:46 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Old Git wrote:
No criticism of our NHS workers was intended but this was a serious incident and it could have resulted in a tragedy. It was presumably treated as a priority situation because he was unconscious so it is worrying that it took so long for the ambulance to attend. Maybe we as a club need to look at our medical provision to see if it can be improved. Sure DJ will have this as a priority moving forward.