Government Bailout for National League

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

Government Bailout for National League

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Cut and pasted from The Telegrapg online an hour ago......

Exclusive: Government provides bailout to National League clubs to keep them afloat and prevent them withdrawing from FA Cup
Ministers have pledged to provide a rescue package to teams in the National League that could stop several of them going to the wall
By
Ben Rumsby
29 September 2020 • 5:08pm

The Government will provide a coronavirus bailout to the National League, in a move that will allow it to begin on Saturday and stop North and South division clubs withdrawing from the FA Cup....

Darlopartisan

Re: Government Bailout for National League

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Excellent news

bga

Post by bga » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 pm

So "Exclusive" that not even National League site has anything on about it all, or the BBC. Hope it's true

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Fantastic news if true, and will be a massive boost to DJ and the rest of the board going forward.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Will await to see the full details of the package before getting too excited, however at least it seems in the form of a grant (rather than a loan).

£20m has been mentioned in the article to be given to the National League. Let’s hope it is spread fairly across the board.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:27 pm

It's a bit of a funny one this, public money being used to bail out football clubs that in many cases are badly run and unsustainable as businesses.

It seems a bit like kicking the can down the road in some cases - should the bailout be conditional on the club's being supported agreeing to meet some longer term financial criteria regarding income/outgoings?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Behind a paywall the article. Can anyone briefly summarise.?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Spyman wrote:It's a bit of a funny one this, public money being used to bail out football clubs that in many cases are badly run and unsustainable as businesses.

It seems a bit like kicking the can down the road in some cases - should the bailout be conditional on the club's being supported agreeing to meet some longer term financial criteria regarding income/outgoings?

Would of thought any grants will be linked to average attendances which would make more sense to me.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:40 pm

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get any significant amount. The majority of any financial help will be taken by the National League itself. The North & South will not be impressed with what's left for clubs at our level. Still think we'll need to ask the fans to help out.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:22 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Spyman wrote:It's a bit of a funny one this, public money being used to bail out football clubs that in many cases are badly run and unsustainable as businesses.

Would of thought any grants will be linked to average attendances which would make more sense to me.

Yes good point, although could get messy with season tickets and the idea of people being refunded and 'donating' their refund.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm

So how much do we need as a club to cover the costs of playing behind closed doors? Ball park figure anyone?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:44 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 pm

I doubt that will be distribution method.

I expect it will be a flat rate per club depending on level club operate at ie NL clubs will get more than NLN/S clubs

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:05 pm

spen666 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I expect it will be a flat rate per club depending on level club operate at ie NL clubs will get more than NLN/S clubs
If it's a flat rate per club there will be clubs who gain by this and clubs that lose by it.My point is that it would be more sensible to make any grants more flexible by linking this to average attendances as an example.Probably won't happen but would offer a more accurate allocation club by club imo.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:06 pm

spen666 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Why do you expect that? Everything that’s been said so far from various sources points to grants being linked to attendances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Of course the money won't be distributed evenly. The NL will get the vast majority of the money, the NLN & NLS will get far less.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Of course the money won't be distributed evenly. The NL will get the vast majority of the money, the NLN & NLS will get far less.
No one is asking for the money to be distributed evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:25 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:44 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

On Wednesday, speaking in the House of Commons, minister for sport Nigel Huddleston confirmed the financial assistance, but said the criteria were still being developed.

"It will be based on those most in need. It will absolutely be focused on gate receipts," he said, adding that other sports would "definitely" be included. - BBC Sport

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:59 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm
So how much do we need as a club to cover the costs of playing behind closed doors? Ball park figure anyone?
In his update, David said Darlo if no help was forthcoming we would run out of cash in January and to finish the season would cost approx £250.000.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:54 pm

norwich darlo wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:59 pm
poppyfield wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm
In his update, David said Darlo if no help was forthcoming we would run out of cash in January and to finish the season would cost approx £250.000.
Wasn't that the lower end?

Black and white army

Post by Black and white army » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:41 am

Is anything set up for a season pass for season ticket holders as regards streaming so instead of a donation fans could watch the games.

EFL clubs are doing this for all home games and midweek away.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:07 am

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 pm

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:04 pm

We do not know the exact financial compensation each Club will receive for "for essential revenue lost from fans not returning in October" as per the statement from the NL. DJ explained we had to complete a return of some sort which I imagine requested our match day revenue, hospitality,50-50 draw, sponsorship etc. If this financial support to each Club is based on this, then what worries me is how the Government would treat yesterday's revenue (and any other match day revenue) from the TV coverage. Would they argue for example we had generated say 850 tickets (this was mentioned as a possible figure) times £7.99 (£6,471) therefore this would be deducted from the support package for that match?

Looked at another way, Clubs that have not been as forward thinking as our Board could just sit back and raise nothing, and receive the same proportionate amount as a Club like us. There must be some science to the bailout, but do we know what it is, none of the reports so far seem to confirm this.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 pm

There are clubs like us that could genuinely suffer if we don't get grant assistance and there are clubs like Fylde who spunk £100k on a signing yet tell other players to take cuts and will also expect their share of a bailout. Football clubs don't help the situation much do they.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 pm
There are clubs like us that could genuinely suffer if we don't get grant assistance and there are clubs like Fylde who spunk £100k on a signing yet tell other players to take cuts and will also expect their share of a bailout. Football clubs don't help the situation much do they.
True. The bailout however appears to be based on lost match day revenue though, and not what a Club's other running costs including salaries are?

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:06 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:04 pm
We do not know the exact financial compensation each Club will receive for "for essential revenue lost from fans not returning in October" as per the statement from the NL. DJ explained we had to complete a return of some sort which I imagine requested our match day revenue, hospitality,50-50 draw, sponsorship etc. If this financial support to each Club is based on this, then what worries me is how the Government would treat yesterday's revenue (and any other match day revenue) from the TV coverage. Would they argue for example we had generated say 850 tickets (this was mentioned as a possible figure) times £7.99 (£6,471) therefore this would be deducted from the support package for that match?

Looked at another way, Clubs that have not been as forward thinking as our Board could just sit back and raise nothing, and receive the same proportionate amount as a Club like us. There must be some science to the bailout, but do we know what it is, none of the reports so far seem to confirm this.
One thing that I have not seen, and maybe someone can confirm, is whether or not this is a grant without strings or if it is a loan that requires the club to pay it back. If a loan, and a backstop to any potential lost revenue, it would make sense for a club to do all they can, such as live streaming and virtual 50/50, so that they can avoid digging a future financial hole. This would also stop clubs sitting on their hands and doing nothing to make their situation more viable by their own efforts. So rather than an up front bundle of cash, it would be a fund that can be relied upon if and when needed, but with an incentive to try and avoid using it, if at all possible. If the situation were to change and crowds were allowed back before season's end, we could leave some of the loan untouched and lessen the amount that needs to be clawed back in the future. It might also avoid the bankrolled clubs, who may well have survived without help, seeing this as a freebie way of adding to their portfolio of expensive players, and reward clubs like our own for finding ways to draw income other than from attendances.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:55 pm

en passant wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:06 pm
bga wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:04 pm

One thing that I have not seen, and maybe someone can confirm, is whether or not this is a grant without strings or if it is a loan that requires the club to pay it back. If a loan, and a backstop to any potential lost revenue, it would make sense for a club to do all they can, such as live streaming and virtual 50/50, so that they can avoid digging a future financial hole. This would also stop clubs sitting on their hands and doing nothing to make their situation more viable by their own efforts. So rather than an up front bundle of cash, it would be a fund that can be relied upon if and when needed, but with an incentive to try and avoid using it, if at all possible. If the situation were to change and crowds were allowed back before season's end, we could leave some of the loan untouched and lessen the amount that needs to be clawed back in the future. It might also avoid the bankrolled clubs, who may well have survived without help, seeing this as a freebie way of adding to their portfolio of expensive players, and reward clubs like our own for finding ways to draw income other than from attendances.
Makes a lot of sense I agree with you.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:11 pm

It’s a grant and we will need it for this season.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 pm
True. The bailout however appears to be based on lost match day revenue though, and not what a Club's other running costs including salaries are?
And if a club is losing money on a match day because of the fan ban then they can't be spending £100k on a player either.